Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OK, I'm convinced I need to grind my own meat, tell me about yourgrinder.....

We have a Champion juicer and I was hoping there was an attachment for
the strong motor it has, but they don't make one.
Please tell me about what you have and why you like it.
Thanks, Nan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nan wrote:

> We have a Champion juicer and I was hoping there was an attachment for
> the strong motor it has, but they don't make one.
> Please tell me about what you have and why you like it.
> Thanks, Nan

I have an old Chop-Rite #10 that I bought 30 years ago (clamps on the
edge of a table), and a few years ago I bought an electric #12 from
Northern Hydraulic, now called Northern Tool. I think this is the
same model:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_36989_36989

I like it because it takes the same plates as my old Chop-Rite, and it
has a large feed tube so I can cut the meat into quite large strips
and it will handle it. It will grind up a whole brisket in just a few
minutes.

I would not get anything smaller than a heavy-duty #8 grinder.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Nan wrote:
>
> > We have a Champion juicer and I was hoping there was an attachment for
> > the strong motor it has, but they don't make one.
> > Please tell me about what you have and why you like it.
> > Thanks, Nan

> I have an old Chop-Rite #10 that I bought 30 years ago (clamps on the
> edge of a table), and a few years ago I bought an electric #12 from
> Northern Hydraulic, now called Northern Tool. I think this is the
> same model:
> http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_36989_36989
>
> I like it because it takes the same plates as my old Chop-Rite, and it
> has a large feed tube so I can cut the meat into quite large strips
> and it will handle it. It will grind up a whole brisket in just a few
> minutes.
>
> I would not get anything smaller than a heavy-duty #8 grinder.
>
> Bob

If you have a Kitchenaid stand mixer (or compatible like Hobart N-50),
the grinder attachment works well. I wouldn't try to use it to process a
huge amount of meat at one time, but it does just fine for up to say 6#
of meat at a time which would certainly cover most normal meals. I also
find that it only takes a few minutes to tear down and wash once you've
done it a few times.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nan wrote:

> We have a Champion juicer and I was hoping there was an attachment for
> the strong motor it has, but they don't make one.
> Please tell me about what you have and why you like it.
> Thanks, Nan

There used to be a meat grinder attachment for the
Champion, and you can still find them now and then on
eBay. However, it has no reduction gear. I think the
Champion motor spins way too fast for grinding meat
without a reduction gear.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have a KitchenAid stand mixer and the meat grinder accessory. Also
the sausage stuffer, a nice add-on. The mixer gets very frequent
use. The meat grinder gets less frequent but regular use. We don't
use ground meat often, but when we do use it almost always we grind it
ourselves. Far higher quality, lower cost, and full control over fat
content etc. The sausage stuffer is really neat, and home made
sausages are so delicious.

The meat grinder accessory is very easy to clean. Some gristle may
have to be pulled off the spindle by hand, but then all the parts can
go in the dishwasher. It is easy to wash by hand too.

If you process more than 10 pounds at one time, try to find a local
meat packer and have them do it for you. Know any hunters? They'll
know who the local packers are.

Pologirl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nan wrote:
> We have a Champion juicer and I was hoping there was an attachment for
> the strong motor it has, but they don't make one.
> Please tell me about what you have and why you like it.
> Thanks, Nan

We use an Oster Electric Meat Grinder. When our local market has beef on
sale (in a cryovac package), usually 25 pound packages I will buy one.
I cut it up into a few 3 pound roasts and then grind the rest for
burgers, meatloaf, meatballs, etc. When I do meat loaf I throw
everything in the grinder, bread, onion, spices. It is a great meat
grinder. Save about 50% off buying this way.

We lent the grinder to a neighbor who wanted to grind up his deer meat.
Deer meat was too much for the grinder, he broke it. The gears inside
are plastic and they broke. I was going to get the parts and repair,
but I luckily found another grinder at a yard sale. I don't lend it out
anymore....
--
Skype <fxdlrider2>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pologirl > wrote:

>I have a KitchenAid stand mixer and the meat grinder accessory. Also
>the sausage stuffer, a nice add-on. The mixer gets very frequent
>use. The meat grinder gets less frequent but regular use. We don't
>use ground meat often, but when we do use it almost always we grind it
>ourselves. Far higher quality, lower cost, and full control over fat
>content etc. The sausage stuffer is really neat, and home made
>sausages are so delicious.
>
>The meat grinder accessory is very easy to clean. Some gristle may
>have to be pulled off the spindle by hand, but then all the parts can
>go in the dishwasher. It is easy to wash by hand too.
>
>If you process more than 10 pounds at one time, try to find a local
>meat packer and have them do it for you. Know any hunters? They'll
>know who the local packers are.
>
>Pologirl

Wrong answer... if you have more meat than your teeny grinder can
handle thats all the more reason to own a larger grinder of your own,
the larger the quantity of meat the more reason to own ones own
grinder. Having someone else grind your meat regardless of quantity
is never a solution... then you're back where you started from,
mystery meat, only worse because now instead of having a tiny bit of
mystery meat you have a whole boatload of mystery meat. With all your
talk about cleaning your grinder then what is the point of someone
else grinding your meat with their schmutzic grinder. That's the main
purpose of owning ones own grinder, so that they know with absolute
certainty that all aspects of grinding are done clean.

I hope no one will be running out to buy one of those tiny cheapo
attachment grinders, they are so small that most folks will continue
to buy pregrond mystery meat because it's just too much trouble to
grind meat with the toys r us thingie, plus they don't produce a very
good grind anyway, they produce mostly smeared meat... mostly what
they do is take a nice piece of pricy meat and turn it into pet food,
clean pet food but pet food never the less.

Anyone contemplating buying a meat grinder I strongly suggest buying
the largest best quality grinder they can afford that is suitable for
the home cook... if you can't afford your dream grinder right now then
save your pennies until you can, you won't be sorry. The Waring Pro
from Cabelas is an excellent buy, for home use anything with greater
capacity is over engineered... if you can afford $500 for a grinder
and your ego feels neglected then go for it but you really don't need
a commercial grinder for home use... would be like buying a 38DD bra
when you really wear a 36C.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nan wrote:

> We have a Champion juicer and I was hoping there was an attachment for
> the strong motor it has, but they don't make one.
> Please tell me about what you have and why you like it.
> Thanks, Nan

We have two:

The grinder attachment for the KA. Works well and fairly easy to clean.

A hand-cranked cast iron version brought over from Holland. Also works
well and easy to clean. Heavy as all get-out though LOL.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 2, 12:08*pm, Nan > wrote:
> We have a Champion juicer and I was hoping there was an attachment for
> the strong motor it has, but they don't make one.
> Please tell me about what you have and why you like it.

I bought one off ebay for about $20. It's fine, except that the
suction cup isn't perfect. I have used my Cuisinart to chop meat, but
it was more like pulverized, like Taco Bell taco meat. I still
happily use store ground beef, especially when I'm cooking it well
done. I tell you a fun thing to do. Use a strip steak that's an inch
and a half. Trim it a bit and pepper the remaining fat, and the meat
next to the bone. Seriously sear it over a wood fire on a Weber
Kettle, then cap the kettle to smoke, leaving it blue rare. Grind and
serve on a platter with the bones behind the ground meat, and stale
toasted Italian bread pieces. I'd have a few shakers with fine ground
salt available.

> Thanks, Nan

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 2, 3:32*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> Wrong answer... if you have more meat than your teeny grinder can
> handle thats all the *more reason to own a larger grinder of your own,
> the larger the quantity of meat the more reason to own ones own
> grinder.

Depends how many times a year you use it, and how much you want to
spend on a grinder and a freezer etc. Some meat packers are
immaculate. I will buy ground meat from some supermarkets, not from
others. My local supermarket is not one of them. These days real
butcher shops are few and far between.

Pologirl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pologirl writes:
brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Wrong answer... if you have more meat than your teeny grinder can
>> handle thats all the *more reason to own a larger grinder of your own,
>> the larger the quantity of meat the more reason to own ones own
>> grinder.

>Depends how many times a year you use it, and how much you want to
>spend on a grinder and a freezer etc. Some meat packers are
>immaculate. I will buy ground meat from some supermarkets, not from
>others. My local supermarket is not one of them. These days real
>butcher shops are few and far between.

Cop out alert!

Uncanny how I can always pick out the cheapo ******* back pedaling
phonys who own no kind of grinder but like to pretend they do just so
they can have something to say in a thread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 2, 7:55*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> Uncanny how I can always pick out the cheapo ******* back pedaling
> phonys who own no kind of grinder but like to pretend they do just so
> they can have something to say in a thread.

I had ground elk steak Russian style for dinner a couple nights ago.
Mmm... The meat was a gift from the hunter, ground and packed in 1
pound units by a local packer. Neener neener.

Pologirl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pologirl" > wrote in message
On Nov 2, 3:32 pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> Wrong answer... if you have more meat than your teeny grinder can
> handle thats all the more reason to own a larger grinder of your own,
> the larger the quantity of meat the more reason to own ones own
> grinder.

Depends how many times a year you use it, and how much you want to
spend on a grinder and a freezer etc. Some meat packers are
immaculate. I will buy ground meat from some supermarkets, not from
others. My local supermarket is not one of them. These days real
butcher shops are few and far between.

I am only cooking for two of us now, but I still like to grind my meat
freshly when I want to use it. I prefer to do it myself for many reasons
which I am sure you already know if you are interested in grinders and read
here.

Mine can be seen here. I took these pics during the Hamburger thread:
http://tinypic.com/a/ziqb/2

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Pologirl" > wrote in message
> On Nov 2, 3:32 pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> > Wrong answer... if you have more meat than your teeny grinder can
> > handle thats all the more reason to own a larger grinder of your own,
> > the larger the quantity of meat the more reason to own ones own
> > grinder.

> Depends how many times a year you use it, and how much you want to
> spend on a grinder and a freezer etc. Some meat packers are
> immaculate. I will buy ground meat from some supermarkets, not from
> others. My local supermarket is not one of them. These days real
> butcher shops are few and far between.
>
> I am only cooking for two of us now, but I still like to grind my meat
> freshly when I want to use it. I prefer to do it myself for many reasons
> which I am sure you already know if you are interested in grinders and read
> here.
>
> Mine can be seen here. I took these pics during the Hamburger thread:
> http://tinypic.com/a/ziqb/2

For grinding meat for individual meals for a few servings or less, the
smaller grinders like the Kitchenaid attachment are better suited to the
task.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Pologirl" > wrote in message
> On Nov 2, 3:32 pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> > Wrong answer... if you have more meat than your teeny grinder can
> > handle thats all the more reason to own a larger grinder of your own,
> > the larger the quantity of meat the more reason to own ones own
> > grinder.

> Depends how many times a year you use it, and how much you want to
> spend on a grinder and a freezer etc. Some meat packers are
> immaculate. I will buy ground meat from some supermarkets, not from
> others. My local supermarket is not one of them. These days real
> butcher shops are few and far between.
>
> I am only cooking for two of us now, but I still like to grind my meat
> freshly when I want to use it. I prefer to do it myself for many reasons
> which I am sure you already know if you are interested in grinders and read
> here.
>
> Mine can be seen here. I took these pics during the Hamburger thread:
> http://tinypic.com/a/ziqb/2

When cooking for a few servings, the smaller grinders like the
Kitchenaid attachment are better suited to the task. Indeed grinding and
storing large batches of meat at home pretty much defeats the purposes
of home grinding - to eliminate the off taste from oxidation and to
eliminate contamination issues. If you want to buy large portions of
cheap meat to freeze, freeze them in whole primal cuts and only grind
them when you are ready to use them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 21:55:11 -0500, brooklyn1 wrote:

> Pologirl writes:
> brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> Wrong answer... if you have more meat than your teeny grinder can
>>> handle thats all the *more reason to own a larger grinder of your own,
>>> the larger the quantity of meat the more reason to own ones own
>>> grinder.

>>Depends how many times a year you use it, and how much you want to
>>spend on a grinder and a freezer etc. Some meat packers are
>>immaculate. I will buy ground meat from some supermarkets, not from
>>others. My local supermarket is not one of them. These days real
>>butcher shops are few and far between.
>>

> Cop out alert!
>
> Uncanny how I can always pick out the cheapo ******* back pedaling
> phonys who own no kind of grinder but like to pretend they do just so
> they can have something to say in a thread.

yep, sheldon, you are ever the shrewd judge of human character. must be
the outsider's point of view.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 16:44:18 -0500, Old Harley Rider
> wrote:

>Nan wrote:
>> We have a Champion juicer and I was hoping there was an attachment for
>> the strong motor it has, but they don't make one.
>> Please tell me about what you have and why you like it.
>> Thanks, Nan

>We use an Oster Electric Meat Grinder. When our local market has beef on
>sale (in a cryovac package), usually 25 pound packages I will buy one.
>I cut it up into a few 3 pound roasts and then grind the rest for
>burgers, meatloaf, meatballs, etc. When I do meat loaf I throw
>everything in the grinder, bread, onion, spices. It is a great meat
>grinder. Save about 50% off buying this way.
>
>We lent the grinder to a neighbor who wanted to grind up his deer meat.
>Deer meat was too much for the grinder, he broke it. The gears inside
>are plastic and they broke. I was going to get the parts and repair,
>but I luckily found another grinder at a yard sale. I don't lend it out
>anymore....

Lending tools out is only a good thing for the borrower.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 10:08:36 -0800 (PST), Nan >
wrote:

>We have a Champion juicer and I was hoping there was an attachment for
>the strong motor it has, but they don't make one.
>Please tell me about what you have and why you like it.
>Thanks, Nan

OK, I have 2 grinders, not counting the old manual clamp down
hand cranker, which I do not use any more (arthritis in hands
and wrists.) One is a KitchenAid on a K-6, and it works ok for
most things (there are just the two of us, but if you're going
to get out the gear you might as well make a big batch.) Have
the Sausage stuffer and it works fine, but then what's to fail?
It's just a tube.

I also have a VillaWare dedicated counter top grinder whose
working body is about the same as that of the KitchenAid
grinder attachment. Pro's a Both are generally good and
most of the parts are dishwasher safe. Both turn out good
product, without tendency to jam. Both are the corkscrew
drive types, so neither is easier than the other to clean.
Both have good motors, so I have had no probs grinding
meats with either one. Good sausage stuffers on both. A
nice feature on the V/W, is a switch that lets you say
"Oops!" and "Reverse that Motor!" OCcasionallyl useful.

Cons: Both are of limited output, but I can run them side by
side, which is a help. For sharpness, both have carbon steel
cutter blades and face plates, so I don't wash them in the
dishwasher. Drive screws, grinder bodies and locking rings
are all OK in the D/W. I like the VillaWare's aluminum
locking ring, as it never sticks. The VillaWare is very
noisy, but compared to the KA, it was a steal. Since I am
partially deaf, it doesn't bother me much. However, if you
had a burning need to grind pork for breakfast sausage at, say,
2:30 AM, no one in the house would get any sleep. for the
racket.

Oh, last thing. The plates and cutters on the V/W grinder
do not fit the KA, and vice versa. Bummer!

The V/W unit came with 3 face plates. I like that. Model is
5625-05, white plastic case, 320 watt. You can see at
Amazon.com.

Note: VillaWare is a Jarden Appliance Products brand and
they are not known for great customer service.

The newer ProGrinder sells for about the same, but has
a 375 Watt motor and a S/S case. Street prices about 80
or 90 $USD. I gave $56 for mine. (Tuesday Morning)

HTH, and good luck.

Alex, who will beg Omelet for her breakfast sausage
recipe and wait for a pork shoulder sale.

P.S. : Home-made sausage is a revelation. I prefer
small batch stuff like Aidell's (out of
San Francisco), when I buy commercial sausage,
Their page is worth a look. Aidells.com.
Imagine making your own pork links with sun dried
tomato and mozerella. Or chicken/apple, when apple
wood smoked. The mind boggles. Pork and mango?