Old 03-11-2009, 07:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OK, I'm convinced I need to grind my own meat, tell me aboutyour grinder.....

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 21:55:11 -0500, brooklyn1 wrote:

Pologirl writes:
brooklyn1 wrote:
Wrong answer... if you have more meat than your teeny grinder can
handle thats all the *more reason to own a larger grinder of your own,
the larger the quantity of meat the more reason to own ones own
grinder.

Depends how many times a year you use it, and how much you want to
spend on a grinder and a freezer etc. Some meat packers are
immaculate. I will buy ground meat from some supermarkets, not from
others. My local supermarket is not one of them. These days real
butcher shops are few and far between.

Cop out alert!

Uncanny how I can always pick out the cheapo ******* back pedaling
phonys who own no kind of grinder but like to pretend they do just so
they can have something to say in a thread.

yep, sheldon, you are ever the shrewd judge of human character. must be
the outsider's point of view.

blake

Old 03-11-2009, 11:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 16:44:18 -0500, Old Harley Rider
wrote:

Nan wrote:
We have a Champion juicer and I was hoping there was an attachment for
the strong motor it has, but they don't make one.
Please tell me about what you have and why you like it.
Thanks, Nan

We use an Oster Electric Meat Grinder. When our local market has beef on
sale (in a cryovac package), usually 25 pound packages I will buy one.
I cut it up into a few 3 pound roasts and then grind the rest for
burgers, meatloaf, meatballs, etc. When I do meat loaf I throw
everything in the grinder, bread, onion, spices. It is a great meat
grinder. Save about 50% off buying this way.

We lent the grinder to a neighbor who wanted to grind up his deer meat.
Deer meat was too much for the grinder, he broke it. The gears inside
are plastic and they broke. I was going to get the parts and repair,
but I luckily found another grinder at a yard sale. I don't lend it out
anymore....

Lending tools out is only a good thing for the borrower.

Lou
Old 04-11-2009, 09:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 10:08:36 -0800 (PST), Nan
wrote:

We have a Champion juicer and I was hoping there was an attachment for
the strong motor it has, but they don't make one.
Please tell me about what you have and why you like it.
Thanks, Nan

OK, I have 2 grinders, not counting the old manual clamp down
hand cranker, which I do not use any more (arthritis in hands
and wrists.) One is a KitchenAid on a K-6, and it works ok for
most things (there are just the two of us, but if you're going
to get out the gear you might as well make a big batch.) Have
the Sausage stuffer and it works fine, but then what's to fail?
It's just a tube.

I also have a VillaWare dedicated counter top grinder whose
working body is about the same as that of the KitchenAid
grinder attachment. Pro's a Both are generally good and
most of the parts are dishwasher safe. Both turn out good
product, without tendency to jam. Both are the corkscrew
drive types, so neither is easier than the other to clean.
Both have good motors, so I have had no probs grinding
meats with either one. Good sausage stuffers on both. A
nice feature on the V/W, is a switch that lets you say
"Oops!" and "Reverse that Motor!" OCcasionallyl useful.

Cons: Both are of limited output, but I can run them side by
side, which is a help. For sharpness, both have carbon steel
cutter blades and face plates, so I don't wash them in the
dishwasher. Drive screws, grinder bodies and locking rings
are all OK in the D/W. I like the VillaWare's aluminum
locking ring, as it never sticks. The VillaWare is very
noisy, but compared to the KA, it was a steal. Since I am
partially deaf, it doesn't bother me much. However, if you
had a burning need to grind pork for breakfast sausage at, say,
2:30 AM, no one in the house would get any sleep. for the
racket.

Oh, last thing. The plates and cutters on the V/W grinder
do not fit the KA, and vice versa. Bummer!

The V/W unit came with 3 face plates. I like that. Model is
5625-05, white plastic case, 320 watt. You can see at
Amazon.com.

Note: VillaWare is a Jarden Appliance Products brand and
they are not known for great customer service.

The newer ProGrinder sells for about the same, but has
a 375 Watt motor and a S/S case. Street prices about 80
or 90 $USD. I gave $56 for mine. (Tuesday Morning)

HTH, and good luck.

Alex, who will beg Omelet for her breakfast sausage
recipe and wait for a pork shoulder sale.

P.S. : Home-made sausage is a revelation. I prefer
small batch stuff like Aidell's (out of
San Francisco), when I buy commercial sausage,
Their page is worth a look. Aidells.com.
Imagine making your own pork links with sun dried
tomato and mozerella. Or chicken/apple, when apple
wood smoked. The mind boggles. Pork and mango?