FoodBanter.com

-   -   Persian Rice. (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/178473-persian-rice.html)

James Silverton[_4_] 31-10-2009 07:45 PM

Persian Rice.

Hello All!

I sometimes buy carry-out kebabs from a Halal Persian place and it
occurs to me that the rice served with it has grains much longer than
the usual long-grain rice. Can anyone tell me the name of this *very*
long-grain rice? A web search has not been too enlightening so far.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

aem 31-10-2009 08:03 PM

Persian Rice.

On Oct 31, 11:45 am, "James Silverton"
wrote:
Hello All!

I sometimes buy carry-out kebabs from a Halal Persian place and it
occurs to me that the rice served with it has grains much longer than
the usual long-grain rice. Can anyone tell me the name of this *very*
long-grain rice? A web search has not been too enlightening so far.

The recipes I've seen for Persian rice preparations call for basmati,
which is typically longer than long-grain. Maybe your Persian place
happened to get a crop that was especially long. Usually you soak
basmati prior to cooking, which will also expand it somewhat. -aem

Miche[_2_] 31-10-2009 08:53 PM

Persian Rice.

In article ,
"James Silverton" wrote:

Hello All!

I sometimes buy carry-out kebabs from a Halal Persian place and it
occurs to me that the rice served with it has grains much longer than
the usual long-grain rice. Can anyone tell me the name of this *very*
long-grain rice? A web search has not been too enlightening so far.

Basmati rice, probably.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

James Silverton[_4_] 31-10-2009 09:00 PM

Persian Rice.

Miche wrote on Sun, 01 Nov 2009 09:53:41 +1300:

Hello All!

I sometimes buy carry-out kebabs from a Halal Persian place
and it occurs to me that the rice served with it has grains
much longer than the usual long-grain rice. Can anyone tell
me the name of this *very* long-grain rice? A web search has
not been too enlightening so far.

Basmati rice, probably.

Miche

Thanks! Thanks to aem too! I think you are right and there is a
difference between the original Bismati rice and the Texmati that I have
been using. Texmati tastes quite good but it does not seem to expand as
much as the original. I suppose that's logical enough since Texmati is a
hybrid.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Miche[_2_] 31-10-2009 09:29 PM

Persian Rice.

In article ,
"James Silverton" wrote:

Miche wrote on Sun, 01 Nov 2009 09:53:41 +1300:

Hello All!

I sometimes buy carry-out kebabs from a Halal Persian place
and it occurs to me that the rice served with it has grains
much longer than the usual long-grain rice. Can anyone tell
me the name of this *very* long-grain rice? A web search has
not been too enlightening so far.

Basmati rice, probably.

Thanks! Thanks to aem too! I think you are right and there is a
difference between the original Bismati rice and the Texmati that I have
been using. Texmati tastes quite good but it does not seem to expand as
much as the original. I suppose that's logical enough since Texmati is a
hybrid.

Glad to have been of help. :)

Miche

--