FoodBanter.com

-   -   A contrast programme (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/178449-contrast-programme.html)

Victor Sack[_1_] 30-10-2009 11:25 PM

A contrast programme

The dinner tonight was a simple contrast programme, a kind of mari e
monti or surf & turf. It was also a bit too expensive to get repeated
often.

The dinner was half a dozen Gillardeau oysters on half shell, with just
a wedge of lemon for a few drops of juice on a couple of oysters, the
rest consumed au naturel. The main course was a variation on the pommes
sarladaise theme, namely potatoes fried in goose fat with onions, cèps
(porcini) mushrooms, garlic and parsley.

goose fat, as needed
3 medium potatoes, diced (small dice)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
125 g (1/4 pound) Ukrainian cèps (porcini), sliced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
parsley
salt and pepper

Melt the goose fat in a pan, add onions and fry for a bit. Add the
potatoes and fry over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 8
minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring frequently,
for another 8 minutes or so. Add the garlic and cook for about 5
minutes further, still stirring. Add the parsley and cook for 2 more
minutes. Salt and pepper. Serve.

Victor

Melba's Jammin' 31-10-2009 02:33 PM

A contrast programme

In article >,
(Victor Sack) wrote:
(snip)
> rest consumed au naturel. The main course was a variation on the pommes
> sarladaise theme, namely potatoes fried in goose fat with onions, cèps
> (porcini) mushrooms, garlic and parsley.
>
> goose fat, as needed

(snip)
> Victor

Bubba Vic, I know you have a fondness for goose fat. Is it your
preference for fat when butter or olive oil are not specified? Why? Is
it something you can purchase or is something you reserve when roasting
a goose? I've never roasted (nor tasted, I think) a goose but
understand them to be fatty and a good source of goose fat. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?

Sky 01-11-2009 02:55 AM

A contrast programme

Victor Sack wrote:

> The dinner tonight was a simple contrast programme, a kind of mari e
> monti or surf & turf. It was also a bit too expensive to get repeated
> often.
>
> The dinner was half a dozen Gillardeau oysters on half shell, with just
> a wedge of lemon for a few drops of juice on a couple of oysters, the
> rest consumed au naturel. The main course was a variation on the pommes
> sarladaise theme, namely potatoes fried in goose fat with onions, cèps
> (porcini) mushrooms, garlic and parsley.
>
> goose fat, as needed
> 3 medium potatoes, diced (small dice)
> 1 medium onion, finely chopped
> 125 g (1/4 pound) Ukrainian cèps (porcini), sliced
> 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
> parsley
> salt and pepper
>
> Melt the goose fat in a pan, add onions and fry for a bit. Add the
> potatoes and fry over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 8
> minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring frequently,
> for another 8 minutes or so. Add the garlic and cook for about 5
> minutes further, still stirring. Add the parsley and cook for 2 more
> minutes. Salt and pepper. Serve.

The oysters sound divine!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Victor Sack[_1_] 01-11-2009 10:10 PM

A contrast programme

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> (Victor Sack) wrote:
> (snip)
> > rest consumed au naturel. The main course was a variation on the pommes
> > sarladaise theme, namely potatoes fried in goose fat with onions, cèps
> > (porcini) mushrooms, garlic and parsley.
> >
> > goose fat, as needed

> (snip)
>
> Bubba Vic, I know you have a fondness for goose fat. Is it your
> preference for fat when butter or olive oil are not specified? Why?

I use goose fat basically only when it comes into its own i.e. adds its
inimitable flavour to the otherwise relatively bland ingredients (such
as potatoes). In this case, I added it because the cèps (porcini)
happended to be almost devoid of any aroma, so I figured they would not
have much taste, either - which turned out to be true, unfortunately.
The dish as a whole turned out fine, though.

> Is
> it something you can purchase or is something you reserve when roasting
> a goose?

Goose fat (Gänseschmalz, i.e. goose schmaltz), with or without Grieben
(cracklings), and with or without other additions, such as apples or
pork schmalz, is sold in nearly every supermarket here. I also have a
jar of French-produced pure rendered goose fat with no additions of any
kind whatever.

It is interesting that chicken fat, rendered or not, is not available
commercially here (in retail at least) as a rule. Duck fat is
occasionally available.

> I've never roasted (nor tasted, I think) a goose but
> understand them to be fatty and a good source of goose fat. :-)

Goose is good eating - and a good source of other things, fat being one.
The other thing is down and feathers. But its flesh, skin and fat
including, is unmatched, at least among domesticated birds. Few if any
birds are as flavourful as goose. All of goose flesh, breast including,
is "dark meat".

Victor