Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Low milk prices have dairy farmers killing cows

I find this disturbing. I can't believe there isn't another way to
deal with it. Government cheese for all?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...IVvfwD9BJ9LA82

Lou

DES MOINES, Iowa — A milk glut has dairy farmers across the U.S.
killing hundreds of thousands of cows to try to reduce the milk supply
and boost prices.

More than 225,000 cows have been killed this year through a program
run by the National Milk Producers Federation. It pays farmers going
out of business to slaughter their cows, rather than sell them to
someone else. Agriculture experts say another 55,000 cows are being
killed each week outside the program.

Milk processors started paying farmers less after the global recession
reduced demand for milk, especially overseas. Experts say the
slaughter has helped boost the prices some, but they still lag behind
the cost of production.

They also say grocery store prices will remain low because supply
still exceeds demand.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Related articles

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:04:41 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> I find this disturbing. I can't believe there isn't another way to
>> deal with it. Government cheese for all?

>Remember a whiles back when peeps were crying about the price of a gallon of
>milk, seems like ages ago now. Dairy products are now about as cheap as
>I've ever seen them...

It really wasn't that long ago. I remember Kili saying they were
paying almost 7 bucks a gallon maybe two years ago. Aldi just raised
their price to $1.79 from $1.49. I see Valli produce out in the burbs
has Dean's for $1.99. Dean's is almost never on sale. Wisconsin
cheeses are dirt cheap too. They've got a Wisconsin American on sale
for $1.99. So you can get real cheese cheaper that than Kraft
singles. I can't complain about the cheap prices but something has to
give.

>Will the increased cow supply mean cheaper beef, or...???

I'm sure in the short term it will.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> I find this disturbing. I can't believe there isn't another way to
>> deal with it. Government cheese for all?

> Remember a whiles back when peeps were crying about the price of a gallon of
> milk, seems like ages ago now. Dairy products are now about as cheap as
> I've ever seen them...
>
> Will the increased cow supply mean cheaper beef, or...???

Most dairy cattle get butchered for canned meats and ground meat.
Doesn't necessarily mean beef will be cheaper though. Friend sold a
bunch of calves in July that were picked up by the buyer this month.
Luckily he sold them then because the going price at auction as fallen
pretty good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 6:15*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Lou Decruss wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:04:41 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"

> > >Will the increased cow supply mean cheaper beef, or...???

> > I'm sure in the short term it will.

> I wonder how it will impact the price of mushrooms?

What? You mean the special mushrooms that grow in the cow fields? I
don't think that's a source supply thing. When we lived in Florida,
the high school students would go into the fields before school, right
at dawn, and collect 'em by the grocery sack. At least that's what my
teenage coworker told me, and he wasn't the bullshitting type.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 5:35*pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> On 27-Oct-2009, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
> > It really wasn't that long ago. *I remember Kili saying they were
> > paying almost 7 bucks a gallon maybe two years ago. *Aldi just raised
> > their price to $1.79 from $1.49.

> That's much lower than it is here (STL); the Aldi flyer that came in today's
> mail priced whole milk at $2.40/gallon and $2.14/gallon for skim.

Large eggs were $.79/doz today, 40% cream is $1.59/pint and they have
3# bags of apples for $1.19. I love Aldi.

Low grocery prices are a joy.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:04:41 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>
>> Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>>> I find this disturbing. I can't believe there isn't another way to
>>> deal with it. Government cheese for all?

>> Remember a whiles back when peeps were crying about the price of a
>> gallon of milk, seems like ages ago now. Dairy products are now
>> about as cheap as I've ever seen them...

> It really wasn't that long ago. I remember Kili saying they were
> paying almost 7 bucks a gallon maybe two years ago. Aldi just raised
> their price to $1.79 from $1.49. I see Valli produce out in the burbs
> has Dean's for $1.99. Dean's is almost never on sale. Wisconsin
> cheeses are dirt cheap too. They've got a Wisconsin American on sale
> for $1.99. So you can get real cheese cheaper that than Kraft
> singles. I can't complain about the cheap prices but something has to
> give.

Yup, I can't remember paying over two bux/gallon for milk for at least a
year now, and cheese went from being a special treat to a daily
staple...yogurt prices way down, too. I rarely eat ice cream so I don't
know those prices...eggs I've seen for as low as 57 cents per dozen.

>> Will the increased cow supply mean cheaper beef, or...???

> I'm sure in the short term it will.

Beef has been fairly reasonable, and pork has been downright cheap. I've
got my freezer compartment filled with various hunks of pork. Last night I
made some pulled pork bbq in the slow cooker...tonight after "resting" it'll
be ready for "take - off"...!!!

Even JEWEL has had some decent sales on pork, who knew...!!!???

I think I've mentioned that once per month I hit Restaurant Depot, the
to-the-trade wholesale place out by Chicago and Elston (the owner of my
corner gin mill has a business license and so she has a membership). Last
time I was eyeing a 15 lb. hunk of pork roast @ like 79 cents/lb, but I
laffed and said to my friend, "But I already HAVE my freezer compartment
stuffed to the gills...".

Here is their October flyer. it's a pdf that loads pretty quick:

http://www.restaurantbyclick.com/rd/...ose_island.pdf

I'm not complaining about reasonable prices, that's fer sure...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:04:41 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>
> >Lou Decruss wrote:
> >
> >> I find this disturbing. I can't believe there isn't another way to
> >> deal with it. Government cheese for all?

> >Remember a whiles back when peeps were crying about the price of a gallon of
> >milk, seems like ages ago now. Dairy products are now about as cheap as
> >I've ever seen them...

> It really wasn't that long ago. I remember Kili saying they were
> paying almost 7 bucks a gallon maybe two years ago. Aldi just raised
> their price to $1.79 from $1.49. I see Valli produce out in the burbs
> has Dean's for $1.99. Dean's is almost never on sale. Wisconsin
> cheeses are dirt cheap too. They've got a Wisconsin American on sale
> for $1.99. So you can get real cheese cheaper that than Kraft
> singles. I can't complain about the cheap prices but something has to
> give.
>
> >Will the increased cow supply mean cheaper beef, or...???

> I'm sure in the short term it will.
>
> Lou

I was at Aldi yesterday, and their milk has gone down from $1.79/gal to
$1.55/gal. Prior the the brief price increase to $1.79, Aldi had milk
at $1.49/gal for the longest time. Alas, I did not notice the current
price at the IGA.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:04:41 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
>
> >Will the increased cow supply mean cheaper beef, or...???

> I'm sure in the short term it will.

I wonder how it will impact the price of mushrooms?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 22:35:23 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>On 27-Oct-2009, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> It really wasn't that long ago. I remember Kili saying they were
>> paying almost 7 bucks a gallon maybe two years ago. Aldi just raised
>> their price to $1.79 from $1.49.

>That's much lower than it is here (STL); the Aldi flyer that came in today's
>mail priced whole milk at $2.40/gallon and $2.14/gallon for skim.

This is all types. I wonder why the difference? We're only like 5
hours apart.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:39:04 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> It really wasn't that long ago. I remember Kili saying they were
>> paying almost 7 bucks a gallon maybe two years ago. Aldi just raised
>> their price to $1.79 from $1.49. I see Valli produce out in the burbs
>> has Dean's for $1.99. Dean's is almost never on sale. Wisconsin
>> cheeses are dirt cheap too. They've got a Wisconsin American on sale
>> for $1.99. So you can get real cheese cheaper that than Kraft
>> singles. I can't complain about the cheap prices but something has to
>> give.

>Yup, I can't remember paying over two bux/gallon for milk for at least a
>year now, and cheese went from being a special treat to a daily
>staple...yogurt prices way down, too.

Cheese has always been a staple as we both love damn near any kind.
But I'm sure we eat a lot more when it's so cheap.

>I rarely eat ice cream so I don't
>know those prices...eggs I've seen for as low as 57 cents per dozen.

Valli produce has a coupon for $.29 a dozen but it's limit one.

>Beef has been fairly reasonable, and pork has been downright cheap. I've
>got my freezer compartment filled with various hunks of pork. Last night I
>made some pulled pork bbq in the slow cooker...tonight after "resting" it'll
>be ready for "take - off"...!!!

I just got a fresh ham for $.99 a pound. I'm thinking about trying to
make sausage for the first time.

>Even JEWEL has had some decent sales on pork, who knew...!!!???

Jewel needed to lower at least some of their prices or they were going
down.

>I think I've mentioned that once per month I hit Restaurant Depot, the
>to-the-trade wholesale place out by Chicago and Elston (the owner of my
>corner gin mill has a business license and so she has a membership). Last
>time I was eyeing a 15 lb. hunk of pork roast @ like 79 cents/lb, but I
>laffed and said to my friend, "But I already HAVE my freezer compartment
>stuffed to the gills...".
>
>Here is their October flyer. it's a pdf that loads pretty quick:
>
>http://www.restaurantbyclick.com/rd/...ose_island.pdf

I'd get in trouble there! I see they've got manchego cheese. It's
hard to find usually. I like it for the Fig And Walnut Tapenade I
make when I can get it. Otherwise I use Kefalograviera.

>I'm not complaining about reasonable prices, that's fer sure...

Me needer!

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 22:35:23 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>
>> On 27-Oct-2009, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>>
>>> It really wasn't that long ago. I remember Kili saying they were
>>> paying almost 7 bucks a gallon maybe two years ago. Aldi just raised
>>> their price to $1.79 from $1.49.

>> That's much lower than it is here (STL); the Aldi flyer that came in today's
>> mail priced whole milk at $2.40/gallon and $2.14/gallon for skim.

> This is all types. I wonder why the difference? We're only like 5
> hours apart.
>
> Lou

My local Albertson's has half gallons of their own branded milk
for $.50 this week, full fat and all of the other fat levels.
I was so surprised that I checked for expiration dates. All were
at least 7-10 days.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:37:53 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

> I find this disturbing. I can't believe there isn't another way to
> deal with it. Government cheese for all?
>
> http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...IVvfwD9BJ9LA82
>
> Lou
>
> DES MOINES, Iowa — A milk glut has dairy farmers across the U.S.
> killing hundreds of thousands of cows to try to reduce the milk supply
> and boost prices.
>
> More than 225,000 cows have been killed this year through a program
> run by the National Milk Producers Federation. It pays farmers going
> out of business to slaughter their cows, rather than sell them to
> someone else. Agriculture experts say another 55,000 cows are being
> killed each week outside the program.

yikes! i wonder where the meat is going.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:03:17 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 22:35:23 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>

>>On 27-Oct-2009, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>>
>>> It really wasn't that long ago. I remember Kili saying they were
>>> paying almost 7 bucks a gallon maybe two years ago. Aldi just raised
>>> their price to $1.79 from $1.49.

>>That's much lower than it is here (STL); the Aldi flyer that came in today's
>>mail priced whole milk at $2.40/gallon and $2.14/gallon for skim.

> This is all types. I wonder why the difference? We're only like 5
> hours apart.
>
> Lou

beats the hell out of me. tell me why you pay less for chicken when i'm
probably closer to the chicken's homeland.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:02:18 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:03:17 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

>>>That's much lower than it is here (STL); the Aldi flyer that came in today's
>>>mail priced whole milk at $2.40/gallon and $2.14/gallon for skim.

>> This is all types. I wonder why the difference? We're only like 5
>> hours apart.
>>
>> Lou

>beats the hell out of me. tell me why you pay less for chicken when i'm
>probably closer to the chicken's homeland.

Let's ask andy. He'll know.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:59:45 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:37:53 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> I find this disturbing. I can't believe there isn't another way to
>> deal with it. Government cheese for all?
>>
>> http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...IVvfwD9BJ9LA82
>>
>> Lou
>>
>> DES MOINES, Iowa — A milk glut has dairy farmers across the U.S.
>> killing hundreds of thousands of cows to try to reduce the milk supply
>> and boost prices.
>>
>> More than 225,000 cows have been killed this year through a program
>> run by the National Milk Producers Federation. It pays farmers going
>> out of business to slaughter their cows, rather than sell them to
>> someone else. Agriculture experts say another 55,000 cows are being
>> killed each week outside the program.

>yikes! i wonder where the meat is going.

5 pound plastic tubes of ground beef at walmart. Ya get what ya pay
for.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:59:45 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:37:53 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>>> I find this disturbing. I can't believe there isn't another way to
>>> deal with it. Government cheese for all?
>>>
>>> http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...IVvfwD9BJ9LA82
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>
>>> DES MOINES, Iowa - A milk glut has dairy farmers across the U.S.
>>> killing hundreds of thousands of cows to try to reduce the milk supply
>>> and boost prices.
>>>
>>> More than 225,000 cows have been killed this year through a program
>>> run by the National Milk Producers Federation. It pays farmers going
>>> out of business to slaughter their cows, rather than sell them to
>>> someone else. Agriculture experts say another 55,000 cows are being
>>> killed each week outside the program.

>>yikes! i wonder where the meat is going.

> 5 pound plastic tubes of ground beef at walmart. Ya get what ya pay
> for.
>
> Lou

Most of it probably goes to the soup companies. It would probably be canner
grade.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:55:23 -0500, "Ms P" >
wrote:

>> 5 pound plastic tubes of ground beef at walmart. Ya get what ya pay
>> for.
>>
>> Lou

>Most of it probably goes to the soup companies. It would probably be canner
>grade.

Another reason to not buy canned soup.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:37:29 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:02:18 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:

>>> This is all types. I wonder why the difference? We're only like 5
>>> hours apart.
>>>
>>> Lou

>>beats the hell out of me. tell me why you pay less for chicken when i'm
>>probably closer to the chicken's homeland.

> Let's ask andy. He'll know.
>
> Lou

<snort>

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:39:39 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:59:45 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:37:53 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>>> I find this disturbing. I can't believe there isn't another way to
>>> deal with it. Government cheese for all?
>>>
>>> http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...IVvfwD9BJ9LA82
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>
>>> DES MOINES, Iowa — A milk glut has dairy farmers across the U.S.
>>> killing hundreds of thousands of cows to try to reduce the milk supply
>>> and boost prices.
>>>
>>> More than 225,000 cows have been killed this year through a program
>>> run by the National Milk Producers Federation. It pays farmers going
>>> out of business to slaughter their cows, rather than sell them to
>>> someone else. Agriculture experts say another 55,000 cows are being
>>> killed each week outside the program.

>>yikes! i wonder where the meat is going.

> 5 pound plastic tubes of ground beef at walmart. Ya get what ya pay
> for.
>
> Lou

i was thinking dog food, but that's probably the same thing.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
>"Ms P"wrote:
>
>>> 5 pound plastic tubes of ground MYSTERY beef at walmart. Ya get what ya pay
>>> for.
>>>
>>> Lou

>>Most of it probably goes to the soup companies. It would probably be canner
>>grade.

>Another reason to not buy canned soup.
>
>Lou

That's why I make huge pots of soups... I know what's/who's in it...
then freeze individual portions to use later. With many types of soup
I reduce them so I have 50% condensed soups so I save on freezer
space. Actually my homemade soups are so flavorful and thick that I
can add back better than half the water. I don't bother making tomato
soups... condensed tomato soup is always in my pantry in the form of
canned tomato paste.... only takes minutes to turn a tin of tomato
paste into a big bowl of tomato egg drop, tomato rice, tomato
tubesteak, even tomato ramen. All commercial tomato food products are
made from paste and/or dehydrated tomatoes; tomato juice, ketchup,
tomato sauce, all tomato based soups. Yes, the meat used in canned
soup is ugly, and canned soups are ridiculously expensive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:56:20 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>>>beats the hell out of me. tell me why you pay less for chicken when i'm
>>>probably closer to the chicken's homeland.

>> Let's ask andy. He'll know.
>>
>> Lou

> <snort>

It's a conundrum. I pay more for gas than most people and I can see
the oil refineries across the Bay, if I'm standing in the right spot.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:52:09 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:03:17 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> This is all types. I wonder why the difference? We're only like 5
>>> hours apart.
>>>
>>> Lou

>> beats the hell out of me. tell me why you pay less for chicken when
>> i'm probably closer to the chicken's homeland.

>Maybe with the crackdown on the employment of illegals there's now a dearth
>of chicken - catchers in yer area, blake...

Chicken - Catchers???? ROFLMAO

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 12:54:32 -0400, brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:

>>>Most of it probably goes to the soup companies. It would probably be canner
>>>grade.

>>Another reason to not buy canned soup.
>>
>>Lou

>That's why I make huge pots of soups... I know what's/who's in it...
>then freeze individual portions to use later. With many types of soup
>I reduce them so I have 50% condensed soups so I save on freezer
>space. Actually my homemade soups are so flavorful and thick that I
>can add back better than half the water. I don't bother making tomato
>soups... condensed tomato soup is always in my pantry in the form of
>canned tomato paste.... only takes minutes to turn a tin of tomato
>paste into a big bowl of tomato egg drop, tomato rice, tomato
>tubesteak, even tomato ramen. All commercial tomato food products are
>made from paste and/or dehydrated tomatoes; tomato juice, ketchup,
>tomato sauce, all tomato based soups. Yes, the meat used in canned
>soup is ugly, and canned soups are ridiculously expensive.

You think the meat in canned soup is worse than what's in that spam
crap you love so much? That aside I agree with you.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:57:24 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:39:39 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:59:45 -0400, blake murphy
>> > wrote:

>>>yikes! i wonder where the meat is going.

>> 5 pound plastic tubes of ground beef at walmart. Ya get what ya pay
>> for.
>>
>> Lou

>i was thinking dog food, but that's probably the same thing.

Any meat in a can I've ever smelled resembled dog food. I wonder what
makes that happen? I once bought a 6 pack of Hormel corned beef for
hash at Costco. It smelled pretty bad but I fried it up anyway and it
wasn't too bad. But I don't buy it anymore.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:03:17 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 22:35:23 GMT, "l, not -l" >
>> wrote:

>>> That's much lower than it is here (STL); the Aldi flyer that came
>>> in today's mail priced whole milk at $2.40/gallon and $2.14/gallon
>>> for skim.

>> This is all types. I wonder why the difference? We're only like 5
>> hours apart.
>>
>> Lou

> beats the hell out of me. tell me why you pay less for chicken when
> i'm probably closer to the chicken's homeland.

Maybe with the crackdown on the employment of illegals there's now a dearth
of chicken - catchers in yer area, blake...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:39:04 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:52:09 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
>> > wrote:

>>> Maybe with the crackdown on the employment of illegals there's now a
>>> dearth of chicken - catchers in yer area, blake...

>> Chicken - Catchers???? ROFLMAO

>Believe it or not, it's a real job, Lou...do you think the chickens march
>off voluntarily to their deaths...!!!???

<laughing> I guess I just never thought about it. But the job title
still cracks me up.

>;-P
>
>Seriously, a few years back there was an article in a DC paper (_City Paper_
>IIRC, it's the DC equivalent to the Chicago _Reader_) about this. It's just
>about the krappiest job there is...it described the lives of these poor sods
>working as chicken - catchers at the MD/DE Eastern Shore chicken farms,
>asmtha from all those chicken feathers and chicken poop dust was just one of
>those problems. Just about the only peeps who did this work were Mexi
>illegals and black ghetto ex - felon types who could find no other work...

I don't know the current status of the trade but in the 80's-90's the
asbestos abatement trade was almost all done by what you describe.
I'd bet they were making more than chicken catchers. I was the
electrician and was responsible for making sure nobody got
electrocuted in the work area. I'm union and they were making almost
as much as me and most were fresh out of prison. I was in charge of
60+ other properties but I spent 90% of 12 years there. I became good
friends with one on the maintenance techs. The asbestos killed him at
43 years of age.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:55:36 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:57:24 -0400, blake murphy
>> > wrote:

>>> i was thinking dog food, but that's probably the same thing.

>> Any meat in a can I've ever smelled resembled dog food. I wonder what
>> makes that happen? I once bought a 6 pack of Hormel corned beef for
>> hash at Costco. It smelled pretty bad but I fried it up anyway and it
>> wasn't too bad. But I don't buy it anymore.

>If ya want BAD canned meat, try Armour Star "Treet"...it was terrible! And
>just for the record, I enjoy the occasional can of Spam...

Louise likes it so she goes through a can or two per year. Mostly on
pizza. I'll make the pizza for her but usually pass on eating it.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:52:09 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:

>>> beats the hell out of me. tell me why you pay less for chicken when
>>> i'm probably closer to the chicken's homeland.

>> Maybe with the crackdown on the employment of illegals there's now a
>> dearth of chicken - catchers in yer area, blake...

> Chicken - Catchers???? ROFLMAO

Believe it or not, it's a real job, Lou...do you think the chickens march
off voluntarily to their deaths...!!!???

;-P

Seriously, a few years back there was an article in a DC paper (_City Paper_
IIRC, it's the DC equivalent to the Chicago _Reader_) about this. It's just
about the krappiest job there is...it described the lives of these poor sods
working as chicken - catchers at the MD/DE Eastern Shore chicken farms,
asmtha from all those chicken feathers and chicken poop dust was just one of
those problems. Just about the only peeps who did this work were Mexi
illegals and black ghetto ex - felon types who could find no other work...

===>>> there are LOTS of chickens in Delaware...

--
Best
Greg

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:57:24 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:39:39 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:59:45 -0400, blake murphy

>>> 5 pound plastic tubes of ground beef at walmart. Ya get what ya pay
>>> for.
>>>
>>> Lou

>> i was thinking dog food, but that's probably the same thing.

> Any meat in a can I've ever smelled resembled dog food. I wonder what
> makes that happen? I once bought a 6 pack of Hormel corned beef for
> hash at Costco. It smelled pretty bad but I fried it up anyway and it
> wasn't too bad. But I don't buy it anymore.

If ya want BAD canned meat, try Armour Star "Treet"...it was terrible! And
just for the record, I enjoy the occasional can of Spam...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

This is immoral, they ought to distribute the excess to homeless
shelters and senior programs.

Cheers,
Chuck Kopsho
Oceanside, California

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chuck Kopsho" > wrote in message
> This is immoral, they ought to distribute the excess to homeless
> shelters and senior programs.
>
> Cheers,
> Chuck Kopsho
> Oceanside, California

Regan did just that, giving away government cheese, dry milk, peanut butter.
Better to give it away that pay to store it for years.

What is immoral is the government interference of the free market system.
Let the farmers sell milk for what they can get for it. If they don't get
enough, eat the cows and open a used car lot. The barn would be good for
service bays.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Chuck Kopsho" > wrote in message
>> This is immoral, they ought to distribute the excess to homeless
>> shelters and senior programs.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Chuck Kopsho
>> Oceanside, California
>>

> Regan did just that, giving away government cheese, dry milk, peanut butter.
> Better to give it away that pay to store it for years.
>
> What is immoral is the government interference of the free market system.
> Let the farmers sell milk for what they can get for it. If they don't get
> enough, eat the cows and open a used car lot. The barn would be good for
> service bays.

Agriculture subsidies have been with us for eons. My wife had an old
uncle who was paid big bucks every year to put his tobacco acreage in
the "land bank." He then ran cattle on the 800 acres for many years,
continuing to make a profit off the cattle and the gubmint.

By the way, the gubmint still gives cheese, dry milk, peanut butter,
pasta and other commodities to old people who are living below the
poverty level. There is a monthly hand out here in our city, I see it
advertised in the paper every month.