Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Default Red/White Miso Soup with Tofu -- any good or any use?

G'day mates,

The local IGA supermarket is flogging 400 g (approx. 400 ml) cans of
both Red and White Miso Soups with Tofu at 29c per can. (Seems no one
in this town likes the stuff much. :-)

I'm totally unfamiliar with the stuff, but at 29c/can I can't help
wondering if it can be put to any edible use. Perhaps as a stock for
cooking something? Or as a base to which things can be added to make
a decent brew?

I did ask a local gourmand about the stuff, but he just said that he
couldn't stand it (though it seems his partner occasionally drinks it
for breakfast -- I think that's one of the ways the Nips use it too).

Anyway, if anyone here has a bright idea about what it could be used
for to end up with something palatable as well as edible, then please
share it with the rest of us. TIA.

[It's "Pandaroo" brand from Thailand, if that has any relevance.]

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Phred wrote on Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:54:48 GMT:

> The local IGA supermarket is flogging 400 g (approx. 400 ml)
> cans of both Red and White Miso Soups with Tofu at 29c per
> can. (Seems no one in this town likes the stuff much. :-)

> I'm totally unfamiliar with the stuff, but at 29c/can I can't
> help wondering if it can be put to any edible use. Perhaps as
> a stock for cooking something? Or as a base to which things
> can be added to make a decent brew?

> I did ask a local gourmand about the stuff, but he just said
> that he couldn't stand it (though it seems his partner
> occasionally drinks it for breakfast -- I think that's one of
> the ways the Nips use it too).

> Anyway, if anyone here has a bright idea about what it could
> be used for to end up with something palatable as well as
> edible, then please share it with the rest of us. TIA.

> [It's "Pandaroo" brand from Thailand, if that has any
> relevance.]

Miso soup is remarkably cheap and quick to make using Hon-Dashi dried
stock and any Miso (it keeps for a long time). It hardly seems
worthwhile buying it ready made. If you have some tofu around you can
put in some little cubes but I've never seen much reason for it except
appearance. Judging by Japanese restaurants, the amount of tofu used can
hardly contribute much to protein intake.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 27, 2:54 am, (Phred) wrote:

> The local IGA supermarket is flogging 400 g (approx. 400 ml) cans of
> both Red and White Miso Soups with Tofu at 29c per can. (Seems no one
> in this town likes the stuff much. :-)
>
> I'm totally unfamiliar with the stuff, but at 29c/can I can't help
> wondering if it can be put to any edible use. Perhaps as a stock for
> cooking something? Or as a base to which things can be added to make
> a decent brew? [snip]

Millions of people, including me, like it as a soup, a small bowl to
begin a meal. Why not give it a try that way? (I think the white is
more popular than the red.) If you like it, 29c sounds like a good
pantry stocking price. Here in the U.S. miso soup for the pantry is
usually a dehydrated mix with a piece of seaweed and a sprinkle of
tofu cubes added.

For cooking purposes, miso paste is usually used. I don't know how
(or why) you'd use the soup. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Phred wrote:
> G'day mates,
>
> The local IGA supermarket is flogging 400 g (approx. 400 ml) cans of
> both Red and White Miso Soups with Tofu at 29c per can. (Seems no one
> in this town likes the stuff much. :-)
>
> I'm totally unfamiliar with the stuff, but at 29c/can I can't help
> wondering if it can be put to any edible use. Perhaps as a stock for
> cooking something? Or as a base to which things can be added to make
> a decent brew?
>
> I did ask a local gourmand about the stuff, but he just said that he
> couldn't stand it (though it seems his partner occasionally drinks it
> for breakfast -- I think that's one of the ways the Nips use it too).
>
> Anyway, if anyone here has a bright idea about what it could be used
> for to end up with something palatable as well as edible, then please
> share it with the rest of us. TIA.
>
> [It's "Pandaroo" brand from Thailand, if that has any relevance.]

Huh. Canned miso. <grimace> Doesn't sound real appealing. How 'bout
just miso paste (I like the brown or white, but that's just me) in hot
water, perhaps with some dashi, and some tofu? Or just the miso alone,
I enjoy that quite often m'self. And the plain miso will be far more
economical and have far less extraneous scheisse in it than canned, I'd
wager.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 09:10:09 -0700 (PDT), aem wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2:54 am, (Phred) wrote:
>>
>> The local IGA supermarket is flogging 400 g (approx. 400 ml) cans of
>> both Red and White Miso Soups with Tofu at 29c per can. (Seems no one
>> in this town likes the stuff much. :-)
>>
>> I'm totally unfamiliar with the stuff, but at 29c/can I can't help
>> wondering if it can be put to any edible use. Perhaps as a stock for
>> cooking something? Or as a base to which things can be added to make
>> a decent brew? [snip]

> Millions of people, including me, like it as a soup, a small bowl to
> begin a meal. Why not give it a try that way? (I think the white is
> more popular than the red.) If you like it, 29c sounds like a good
> pantry stocking price. Here in the U.S. miso soup for the pantry is
> usually a dehydrated mix with a piece of seaweed and a sprinkle of
> tofu cubes added.
>
> For cooking purposes, miso paste is usually used. I don't know how
> (or why) you'd use the soup. -aem

is it just me, or is miso paste a *lot* more expensive than it used to be?
(i'm not speaking of inflation - i mean going from 'my god, that's cheap'
to 'my god, that's expensive.')

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:32:13 -0400:

>> On Oct 27, 2:54 am, (Phred) wrote:
>>>
>>> The local IGA supermarket is flogging 400 g (approx. 400 ml)
>>> cans of both Red and White Miso Soups with Tofu at 29c per
>>> can. (Seems no one in this town likes the stuff much. :-)
>>>
>>> I'm totally unfamiliar with the stuff, but at 29c/can I
>>> can't help wondering if it can be put to any edible use.
>>> Perhaps as a stock for cooking something? Or as a base to
>>> which things can be added to make a decent brew? [snip]

>> Millions of people, including me, like it as a soup, a small
>> bowl to begin a meal. Why not give it a try that way? (I
>> think the white is more popular than the red.) If you like
>> it, 29c sounds like a good pantry stocking price. Here in
>> the U.S. miso soup for the pantry is usually a dehydrated mix
>> with a piece of seaweed and a sprinkle of tofu cubes added.
>>
>> For cooking purposes, miso paste is usually used. I don't
>> know how (or why) you'd use the soup. -aem

> is it just me, or is miso paste a *lot* more expensive than it
> used to be? (i'm not speaking of inflation - i mean going from
> 'my god, that's cheap' to 'my god, that's expensive.')

Would you like to provide a few figures? I think the pound (approx.)
jars have gone from three to five bucks in the time I've been buying at
the Kim Sam supermarket.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:32:13 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>is it just me, or is miso paste a *lot* more expensive than it used to be?
>(i'm not speaking of inflation - i mean going from 'my god, that's cheap'
>to 'my god, that's expensive.')

I don't buy it, but given the current sushi craze I wouldn't be
surprised.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote

> I don't buy it, but given the current sushi craze I wouldn't be
> surprised.

Smile, miso isnt used in sushi. It probably has more to do with the dollar
to yen ratio.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:34:04 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

>"sf" wrote
>
>> I don't buy it, but given the current sushi craze I wouldn't be
>> surprised.

>Smile, miso isnt used in sushi. It probably has more to do with the dollar
>to yen ratio.

No, but it's served in sushi (Japanese) restaurants as part of the
meal and a LOT of people make it at home now because it's basically
add water, heat and eat.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

<snip>

> is it just me, or is miso paste a *lot* more expensive than it used to be?
> (i'm not speaking of inflation - i mean going from 'my god, that's cheap'
> to 'my god, that's expensive.')
>
> your pal,
> blake

Doesn't seem expensive where we buy it. The white/yellow miso from Japan
runs about 4.00--5.00 per 1 lb pack. We keep it in the freezer cos we
don't use it more than once a week or so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:41:22 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> blake wrote on Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:32:13 -0400:

>>> Millions of people, including me, like it as a soup, a small
>>> bowl to begin a meal. Why not give it a try that way? (I
>>> think the white is more popular than the red.) If you like
>>> it, 29c sounds like a good pantry stocking price. Here in
>>> the U.S. miso soup for the pantry is usually a dehydrated mix
>>> with a piece of seaweed and a sprinkle of tofu cubes added.
>>>
>>> For cooking purposes, miso paste is usually used. I don't
>>> know how (or why) you'd use the soup. -aem

>> is it just me, or is miso paste a *lot* more expensive than it
>> used to be? (i'm not speaking of inflation - i mean going from
>> 'my god, that's cheap' to 'my god, that's expensive.')

> Would you like to provide a few figures? I think the pound (approx.)
> jars have gone from three to five bucks in the time I've been buying at
> the Kim Sam supermarket.

i wish i could provide the figures. my impression is more like a buck to
five bucks, but i can't be certain. more likely i'm poorer now and it
seems like a lot more money.

your pal,
blake

Curried Tofu Apple Soup (Tofu) workingonit Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2010 03:05 AM
Miso Soup eatwell General Cooking 0 11-01-2007 02:02 AM
Miso baked tofu - and aubergine thing Kake L Pugh Vegetarian cooking 4 08-12-2006 08:25 AM
Miso soup and leftover tofu notbob General Cooking 3 23-09-2006 06:56 PM