Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping: RavenLynne Apple-Pecan Tart

I'm starting to read through your blog and found this recipe - another
Nov 1st possibility!

I'm wondering this - I don't like maple syrup as an ingredient. Do
you think I could successfully substitute Karo syrup?

TIA
``````````

Apple-Pecan Tart
By Florence Fabricant
November 12, 2008

Time: 2 hours

1 1/3 cups flour, more for rolling
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1 large egg yolk plus 3 large eggs
2 medium tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
1 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup heavy cream, whipped, for serving.

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place flour, sugar and salt in food
processor. Pulse to blend. Dice 8 tablespoons butter, place in food
processor and give it about 20 quick pulses, until butter is in tiny
lumps. Beat egg yolk with 4 tablespoons ice water. Open cover of
machine and sprinkle in egg mixture. Pulse briefly. Ingredients
should start to clump together to form a dough; do not allow a ball of
dough to form. If dough is too dry to hold together, add another
teaspoon or two of water and pulse again.

2. Transfer dough mixture to lightly floured work surface and gather
together to form into a flat, smooth disk. Roll to a circle about 13
inches in diameter and fit into a 10-inch fluted tart pan. Line with
foil, weight with pastry weights and bake 10 minutes, until
dry-looking. Remove foil and weights, prick bottom of pastry in a few
places and bake until golden, about 20 minutes more. Remove from
oven.

3. While pastry is baking melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a
skillet. Add apples and sauté over medium-high heat until lightly
browned. Stir in brown sugar, then add pecans. Sauté another minute.
Remove from heat and spread in baked pastry. Beat eggs, stir in syrup
and vanilla and pour over apples and pecans.

4. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake until set
and browned on top, about 25 minutes more.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

To make ahead: Bake tart; let cool completely. Wrap pan and all in
plastic, then foil. Freeze. Thaw 2 hours, then bake at 350 degrees
for 20 minutes and allow to cool 30 minutes before serving with
whipped cream.

Pastry can be mixed, formed into a disk, wrapped in plastic and
refrigerated up to 2 days in advance of using. Let it come to room
temperature 1 hour before rolling. Prebaked pastry, cooled, not
filled, can also be frozen in pan, wrapped in plastic, for up to 1
week.

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:11:00 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 14:09:24 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>I'm starting to read through your blog and found this recipe - another
>>Nov 1st possibility!

>Not recipes from blogs..unless that person has already posted the
>recipe beforehand to rfc. Just recipes from rfc, or the signature
>dishes page, or the cookbook.

Of course you're right, but the question still stands.