Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How can I fry an egg in my stainless steel pan?

OK. I got a nice tri-ply Calphalon frying pan. When it was out of the box, a
little EVOO would make a fried egg slide around the pan like it was on
wheels. After that, it's almost impossible to get eggs not to stick on. I've
use butter w/oil, straight peanut oil, eggs dropped into cold pan & eggs
dropped into hot pans and they all stick. I'm sick and tired of buying
Teflon pans that I've got to through away after a year or so of use, not to
mention what may or may not be getting into my food from it.

How can I get the pan to cook eggs like my first experience?
--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 26, 12:01*pm, Wilson > wrote:

> How can I get the pan to cook eggs like my first experience?

Pan on burner. Turn on burner. Add generous amount of oil. Bring to
shimmer stage. Add egg.

Works a treat in my cast iron pan every morning.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 26, 11:01*am, Wilson > wrote:
> OK. I got a nice tri-ply Calphalon frying pan. When it was out of the box, a
> little EVOO would make a fried egg slide around the pan like it was on
> wheels. After that, it's almost impossible to get eggs not to stick on. I've
> use butter w/oil, straight peanut oil, eggs dropped into cold pan & eggs
> dropped into hot pans and they all stick. I'm sick and tired of buying
> Teflon pans that I've got to through away after a year or so of use, not to
> mention what may or may not be getting into my food from it.
>
> How can I get the pan to cook eggs like my first experience?
> --
> Wilson 44.69, -67.3

It's non-stick? You still need some grease. Heat the pan, drop in
some butter, or even spray it with Pam or something - let it get hot
- drop in the egg. Don't mess with the egg until you're ready to turn
it (or do whatever you do) - right when you first drop it in, it might
stick, but not after the bottom is cooked a little.

I use stainless steel and/or a cheap T-Fal non-stick, and never have
trouble with either one. (My stainless was made by All-Clad - it is
NOT non-stick.)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wilson" > wrote in message
> OK. I got a nice tri-ply Calphalon frying pan. When it was out of the box,
> a little EVOO would make a fried egg slide around the pan like it was on
> wheels. After that, it's almost impossible to get eggs not to stick on.
> I've use butter w/oil, straight peanut oil, eggs dropped into cold pan &
> eggs dropped into hot pans and they all stick. I'm sick and tired of
> buying Teflon pans that I've got to through away after a year or so of
> use, not to mention what may or may not be getting into my food from it.
>
> How can I get the pan to cook eggs like my first experience?
> --
> Wilson 44.69, -67.3

I feel your pain. Tried in vain to fry eggs in my Farberware stainless pans
years ago. Finally gave up and switched to
cast iron and Circulon. I 'gifted' the Farberware pans to my daughter when
she set up her own place a few years ago
and she has no problem frying eggs in them.

Her comment when I asked her the secret? "Lower the heat, dummy". OK, so
maybe patience was never my strong point.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:01:31 -0400, Wilson >
wrote:

>OK. I got a nice tri-ply Calphalon frying pan. When it was out of the box, a
>little EVOO would make a fried egg slide around the pan like it was on
>wheels. After that, it's almost impossible to get eggs not to stick on. I've
>use butter w/oil, straight peanut oil, eggs dropped into cold pan & eggs
>dropped into hot pans and they all stick. I'm sick and tired of buying
>Teflon pans that I've got to through away after a year or so of use, not to
>mention what may or may not be getting into my food from it.
>
>How can I get the pan to cook eggs like my first experience?

Get a nice cast iron pan, season it, fry eggs, donate SS pan to
Goodwill or keep as a pretty, but mostly useless decoration.

Ross.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>OK. I got a nice tri-ply Calphalon frying pan. When it was out of the box, a
>little EVOO would make a fried egg slide around the pan like it was on
>wheels. After that, it's almost impossible to get eggs not to stick on. I've
>use butter w/oil, straight peanut oil, eggs dropped into cold pan & eggs
>dropped into hot pans and they all stick. I'm sick and tired of buying
>Teflon pans that I've got to through away after a year or so of use, not to
>mention what may or may not be getting into my food from it.
>
>How can I get the pan to cook eggs like my first experience?

Must admit, I feel your pain.

While I have many S/S pans, I rarely use them for frying anymore.
Problem: Some foods leave a slight coating on the S/S cooking
surface and this seems to increase the "stickability" of the metal.
It's most obvious when you make rice or beans in a S/S saucepan,
and have to buff it clean. My copperware is S/S lined, and
periodically I have to get out the BonAMi (Gypsum) and polish
them bright. Now for eggs I use silverstone, or, for fritattas
and scrambled, I use Cast Iron. I still use my S/S sometimes for
roux, but rarely for browning or cooking eggs.

HTH

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:01:31 -0400, Wilson >
> wrote:
>
>>OK. I got a nice tri-ply Calphalon frying pan. When it was out of the box,
>>little EVOO would make a fried egg slide around the pan like it was on
>>wheels. After that, it's almost impossible to get eggs not to stick on.
>>I've
>>use butter w/oil, straight peanut oil, eggs dropped into cold pan & eggs
>>dropped into hot pans and they all stick. I'm sick and tired of buying
>>Teflon pans that I've got to through away after a year or so of use, not
>>mention what may or may not be getting into my food from it.
>>
>>How can I get the pan to cook eggs like my first experience?

> Get a nice cast iron pan, season it, fry eggs, donate SS pan to
> Goodwill or keep as a pretty, but mostly useless decoration.
>
> Ross.

Don't agree with that at all. I have a 12" heavy bottomed SS frying pan I
use for tons of things. Anything you need to deglaze is not going to be
doable in a cast iron pan, unless you want to re-season each time. Making a
pasta sauce, steaming mussels in wine, browning meat, doing dishes that go
from the burner to the oven without changing pans. Its all good.

I just don't use it to fry eggs in it.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sometime in the recent past Nancy2 posted this:
> On Oct 26, 11:01 am, Wilson > wrote:
>> OK. I got a nice tri-ply Calphalon frying pan. When it was out of the box, a
>> little EVOO would make a fried egg slide around the pan like it was on
>> wheels. After that, it's almost impossible to get eggs not to stick on. I've
>> use butter w/oil, straight peanut oil, eggs dropped into cold pan & eggs
>> dropped into hot pans and they all stick. I'm sick and tired of buying
>> Teflon pans that I've got to through away after a year or so of use, not to
>> mention what may or may not be getting into my food from it.
>>
>> How can I get the pan to cook eggs like my first experience?
>> --
>> Wilson 44.69, -67.3

> It's non-stick? You still need some grease. Heat the pan, drop in
> some butter, or even spray it with Pam or something - let it get hot
> - drop in the egg. Don't mess with the egg until you're ready to turn
> it (or do whatever you do) - right when you first drop it in, it might
> stick, but not after the bottom is cooked a little.
>
> I use stainless steel and/or a cheap T-Fal non-stick, and never have
> trouble with either one. (My stainless was made by All-Clad - it is
> NOT non-stick.)
>
> N.

Thanks Nancy2, but this isn't a non-stick pan.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sometime in the recent past maxine in ri posted this:
> On Oct 26, 12:01 pm, Wilson > wrote:
>
>> How can I get the pan to cook eggs like my first experience?

> Pan on burner. Turn on burner. Add generous amount of oil. Bring to
> shimmer stage. Add egg.
>
> Works a treat in my cast iron pan every morning.
>
> maxine in ri

Yes, I too have a nice seasoned black cast iron pan which works fine with
eggs. I'm just a little lazy about cleaning it and re-seasoning which is why
I thought I'd try the stainless steel.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sometime in the recent past Zeppo posted this:

> "Wilson" > wrote in message
>> OK. I got a nice tri-ply Calphalon frying pan. When it was out of the
>> box, a little EVOO would make a fried egg slide around the pan like it
>> was on wheels. After that, it's almost impossible to get eggs not to
>> stick on. I've use butter w/oil, straight peanut oil, eggs dropped
>> into cold pan & eggs dropped into hot pans and they all stick. I'm
>> sick and tired of buying Teflon pans that I've got to through away
>> after a year or so of use, not to mention what may or may not be
>> getting into my food from it.
>>
>> How can I get the pan to cook eggs like my first experience?
>> --
>> Wilson 44.69, -67.3

> I feel your pain. Tried in vain to fry eggs in my Farberware stainless
> pans years ago. Finally gave up and switched to
> cast iron and Circulon. I 'gifted' the Farberware pans to my daughter
> when she set up her own place a few years ago
> and she has no problem frying eggs in them.
>
> Her comment when I asked her the secret? "Lower the heat, dummy". OK, so
> maybe patience was never my strong point.
>
> Jon

Hmmn,? Haven't tried it low and slow which might have been what I did the
first time. Will try that. Thanks.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>OK. I got a nice tri-ply Calphalon frying pan. When it was out of the box, a
>little EVOO would make a fried egg slide around the pan like it was on
>wheels. After that, it's almost impossible to get eggs not to stick on. I've
>use butter w/oil, straight peanut oil, eggs dropped into cold pan & eggs
>dropped into hot pans and they all stick. I'm sick and tired of buying
>Teflon pans that I've got to through away after a year or so of use, not to
>mention what may or may not be getting into my food from it.
>
>How can I get the pan to cook eggs like my first experience?

Try heating the pan first, then adding oil, then the food. "Hot pan,
cold oil, food won't stick" was something I learned from Jeff Smith's
show, and it ordinarily worked well.

Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Zeppo" > wrote:
> I feel your pain. Tried in vain to fry eggs in my Farberware stainless pans
> years ago. Finally gave up and switched to
> cast iron and Circulon. I 'gifted' the Farberware pans to my daughter when
> she set up her own place a few years ago
> and she has no problem frying eggs in them.
>
> Her comment when I asked her the secret? "Lower the heat, dummy".

Bingo.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Wilson > wrote:

> Yes, I too have a nice seasoned black cast iron pan which works fine with
> eggs. I'm just a little lazy about cleaning it and re-seasoning which is why
> I thought I'd try the stainless steel.

Clean and re-season it? Huh? After using the cast iron, cool it a bit
and sprinkle it with a lot of plain or kosher salt. Scour with a paper
towel and wipe out. That'd be it. No water involved 98% of the time
when I do it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog
Welcoming the arrival of Emma Kathryn on 10-22-09;
she is great-grand-niece/-nephew #8.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 26, 2:52*pm, Wilson > wrote:
> sometime in the recent past Zeppo posted this:
>

> > "Wilson" > wrote in message
> >> OK. I got a nice tri-ply Calphalon frying pan. When it was out of the
> >> box, a little EVOO would make a fried egg slide around the pan like it
> >> was on wheels. After that, it's almost impossible to get eggs not to
> >> stick on. I've use butter w/oil, straight peanut oil, eggs dropped
> >> into cold pan & eggs dropped into hot pans and they all stick. I'm
> >> sick and tired of buying Teflon pans that I've got to through away
> >> after a year or so of use, not to mention what may or may not be
> >> getting into my food from it.

> >> How can I get the pan to cook eggs like my first experience?
> >> --
> >> Wilson 44.69, -67.3

> > I feel your pain. Tried in vain to fry eggs in my Farberware stainless
> > pans years ago. Finally gave up and switched to
> > cast iron and Circulon. I 'gifted' the Farberware pans to my daughter
> > when she set up her own place a few years ago
> > and she has no problem frying eggs in them.

> > Her comment when I asked her the secret? "Lower the heat, dummy". OK, so
> > maybe patience was never my strong point.

> > Jon

> Hmmn,? Haven't tried it low and slow which might have been what I did the
> first time. Will try that. Thanks.
>
> --
> Wilson 44.69, -67.3- Hide quoted text -

I mentioned that I did eggs in my stainless (NOT non-stick) - no
problems. Hot pan, drop in some butter, let it melt, drop in the egg
- super easy, and I can just wipe out the pan (although I wash it in
soap and water). I can cook them on high heat or low heat, either
way, they never stick.

I have no clue what's with your Calphalon.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Wilson > posted:

> OK. I got a nice tri-ply Calphalon frying pan. When it was out of the box, a
> little EVOO would make a fried egg slide around the pan like it was on
> wheels. After that, it's almost impossible to get eggs not to stick on. I've
> use butter w/oil, straight peanut oil, eggs dropped into cold pan & eggs
> dropped into hot pans and they all stick. I'm sick and tired of buying
> Teflon pans that I've got to through away after a year or so of use, not to
> mention what may or may not be getting into my food from it.
>
> How can I get the pan to cook eggs like my first experience?

I bought a pan with the Silverstone coating on it. It's just a small 10"
saute-style pan. I don't like fried eggs, but my roomie does. I
practiced making one with the pan on a low heat with some melted butter. I
dropped the egg in it and waited for the whiteness to nearly cook through
to the top. After that, I flipped it into the air without using an
utensil. It landed sunny-side down. I kept it that way for ten seconds,
then flipped it out onto the plate. First try, no busted yolk, and
nothing at all stuck to the pan. It was able to slide around like it was
on wheels, just like you said. Personally, I think for something like
eggs, keeping one silverstone pan around for that is worth it. Just never
use any metal utensils in it.

Unfortunately, some bimbo my roommate let come live with us for a while
ruined by good pan. I woke up one morning to find her in the kitchen
scraping eggs around in it with a metal spoon. Immediately, the pan was
ruined, and I boy, was I ****ed. Since then, it still works okay for
doing a fried egg, but cooking a scrambled one always results in egg being
stuck everywhere she scraped the coating off.

I'm a man, and I know you don't use a metal spoon in a pan like that. How
could she, a woman, have been so utterly retarded and careless as to use a
metal spoon in my good pan? Sheesh.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Ran+AOk-e at Arabian Knits > posted:

> Heat your pan pretty hot without anything in it. Add the oil or
> butter or other fat and heat just enough to melt the fat a little.
> Add the egg. Cook as normal. No sticking.

The Frugal Gourmet (Jeff Smith) always said on his show, "Hot pan, cold
oil, food won't stick." I never found that to be true at all. I have no
problem using nonstick cookware. I just have a problem when some flaming
idiot ruins it with a metal spoon.

I used to have a good non-stick Airbake pizza pan...until we got some
company for a few days, and she decided to not only cut a pizza on the
pan, but she used a staineless steel scouring pad on it to scrub off some
pizza that stuck to it. So that pan is now ruined. I think she also ran
the hot pan under cold water, because it's now so warped that you could
use it as a base for a rocking chair. Another woman. How can women be so
clueless about how to handle cookware?

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wilson wrote:
> Nancy2 posted this:
>
>> It's non-stick? You still need some grease. Heat the pan, drop in
>> some butter, or even spray it with Pam or something - let it get hot
>> - drop in the egg. Don't mess with the egg until you're ready to turn
>> it (or do whatever you do) - right when you first drop it in, it might
>> stick, but not after the bottom is cooked a little.

> Thanks Nancy2, but this isn't a non-stick pan.

Doesn't matter - What Nancy wrote is how to deal with what is sometimes
called "stick resistant". Stainless steel pans are "stick resistant".
The food starts out sticking but releases as it heats. By the time it's
approaching done it is not longer stuck.

With a stick resistant pan if the food sticks it's not ready to by
turned. Wait longer next time. It's a matter of learning when
something is ready and not messing with it before that. It's not
something that's ever learned when using non-stick because non-stick
does not require learning it.

A full time cook needs to learn how to deal with stainless surface.
Whether a home cook needs to learn depends on his willingness to go buy
more non-stick pans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Zeppo" > wrote:
>> I feel your pain. Tried in vain to fry eggs in my Farberware stainless
>> pans
>> years ago. Finally gave up and switched to
>> cast iron and Circulon. I 'gifted' the Farberware pans to my daughter
>> when
>> she set up her own place a few years ago
>> and she has no problem frying eggs in them.
>>
>> Her comment when I asked her the secret? "Lower the heat, dummy".

> Bingo.

Yeabutt... She shouldn't talk to her daddy that way!

:-)
Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 26, 6:07*pm, Damaeus > wrote:

> I used to have a good non-stick Airbake pizza pan...until we got some
> company for a few days, and she decided to not only cut a pizza on the
> pan, but she used a staineless steel scouring pad on it to scrub off some
> pizza that stuck to it. *So that pan is now ruined. *I think she also ran
> the hot pan under cold water, because it's now so warped that you could
> use it as a base for a rocking chair. *Another woman. *How can women be so
> clueless about how to handle cookware?

I don't know. You should ask my husband why and how he exploded the
seasoning off my cast iron frying pan trying to make blackened fish on
the burner from a turkey fryer.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

How can I fry an egg in my stainless steel pan?

Can't believe this hasn't been flagged as spam!

Sheer stupidity to ask such a stupid question!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:50:57 -0400, Wilson > wrote:

>sometime in the recent past maxine in ri posted this:
>> On Oct 26, 12:01 pm, Wilson > wrote:
>>
>>> How can I get the pan to cook eggs like my first experience?

>> Pan on burner. Turn on burner. Add generous amount of oil. Bring to
>> shimmer stage. Add egg.
>>
>> Works a treat in my cast iron pan every morning.
>>
>> maxine in ri

>Yes, I too have a nice seasoned black cast iron pan which works fine with
>eggs. I'm just a little lazy about cleaning it and re-seasoning which is why
>I thought I'd try the stainless steel.

Why should you have to re-season it. Just remember that thr ONLY proper way to clean a
cast iron pan is to scrub it out using salt dampened with a little oil.

Never let water touch the interior of the pan. A cast iron frying pan is for FRYING.
And if you use detergent on a cast iron pan the kitchen gods will turn their backs on
you for eternity

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 09:40:23 -0400, "
> wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:50:57 -0400, Wilson > wrote:
>
>>sometime in the recent past maxine in ri posted this:

>>> Pan on burner. Turn on burner. Add generous amount of oil. Bring to
>>> shimmer stage. Add egg.
>>>
>>> Works a treat in my cast iron pan every morning.
>>>
>>> maxine in ri

>>Yes, I too have a nice seasoned black cast iron pan which works fine with
>>eggs. I'm just a little lazy about cleaning it and re-seasoning which is why
>>I thought I'd try the stainless steel.

>Why should you have to re-season it. Just remember that thr ONLY proper way to clean a
>cast iron pan is to scrub it out using salt dampened with a little oil.
>
>Never let water touch the interior of the pan.

Oh, fer cryin out loud... that's going overboard. You can use soap
and water on a well seasoned pan and not hurt anything.

>A cast iron frying pan is for FRYING.

I don't juggle with mine.

>And if you use detergent on a cast iron pan the kitchen gods will turn their backs on
>you for eternity

Of course, you shouldn't put it in the dishwasher if that's what
you're talking about.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:03:35 -0500, Damaeus
> wrote:

>Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
>Wilson > posted:
>
>> OK. I got a nice tri-ply Calphalon frying pan. When it was out of the box, a
>> little EVOO would make a fried egg slide around the pan like it was on
>> wheels. After that, it's almost impossible to get eggs not to stick on. I've
>> use butter w/oil, straight peanut oil, eggs dropped into cold pan & eggs
>> dropped into hot pans and they all stick. I'm sick and tired of buying
>> Teflon pans that I've got to through away after a year or so of use, not to
>> mention what may or may not be getting into my food from it.
>>
>> How can I get the pan to cook eggs like my first experience?

>I bought a pan with the Silverstone coating on it. It's just a small 10"
>saute-style pan. I don't like fried eggs, but my roomie does. I

[snip]

another benefit of getting a silverstone or other non-stick egg
pan....

If you get one that is basically aluminum and transmits heat
well, make sure you get a glass lid to fit. If you preheat the
pan, then add a little oil and the eggs, then wait for the whites
to coagulate almost through, you can cover the pan and the
reflected heat will finish the tops without the need for flipping.

ALso, if you are making a fritatta, which is thicker, the pan should
be oven safe so you can slip it into a toaster oven or broiler for
a couple minutes to finish off the top of the eggs. Works well
and you NEVER break the yolks.

HTH

Alex

FWIW: I have a Chantal and a T-Fal, both lined with Teflon,
and a WearEver with a silverstone-like hard finish, all in the
7 inch class and all of which share the Chantal lid. They
all work pretty much the same, but I like the harder finish
of the WearEver pan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> use it as a base for a rocking chair. *Another woman. *How can women be so
> clueless about how to handle cookware?
>
> Damaeus

The real question is how can men be so dense about how to get along
with women without making sweeping derogatory generalizations?

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Get a nice cast iron pan, season it, fry eggs, donate SS pan to
> Goodwill or keep as a pretty, but mostly useless decoration.
>
> Ross.

I love my stainless steel - it is perfect cookware for nearly
everything. You must not know how to use it. Just like a man ($1 to
Damaeus)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Oct 26, 6:07 pm, Damaeus > wrote:
>
>> I used to have a good non-stick Airbake pizza pan...until we got some
>> company for a few days, and she decided to not only cut a pizza on the
>> pan, but she used a staineless steel scouring pad on it to scrub off some
>> pizza that stuck to it. So that pan is now ruined. I think she also ran
>> the hot pan under cold water, because it's now so warped that you could
>> use it as a base for a rocking chair. Another woman. How can women be so
>> clueless about how to handle cookware?

> I don't know. You should ask my husband why and how he exploded the
> seasoning off my cast iron frying pan trying to make blackened fish on
> the burner from a turkey fryer.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I worked in restaurants for quite a few years. Our fry pans were all
stainless steel. You have to season the pan. After seasoning we cooked
eggs all the time, and they slid right out of the pan. After doing a
portion of eggs we immediately wiped the pan with a dry towel. Never,
I repeat never wash the pan. I use a T-Fal at home now, eggs slide right
out. My wife bought three Martha Stewart stainless fry pans and the eggs
stick all the time. She won't let me season the pan and she insists on
washing them. So, I cook my eggs and she burns hers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 6:40*am, " > wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:50:57 -0400, Wilson > wrote:
> >sometime in the recent past maxine in ri posted this:

> >> Pan on burner. *Turn on burner. *Add generous amount of oil. *Bring to
> >> shimmer stage. *Add egg.

> >> Works a treat in my cast iron pan every morning.

> >> maxine in ri

> >Yes, I too have a nice seasoned black cast iron pan which works fine with
> >eggs. I'm just a little lazy about cleaning it and re-seasoning which is why
> >I thought I'd try the stainless steel.

> Why should you have to re-season it. Just remember that thr ONLY proper way to clean a
> cast iron pan is to scrub it out using salt dampened with a little oil.

This information should have been provide with the purchase. When I
bought a cast iron pan the first time (means when I was young and
impatie), I got tired of having to season it and dealing with rust and
so I threw it away. Of coures, I heard not to use water but do wipe
clean but how?

I don't want to have one though; it's too heavy though it might be
good for exercise.

> Never let water touch the interior of the pan. A cast iron frying pan is for FRYING.
> And if you use detergent on a cast iron pan the kitchen gods will turn their backs on
> you for eternity

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 26, 8:01 am, Wilson > wrote:
> OK. I got a nice tri-ply Calphalon frying pan. When it was out of the box, a
> little EVOO would make a fried egg slide around the pan like it was on
> wheels. After that, it's almost impossible to get eggs not to stick on. I've
> use butter w/oil, straight peanut oil, eggs dropped into cold pan & eggs
> dropped into hot pans and they all stick. I'm sick and tired of buying
> Teflon pans that I've got to through away after a year or so of use, not to
> mention what may or may not be getting into my food from it.
>
> How can I get the pan to cook eggs like my first experience?

After reading some thirty posts I was curious enough to give it a try
this morning. Usually I fry eggs in a small non-stick pan, flipping
them without a utensil. Today I got out the 10" copper-bottomed
stainless steel inherited skillet that's seen 40+ years of hassle-free
use and still has a shiny smooth surface. Fried up some bacon over
medium heat, drained off the fat but didn't wipe off the residue of
fat that didn't immediatley drain. Lowered the heat, put in about a
teaspoon of butter (for taste) and cracked two eggs in. I don't know
if they immediately stuck to the pan because I didn't attempt to move
them in any way. When they were cooked on the bottom I used a spatula
to turn them over. No hint of sticking. Finished and removed them,
again no sticking. So I don't know why yours stick. Did you use
excessive heat? Is your pan's surface scratched and pitted?

In the past I've been blasé about tossing and replacing the nonstick
pan when it loses its nonstickiness. Maybe next time I won't even
replace it. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 07:18:02 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 09:40:23 -0400, "
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:50:57 -0400, Wilson > wrote:

>>Never let water touch the interior of the pan.

>Oh, fer cryin out loud... that's going overboard. You can use soap
>and water on a well seasoned pan and not hurt anything.
>
>>A cast iron frying pan is for FRYING.

Have to agree. My good (Read Lodge, Wagner) pans get washed
BRIEFLY with kitchen detergent and water and a plastic scrubber
and rinsed and dried out on the cooktop, againi briefly. Seasoning
glaze is and stays intact and functional.

OTOH" Simmering beans or soups in CI pots frequently leads
to loss of the seasoning layer.

Guess there's truth on both sides.

Alex

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:21:49 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
> wrote:

>This information should have been provide with the purchase. When I
>bought a cast iron pan the first time (means when I was young and
>impatie), I got tired of having to season it and dealing with rust and
>so I threw it away. Of coures, I heard not to use water but do wipe
>clean but how?

Curious. But a modest inquiry:

They offered you a cooking vessel for sale, and you paid for it.

Now you complain that they didn't offer you a training course
in how to use what is, as most, a primitive cooking vessel? Do
I have it right? Have I missed something?

OK, please let me suggest that youth and ignorance are YOUR
problem and not those of the pan's mfr.

Moral: Know what the Hell you're buying. Do your homework.

RTFM!

Alex, hoping he made himself clear. ALso noting that young
people think they know all necessary things, until they have
to live on their own. Then the whole paradigm changes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 27, 7:21 am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> On Oct 27, 6:40 am, " > wrote:
>
> This information should have been provide with the purchase. When I
> bought a cast iron pan the first time (means when I was young and
> impatie), I got tired of having to season it and dealing with rust and
> so I threw it away. Of coures, I heard not to use water but do wipe
> clean but how?
>
> I don't want to have one though; it's too heavy though it might be
> good for exercise.

If you change your mind and get another one, read the Tips on the
rfc.org website. "Each time the pan is used, rinse with hot water and
scrub if necessary. Don't scour or use detergent - otherwise you will
need to re-season. Some people coat their cast iron very lightly with
oil after washing, then wipe out after an initial heating next time
they use it." -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:11:19 -0400, Old Harley Rider
> wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Oct 26, 6:07 pm, Damaeus > wrote:

>I worked in restaurants for quite a few years. Our fry pans were all
>stainless steel. You have to season the pan. After seasoning we cooked
>eggs all the time, and they slid right out of the pan. After doing a
>portion of eggs we immediately wiped the pan with a dry towel. Never,
>I repeat never wash the pan. I use a T-Fal at home now, eggs slide right
>out. My wife bought three Martha Stewart stainless fry pans and the eggs
>stick all the time. She won't let me season the pan and she insists on
>washing them. So, I cook my eggs and she burns hers.

LOL! SO, is there a difference in the metals? Or is it technique?

Tiz a puzzlement.

ALex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 07:46:48 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>> Get a nice cast iron pan, season it, fry eggs, donate SS pan to
>> Goodwill or keep as a pretty, but mostly useless decoration.
>>
>> Ross.

>I love my stainless steel - it is perfect cookware for nearly
>everything. You must not know how to use it. Just like a man ($1 to
>Damaeus

No, dear.

Men know how to *use* things, they just don't know how to *find*
them. <G>

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:26:04 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>After reading some thirty posts I was curious enough to give it a try
>this morning. Usually I fry eggs in a small non-stick pan, flipping
>them without a utensil. Today I got out the 10" copper-bottomed
>stainless steel inherited skillet that's seen 40+ years of hassle-free
>use and still has a shiny smooth surface. Fried up some bacon over
>medium heat, drained off the fat but didn't wipe off the residue of
>fat that didn't immediatley drain. Lowered the heat, put in about a
>teaspoon of butter (for taste) and cracked two eggs in. I don't know
>if they immediately stuck to the pan because I didn't attempt to move
>them in any way. When they were cooked on the bottom I used a spatula
>to turn them over. No hint of sticking. Finished and removed them,
>again no sticking. So I don't know why yours stick. Did you use
>excessive heat? Is your pan's surface scratched and pitted?

You may have identified the prob. You cooked bacon first? Then
adjusted the heat and cooked the eggs? The bacon prepped the
pan as opposed to starting with a clean pan to fry eggs.

Thanks for reminding us of the obvious.

Alex, laughing all the way to the home bar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 10:11*am, Old Harley Rider > wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Oct 26, 6:07 pm, Damaeus > wrote:

> >> I used to have a good non-stick Airbake pizza pan...until we got some
> >> company for a few days, and she decided to not only cut a pizza on the
> >> pan, but she used a staineless steel scouring pad on it to scrub off some
> >> pizza that stuck to it. *So that pan is now ruined. *I think she also ran
> >> the hot pan under cold water, because it's now so warped that you could
> >> use it as a base for a rocking chair. *Another woman. *How can women be so
> >> clueless about how to handle cookware?

> > I don't know. *You should ask my husband why and how he exploded the
> > seasoning off my cast iron frying pan trying to make blackened fish on
> > the burner from a turkey fryer.

> > Cindy Hamilton

> I worked in restaurants for quite a few years. Our fry pans were all
> stainless steel. You have to season the pan. After seasoning we cooked
> eggs all the time, and they slid right out of the pan. After doing a
> portion of eggs we immediately wiped the pan with a dry towel. Never,
> I repeat never wash the pan. I use a T-Fal at home now, eggs slide right
> out. My wife bought three Martha Stewart stainless fry pans and the eggs
> stick all the time. She won't let me season the pan and she insists on
> washing them. So, I cook my eggs and she burns hers.- Hide quoted text -

I wash my stainless steel every time, and it acts like non-stick
anyway. I wouldn't buy anything with Martha's brand on it because I
got some washcloths and hand towels that fell apart the first time I
washed them. It's crap.

My stainless is made by All-Clad - doesn't need any seasoning, and
they look like new after 3 years' steady use. YMMV, indeed.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 12:40*pm, Chemiker > wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 07:46:48 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
>
> > wrote:
>
> >> Get a nice cast iron pan, season it, fry eggs, donate SS pan to
> >> Goodwill or keep as a pretty, but mostly useless decoration.

> >> Ross.

> >I love my stainless steel - it is perfect cookware for nearly
> >everything. *You must not know how to use it. *Just like a man ($1 to
> >Damaeus

> No, dear.
>
> Men know how to *use* things, they just don't know how to *find*
> them. <G>
>
> Alex

Ayup, and they won't ask directions, either. LOL.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 12:44*pm, Chemiker > wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:26:04 -0700 (PDT), aem >
> wrote:
>
> >After reading some thirty posts I was curious enough to give it a try
> >this morning. *Usually I fry eggs in a small non-stick pan, flipping
> >them without a utensil. *Today I got out the 10" copper-bottomed
> >stainless steel inherited skillet that's seen 40+ years of hassle-free
> >use and still has a shiny smooth surface. *Fried up some bacon over
> >medium heat, drained off the fat but didn't wipe off the residue of
> >fat that didn't immediatley drain. *Lowered the heat, put in about a
> >teaspoon of butter (for taste) and cracked two eggs in. *I don't know
> >if they immediately stuck to the pan because I didn't attempt to move
> >them in any way. *When they were cooked on the bottom I used a spatula
> >to turn them over. *No hint of sticking. *Finished and removed them,
> >again no sticking. *So I don't know why yours stick. *Did you use
> >excessive heat? *Is your pan's surface scratched and pitted?

> You may have identified the prob. You cooked bacon first? Then
> adjusted the heat and cooked the eggs? The bacon prepped the
> pan as opposed to starting with a clean pan to fry eggs.
>
> Thanks for reminding us of the obvious.
>
> Alex, laughing all the way to the home bar.

Grease is grease. There is no difference in cooking bacon first, than
there is in heating the pan and then dropping in some butter and
letting it melt. There's nothing magic about cooking bacon instead of
just using butter.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Nancy2 > posted:

> > use it as a base for a rocking chair. +AKA-Another woman. +AKA-How can women be so
> > clueless about how to handle cookware?
> >
> > Damaeus

> The real question is how can men be so dense about how to get along
> with women without making sweeping derogatory generalizations?

I wasn't making a sweeping derogatory generalization. I was making a
derogatory statement about that one, specific woman, while uplifting what
I think most women seem to know by instinct: Don't use metal on non-stick
cookware. Where are your reading comprehension skills today?

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 07:45:48 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2 wrote:

>> use it as a base for a rocking chair. *Another woman. *How can women be so
>> clueless about how to handle cookware?
>>
>> Damaeus

> The real question is how can men be so dense about how to get along
> with women without making sweeping derogatory generalizations?
>
> N.

your assuming damaeus gets along with women.

your pal,
blke