Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Plastic containers in the freezer.

Hello All!

Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been using
Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become apparent that
there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will
survive this drop test?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne wrote on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 23:13:15 GMT:

>> Hello All!
>>
>> Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was
>> why god created screwtop plastic containers for the
>> leftovers. I've been using Ziplock screwtop containers for a
>> while but it has become apparent that there is a
>> disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
>> temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet
>> onto a vinyl floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for
>> containers that will survive this drop test?
>>

> Sorry, but I can't help. I can only say that we use the same
> containers in the freezer and have not experienced any
> cracking or breakage. We use one for storing ground coffee in
> the freezer that is opened and closed everyday, but we tend
> not to drop the lid on the floor.

Perhaps you are more careful than me :-) I have a feeling that I must
drop the damn things about 10% of the time!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
> created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been using
> Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become apparent that
> there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
> temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
> floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will survive
> this drop test?

Not screwtop, but we've use Tuppeware and Rubbermaid container with no
problems. Glad stuff seems OK, but I don't know that I've ever dropped one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
> created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been using
> Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become apparent that
> there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
> temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
> floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will
> survive this drop test?

In my experience, most of them will break when frozen. DO you
have a Tilia vacuum sealer? Their plastic bags (or ziplock bags)
may be your solution.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:53:47 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>Hello All!
>
>Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
>created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been using
>Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become apparent that
>there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
>temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
>floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will
>survive this drop test?

Take the containers from the freezer before you hit the sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:53:47 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>Hello All!
>
>Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
>created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been using
>Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become apparent that
>there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
>temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
>floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will
>survive this drop test?

Rubbermaid seems to be best for us butterfingers. I also freeze some
loftovers in Ziploc bags. They lay flat and provide more freezer room.
koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 17:27:19 -0600:

> James Silverton wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was
>> why god created screwtop plastic containers for the
>> leftovers. I've been using Ziplock screwtop containers for a while
>> but it has become apparent that there is a
>> disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
>> temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet
>> onto a vinyl floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for
>> containers that will survive this drop test?
>>

> In my experience, most of them will break when frozen. DO you
> have a Tilia vacuum sealer? Their plastic bags (or ziplock
> bags) may be your solution.

Can you buy vacuum sealers any more? I went looking for one a month ago
and could not find any.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne wrote on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 23:31:09 GMT:

>>> Sorry, but I can't help. I can only say that we use the
>>> same containers in the freezer and have not experienced any
>>> cracking or breakage. We use one for storing ground coffee
>>> in the freezer that is opened and closed everyday, but we
>>> tend not to drop the lid on the floor.

>> Perhaps you are more careful than me :-) I have a feeling
>> that I must drop the damn things about 10% of the time!

> Perhaps. :-) Thinking about other plastic containers with
> screw-type lids, I suspect that at freezer temperatures the
> plastics would tend to fracture on impact. Softer plastics
> where this wouldn't happen would probably not work well as a
> material for those types of lids.

Actually, it was not the lid but the bowl that cracked! I'll admit that
another make (Glad, I think) that uses snap-on lids does tend to suffer
lid fracture and that's why I went to screw-on lids.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
> created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been using
> Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become apparent that
> there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
> temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
> floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will
> survive this drop test?

Try to avoid dropping them?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> Can you buy vacuum sealers any more? I went looking for one a month ago
> and could not find any.

I have not been looking for a Tilia vacuum sealer because I already have
one, but I have not used it for a while because I am out of bags and
can't find them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> gloria.p wrote on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 17:27:19 -0600:
>
>> James Silverton wrote:
>>> Hello All!
>>>
>>> Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was
>>> why god created screwtop plastic containers for the
>>> leftovers. I've been using Ziplock screwtop containers for a while
>>> but it has become apparent that there is a
>>> disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
>>> temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet
>>> onto a vinyl floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for
>>> containers that will survive this drop test?
>>>

>> In my experience, most of them will break when frozen. DO you
>> have a Tilia vacuum sealer? Their plastic bags (or ziplock
>> bags) may be your solution.

> Can you buy vacuum sealers any more? I went looking for one a month ago
> and could not find any.

Sears and Walmart here both have them as does the local Lowes and Bed,
Bath, and Beyond. That's where I got my latest Tilia, BB&B had a good
sale and I had a 25% off coupon too. Got a real deal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne wrote on Mon, 26 Oct 2009 00:07:55 GMT:

>> Wayne wrote on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 23:31:09 GMT:
>>

> Are these containers pliable at room temperature or made of
> rigid plastic? Some containers made of pliable plastic are
> still pliable at freezer temperatures and probably would not
> fracture.

Both Glad and Twistlok jars are pliable at room temperature but both
become fragile in the freezer. These are the only two makes I've seen in
the local supermarket. Safeway was selling a battery operated vacuum
sealer but rather stupidly did not have any bags for it. I'll have to
look to see if I can find a vacuum sealer at Sears. Wal-Mart is just too
much of a hassle

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
> created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been using
> Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become apparent that
> there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
> temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
> floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will
> survive this drop test?

No, but pick up some of those cheap Gladware or Ziploc containers. Who
gives a rat's a** if they crack. They're giveaways, but fine for reuse.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:50:45 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>James Silverton wrote:
>
>> Can you buy vacuum sealers any more? I went looking for one a month ago
>> and could not find any.

>I have not been looking for a Tilia vacuum sealer because I already have
>one, but I have not used it for a while because I am out of bags and
>can't find them.

I just wore out my Tila vacuum sealer. I've been shopping for another
one. You can get the bags at Wal-Mart, Costco, and Bed Bath and
Beyond.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 10/25
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:

>> Can you buy vacuum sealers any more? I went looking for one a month
>> ago and could not find any.
>>

> Sears and Walmart here both have them as does the local Lowes and Bed,
> Bath, and Beyond. That's where I got my latest Tilia, BB&B had a good
> sale and I had a 25% off coupon too. Got a real deal.

I've often found bags at sale prices in Kohl's department stores.
They also have had fantastic deals on models which are no
longer bing made. I have a back-up sealer hidden away that
listed for $199 and was priced at $32 there.

gloria p
who needs to stock up on bags if the
sealers are no longer going to be around

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
> created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been using
> Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become apparent that
> there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
> temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
> floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will
> survive this drop test?

No recommendation other than put a thick kitchen mat in front of your
freezer(s)
We've never broken a frozen plastic container when it got dropped cos it
hits the mat(s) first.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

> Can you buy vacuum sealers any more? I went looking for one a month ago
> and could not find any.

Wal Mart, BJ's, Target, and many others.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri wrote on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:59:35 -0700:

> James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> Hello All!
>>
>> Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was
>> why god created screwtop plastic containers for the
>> leftovers. I've been using Ziplock screwtop containers for a
>> while but it has become apparent that there is a
>> disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at
>> freezer temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so
>> feet onto a vinyl floor. Does anyone have a recommendation
>> for containers that will survive this drop test?
>>

>No recommendation other than put a thick kitchen mat in front of your
>freezer(s) We've never broken a frozen plastic container when it got
>dropped
>cos it hits the mat(s) first.

..
No mats in the kitchen but I'd have thought that vinyl flooring might be
enough. The trouble with round containers in a the upper freezer is that
they don't pack together well and tend to be pulled out and dropped.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Safeway was selling a battery operated vacuum sealer but rather stupidly
> did not have any bags for it. I'll have to look to see if I can find a
> vacuum sealer at Sears. Wal-Mart is just too much of a hassle

http://www.foodsaver.com/Index.aspx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
>> In my experience, most of them will break when frozen. DO you
>> have a Tilia vacuum sealer? Their plastic bags (or ziplock
>> bags) may be your solution.

> Can you buy vacuum sealers any more? I went looking for one a month ago
> and could not find any.

http://www.foodsaver.com/Index.aspx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> James Silverton wrote:
> >
> > Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
> > created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been using
> > Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become apparent that
> > there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
> > temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
> > floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will
> > survive this drop test?

> Try to avoid dropping them?

If that isn't some of the most worthless advice I've ever seen.
You may as well suggest he stop drinking. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
> created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been using
> Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become apparent that
> there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
> temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
> floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will survive
> this drop test?
>
> --
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

I should think that any plastic container will crack/break if left in the
freezer and then dropped. Try using a Tilia food vaccuum. End of problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:50:45 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>James Silverton wrote:
>
>> Can you buy vacuum sealers any more? I went looking for one a month ago
>> and could not find any.

>I have not been looking for a Tilia vacuum sealer because I already have
>one, but I have not used it for a while because I am out of bags and
>can't find them.

Try here. http://www.foodsaver.com/
You can get pretty good deals when you order in quantity.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:44:32 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>George Shirley wrote:
>> James Silverton wrote:

>>> Can you buy vacuum sealers any more? I went looking for one a month
>>> ago and could not find any.
>>>

>> Sears and Walmart here both have them as does the local Lowes and Bed,
>> Bath, and Beyond. That's where I got my latest Tilia, BB&B had a good
>> sale and I had a 25% off coupon too. Got a real deal.

>I've often found bags at sale prices in Kohl's department stores.
> They also have had fantastic deals on models which are no
>longer bing made. I have a back-up sealer hidden away that
>listed for $199 and was priced at $32 there.
>
>gloria p
>who needs to stock up on bags if the
>sealers are no longer going to be around

I am on the mailing list for Tilia products and a few months ago got a
model just below my V2490 for $69. My V2490 came from Costco so may
not be a standard mode. Mine is in storage as backup too.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:44:32 -0600, "gloria.p" >
> wrote:

>> I've often found bags at sale prices in Kohl's department stores.
>> They also have had fantastic deals on models which are no
>> longer bing made. I have a back-up sealer hidden away that
>> listed for $199 and was priced at $32 there.
>>
>> gloria p
>> who needs to stock up on bags if the
>> sealers are no longer going to be around

> I am on the mailing list for Tilia products and a few months ago got a
> model just below my V2490 for $69. My V2490 came from Costco so may
> not be a standard mode. Mine is in storage as backup too.

I bought mine on ebay, there are people who refurbish them. It's
been running like a champ for years now. It looked brand new
and looked like it was packaged in the factory.

I've bought bags on ebay, too. I like to look for the new/unused
ones. (laughing) Yeah, I would hope so, it's a funny description
to me. Most recently I got them at Bed Bath with the 20% coupon.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote

>> Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
>> created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been
>> using Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become
>> apparent that there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle
>> at freezer temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet
>> onto a vinyl floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers
>> that will survive this drop test?

> I should think that any plastic container will crack/break if left in
> the freezer and then dropped. Try using a Tilia food vaccuum. End of
> problem.

For what it's worth, my Tupperware containers take a lot of abuse
and last for years. They don't get brittle. Obviously they're pricey
but they've paid for themselves.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:39:39 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:53:47 -0400, "James Silverton"
> > wrote:
>
>>Hello All!
>>
>>Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
>>created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been using
>>Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become apparent that
>>there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
>>temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
>>floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will
>>survive this drop test?

> Take the containers from the freezer before you hit the sauce.

the voice of experience.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote on Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:13:58 -0400:

> Kswck wrote:
>> "James Silverton" > wrote

>>> Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that
>>> was why god created screwtop plastic containers for the
>>> leftovers. I've been using Ziplock screwtop containers for a
>>> while but it has become apparent that there is a
>>> disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
>>> temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so
>>> feet onto a vinyl floor. Does anyone have a recommendation
>>> for containers that will survive this drop test?

>> I should think that any plastic container will crack/break if
>> left in the freezer and then dropped. Try using a Tilia food
>> vaccuum. End of problem.

> For what it's worth, my Tupperware containers take a lot of
> abuse and last for years. They don't get brittle. Obviously
> they're pricey but they've paid for themselves.

Where do you buy small Tupperware containers and how small do they get?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:26:17 -0400:

>> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:53:47 -0400, "James Silverton"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All!
>>>
>>> Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that
>>> was why god created screwtop plastic containers for the
>>> leftovers. I've been using Ziplock screwtop containers for a
>>> while but it has become apparent that there is a
>>> disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
>>> temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet
>>> onto a vinyl floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for
>>> containers that will survive this drop test?

>> Take the containers from the freezer before you hit the
>> sauce.

> the voice of experience.

It's a point but you name it, I'll drop it under any conditions!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Nancy wrote on Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:13:58 -0400:
>
>> Kswck wrote:
>>> "James Silverton" > wrote

>>> I should think that any plastic container will crack/break if
>>> left in the freezer and then dropped. Try using a Tilia food
>>> vaccuum. End of problem.

>> For what it's worth, my Tupperware containers take a lot of
>> abuse and last for years. They don't get brittle. Obviously
>> they're pricey but they've paid for themselves.

> Where do you buy small Tupperware containers and how small do they
> get?

I have a feeling they won't be something you'll bother with, they
are a direct sale company women are quite familiar with.
You'd have find a salesperson and they would give you a
catalog. Or you could look at them online. They come in
all kinds of shapes and sizes.

If you've been buying the throwaways at the store, you'll
probably drop something on your foot when you see what
these cost. (laugh)

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> For what it's worth, my Tupperware containers take a lot of abuse
> and last for years. They don't get brittle. Obviously they're pricey but
> they've paid for themselves.

I used to buy good plastic boxes for the freezer, but in recent years I have
gone away from them. I still have a few, and I what I do is to put into the
box a good strong plastic bag. I fill the bag and freeze it inside the box.
Once frozen I remove the bag, which of course is 'box shaped' and I can
label and stack that, leaving the box for the next lot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 4:40*pm, koko > wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:53:47 -0400, "James Silverton"
>
> > wrote:
> >Hello All!

> >Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
> >created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been using
> >Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become apparent that
> >there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
> >temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
> >floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will
> >survive this drop test?

> Rubbermaid seems to be best for us butterfingers. I also freeze some
> loftovers in Ziploc bags. They lay flat and provide more freezer room.
> koko
> --

It was rubbermaid that I dropped. They cracked easily..

> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *George Bernard Shawwww.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 10/25

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tupperware [Was: Plastic containers in the freezer.]

In article >, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>James Silverton wrote:
>> Nancy wrote on Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:13:58 -0400:

[snip]

>>> For what it's worth, my Tupperware containers take a lot of
>>> abuse and last for years. They don't get brittle. Obviously
>>> they're pricey but they've paid for themselves.

G'day Nance,

I've got a couple of Tupperware containers that a friend's wife bought
for me at a Tupperware party back in 1963 (or was it 1961?).

They're the "1lb butter size". One still works "as new". The other
doesn't look so good, but it still works okay. (It seems Tupperware,
or at least that old stuff, doesn't like microwave ovens. :-)

I don't recall the price at the time -- probably relatively expensive;
but amortised over 46 (48?) years, who cares?

>> Where do you buy small Tupperware containers and how small do they
>> get?

>I have a feeling they won't be something you'll bother with, they
>are a direct sale company women are quite familiar with.
>You'd have find a salesperson and they would give you a
>catalog. Or you could look at them online. They come in
>all kinds of shapes and sizes.
>
>If you've been buying the throwaways at the store, you'll
>probably drop something on your foot when you see what
>these cost. (laugh)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote:

> G'day Nance,
>
> I've got a couple of Tupperware containers that a friend's wife bought
> for me at a Tupperware party back in 1963 (or was it 1961?).
>
> They're the "1lb butter size". One still works "as new". The other
> doesn't look so good, but it still works okay. (It seems Tupperware,
> or at least that old stuff, doesn't like microwave ovens. :-)

That's true.

> I don't recall the price at the time -- probably relatively expensive;
> but amortised over 46 (48?) years, who cares?

Exactly, I don't remember what I paid for my stuff but I know
it wasn't cheap. I've bought pieces over the years. I do have
one that needs a new lid, I suppose they'll replace it, that was one
of their claims to fame.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote on Mon, 26 Oct 2009 14:13:10 -0400:

> Phred wrote:

>> G'day Nance,
>>
>> I've got a couple of Tupperware containers that a friend's
>> wife bought for me at a Tupperware party back in 1963 (or was
>> it 1961?).
>>
>> They're the "1lb butter size". One still works "as new". The other
>> doesn't look so good, but it still works okay. (It
>> seems Tupperware, or at least that old stuff, doesn't like
>> microwave ovens. :-)

> That's true.

>> I don't recall the price at the time -- probably relatively
>> expensive; but amortised over 46 (48?) years, who cares?

> Exactly, I don't remember what I paid for my stuff but I know it
> wasn't cheap. I've bought pieces over the years. I do
> have one that needs a new lid, I suppose they'll replace it,
> that was one of their claims to fame.

Will current Tupperware stand up to microwaves? The Ziplok and Glad
bowls seem OK, at least for reheating and defrosting.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:53:47 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, "James
Silverton" > wrote,
>there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
>temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
>floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will
>survive this drop test?

If you simply don't do the "drop test", then there is no problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:38:07 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>> For what it's worth, my Tupperware containers take a lot of
>> abuse and last for years. They don't get brittle. Obviously
>> they're pricey but they've paid for themselves.

>Where do you buy small Tupperware containers and how small do they get?

I can't speak for tupperware but some of the Rubbermaid containers are
very similar and they go down to 1/2 cup. Never had a Rubbermaid
container break though we have had some drop on the floor when frozen.

Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> The Cook wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:44:32 -0600, "gloria.p" >
>> wrote:

>>> I've often found bags at sale prices in Kohl's department stores.
>>> They also have had fantastic deals on models which are no
>>> longer bing made. I have a back-up sealer hidden away that
>>> listed for $199 and was priced at $32 there.
>>>
>>> gloria p
>>> who needs to stock up on bags if the
>>> sealers are no longer going to be around

>> I am on the mailing list for Tilia products and a few months ago got
>> a model just below my V2490 for $69. My V2490 came from Costco so
>> may not be a standard mode. Mine is in storage as backup too.

> I bought mine on ebay, there are people who refurbish them. It's
> been running like a champ for years now. It looked brand new
> and looked like it was packaged in the factory.
>
> I've bought bags on ebay, too. I like to look for the new/unused
> ones. (laughing) Yeah, I would hope so, it's a funny description
> to me. Most recently I got them at Bed Bath with the 20% coupon.

Donchya LUV those 20% off coupons at Bed + Bath...you can save a decent
amount of money on stuff.

The old Linens 'n Things space in my hood is empty, in this economic climate
it will probably stay that way. At least there is a Marshall's and a DSW
Shoe Warehouse in the same complex, so all is not lost...

:-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> I've bought bags on ebay, too. I like to look for the new/unused
>> ones. (laughing) Yeah, I would hope so, it's a funny description
>> to me. Most recently I got them at Bed Bath with the 20% coupon.

> Donchya LUV those 20% off coupons at Bed + Bath...you can save a
> decent amount of money on stuff.

I really do love those coupons. I see that blue and white card in
my mailbox ... (laugh). I must have 10 of them in the back of my
car.

> The old Linens 'n Things space in my hood is empty, in this economic
> climate it will probably stay that way. At least there is a
> Marshall's and a DSW Shoe Warehouse in the same complex, so all is
> not lost...

Yeah, I'll be happy when I see those stores coming back to life.
I tell ya, stores were really hopping today, I noticed as I was driving
around. Parking lots were full. I feel as though things are picking up.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> Arri wrote on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:59:35 -0700:
>
> > James Silverton wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello All!
> >>
> >> Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was
> >> why god created screwtop plastic containers for the
> >> leftovers. I've been using Ziplock screwtop containers for a
> >> while but it has become apparent that there is a
> >> disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at
> >> freezer temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so
> >> feet onto a vinyl floor. Does anyone have a recommendation
> >> for containers that will survive this drop test?
> >>

> >No recommendation other than put a thick kitchen mat in front of your
> >freezer(s) We've never broken a frozen plastic container when it got
> >dropped
> >cos it hits the mat(s) first.

> .
> No mats in the kitchen but I'd have thought that vinyl flooring might be
> enough. The trouble with round containers in a the upper freezer is that
> they don't pack together well and tend to be pulled out and dropped.
>
> --

Get the mats LOL. The vinyl isn't nearly thick enough to protect against
either glass or frozen plastic breakage.