Old 25-10-2009, 10:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Plastic containers in the freezer.

Hello All!

Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been using
Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become apparent that
there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will
survive this drop test?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old 25-10-2009, 11:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne wrote on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 23:13:15 GMT:

Hello All!

Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was
why god created screwtop plastic containers for the
leftovers. I've been using Ziplock screwtop containers for a
while but it has become apparent that there is a
disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet
onto a vinyl floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for
containers that will survive this drop test?

Sorry, but I can't help. I can only say that we use the same
containers in the freezer and have not experienced any
cracking or breakage. We use one for storing ground coffee in
the freezer that is opened and closed everyday, but we tend
not to drop the lid on the floor.

Perhaps you are more careful than me :-) I have a feeling that I must
drop the damn things about 10% of the time!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 25-10-2009, 11:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote in message
Hello All!

Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been using
Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become apparent that
there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will survive
this drop test?

Not screwtop, but we've use Tuppeware and Rubbermaid container with no
problems. Glad stuff seems OK, but I don't know that I've ever dropped one.

Old 25-10-2009, 11:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
Hello All!

Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been using
Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become apparent that
there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will
survive this drop test?

In my experience, most of them will break when frozen. DO you
have a Tilia vacuum sealer? Their plastic bags (or ziplock bags)
may be your solution.

gloria p
Old 25-10-2009, 11:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:53:47 -0400, "James Silverton"
wrote:

Hello All!

Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been using
Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become apparent that
there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will
survive this drop test?

Take the containers from the freezer before you hit the sauce.

Old 25-10-2009, 11:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Hello All!

Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been using
Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become apparent that
there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will
survive this drop test?

Rubbermaid seems to be best for us butterfingers. I also freeze some
loftovers in Ziploc bags. They lay flat and provide more freezer room.
koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
Old 25-10-2009, 11:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 17:27:19 -0600:

James Silverton wrote:
Hello All!

Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was
why god created screwtop plastic containers for the
leftovers. I've been using Ziplock screwtop containers for a while
but it has become apparent that there is a
disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet
onto a vinyl floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for
containers that will survive this drop test?

In my experience, most of them will break when frozen. DO you
have a Tilia vacuum sealer? Their plastic bags (or ziplock
bags) may be your solution.

Can you buy vacuum sealers any more? I went looking for one a month ago
and could not find any.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 25-10-2009, 11:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne wrote on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 23:31:09 GMT:

[...]

Perhaps. :-) Thinking about other plastic containers with
screw-type lids, I suspect that at freezer temperatures the
plastics would tend to fracture on impact. Softer plastics
where this wouldn't happen would probably not work well as a
material for those types of lids.

Actually, it was not the lid but the bowl that cracked! I'll admit that
another make (Glad, I think) that uses snap-on lids does tend to suffer
lid fracture and that's why I went to screw-on lids.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 25-10-2009, 11:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
Hello All!

Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been using
Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become apparent that
there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will
survive this drop test?

Try to avoid dropping them?
Old 25-10-2009, 11:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

Can you buy vacuum sealers any more? I went looking for one a month ago
and could not find any.

I have not been looking for a Tilia vacuum sealer because I already have
one, but I have not used it for a while because I am out of bags and
can't find them.

Old 26-10-2009, 12:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
Hello All!

Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was
why god created screwtop plastic containers for the
leftovers. I've been using Ziplock screwtop containers for a while
but it has become apparent that there is a
disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet
onto a vinyl floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for
containers that will survive this drop test?

In my experience, most of them will break when frozen. DO you
have a Tilia vacuum sealer? Their plastic bags (or ziplock
bags) may be your solution.

Can you buy vacuum sealers any more? I went looking for one a month ago
and could not find any.

Sears and Walmart here both have them as does the local Lowes and Bed,
Bath, and Beyond. That's where I got my latest Tilia, BB&B had a good
sale and I had a 25% off coupon too. Got a real deal.
Old 26-10-2009, 12:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne wrote on Mon, 26 Oct 2009 00:07:55 GMT:

Wayne wrote on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 23:31:09 GMT:

Are these containers pliable at room temperature or made of
rigid plastic? Some containers made of pliable plastic are
still pliable at freezer temperatures and probably would not
fracture.

Both Glad and Twistlok jars are pliable at room temperature but both
become fragile in the freezer. These are the only two makes I've seen in
the local supermarket. Safeway was selling a battery operated vacuum
sealer but rather stupidly did not have any bags for it. I'll have to
look to see if I can find a vacuum sealer at Sears. Wal-Mart is just too
much of a hassle

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 26-10-2009, 01:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"James Silverton" wrote:

Hello All!

Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was why god
created screwtop plastic containers for the leftovers. I've been using
Ziplock screwtop containers for a while but it has become apparent that
there is a disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet onto a vinyl
floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for containers that will
survive this drop test?

No, but pick up some of those cheap Gladware or Ziploc containers. Who
gives a rat's a** if they crack. They're giveaways, but fine for reuse.

leo
Old 26-10-2009, 01:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:50:45 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

James Silverton wrote:

Can you buy vacuum sealers any more? I went looking for one a month ago
and could not find any.

I have not been looking for a Tilia vacuum sealer because I already have
one, but I have not used it for a while because I am out of bags and
can't find them.

I just wore out my Tila vacuum sealer. I've been shopping for another
one. You can get the bags at Wal-Mart, Costco, and Bed Bath and
Beyond.

koko

Old 26-10-2009, 01:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
James Silverton wrote:

Can you buy vacuum sealers any more? I went looking for one a month
ago and could not find any.

Sears and Walmart here both have them as does the local Lowes and Bed,
Bath, and Beyond. That's where I got my latest Tilia, BB&B had a good
sale and I had a 25% off coupon too. Got a real deal.

I've often found bags at sale prices in Kohl's department stores.
They also have had fantastic deals on models which are no
longer bing made. I have a back-up sealer hidden away that
listed for $199 and was priced at $32 there.

gloria p
who needs to stock up on bags if the
sealers are no longer going to be around