Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tupperware [Was: Plastic containers in the freezer.]

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Phred wrote:

>> G'day Nance,
>>
>> I've got a couple of Tupperware containers that a friend's wife bought
>> for me at a Tupperware party back in 1963 (or was it 1961?).
>>
>> They're the "1lb butter size". One still works "as new". The other
>> doesn't look so good, but it still works okay. (It seems Tupperware,
>> or at least that old stuff, doesn't like microwave ovens. :-)

> That's true.
>> I don't recall the price at the time -- probably relatively expensive;
>> but amortised over 46 (48?) years, who cares?

> Exactly, I don't remember what I paid for my stuff but I know it wasn't
> cheap. I've bought pieces over the years. I do have
> one that needs a new lid, I suppose they'll replace it, that was one
> of their claims to fame.
> nancy

They still replace parts. My sister used to sell the stuff and at every
party there would be someone with a worn lid. It was a big selling point for
her to offer the freebies. She made a good buck selling it too, but
competition from the cheap containers knocked their market back quite a bit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mort Adella wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Exactly, I don't remember what I paid for my stuff but I know it
>> wasn't cheap. I've bought pieces over the years. I do have
>> one that needs a new lid, I suppose they'll replace it, that was one
>> of their claims to fame.

> They still replace parts. My sister used to sell the stuff and at
> every party there would be someone with a worn lid. It was a big
> selling point for her to offer the freebies. She made a good buck
> selling it too, but competition from the cheap containers knocked
> their market back quite a bit.

Thank you! Perhaps I'll look into it. Their website isn't especially
helpful.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:31:23 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Nancy wrote on Mon, 26 Oct 2009 14:13:10 -0400:
>
>> Phred wrote:

>>> G'day Nance,
>>>
>>> I've got a couple of Tupperware containers that a friend's
>>> wife bought for me at a Tupperware party back in 1963 (or was
>>> it 1961?).
>>>
>>> They're the "1lb butter size". One still works "as new". The other
>>> doesn't look so good, but it still works okay. (It
>>> seems Tupperware, or at least that old stuff, doesn't like
>>> microwave ovens. :-)

>> That's true.

>>> I don't recall the price at the time -- probably relatively
>>> expensive; but amortised over 46 (48?) years, who cares?

>> Exactly, I don't remember what I paid for my stuff but I know it
>> wasn't cheap. I've bought pieces over the years. I do
>> have one that needs a new lid, I suppose they'll replace it,
>> that was one of their claims to fame.

>Will current Tupperware stand up to microwaves? The Ziplok and Glad
>bowls seem OK, at least for reheating and defrosting.

This is just my experience; Tupperware bowls stand up fine to re-heat
leftovers, but the lids don't like the microwave. They don't melt,
but they do warp a bit. If we're going to re-heat something, we leave
the lid off and cover it with wax paper or parchment paper or a handy
lid our DIL gave us.

http://www.shophometrends.com/produc...E&EID=FR603019

Ron Kelley
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Plastic containers in the freezer.

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Wayne wrote on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 23:13:15 GMT:
>
> >> Hello All!
> >>
> >> Recently, discussing portion reduction, someone said that was
> >> why god created screwtop plastic containers for the
> >> leftovers. I've been using Ziplock screwtop containers for a
> >> while but it has become apparent that there is a
> >> disadvantage. The plastic becomes brittle at freezer
> >> temperatures and often will break if dropped 4 or so feet
> >> onto a vinyl floor. Does anyone have a recommendation for
> >> containers that will survive this drop test?
> >>

> > Sorry, but I can't help. I can only say that we use the same
> > containers in the freezer and have not experienced any
> > cracking or breakage. We use one for storing ground coffee in
> > the freezer that is opened and closed everyday, but we tend
> > not to drop the lid on the floor.

> Perhaps you are more careful than me :-) I have a feeling that I must
> drop the damn things about 10% of the time!

I use the disposable storage containers and have not had one break yet
when dropped. They are re-usable several times too.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I switched to Rubbermaid Take Alongs. They stack well, and they don't
get brittle when frozen.

For smaller servings, I load up a mini-muffin pan, freeze the servings
as little bricks, then wrap each one in waxed paper. I buy the waxed
paper in sheet sof 1000, already cut into squares. It works great,
doesn't use up containers. and I have the perfect serving size.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> I switched to Rubbermaid Take Alongs. They stack well, and they don't
> get brittle when frozen.
>
> For smaller servings, I load up a mini-muffin pan, freeze the servings
> as little bricks, then wrap each one in waxed paper. I buy the waxed
> paper in sheet sof 1000, already cut into squares. It works great,
> doesn't use up containers. and I have the perfect serving size.

Pre-cut waxed paper?
I'm going to have to look for that for when I start making rice
tortillas. I did not know it existed!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Thu, 29 Oct 2009 06:40:14 -0600:

>> I switched to Rubbermaid Take Alongs. They stack well, and
>> they don't get brittle when frozen.
>>
>> For smaller servings, I load up a mini-muffin pan, freeze the
>> servings as little bricks, then wrap each one in waxed paper.
>> I buy the waxed paper in sheet sof 1000, already cut into
>> squares. It works great, doesn't use up containers. and I
>> have the perfect serving size.

> Pre-cut waxed paper?
> I'm going to have to look for that for when I start making
> rice tortillas. I did not know it existed!

Well I've just bought a Foodsaver vacuum sealer at Kohl's for $50. It
also has a hose to evacuate special containers but I'm going to try the
bags made by sealing both ends of a cutoff piece from a roll of double
plastic. It will be a while before I know if I like the device.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 29, 5:40*am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> " > wrote:
> > I switched to Rubbermaid Take Alongs. They stack well, and they don't
> > get brittle when frozen.

> > For smaller servings, I load up a mini-muffin pan, freeze the servings
> > as little bricks, then wrap each one in waxed paper. I buy the waxed
> > paper in sheet sof 1000, already cut into squares. It works great,
> > doesn't use up containers. and I have the perfect serving size.

> Pre-cut waxed paper?
> I'm going to have to look for that for when I start making rice
> tortillas. I did not know it existed!
> --

I buy it at a restaurant supply store that is open to the public. It
is called Cash N Carry and is in the Northwest states. They come in
boxes, 1000 to a box, in different sizes. Much cheaper than the rolls,
and much easier to work with. I think I paid $10 for 1000 sheets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

>> > Sorry, but I can't help. I can only say that we use the same
>> > containers in the freezer and have not experienced any
>> > cracking or breakage. We use one for storing ground coffee in
>> > the freezer that is opened and closed everyday, but we tend
>> > not to drop the lid on the floor.

>I use the disposable storage containers and have not had one break yet
>when dropped. They are re-usable several times too.

Naturally they will shatter when filled with solidly frozen food when
dropped onto a hard surface, but empties will not shatter when dropped

I use lots of those disposable storage containers for freezing,
haven't dropped one yet. But the plastic for the lid is a different
plastic from the container and when right out of the freezer is more
brittle and will crack if not permitted to warm up a bit before
attempting to to remove it. I usually nuke those with the defrost
cycle, if only for a couple minutes so the food will slide out more
easily, that will warm the lid enough so it becomes more pliable and
is far less likely to break... or just leave it sit out on the counter
for a short while to partially defrost, or let it fully defrost in the
fridge. But if you attempt to remove those lids stone cold right from
the freezer they are apt to break at the edges, especially that small
corner tab that's obviously there for more easy lid removal. Also
those containers won't stand up well to full power microwaving so it's
not a good idea to fully heat foods in those containers, I warm them
with low power just enough for the food to slide out into a pot...
then I can place the container in the dishwasher to clean (upper rack)
and it will last through so many uses that I'd no longer call them
"disposable".

Those containers make great toddler toys, especially in the bath where
they become ships. I use them without the lids for desk drawer
organizers.