Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default More Food Tourism

Food notes from London so far:

We're in the middle of a relatively short (four night)
visit to London so our forays into foodiness are not all
that ambitious. Our first night here, being tired from the
overnight flight we just went for above-average pub food at the
Betsey Trotwood (including a free-range beef pot pie, and
free-range lamburger, both quite good). They also have
good beer from Shepherd's Neame, including the house
Betsey's Bitter which seemed the best selection.

The next morning we were disappointed to find out that
our favorite espresso stand, Greens in London Bridge, seems
permanently shut down... not surprising as they were surrounded
on all four sides by Starbuckses. It's too bad, as they really
knew how to make an espresso and were nice people besides.

Then we went to the Waitrose at St Cathereines Dock, where we picked
up eight jars of Rose Harissa, mailing seven of them home.
That afternoon we had lunch at the ICA cafe, which was
very satisfactory but I wouldn't say it is worth a detour.

Then, an early evening dinner at Cinnamon Club (prior to
attending a performance at nearby St Johns Smith Square).
Cinnamon club was definitely worth it, highlights being:
cardamon-infused vodka, a saffron gin cocktail with gold
flecks, tandoori pigeon, a very nice mushroom / root vegetable
curry, and another tropical cocktail called a "Plum's Rush"
that came complimentary with a pre-theatre menu. Everything
was prepared very carefully, the service was excellent, and
the place seemed popular -- I would definitely return.

Today we went to Borough Market, where of course there are
more interesting things than we have time to buy and consume,
but we did get some New Forest Cider, a chorizo sandwich
from Brindisa, and also some of their Serrano ham, which
we had later both on its own and cooked added to Brussels
sprouts. Also a blue sheep chesses from Neal's Yard.

Somewhere in here I should mention the Harvey's ale at
Royal Oak, SE1, still about the best in the city that
I know of.

We leave for Italy on Saturday morning, but if there's
an Italian white truffel at Borough Market tomorrow we
will still probably buy it.

cheers everyone,

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
(Steve Pope) wrote:

> Food notes from London so far:

(snip)
> We leave for Italy on Saturday morning, b
> Steve

Woo-hoo! Have a wonderful trip, Steve.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Food notes from London so far:
>
> We're in the middle of a relatively short (four night)
> visit to London so our forays into foodiness are not all
> that ambitious. Our first night here, being tired from the
> overnight flight we just went for above-average pub food at the
> Betsey Trotwood (including a free-range beef pot pie, and
> free-range lamburger, both quite good). They also have
> good beer from Shepherd's Neame, including the house
> Betsey's Bitter which seemed the best selection.
>
> The next morning we were disappointed to find out that
> our favorite espresso stand, Greens in London Bridge, seems
> permanently shut down... not surprising as they were surrounded
> on all four sides by Starbuckses. It's too bad, as they really
> knew how to make an espresso and were nice people besides.
>
> Then we went to the Waitrose at St Cathereines Dock, where we picked
> up eight jars of Rose Harissa, mailing seven of them home.
> That afternoon we had lunch at the ICA cafe, which was
> very satisfactory but I wouldn't say it is worth a detour.
>
> Then, an early evening dinner at Cinnamon Club (prior to
> attending a performance at nearby St Johns Smith Square).
> Cinnamon club was definitely worth it, highlights being:
> cardamon-infused vodka, a saffron gin cocktail with gold
> flecks, tandoori pigeon, a very nice mushroom / root vegetable
> curry, and another tropical cocktail called a "Plum's Rush"
> that came complimentary with a pre-theatre menu. Everything
> was prepared very carefully, the service was excellent, and
> the place seemed popular -- I would definitely return.
>
> Today we went to Borough Market, where of course there are
> more interesting things than we have time to buy and consume,
> but we did get some New Forest Cider, a chorizo sandwich
> from Brindisa, and also some of their Serrano ham, which
> we had later both on its own and cooked added to Brussels
> sprouts. Also a blue sheep chesses from Neal's Yard.
>
> Somewhere in here I should mention the Harvey's ale at
> Royal Oak, SE1, still about the best in the city that
> I know of.
>
> We leave for Italy on Saturday morning, but if there's
> an Italian white truffel at Borough Market tomorrow we
> will still probably buy it.
>
> cheers everyone,
>
> Steve

Enjoy

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>Have a fabulous trip, Steve!

Thanks!

>Get your bumbershoot ready, it poured in Naples today.

Yes, I'm looking at weather reports, it's supposed
to get less rainy by Monday. We shall see...

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Get your bumbershoot ready, it poured in Naples today.

Right! As if you are there or ever were anyway! I thought you supposedly
left Italy already - not that you were ever there! Just admit you are at
home and never left. Checking the weather in Naples on the internet
proves nothing!