Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Squash identification

My mother and grandmother had a recipe for squash stew with Dill.
Hungarian -> Tok Fozelek. (accents are missing)
http://www.chew.hu/tokfozelek.html
http://chew.hu/fozelek.html

The squash they used was like a Butternut Squash, except that:
it was cylindrical with no bulge at the bottom
the seed chamber was along the whole length of the squash rather than at
the bottom
the meat was more ivory colored, instead of orange
The meat also stayed firm during cooking.

Because the seed chamber was so large and more pumpkin-like in that it went
the whole length of the squash, it was also used to in a recipe where the
seeded halves were stuffed and then baked with a rice and ground meat
stuffing.

Any help in identifyiing this squash and finding out where it or seeds can
be obtained would be appreciated
I'm in Minnesota

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 08:43:50 -0500, "SaPeIsMa" > wrote:

-->My mother and grandmother had a recipe for squash stew with Dill.
--> Hungarian -> Tok Fozelek. (accents are missing)
--> http://www.chew.hu/tokfozelek.html
--> http://chew.hu/fozelek.html
-->
-->The squash they used was like a Butternut Squash, except that:
--> it was cylindrical with no bulge at the bottom
--> the seed chamber was along the whole length of the squash rather than at
-->the bottom
--> the meat was more ivory colored, instead of orange
--> The meat also stayed firm during cooking.
-->
-->Because the seed chamber was so large and more pumpkin-like in that it went
-->the whole length of the squash, it was also used to in a recipe where the
-->seeded halves were stuffed and then baked with a rice and ground meat
-->stuffing.
-->
-->Any help in identifyiing this squash and finding out where it or seeds can
-->be obtained would be appreciated
--> I'm in Minnesota

What you described sounds something like a winter squash called the Banana
Squash. It's a larger cylindrical shaped squash with sloped ends.
Google it and see if it looks like some of the images.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

SCP wrote:
> What you described sounds something like a winter squash called the Banana
> Squash. It's a larger cylindrical shaped squash with sloped ends.
> Google it and see if it looks like some of the images.

You may be right, it sounds like a banana squash to me.

http://www.cookwithaloha.com/BananaSquash.jpg

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article t>,
"SaPeIsMa" > wrote:

> My mother and grandmother had a recipe for squash stew with Dill.
> Hungarian -> Tok Fozelek. (accents are missing)
> http://www.chew.hu/tokfozelek.html
> http://chew.hu/fozelek.html

(snip)
> Any help in identifyiing this squash and finding out where it or seeds can
> be obtained would be appreciated
> I'm in Minnesota

I'm in MN. You might try extension.umn.edu and find their gardening
information -- I'm pretty sure there are master gardeners who are
available to answer questions.

Good luck and let us know what it is if you find out.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:00:02 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>I'm in MN. You might try extension.umn.edu and find their gardening
>information -- I'm pretty sure there are master gardeners who are
>available to answer questions.

Extension agents are our unsung heroes. I wish they were better known
and more appreciated.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 21, 6:43*am, "SaPeIsMa" > wrote:
> My mother and grandmother had a recipe for squash stew with Dill.
> * * Hungarian -> Tok Fozelek. (accents are missing)
> * * * *http://www.chew.hu/tokfozelek.html
> * * * *http://chew.hu/fozelek.html
>
> The squash they used was like a Butternut Squash, except that:
> * * it was cylindrical with no bulge at the bottom
> * * the seed chamber was along the whole length of the squash rather than at
> the bottom
> * * the meat was more ivory colored, instead of orange
> * * The meat also stayed firm during cooking.
>
> Because the seed chamber was so large and more pumpkin-like in that it went
> the whole length of the squash, it was also used to in a recipe where the
> seeded halves were stuffed and then baked with a rice and ground meat
> stuffing.
>
> Any help in identifyiing this squash and finding out where it or seeds can
> be obtained would be appreciated
> * * I'm in Minnesota

You can just let a zucchini get big if you like.

http://www.fsz.bme.hu/hungary/cuisin...oltott_tok.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"SaPeIsMa" > wrote:
>> My mother and grandmother had a recipe for squash stew with Dill.
>> * * Hungarian -> Tok Fozelek. (accents are missing)
>> * * * *http://www.chew.hu/tokfozelek.html
>> * * * *http://chew.hu/fozelek.html
>>
>> The squash they used was like a Butternut Squash, except that:
>> * * it was cylindrical with no bulge at the bottom
>> * * the seed chamber was along the whole length of the squash rather than at
>> the bottom
>> * * the meat was more ivory colored, instead of orange
>> * * The meat also stayed firm during cooking.
>>
>> Because the seed chamber was so large and more pumpkin-like in that it went
>> the whole length of the squash, it was also used to in a recipe where the
>> seeded halves were stuffed and then baked with a rice and ground meat
>> stuffing.
>>
>> Any help in identifyiing this squash and finding out where it or seeds can
>> be obtained would be appreciated
>> * * I'm in Minnesota

Save the seeds from the squash that you have... there's just as much
chance they'll produce true to form as not... worth a shot. With
squash and other annuals a lot has to do with what other varietals are
growing nearby, sometimes they cross pollinateand you get a weird
looking specimen but still very edible. A few years ago I planted
ordinary pattypan squash seeds, the plants produced huge multicolored
things, but they cooked up fine.

You can pick out my aliens:
http://i38.tinypic.com/4u9xnb.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/25ukugi.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/10sgg9i.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/m9shmp.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

beautiful
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"SaPeIsMa" > wrote in message
ernet...
> My mother and grandmother had a recipe for squash stew with Dill.
> Hungarian -> Tok Fozelek. (accents are missing)
> http://www.chew.hu/tokfozelek.html
> http://chew.hu/fozelek.html
>
> The squash they used was like a Butternut Squash, except that:
> it was cylindrical with no bulge at the bottom
> the seed chamber was along the whole length of the squash rather than
> at the bottom
> the meat was more ivory colored, instead of orange
> The meat also stayed firm during cooking.
>
> Because the seed chamber was so large and more pumpkin-like in that it
> went the whole length of the squash, it was also used to in a recipe where
> the seeded halves were stuffed and then baked with a rice and ground meat
> stuffing.
>
> Any help in identifyiing this squash and finding out where it or seeds can
> be obtained would be appreciated
> I'm in Minnesota
>

> http://www.foodsubs.com/Squash.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "SaPeIsMa" > wrote:
>>> My mother and grandmother had a recipe for squash stew with Dill.
>>> Hungarian -> Tok Fozelek. (accents are missing)
>>> http://www.chew.hu/tokfozelek.html
>>> http://chew.hu/fozelek.html
>>>
>>> The squash they used was like a Butternut Squash, except that:
>>> it was cylindrical with no bulge at the bottom
>>> the seed chamber was along the whole length of the squash rather than at
>>> the bottom
>>> the meat was more ivory colored, instead of orange
>>> The meat also stayed firm during cooking.
>>>
>>> Because the seed chamber was so large and more pumpkin-like in that it
>>> went
>>> the whole length of the squash, it was also used to in a recipe where
>>> the
>>> seeded halves were stuffed and then baked with a rice and ground meat
>>> stuffing.
>>>
>>> Any help in identifyiing this squash and finding out where it or seeds
>>> can
>>> be obtained would be appreciated
>>> I'm in Minnesota

> Save the seeds from the squash that you have... there's just as much
> chance they'll produce true to form as not... worth a shot. With
> squash and other annuals a lot has to do with what other varietals are
> growing nearby, sometimes they cross pollinateand you get a weird
> looking specimen but still very edible. A few years ago I planted
> ordinary pattypan squash seeds, the plants produced huge multicolored
> things, but they cooked up fine.
>
> You can pick out my aliens:
> http://i38.tinypic.com/4u9xnb.jpg
> http://i37.tinypic.com/25ukugi.jpg
> http://i37.tinypic.com/10sgg9i.jpg
> http://i36.tinypic.com/m9shmp.jpg

Wish I could find pattypan squash that big. What do you do with them?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:

>> http://www.foodsubs.com/Squash.html

That was an informative squash and I agree with most of the
identifications except for Hubbard.

The Hubbard I'm familiar with (often called Blue Hubbard) is
usually a pale bluish-gray, somewhat "warty" skinned, bulbous in
the middle with tapering ends that curve as they leave the
middle. It can be very large, often the size of a large
watermelon, so it is often sold in chunks instead of whole.

The texture is relatively smooth and dry and quite sweet.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:

> Wish I could find pattypan squash that big. What do you do with them?

Bigger isn't better in this case.

When we grew pattypan the skins were creamy white and we picked
them when they were less than 2" across. Any bigger and the
skins toughened and seeds got large and unpleasant. They were
good steamed or stir-friend, either whole or sliced.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

>Kswck wrote:
>>
>> Wish I could find pattypan squash that big. What do you do with them?

>Bigger isn't better in this case.
>
>When we grew pattypan the skins were creamy white and we picked
>them when they were less than 2" across. Any bigger and the
>skins toughened and seeds got large and unpleasant.

My aliens being an accidental cross were more of a winter than a
summer squash, they were excellent grilled (with grilled chicken).
Yes, you can grill winter squash... I often slow grill butternut with
indirect heat, after three hours it dehydrates and turns out like
smoked gouda, but with far less calories.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2exlk0i.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2vmbvc9.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/33dy4xh.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> My aliens being an accidental cross were more of a winter than a
> summer squash, they were excellent grilled (with grilled chicken).
> Yes, you can grill winter squash... I often slow grill butternut with
> indirect heat, after three hours it dehydrates and turns out like
> smoked gouda, but with far less calories.

Your "aliens" were quite pretty.

I've boiled and roasted/baked butternut but never grilled it.
I do like eggplant grilled. And combinations like summer squash
or zucchini grilled in a grilling basket with onions, mushrooms,
peppers, etc.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
> Kswck wrote:
>

>> Wish I could find pattypan squash that big. What do you do with them?

> Bigger isn't better in this case.
>
> When we grew pattypan the skins were creamy white and we picked them when
> they were less than 2" across. Any bigger and the skins toughened and
> seeds got large and unpleasant. They were
> good steamed or stir-friend, either whole or sliced.
>
> gloria p

Well, I usually hollow em out, and stuff them with bread crumbs, squash, red
onion, garlic & parmesean. Then bake em at 350 for 45-50 minutes, add a
layer of mozzarella and brown it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "SaPeIsMa" > wrote:
>>> My mother and grandmother had a recipe for squash stew with Dill.
>>> Hungarian -> Tok Fozelek. (accents are missing)
>>> http://www.chew.hu/tokfozelek.html
>>> http://chew.hu/fozelek.html
>>>
>>> The squash they used was like a Butternut Squash, except that:
>>> it was cylindrical with no bulge at the bottom
>>> the seed chamber was along the whole length of the squash rather than at
>>> the bottom
>>> the meat was more ivory colored, instead of orange
>>> The meat also stayed firm during cooking.
>>>
>>> Because the seed chamber was so large and more pumpkin-like in that it
>>> went
>>> the whole length of the squash, it was also used to in a recipe where
>>> the
>>> seeded halves were stuffed and then baked with a rice and ground meat
>>> stuffing.
>>>
>>> Any help in identifyiing this squash and finding out where it or seeds
>>> can
>>> be obtained would be appreciated
>>> I'm in Minnesota

> Save the seeds from the squash that you have... there's just as much
> chance they'll produce true to form as not... worth a shot. With
> squash and other annuals a lot has to do with what other varietals are
> growing nearby, sometimes they cross pollinateand you get a weird
> looking specimen but still very edible. A few years ago I planted
> ordinary pattypan squash seeds, the plants produced huge multicolored
> things, but they cooked up fine.
>
> You can pick out my aliens:
> http://i38.tinypic.com/4u9xnb.jpg
> http://i37.tinypic.com/25ukugi.jpg
> http://i37.tinypic.com/10sgg9i.jpg
> http://i36.tinypic.com/m9shmp.jpg

Very nice crop
But I don't have any seeds
I'm trying to figure out what squash it was and get seeds to grow my own.

By the way, for those interested, the Hungarian-style squash stew is OK with
the Butternut, but a tad too sweet.
And grating it was so much faster with a food processor than an old
style grater

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
> brooklyn1 wrote:
>

>> My aliens being an accidental cross were more of a winter than a
>> summer squash, they were excellent grilled (with grilled chicken).
>> Yes, you can grill winter squash... I often slow grill butternut with
>> indirect heat, after three hours it dehydrates and turns out like
>> smoked gouda, but with far less calories.
>>

> Your "aliens" were quite pretty.
>
> I've boiled and roasted/baked butternut but never grilled it.
> I do like eggplant grilled. And combinations like summer squash or
> zucchini grilled in a grilling basket with onions, mushrooms, peppers,
> etc.
>
> gloria p

Use a butter/brown sugar mix to coat it.
Cinnamon goes well with that
So does a small dose of Chipotle.

Member

Because the seed chamber was so large and more pumpkin-like in that it went
the whole length of the squash, it was also used to in a recipe where the
seeded halves were stuffed and then baked with a rice and ground meat
stuffing.

Any help in identifyiing this squash and finding out where it or seeds can
be obtained would be appreciated
I'm in Minnesota[/quote]

After 20 years of craving tokfozelek, I found a picture on the web at

Search - Reimer Seeds

It's called white squash. Just then my sister told me I could have used overgrown zucchinis.

Anyways, I planted seeds at the end of June and I have my first small squash! They are growing like crazy in the NH climate.