Posted to alt.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.culture.usa,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.food.cooking

Default well here it is: US Congress votes to allow Guantanamo transfers toUS

US Congress votes to allow Guantanamo transfers to US

(AFP) – 5 hours ago

WASHINGTON — The US Congress on Tuesday gave President Barack Obama
the green light to bring Guantanamo Bay detainees to US soil for
trial, in a boost to his efforts to close the notorious facility.

The legislation, part of a 42.7-billion-dollar bill to fund the US
Department of Homeland Security in 2010, cleared the Senate 79-19
after sailing through the House of Representatives last week.

Obama vowed on his second day in office to shutter the facility, a
magnet for global criticism of US tactics in the "war on terrorism,"
by January 22, though White House aides say they face an uphill fight
to keep that promise.

Of the roughly 220 people still held at the controversial prison camp,
which then-president George W. Bush opened in January 2002, about 80
are waiting to be released and a further 60 are expected to be
prosecuted.

The legislation forbids the release of detainees at the US naval base
in Cuba onto US soil -- including overseas territories like Guam or
Puerto Rico -- and requires a detailed assessment of the possible
security risk 45 days before they can be brought to trial in the
United States.

The assessment would have to include details of the dangers involved,
steps to diminish the possible threat, the legal rationale for the
transfer, and assurances to the governor of the receiving state that
the individual poses little or no security risk.

The legislation also says the detainees cannot be sent to another
country unless the president gives Congress the name of the detainee,
the destination, a risk assessment, and the terms of a transfer.

The measure would also allow the Pentagon to block the release of
photographs showing abuse of suspected terrorists in US custody, in
line with Obama's policy of opposing efforts to make such pictures
public.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has been fighting in court
to win the release of some of the photographs, but the legislation is
seen as short-circuiting the group's legal challenges.

The bill did not address whether the Obama administration can hold
prisoners indefinitely without charge in the United States and left
unclear what the fate would be of those who may be tried and
acquitted.

The government team tasked with assessing the detainee cases has
struggled to persuade other countries to take some of the captives,
with only a trickle of prisoners -- some 27 -- transferred since
Obama's inauguration in January.

Prosecution, even by a special system of military commissions created
for that purpose by the US Congress, has been dogged by problems,
including charges of evidence tainted by abuse, and criticized for
allowing hearsay evidence.

Obama's Republican foes have opposed bringing detainees to US soil for
trial or detention -- even if the detainees were contained alongside
serial murderers and rapists in high security federal prisons.

US prisons already house a number of inmates convicted on terrorism
charges, such as Al-Qaeda plotter Zacarias Moussaoui, the only person
convicted in the attacks of September 11, 2001, who is serving a life
sentence in Colorado.

Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, who says he favors closing the
facility, has proposed legislation blocking trials on US soil for five
Guantanamo detainees suspected of connections to the September 11th
attacks.
Posted to alt.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.culture.usa,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.food.cooking

duckstandard wrote:
> US Congress votes to allow Guantanamo transfers to US
>
> (AFP) – 5 hours ago

And to add, bring em here to Florence Colorado, we have a Democrat
Denver Mayor and a Democrat Colorado governor. A functional gas
chamber for the death penalty that I had an opportunity to sit in. We
have a completely dysfunctional Republican party that it's politicans
only come out of the woodwork to try scare the people by saying you
vote Democrat you will have terrorists in your back yard, and other
scumbag political tactics. Bring em on, let the justice system sort em
out.

Oh and by the way you pathetic right wingers, they will not be
released in this country. Never would have been, so go jack each other
off or something, go ride a horse, just get out of the
way.
Posted to alt.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.culture.usa,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.food.cooking

"duckstandard" > wrote in message

duckstandard wrote:
> US Congress votes to allow Guantanamo transfers to US
>
> (AFP) – 5 hours ago

And to add, bring em here to Florence Colorado, we have a Democrat
Denver Mayor and a Democrat Colorado governor. A functional gas
chamber for the death penalty that I had an opportunity to sit in. We
have a completely dysfunctional Republican party that it's politicans
only come out of the woodwork to try scare the people by saying you
vote Democrat you will have terrorists in your back yard, and other
scumbag political tactics. Bring em on, let the justice system sort em
out.

Oh and by the way you pathetic right wingers, they will not be
released in this country. Never would have been, so go jack each other
off or something, go ride a horse, just get out of the
way.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^

yeah........... let Colorado have them
what could go wrong
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_massacre

nothing ever happens........ in Colorado anyway

BITE ME

Posted to alt.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.culture.usa,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.food.cooking

On Oct 20, 10:49*pm, duckstandard > wrote:
> duckstandard wrote:
> > US Congress votes to allow Guantanamo transfers to US

> > (AFP) – 5 hours ago

> And to add, bring em here to Florence Colorado, we have a Democrat
> Denver Mayor and a *Democrat Colorado governor. A functional gas
> chamber for the death penalty that I had an opportunity to sit in. We
> have a completely dysfunctional Republican party that it's politicans
> only come out of the woodwork to try scare the people by saying you
> vote Democrat you will have terrorists in your back yard, and other
> scumbag political tactics. Bring em on, let the justice system sort em
> out.
>
> Oh and by the way you pathetic right wingers, they will not be
> released in this country. Never would have been, so go jack each other
> off or something, go ride a horse, just get out of the
> way.

What makes you think they won't be released on American soil?? WTF do
you base that assumption on?? All it takes is one far left kook
liberal judge to make the decision.
Posted to alt.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.culture.usa,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.food.cooking

Straightarrow wrote:
> On Oct 20, 10:49 pm, duckstandard > wrote:
>> duckstandard wrote:
>>> US Congress votes to allow Guantanamo transfers to US
>>> (AFP) – 5 hours ago

>> And to add, bring em here to Florence Colorado, we have a Democrat
>> Denver Mayor and a Democrat Colorado governor. A functional gas
>> chamber for the death penalty that I had an opportunity to sit in. We
>> have a completely dysfunctional Republican party that it's politicans
>> only come out of the woodwork to try scare the people by saying you
>> vote Democrat you will have terrorists in your back yard, and other
>> scumbag political tactics. Bring em on, let the justice system sort em
>> out.
>>
>> Oh and by the way you pathetic right wingers, they will not be
>> released in this country. Never would have been, so go jack each other
>> off or something, go ride a horse, just get out of the
>> way.

> What makes you think they won't be released on American soil?? WTF do
> you base that assumption on?? All it takes is one far left kook
> liberal judge to make the decision.

The "court of public opinion". The american sheeple are too afraid of
teh big bad skawey terraists to let them out of custody, despite any
findings from judicial proceedings.
We rounded up a shitload of brown people and labeled them and made
ourselves feel better for a while thinking we'd solved a problem, and
simultaneously created several others.
****ing brilliant as usual.

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S39MhPrLQz4

www.snuhwolf.9f.com | http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

_..._ ___ ___ ___ ___ _..._
,' `::. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,' `::.
: `::: `:: `:: `:: `:: `:::
: .::: .:: .:: .:: .:: .:::
: .:::`. .;' `. .;' `. .;'.`. .;': .:::
: .::: `.' .`.'.: `.' ::`.' :. .:::
:. .::' ::: : `: .:::
`: .:: : : .::'
: .:: . :. .::
: ::' `: .::.
.\ `: ,: :. : .::.:
:.\ :. :.: :`: .' .::.:
::`. : :':: : `: : .;'.:
: `.; :'.:: : :: ;:' ::
. :' .::. .: .:: :
: :' ::: :' .:: .
: `:: : .::
:' .::. .: .:::
: .::: ,:. .:. :' .:::
: .:::,' `:. ,' `:.: .:::
: .::: ::: ::: .:::
: .::: ::: ::: .:::
`._ .::'.`._.::' `._.::'.`._ .::' _ Seal _
~~~ :: :: ~~~

Posted to alt.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.culture.usa,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.food.cooking

duckstandard > wrote in
:

> duckstandard wrote:
>> US Congress votes to allow Guantanamo transfers to US
>>
>> (AFP) – 5 hours ago
>>

> And to add, bring em here to Florence Colorado, we have a Democrat
> Denver Mayor and a Democrat Colorado governor. A functional gas
> chamber for the death penalty that I had an opportunity to sit in. We
> have a completely dysfunctional Republican party that it's politicans
> only come out of the woodwork to try scare the people by saying you
> vote Democrat you will have terrorists in your back yard, and other
> scumbag political tactics. Bring em on, let the justice system sort em
> out.
>
> Oh and by the way you pathetic right wingers, they will not be
> released in this country.

You can't say that. A *lot* of the detainees may have US citizenship. And
from all accounts the vast majority are merely soldiers from the war in
Afganistan - nothing more. Some of whom never even fought.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
Posted to alt.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.culture.usa,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.food.cooking

duckstandard > wrote in
:

> US Congress votes to allow Guantanamo transfers to US
>
> (AFP) – 5 hours ago
>
> WASHINGTON — The US Congress on Tuesday gave President Barack Obama
> the green light to bring Guantanamo Bay detainees to US soil for
> trial, in a boost to his efforts to close the notorious facility.
>
> The legislation, part of a 42.7-billion-dollar bill to fund the US
> Department of Homeland Security in 2010, cleared the Senate 79-19
> after sailing through the House of Representatives last week.
>
> Obama vowed on his second day in office to shutter the facility, a
> magnet for global criticism of US tactics in the "war on terrorism,"
> by January 22, though White House aides say they face an uphill fight
> to keep that promise.
>
> Of the roughly 220 people still held at the controversial prison camp,
> which then-president George W. Bush opened in January 2002, about 80
> are waiting to be released and a further 60 are expected to be
> prosecuted.
>
> The legislation forbids the release of detainees at the US naval base
> in Cuba onto US soil -- including overseas territories like Guam or
> Puerto Rico -- and requires a detailed assessment of the possible
> security risk 45 days before they can be brought to trial in the
> United States.

A part which is complete legal nonsence as they *are* on US soil now.

> The assessment would have to include details of the dangers involved,
> steps to diminish the possible threat, the legal rationale for the
> transfer, and assurances to the governor of the receiving state that
> the individual poses little or no security risk.

Yes, god knows there's no prisons in the US where they could be held.
ROFL.

> Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, who says he favors closing the
> facility, has proposed legislation blocking trials on US soil for five
> Guantanamo detainees suspected of connections to the September 11th
> attacks.

Yes, they can't allow *any* evidence showing exactly how incompetent
her former leader was.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
Posted to alt.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.culture.usa,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.food.cooking

Straightarrow wrote:
> On Oct 20, 10:49*pm, duckstandard > wrote:
> > duckstandard wrote:
> > > US Congress votes to allow Guantanamo transfers to US

> > > (AFP) – 5 hours ago

> > And to add, bring em here to Florence Colorado, we have a Democrat
> > Denver Mayor and a *Democrat Colorado governor. A functional gas
> > chamber for the death penalty that I had an opportunity to sit in. We
> > have a completely dysfunctional Republican party that it's politicans
> > only come out of the woodwork to try scare the people by saying you
> > vote Democrat you will have terrorists in your back yard, and other
> > scumbag political tactics. Bring em on, let the justice system sort em
> > out.
> >
> > Oh and by the way you pathetic right wingers, they will not be
> > released in this country. Never would have been, so go jack each other
> > off or something, go ride a horse, just get out of the
> > way.

> What makes you think they won't be released on American soil?? WTF do
> you base that assumption on?? All it takes is one far left kook
> liberal judge to make the decision.

Scared are ya? hyperearful, is that all you get out of American
politics? Want to think of and expect the worst?

Did you notice the Republicans using fear that with Iraq that if we
leave they will follow us here.
That mixed with chanting cut and run? How the high level Republicans
upped the terror alert levels before the elections and helped elect
Bush the second time. Ya think maybe your just being manipulated to be
fearful so you elect Republicans every time? Note how the Republicans
running for president would refer to Obama as BinLaden. How some of
the more clueless actually though he was Osama BinLaden, that the 9/11
terrorist was actually running for president. How Obama was possibly a
sleeper cell terrorist. How he is said to be a Muslim, even to this
day, even though he went to the racist church for 20 years.

To your question, there are provisions that specifically say that they
will not be released in the United States. Not sure if it states that
above, but it's fact.

Ask your party this, why Republicans are opposing bringing these
people while we already house the first trade center attackers? Why
they didn't figure out what to do with them
before the next president would take office in the first place?

I don't know but the Republican party is nothing but a chaotic
paranoid accusatory mess, and it's messing with the Democrats program
to serve me, as a taxpayer, as an American.

--------------------

Where to put Guantanamo prisoners? They're welcome in Colorado
Residents of Florence say they don't mind the supermax prison outside
town. And a few more terrorism suspects there wouldn't bother them.
By Nicholas Riccardi|June 04, 2009

Reporting from Florence, Colo. — Like many folks in this tranquil
town, Patty Liberty has no problem living just down the road from some
of the world's most notorious terrorists.

Zacarias Moussaoui, known as "the 20th hijacker" for his attempts to
join in the Sept. 11 attacks, resides at the supermax prison just
outside the city limits. So do would-be shoe bomber Richard Reid and
Ramzi Yousef, who tried to blow up the World Trade Center in 1993.
Unabomber Theodore Kaczynski lives there too.

"We've had horrible people; you don't even think about it," said
Liberty, 36 and a mother of two who works at a local gas station. How
would she feel should the Obama administration move detainees from
Guantanamo Bay to the maximum-security prison, a step that Colorado's
senators and the congressman representing the area say would be too
risky?

"As long as they keep them where they're supposed to be," Liberty said
with a shrug.

It's the hottest debate in Washington -- where to put hard-core
terrorists once President Obama shutters Guantanamo. The Senate last
week overwhelmingly rejected providing funds to close the U.S.
military prison in Cuba, saying that no community in America would
want terrorism suspects in its backyard.

Maybe they haven't been to Florence. Starved for jobs 17 years ago,
the town of 3,600 residents bought a chunk of land outside its borders
and gave it to the federal government to build a maximum-security
prison to house the worst of the worst.

Most locals don't blink at the idea of taking Guantanamo detainees --
and even the ones who object acknowledge that the issue has yet to
replace cows, horses and the high school football team as a leading
topic of conversation.

"People here don't care about it," said Bob Wood, editor and publisher
of the community newspaper, the Florence Citizen. "We pretty much feel
that if they ship them here, these guys [the federal prison guards]
will take care of them."

This doesn't mean that everyone is blase about Guantanamo alumni.
"They're much more skilled in being devious and getting around a
system such as supermax," said Realtor Marilyn Snellstrom.

But that's a minority view. "There haven't been any escapes out there,
and these guys aren't going anywhere," said City Manager Tom
Piltingsrud. "I brought it up at our local Rotary Club meeting on
Thursday, and nobody voiced a concern."

Obama has not specified where the 240 prisoners at Guantanamo will end
up. Some, he said last week, will be released, but others will
continue to be held without trial.

And supermax is almost maxed out, with only one bed to spare. Moving
any detainees there would require expanding the 490-bed facility or
transferring current prisoners elsewhere.

But the prison is frequently floated as a possible destination for
Guantanamo inmates. Sen Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) suggested it last
month, and Colorado Gov. Bill Ritter Jr., also a Democrat, pitched the
idea in January.

The top-security inmates at supermax are only allowed out of their
cells for one hour of physical activity daily. They are completely
isolated from other inmates. No one has escaped from the prison since
it opened in 1994, though two inmates were killed during a riot in
April 2008 that raised concerns of overcrowding.

The prison is one of nearly a dozen lockups in the vicinity of
Florence, which is surrounded by arid ranchland 30 miles southwest of
Colorado Springs. Several state and territorial prisons rise from the
nearby hillsides.

Supermax, which sits just outside the city limits and a development
built around a golf course, abuts two other, lower-security federal
prisons and a minimum-security camp for nonviolent offenders. The
prisons are an afterthought for most, just part of the scenery, like
the craggy mouth of the Arkansas River gorge that towers to the west.

"You hear a siren around here and you think 'accident' before you
think 'prisoner,' " said Diana Winkler, who works at an antiques store
downtown.

Indeed, locals think the town should be better known for its 20-plus
antiques stores and restored Victorians than its lockups. If
Guantanamo detainees do come to supermax, they fear, Florence could
become an international symbol of American oppression.

"People will know about us all over the world," said Jerry Draper, a
retired schoolteacher. "What's wrong with leaving Guantanamo open?"

It was Smasher Tuesday at 2 Sisters restaurant downtown recently (a
smasher is a half-pound cheeseburger and fries, which sells for
$3.85). Several diners said they didn't like the idea of closing
Guantanamo.

"They can't punish these guys harshly enough," said Leland Jenkins, a
54-year-old rancher, as he polished off his Smasher.

This is a conservative area -- Fremont County voted for Republican
Sen. John McCain for president by a 63%-34% margin. Jenkins said of
Obama, "He's not my president." But he and several others agreed that,
should the president get his way with Guantanamo, Florence could be a
good place for the bad guys to end up.

Citing locals' patriotism and love of the 2nd Amendment, Jenkins
allowed that detainees would "be a lot safer in there [supermax] than
out on the street."

Our Congress labeling GMOs sf[_9_] General Cooking 4 19-07-2014 01:43 PM
Manchester united transfers??? StacySpencer Asian Cooking 0 08-09-2011 05:57 AM
VOTES BULLFROG[_2_] General Cooking 0 10-11-2007 04:39 AM
Call For Votes (CFV): aus.food Ausadmin General Cooking 101 24-09-2005 01:21 AM
Call For Votes (CFV): aus.food Ausadmin Wine 0 07-09-2005 07:33 AM