FoodBanter.com

-   -   Kaffir Lime leaves substitution (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/177980-kaffir-lime-leaves-substitution.html)

Zeppo 17-10-2009 09:48 PM

Kaffir Lime leaves substitution

So I decided to make a shrimp dish with coconut lemon and ginger for some
friends coming over tomorrow. The dish calls for 6 kaffir lime leaves. I
visited two Asian markets and called two others today and they are nowhere
to be found in my area.

What would be a good substitution? I've seen some stuff online that would
point to using lime zest instead and some other articles that said that it
wasn't a good replacement. Would I be better just leaving it out?

The first market I visited, a Korean supermarket, said they haven't been
able to get kaffir lime since last spring when FDA officials raided all the
Asian groceries in the region and confiscated all the lime leaves. WTF?

Jon

pbein 17-10-2009 10:03 PM

On Oct 17, 1:48*pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> So I decided to make a shrimp dish with coconut lemon and ginger for some
> friends coming over tomorrow. The dish calls for 6 kaffir lime leaves. I
> visited two Asian markets and called two others today and they are nowhere
> to be found in my area.
>
> What would be a good substitution? I've seen some stuff online that would
> point to using lime zest instead and some other articles that said that it
> wasn't a good replacement. Would I be better just leaving it out?
>
> The first market I visited, a Korean supermarket, said they haven't been
> able to get kaffir lime since last spring when FDA officials raided all the
> Asian groceries in the region and confiscated all the lime leaves. WTF?
>
> Jon

Hi Jon,
The zest of Lime works as agreat substitute for Kaffir leaves. The
aroma is almost identical.
Cheers

notbob 17-10-2009 10:40 PM

On 2009-10-17, Zeppo > wrote:

> able to get kaffir lime since last spring when FDA officials raided all the
> Asian groceries in the region and confiscated all the lime leaves. WTF?

What state was this in?

No one expects the FDA to look out for the consumer, only agribiz,
which is what that's all about. Foreign grown Kaffir lime trees are
verboten in many citrus producing states. Apparently, those shops
didn't have "papers" for their trees. One grower ships their US
raised kaffir lime trees to all but 3 states:

http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/

See their FAQ.

If you order one, read up on "scale", the bane of citrus trees... and
keep your receipt! ;)

nb

SCP[_3_] 18-10-2009 12:38 AM

Kaffir Lime leaves substitution

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 21:40:24 GMT, notbob > wrote:

-->On 2009-10-17, Zeppo > wrote:
-->
-->> able to get kaffir lime since last spring when FDA officials raided all
the
-->> Asian groceries in the region and confiscated all the lime leaves. WTF?
-->
-->What state was this in?
-->
-->No one expects the FDA to look out for the consumer, only agribiz,
-->which is what that's all about. Foreign grown Kaffir lime trees are
-->verboten in many citrus producing states. Apparently, those shops
-->didn't have "papers" for their trees. One grower ships their US
-->raised kaffir lime trees to all but 3 states:
-->

Makrud limes are available in most markets supplying the east Indian segment of
the population. btw kaffir is derogatory and offensive in some cultures.

notbob 18-10-2009 01:11 AM

On 2009-10-17, SCP > wrote:

> btw kaffir is derogatory and offensive in some cultures.

So was Howdy Doody's last name. Get over it.

nb

Janet Wilder[_1_] 18-10-2009 02:48 AM

Zeppo wrote:
> So I decided to make a shrimp dish with coconut lemon and ginger for some
> friends coming over tomorrow. The dish calls for 6 kaffir lime leaves. I
> visited two Asian markets and called two others today and they are nowhere
> to be found in my area.

I'm interested in the recipe for the shrimp dish. Can you share it? It
sounds lovely.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Zeppo[_2_] 19-10-2009 02:58 PM

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2009-10-17, Zeppo > wrote:
>
>> able to get kaffir lime since last spring when FDA officials raided all
>> the
>> Asian groceries in the region and confiscated all the lime leaves. WTF?

> What state was this in?
>
> No one expects the FDA to look out for the consumer, only agribiz,
> which is what that's all about. Foreign grown Kaffir lime trees are
> verboten in many citrus producing states. Apparently, those shops
> didn't have "papers" for their trees. One grower ships their US
> raised kaffir lime trees to all but 3 states:
>
> http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/
>
> See their FAQ.
>
> If you order one, read up on "scale", the bane of citrus trees... and
> keep your receipt! ;)
>
> nb

Thanks, NB. I might just give this a try.

James Silverton[_4_] 19-10-2009 03:13 PM

SCP wrote on Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:38:47 -0500:

> -->On 2009-10-17, Zeppo > wrote:
> -->
> -->> able to get kaffir lime since last spring when FDA
> officials raided all the
> -->> Asian groceries in the region and confiscated all the
> lime leaves. WTF? -->
> -->What state was this in?
> -->
> -->No one expects the FDA to look out for the consumer, only
> agribiz, -->which is what that's all about. Foreign grown
> Kaffir lime trees are -->verboten in many citrus producing
> states. Apparently, those shops -->didn't have "papers" for
> their trees. One grower ships their US -->raised kaffir lime
> trees to all but 3 states: -->

>Makrud limes are available in most markets supplying the east Indian
>segment of
>the population. btw kaffir is derogatory and offensive in some
>cultures.

I did know that "kaffir" had been used in South Africa but had not
realised it was really derogatory. However, Gernot Katzer's article on
Kaffir Limes confirms this. Here is the URL for Gernot's page
http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Zeppo[_2_] 19-10-2009 03:27 PM

"pbein" > wrote in message
> On Oct 17, 1:48 pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
>> So I decided to make a shrimp dish with coconut lemon and ginger for some
>> friends coming over tomorrow. The dish calls for 6 kaffir lime leaves. I
>> visited two Asian markets and called two others today and they are
>> nowhere
>> to be found in my area.
>>
>> What would be a good substitution? I've seen some stuff online that would
>> point to using lime zest instead and some other articles that said that
>> it
>> wasn't a good replacement. Would I be better just leaving it out?
>>
>> The first market I visited, a Korean supermarket, said they haven't been
>> able to get kaffir lime since last spring when FDA officials raided all
>> the
>> Asian groceries in the region and confiscated all the lime leaves. WTF?
>>
>> Jon

> Hi Jon,
> The zest of Lime works as agreat substitute for Kaffir leaves. The
> aroma is almost identical.
> Cheers

Thanks, Pbein. I was going to go that way, but ended up sourcing some leaves
after all.

Thanks,
Jon

Zeppo[_2_] 19-10-2009 03:33 PM

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2009-10-17, Zeppo > wrote:
>
>> able to get kaffir lime since last spring when FDA officials raided all
>> the
>> Asian groceries in the region and confiscated all the lime leaves. WTF?

> What state was this in?
>
> No one expects the FDA to look out for the consumer, only agribiz,
> which is what that's all about. Foreign grown Kaffir lime trees are
> verboten in many citrus producing states. Apparently, those shops
> didn't have "papers" for their trees. One grower ships their US
> raised kaffir lime trees to all but 3 states:
>
> http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/
>
> See their FAQ.
>
> If you order one, read up on "scale", the bane of citrus trees... and
> keep your receipt! ;)
>
> nb

So I found some leaves after all.

We met some friends Saturday night before a play to go to an Italian
restaurant for dinner. Something happened with our reservation and they
couldn't accommodate us. We walked across the street to a Thai/Vietnamese
restaurant and were seated right away. I was BS'ing with the waiter for a
few minutes before we ordered and asked him where they sourced their leaves.
He said they had a few friends that grew them as a side business and
supplied the Asian restaurants in the area. I asked if he might have an
'oversupply' and be able to help me with the shortage I was experiencing.
Although he just laughed when I asked, when I opened the leatherette folder
for the check, they were 6 lime leaves enclosed in saran wrap.

The dish came out great.

Jon

notbob 19-10-2009 03:43 PM

On 2009-10-19, Zeppo > wrote:

> for the check, they were 6 lime leaves enclosed in saran wrap.
>
> The dish came out great.

Sounds like the service was outstanding, too.

If you'd like to try the real essence of kaffir lime leaves, give this
recipe a shot. The measurments are per person far a meal-sized bowl.
Multiply by number of eaters:

http://tinyurl.com/yj38oyw

nb

Zeppo[_2_] 19-10-2009 03:44 PM

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Zeppo wrote:
>> So I decided to make a shrimp dish with coconut lemon and ginger for some
>> friends coming over tomorrow. The dish calls for 6 kaffir lime leaves. I
>> visited two Asian markets and called two others today and they are
>> nowhere to be found in my area.

> I'm interested in the recipe for the shrimp dish. Can you share it? It
> sounds lovely.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Hi Janet,
It was an Emeril recipe I found on Food Network. I was looking for something
to make to use some lemongrass I had picked up and chose this because I had
most of the ingredients on-hand. It came out pretty good. I cut the amount
of the sriracha sauce in half because of the audience I was playing to. It
was perfect for me but should have cut it in half again as it was still a
bit too intense for our friends (course they would have been happier with
something real bland any way. My fault for even choosing this dish for
them).

I also served this over cellophane noodles, which was just OK. I'm going to
try it over soba noodles or Jasmine rice next time.

See the link below....

http://tinyurl.com/yfvkyf5

Jon

Jean B.[_1_] 19-10-2009 04:16 PM

Zeppo wrote:

> "pbein" > wrote in message
>> On Oct 17, 1:48 pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
>>> So I decided to make a shrimp dish with coconut lemon and ginger for
>>> some
>>> friends coming over tomorrow. The dish calls for 6 kaffir lime leaves. I
>>> visited two Asian markets and called two others today and they are
>>> nowhere
>>> to be found in my area.
>>>
>>> What would be a good substitution? I've seen some stuff online that
>>> would
>>> point to using lime zest instead and some other articles that said
>>> that it
>>> wasn't a good replacement. Would I be better just leaving it out?
>>>
>>> The first market I visited, a Korean supermarket, said they haven't been
>>> able to get kaffir lime since last spring when FDA officials raided
>>> all the
>>> Asian groceries in the region and confiscated all the lime leaves. WTF?
>>>
>>> Jon

>> Hi Jon,
>> The zest of Lime works as agreat substitute for Kaffir leaves. The
>> aroma is almost identical.
>> Cheers

> Thanks, Pbein. I was going to go that way, but ended up sourcing some
> leaves after all.
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

You can buy a little tree in Burlington, Mass.

--
Jean B.

Zeppo[_2_] 19-10-2009 04:52 PM

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2009-10-19, Zeppo > wrote:
>
>> for the check, they were 6 lime leaves enclosed in saran wrap.
>>
>> The dish came out great.

> Sounds like the service was outstanding, too.
>
> If you'd like to try the real essence of kaffir lime leaves, give this
> recipe a shot. The measurments are per person far a meal-sized bowl.
> Multiply by number of eaters:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yj38oyw
>
> nb

Thanks, NB. I'll have to look at it when I get home. The 'websense' software
at work won't let me go there.

Regards,
Jon

Janet Wilder[_1_] 19-10-2009 06:25 PM

Zeppo wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Zeppo wrote:
>>> So I decided to make a shrimp dish with coconut lemon and ginger for
>>> some friends coming over tomorrow. The dish calls for 6 kaffir lime
>>> leaves. I visited two Asian markets and called two others today and
>>> they are nowhere to be found in my area.

>> I'm interested in the recipe for the shrimp dish. Can you share it? It
>> sounds lovely.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

> Hi Janet,
> It was an Emeril recipe I found on Food Network. I was looking for
> something to make to use some lemongrass I had picked up and chose this
> because I had most of the ingredients on-hand. It came out pretty good.
> I cut the amount of the sriracha sauce in half because of the audience I
> was playing to. It was perfect for me but should have cut it in half
> again as it was still a bit too intense for our friends (course they
> would have been happier with something real bland any way. My fault for
> even choosing this dish for them).
>
> I also served this over cellophane noodles, which was just OK. I'm going
> to try it over soba noodles or Jasmine rice next time.
>
> See the link below....
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yfvkyf5
>
> Jon

Thanks, Jon.

Omelet[_7_] 19-10-2009 07:31 PM

Kaffir Lime leaves substitution

In article >,
"Zeppo" > wrote:

> So I found some leaves after all.
>
> We met some friends Saturday night before a play to go to an Italian
> restaurant for dinner. Something happened with our reservation and they
> couldn't accommodate us. We walked across the street to a Thai/Vietnamese
> restaurant and were seated right away. I was BS'ing with the waiter for a
> few minutes before we ordered and asked him where they sourced their leaves.
> He said they had a few friends that grew them as a side business and
> supplied the Asian restaurants in the area. I asked if he might have an
> 'oversupply' and be able to help me with the shortage I was experiencing.
> Although he just laughed when I asked, when I opened the leatherette folder
> for the check, they were 6 lime leaves enclosed in saran wrap.
>
> The dish came out great.
>
> Jon

Sweet. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>

Subscribe:

blake murphy[_2_] 20-10-2009 07:46 PM

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:33:28 -0400, Zeppo wrote:

> So I found some leaves after all.
>
> We met some friends Saturday night before a play to go to an Italian
> restaurant for dinner. Something happened with our reservation and they
> couldn't accommodate us. We walked across the street to a Thai/Vietnamese
> restaurant and were seated right away. I was BS'ing with the waiter for a
> few minutes before we ordered and asked him where they sourced their leaves.
> He said they had a few friends that grew them as a side business and
> supplied the Asian restaurants in the area. I asked if he might have an
> 'oversupply' and be able to help me with the shortage I was experiencing.
> Although he just laughed when I asked, when I opened the leatherette folder
> for the check, they were 6 lime leaves enclosed in saran wrap.
>
> The dish came out great.
>
> Jon

how sweet!

i think the times i've seen them, they were frozen.

your pal,
blake

ChattyCathy 20-10-2009 07:51 PM

Zeppo wrote:

> So I found some leaves after all.
>
> We met some friends Saturday night before a play to go to an Italian
> restaurant for dinner. Something happened with our reservation and
> they couldn't accommodate us. We walked across the street to a
> Thai/Vietnamese restaurant and were seated right away. I was BS'ing
> with the waiter for a few minutes before we ordered and asked him
> where they sourced their leaves. He said they had a few friends that
> grew them as a side business and supplied the Asian restaurants in the
> area. I asked if he might have an 'oversupply' and be able to help me
> with the shortage I was experiencing. Although he just laughed when I
> asked, when I opened the leatherette folder for the check, they were 6
> lime leaves enclosed in saran wrap.
>
> The dish came out great.

How kewl is that?!! Now that's Great Service, IMO.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Michael Siemon 20-10-2009 08:22 PM

ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Zeppo wrote:
>
> > So I found some leaves after all.
> >
> > We met some friends Saturday night before a play to go to an Italian
> > restaurant for dinner. Something happened with our reservation and
> > they couldn't accommodate us. We walked across the street to a
> > Thai/Vietnamese restaurant and were seated right away. I was BS'ing
> > with the waiter for a few minutes before we ordered and asked him
> > where they sourced their leaves. He said they had a few friends that
> > grew them as a side business and supplied the Asian restaurants in the
> > area. I asked if he might have an 'oversupply' and be able to help me
> > with the shortage I was experiencing. Although he just laughed when I
> > asked, when I opened the leatherette folder for the check, they were 6
> > lime leaves enclosed in saran wrap.
> >
> > The dish came out great.

> How kewl is that?!! Now that's Great Service, IMO.

I had a similar experience with respect to lemongrass back in
NYC a dozen years ago or thereabouts -- I was getting ready for
a satay barbecue for cow-orkers and for some reason all the
places I could usually get lemongrass had none, or skimpy thin
stalks with nothing to them (there was even an article in the
Times about some heavy rains in Florida wiping out large parts
of the commercial crop). A few days before my event, we ate at
our favorite Thai place in Chelsea, and I asked the server where
they got theirs, and if I could purchase some -- as in Zeppo's
account, I was given 5 nice plump stalks as we got the bill for
our meal.

It's a really nice feeling.

Phred 22-10-2009 03:50 PM

Kaffir Lime leaves substitution

In article >, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>Zeppo wrote:
>
>> So I found some leaves after all.
>>
>> We met some friends Saturday night before a play to go to an Italian
>> restaurant for dinner. Something happened with our reservation and
>> they couldn't accommodate us. We walked across the street to a
>> Thai/Vietnamese restaurant and were seated right away. I was BS'ing
>> with the waiter for a few minutes before we ordered and asked him
>> where they sourced their leaves. He said they had a few friends that
>> grew them as a side business and supplied the Asian restaurants in the
>> area. I asked if he might have an 'oversupply' and be able to help me
>> with the shortage I was experiencing. Although he just laughed when I
>> asked, when I opened the leatherette folder for the check, they were 6
>> lime leaves enclosed in saran wrap.
>>
>> The dish came out great.

>How kewl is that?!! Now that's Great Service, IMO.

I hope the waiter got a good tip!

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID