Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A great find

Wow!

I was making meatballs for the freezer this morning and looking
for spices to add since most of my fresh herbs died off in the
cold weather we've had the past two weeks.

I opened a jar of Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle for the first time and
sniffed. Wow, what a wonderful aroma blend!

The label says "Sweet basil, Turkish Oregano, thyme and garlic".
I think the basil predominates but its flavor isn't overwhelming.

It will be terrific also sprinkled on cooked pasta with either
olive oil or butter. Wonderful on garlic bread, too, I bet.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in the Penzey's
company, or affiliation with any employee or owner.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 4:25*pm, Gloria P > wrote:

> I opened a jar of Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle for the first time and
> sniffed. *Wow, what a wonderful aroma blend!
>
> The label says *"Sweet basil, Turkish Oregano, thyme and garlic".
> I think the basil predominates but its flavor isn't overwhelming.

Hmm, I will have to mix up a small batch of this and try it. TY for
posting it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 1:25*pm, Gloria P > wrote:
> I opened a jar of Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle for the first time and
> sniffed. *Wow, what a wonderful aroma blend!
>
> The label says *"Sweet basil, Turkish Oregano, thyme and garlic".
> I think the basil predominates but its flavor isn't overwhelming.
>
> It will be terrific also sprinkled on cooked pasta with either
> olive oil or butter. *Wonderful on garlic bread, too, I bet.

Your other use ideas are good ones that will be an extra prize with
this, and here's another.
I like to make fresh buttermilk biscuits, either from Bisquick or from
scratch. I often add shredded sharp cheddar and a good amount of the
Penzeys Pasta Sprinkle, plus fresh ground black pepper to the dough.
These make very good go-alongs with either salads or soups & stews. I
bake up plenty when making them to share at work, so for nine cups of
dry mix, I add near two cups of cheddar, 1 Tbsp. of pepper and 1-fat
Tbsp. of the seasoning. Bake time is the same as without, and when
serving them at work I nuke a plate of two or three (uncut) for 30
seconds to then spread butter atop each. The Marines try sneaking
them for extras throughout the day, and my co-worker/girlfriend who
watches for the container not to empty too fast is a biscuit hiding
freak!
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 17:27:44 -0500, Becca > wrote:

>Last night I had pizza for dinner. It was a low carb pizza so there was
>no pizza crust, . Your seasoning blend would have tasted good on that
>pizza.

How did you make the pizza? I am trying to envision a pizza with no
crust....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> Wow!
>
> I was making meatballs for the freezer this morning and looking for
> spices to add since most of my fresh herbs died off in the cold
> weather we've had the past two weeks.
>
> I opened a jar of Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle for the first time and
> sniffed. Wow, what a wonderful aroma blend!
>
> The label says "Sweet basil, Turkish Oregano, thyme and garlic".
> I think the basil predominates but its flavor isn't overwhelming.
>
> It will be terrific also sprinkled on cooked pasta with either olive
> oil or butter. Wonderful on garlic bread, too, I bet.

Last night I had pizza for dinner. It was a low carb pizza so there was
no pizza crust, . Your seasoning blend would have tasted good on that
pizza.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 17:27:44 -0500, Becca > wrote:
>

>> Last night I had pizza for dinner. It was a low carb pizza so there was
>> no pizza crust, . Your seasoning blend would have tasted good on that
>> pizza.
>>

> How did you make the pizza? I am trying to envision a pizza with no
> crust....
>
> Christine

You have to eat this pizza with a fork. The pizza sauce goes into the
bottom of a pie plate, then you add the ingredients. I like peppers,
onions, olives, pepperoni, mozzarella and seasonings. You bake the
pizza until the cheese starts to turn brown. When you cut the pizza with
a fork, the sauce somehow adheres to the toppings leaving a clean pan
behind. I haven't figured out how that works, yet. lol Being able to
have this, makes me not miss pizzas at all.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Gloria P > wrote:

> Wow!
>
> I was making meatballs for the freezer this morning and looking
> for spices to add since most of my fresh herbs died off in the
> cold weather we've had the past two weeks.
>
> I opened a jar of Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle for the first time and
> sniffed. Wow, what a wonderful aroma blend!
>
> The label says "Sweet basil, Turkish Oregano, thyme and garlic".
> I think the basil predominates but its flavor isn't overwhelming.
>
> It will be terrific also sprinkled on cooked pasta with either
> olive oil or butter. Wonderful on garlic bread, too, I bet.
>
> Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in the Penzey's
> company, or affiliation with any employee or owner.
>
> gloria p

Sounds tasty!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> Wow!
>
> I was making meatballs for the freezer this morning and looking for
> spices to add since most of my fresh herbs died off in the cold weather
> we've had the past two weeks.
>
> I opened a jar of Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle for the first time and
> sniffed. Wow, what a wonderful aroma blend!
>
> The label says "Sweet basil, Turkish Oregano, thyme and garlic".
> I think the basil predominates but its flavor isn't overwhelming.
>
> It will be terrific also sprinkled on cooked pasta with either olive oil
> or butter. Wonderful on garlic bread, too, I bet.
>
> Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in the Penzey's company, or
> affiliation with any employee or owner.
>
> gloria p

I think that combo would be good on a number of things... I'm surprised
they bottled it under "Pasta Sprinkle". They could have done a better
job, and made it appeal to other meals.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> Gloria P wrote:
> >

> > Wow!
> >
> > I was making meatballs for the freezer this morning and looking for
> > spices to add since most of my fresh herbs died off in the cold
> > weather we've had the past two weeks.
> >
> > I opened a jar of Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle for the first time and
> > sniffed. Wow, what a wonderful aroma blend!
> >
> > The label says "Sweet basil, Turkish Oregano, thyme and garlic".
> > I think the basil predominates but its flavor isn't overwhelming.
> >
> > It will be terrific also sprinkled on cooked pasta with either olive
> > oil or butter. Wonderful on garlic bread, too, I bet.

> Last night I had pizza for dinner. It was a low carb pizza so there was
> no pizza crust, . Your seasoning blend would have tasted good on that
> pizza.
>

> Becca

How did you make it Becca?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> Christine Dabney wrote:
> > On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 17:27:44 -0500, Becca > wrote:
> >

> >> Last night I had pizza for dinner. It was a low carb pizza so there was
> >> no pizza crust, . Your seasoning blend would have tasted good on that
> >> pizza.
> >>

> > How did you make the pizza? I am trying to envision a pizza with no
> > crust....
> >
> > Christine
> >

> You have to eat this pizza with a fork. The pizza sauce goes into the
> bottom of a pie plate, then you add the ingredients. I like peppers,
> onions, olives, pepperoni, mozzarella and seasonings. You bake the
> pizza until the cheese starts to turn brown. When you cut the pizza with
> a fork, the sauce somehow adheres to the toppings leaving a clean pan
> behind. I haven't figured out how that works, yet. lol Being able to
> have this, makes me not miss pizzas at all.
>

> Becca

Disregard my last post. :-)
Sounds good!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ravenlynne wrote:
> Becca scribbled on the wall in permanent marker:
>

>> You have to eat this pizza with a fork. The pizza sauce goes into
>> the bottom of a pie plate, then you add the ingredients. I like
>> peppers, onions, olives, pepperoni, mozzarella and seasonings. You
>> bake the pizza until the cheese starts to turn brown. When you cut
>> the pizza with a fork, the sauce somehow adheres to the toppings
>> leaving a clean pan behind. I haven't figured out how that works,
>> yet. lol Being able to have this, makes me not miss pizzas at all.
>>

>> Becca
>>

> Sounds interesting! Is there a recipe?

There is no recipe, really, you just make it just like you would make
any pizza, just leaving out the crust. My husband is gluten intolerant
and I am low-carbing it, so pizza without the crust works well for the
both of us.

Becca