Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 20th anniversary eats (long)

The SO and I have shared a lot of laughs and good food over the years.
Last night he took me to Canlis for our anniversary. Canlis is one of
the best restaurants in Seattle. It's perched somewhat precariously on
the side of Queen Anne Hill overlooking Lake Union. Both of us ordered
the tasting menu. The items and our comments are below.

A shot of pumpkin soup with vanilla, pumpkin seeds and micro-kale (i.e.,
kale sprout)--very tasty. The vanilla didn't overwhelm the other
ingredients.

Osetra caviar with cauliflower, apple, and couscous--I've never been
much of a caviar fan, but this wasn't bad. The pickled Granny Smith
apple and apple sorbet were good.

Hamachi with wasabi, radish, and yuzu vinaigrette--A pretty raw fish
presentation. Slices of hamachi were formed into a disk, overlapping
radish slices were arranged on top, and drizzled with the vinaigrette.
A tiny dab of fresh wasabi was arranged alongside. It was not
overpowering.

Poussin--This was the dish I liked least. The white meat seemed steamed
and undercooked. The dark meat and perigourdine sauce were good,
however.

Venison--Julian was disappointed by this dish. He said there was too
much going on on the plate. A cylinder of tenderloin (?) sat atop a
bacon, peanut, and sweet potato concoction. A thin slice of bacon was
perched atop the venison. I prefer more straightforward treatments of
venison (as in my infamous Rosemary's Bambi), but this dish grew on me.

Coconut tapioca pudding--I think this was my favorite. The pearls of
tapioca were cooked separately from the coconut creme Anglaise sauce.
Pineapple and passionfruit puree finished off the dish.

Carrot cake with golden raisins, rum, and orange sorbet--The cake was
nice and moist. The sorbet was excellent.

Cheap dates that we are, we nursed a half bottle of Oregon pinot noir
throughout dinner. I had a pot of Mariage Freres Earl Grey tea with the
carrot cake. It was very good, unlike many of my tea experiences in
Seattle. Julian was underwhelmed by the coffee. It's nice to know
there's at least one restaurant in town that doesn't diss tea drinkers.

The service was attentive, almost to the point of fawning. However, I
can be fawned over every so often. All in all, a very special
anniversary. With luck, it won't be 20 years before we return.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller > wrote in
216.pools.spcsdns.net:

> The SO and I have shared a lot of laughs and good food over the years.
> Last night he took me to Canlis for our anniversary. Canlis is one of
> the best restaurants in Seattle. It's perched somewhat precariously

on
> the side of Queen Anne Hill overlooking Lake Union. Both of us

ordered
> the tasting menu. The items and our comments are below.
>
> A shot of pumpkin soup with vanilla, pumpkin seeds and micro-kale

(i.e.,
> kale sprout)--very tasty. The vanilla didn't overwhelm the other
> ingredients.
>
> Osetra caviar

YUM!!!!!!

What colour did you have??

The Osetra ranges from warm brown to green-gray in color, to dark blue
to jet black or even white. And there is a Golden Osetra, very rare.

> Coconut tapioca pudding--I think this was my favorite. The pearls of
> tapioca were cooked separately from the coconut creme Anglaise sauce.
> Pineapple and passionfruit puree finished off the dish.
>
> Carrot cake with golden raisins, rum, and orange sorbet--The cake was
> nice and moist. The sorbet was excellent.

All the food sounds great, but I do like the two desserts!! Especially
the carrot cake!!

Congrats on your 20 years :-)

Peter (16th anniversary next month :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:

> The service was attentive, almost to the point of fawning. However, I
> can be fawned over every so often. All in all, a very special
> anniversary. With luck, it won't be 20 years before we return.
>
> Cindy

Happy anniversary, it sounds like you chose a wonderful restaurant to
celebrate. I would not have been pleased with the poussin either, I
like my chicken cooked.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:
> The SO and I have shared a lot of laughs and good food over the years.
> Last night he took me to Canlis for our anniversary. Canlis is one of
> the best restaurants in Seattle. It's perched somewhat precariously on
> the side of Queen Anne Hill overlooking Lake Union. Both of us ordered
> the tasting menu. The items and our comments are below.
>
> A shot of pumpkin soup with vanilla, pumpkin seeds and micro-kale (i.e.,
> kale sprout)--very tasty. The vanilla didn't overwhelm the other
> ingredients.
>
> Osetra caviar with cauliflower, apple, and couscous--I've never been
> much of a caviar fan, but this wasn't bad. The pickled Granny Smith
> apple and apple sorbet were good.
>
> Hamachi with wasabi, radish, and yuzu vinaigrette--A pretty raw fish
> presentation. Slices of hamachi were formed into a disk, overlapping
> radish slices were arranged on top, and drizzled with the vinaigrette.
> A tiny dab of fresh wasabi was arranged alongside. It was not
> overpowering.
>
> Poussin--This was the dish I liked least. The white meat seemed steamed
> and undercooked. The dark meat and perigourdine sauce were good,
> however.
>
> Venison--Julian was disappointed by this dish. He said there was too
> much going on on the plate. A cylinder of tenderloin (?) sat atop a
> bacon, peanut, and sweet potato concoction. A thin slice of bacon was
> perched atop the venison. I prefer more straightforward treatments of
> venison (as in my infamous Rosemary's Bambi), but this dish grew on me.
>
> Coconut tapioca pudding--I think this was my favorite. The pearls of
> tapioca were cooked separately from the coconut creme Anglaise sauce.
> Pineapple and passionfruit puree finished off the dish.
>
> Carrot cake with golden raisins, rum, and orange sorbet--The cake was
> nice and moist. The sorbet was excellent.
>
> Cheap dates that we are, we nursed a half bottle of Oregon pinot noir
> throughout dinner. I had a pot of Mariage Freres Earl Grey tea with the
> carrot cake. It was very good, unlike many of my tea experiences in
> Seattle. Julian was underwhelmed by the coffee. It's nice to know
> there's at least one restaurant in town that doesn't diss tea drinkers.
>
> The service was attentive, almost to the point of fawning. However, I
> can be fawned over every so often. All in all, a very special
> anniversary. With luck, it won't be 20 years before we return.
>
> Cindy

Congratulations! (I used to love tasting menus....)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 22:32:00 -0700, Cindy Fuller wrote:

> The SO and I have shared a lot of laughs and good food over the years.
> Last night he took me to Canlis for our anniversary. Canlis is one of
> the best restaurants in Seattle. It's perched somewhat precariously on
> the side of Queen Anne Hill overlooking Lake Union. Both of us ordered
> the tasting menu. The items and our comments are below.
>
> A shot of pumpkin soup with vanilla, pumpkin seeds and micro-kale (i.e.,
> kale sprout)--very tasty. The vanilla didn't overwhelm the other
> ingredients.
>
> Osetra caviar with cauliflower, apple, and couscous--I've never been
> much of a caviar fan, but this wasn't bad. The pickled Granny Smith
> apple and apple sorbet were good.
>
> Hamachi with wasabi, radish, and yuzu vinaigrette--A pretty raw fish
> presentation. Slices of hamachi were formed into a disk, overlapping
> radish slices were arranged on top, and drizzled with the vinaigrette.
> A tiny dab of fresh wasabi was arranged alongside. It was not
> overpowering.

i had to google 'Hamachi.' i don't think i've seen it anywhere, but it
sounds tasty.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller > wrote in message
> The SO and I have shared a lot of laughs and good food over the years.
> Last night he took me to Canlis for our anniversary. Canlis is one of
> the best restaurants in Seattle. It's perched somewhat precariously on
> the side of Queen Anne Hill overlooking Lake Union. Both of us ordered
> the tasting menu. The items and our comments are below.
>
> A shot of pumpkin soup with vanilla, pumpkin seeds and micro-kale (i.e.,
> kale sprout)--very tasty. The vanilla didn't overwhelm the other
> ingredients.
>
> Osetra caviar with cauliflower, apple, and couscous--I've never been
> much of a caviar fan, but this wasn't bad. The pickled Granny Smith
> apple and apple sorbet were good.
>
> Hamachi with wasabi, radish, and yuzu vinaigrette--A pretty raw fish
> presentation. Slices of hamachi were formed into a disk, overlapping
> radish slices were arranged on top, and drizzled with the vinaigrette.
> A tiny dab of fresh wasabi was arranged alongside. It was not
> overpowering.
>
> Poussin--This was the dish I liked least. The white meat seemed steamed
> and undercooked. The dark meat and perigourdine sauce were good,
> however.
>
> Venison--Julian was disappointed by this dish. He said there was too
> much going on on the plate. A cylinder of tenderloin (?) sat atop a
> bacon, peanut, and sweet potato concoction. A thin slice of bacon was
> perched atop the venison. I prefer more straightforward treatments of
> venison (as in my infamous Rosemary's Bambi), but this dish grew on me.
>
> Coconut tapioca pudding--I think this was my favorite. The pearls of
> tapioca were cooked separately from the coconut creme Anglaise sauce.
> Pineapple and passionfruit puree finished off the dish.
>
> Carrot cake with golden raisins, rum, and orange sorbet--The cake was
> nice and moist. The sorbet was excellent.
>
> Cheap dates that we are, we nursed a half bottle of Oregon pinot noir
> throughout dinner. I had a pot of Mariage Freres Earl Grey tea with the
> carrot cake. It was very good, unlike many of my tea experiences in
> Seattle. Julian was underwhelmed by the coffee. It's nice to know
> there's at least one restaurant in town that doesn't diss tea drinkers.
>
> The service was attentive, almost to the point of fawning. However, I
> can be fawned over every so often. All in all, a very special
> anniversary. With luck, it won't be 20 years before we return.
>
> Cindy

Nice; very nice. Thanks for the review. And I'll look for that 40th Report,
too.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 22:32:00 -0700, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

> With luck, it won't be 20 years before we return.

Congratulations on reaching the 20 year mark!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
PeterL2 > wrote:

> What colour did you have??
>
> The Osetra ranges from warm brown to green-gray in color, to dark blue
> to jet black or even white. And there is a Golden Osetra, very rare.

Lighting was rather dim, but it looked black.

I thought the Canlis carrot cake was a hit. Each serving was a small
cyclindrical double layer cake with a thick "frosting" that seemed to
have the consistentcy and flavor of a light cheesecake. Sort of a
cake-within-a-cake. The presetation was on the usual oversized plate,
with dots and scrawls of colored fruit sauces, herb sprigs, and a small
scoop of sorbet.

One of these days I'm going to have some fun when its my turn to run the
neighborhood BBQ. I'll serve mini-cheeseburgers, on huge plates that
were pre-painted with artful swirls of kethcup. The mini-burgers wikle
be topped with slices of velveeta that are folded into origami swans,
with sprigs of parlsey to represent lakeside vegetation, sliced spanish
olives for lily pads, capers for frogs, etc. Maybe I can make the cover
of Bon Appetit. Or Mad Magazine.

[ so says the infamous SO ]

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article

,
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> Venison--Julian was disappointed by this dish. He said there was too
> much going on on the plate. A cylinder of tenderloin (?) sat atop a
> bacon, peanut, and sweet potato concoction. A thin slice of bacon was
> perched atop the venison. I prefer more straightforward treatments of
> venison (as in my infamous Rosemary's Bambi), but this dish grew on me.

This is the part I envy. Here in MO, restaurants are not allowed to
carry venison.

Sounds like it was a great meal. Congrats.

jt