Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe - Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookies - Gold Medal Flour recipe
Recipe By: General Mills

Yield: About 6 dozen cookies

1-1/2 cups butter or maragarine softened
1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (I used kosher; could have used a little more)
4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups coarsely chopped nuts, optional

Heat oven to 350°F.

In large bowl beat butter, sugars, vanilla and eggs on medium speed or
with spoon until light and fluffy. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt
(dough will be stiff). Stir in chocolate chips.

On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by tablespoofuls or #40 cookie/ice
cream scoop 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly.

BAke 11-13 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft). Cool
1-2 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.

Notes: Gold Medal flour bag 2-8-2008. Made 10-13-2009. Almost more
chocolate chips than dough. Pecan halves, toasted and broken. 1 cup
Crisco, 1/2 cup butter (sosumi; I had my reason). Next time a little
almond extract, too.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
On Oct 14, 11:22 pm, Wayne Boatwright
snip
- I always use real butter - I can't handle that oily mouth feel
of Crisco or oleo.
And I always add more chocolate chunks than the
recipe calls for. These freeze really well in food-vacuum bags, but
otherwise should be eaten within two days (store in an air-tight
container).

snip recipe
I've never tried oleo, but when I have tried Crisco, I thought that it made
the cookies extremely crisp and dry feeling. Did you experience anything
similar?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 14, 11:22*pm, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
> On Wed 14 Oct 2009 08:41:33p, Melba's Jammin' told us...
>

> > Chocolate Chip Cookies - Gold Medal Flour recipe
> > Recipe By: *General Mills

> > Yield: About 6 dozen cookies

> > 1-1/2 cups butter or maragarine softened
> > 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
> > 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
> > 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
> > 2 eggs
> > 4 cups all purpose flour
> > 2 teaspoons baking soda
> > 1/2 teaspoon salt (I used kosher; could have used a little more)
> > 4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
> > 2 cups coarsely chopped nuts, optional

> > Heat oven to 350°F.

> > In large bowl beat butter, sugars, vanilla and eggs on medium speed or
> > with spoon until light and fluffy. *Stir in flour, baking soda and salt
> > (dough will be stiff). *Stir in chocolate chips.

> > On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by tablespoofuls or #40 cookie/ice
> > cream scoop 2 inches apart. *Flatten slightly.

> > BAke 11-13 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft). *Cool
> > 1-2 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.

> > Notes: * *Gold Medal flour bag 2-8-2008. *Made 10-13-2009. *Almost more
> > chocolate chips than dough. *Pecan halves, toasted and broken. *1 cup
> > Crisco, 1/2 cup butter (sosumi; I had my reason). *Next time a little
> > almond extract, too.

> Good recipe, Barb. *My mom almost always used mostly Crisco in her CCC.

Yeah, Crisco is definitely a musty old lady thing. No decent person
would use that crap these days.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 9:41*am, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message

> On Oct 14, 11:22 pm, Wayne Boatwright
> snip
> *- I always use real butter - I can't handle that oily mouth feel
> of Crisco or oleo.
> *And I always add more chocolate chunks than the
> recipe calls for. *These freeze really well in food-vacuum bags, but
> otherwise should be eaten within two days (store in an air-tight
> container).
>
> snip recipe
> I've never tried oleo, but when I have tried Crisco, I thought that it made
> the cookies extremely crisp and dry feeling. *Did you experience anything
> similar?
> Janet

I've never used Crisco, only eaten other people's --- I find oleo
keeps the cookies softer than butter does - but it isn't worth it, to
me. I just tuck them in the freezer. (My 5-year-old grandson told me
the other day that they were "running out of" cookies from my
freezer. LOL)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
On Oct 15, 9:41 am, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message

> On Oct 14, 11:22 pm, Wayne Boatwright
> snip
> - I always use real butter - I can't handle that oily mouth feel
> of Crisco or oleo.
> And I always add more chocolate chunks than the
> recipe calls for. These freeze really well in food-vacuum bags, but
> otherwise should be eaten within two days (store in an air-tight
> container).
>
> snip recipe
> I've never tried oleo, but when I have tried Crisco, I thought that it
> made
> the cookies extremely crisp and dry feeling. Did you experience anything
> similar?
> Janet

I've never used Crisco, only eaten other people's --- I find oleo
keeps the cookies softer than butter does - but it isn't worth it, to
me. I just tuck them in the freezer. (My 5-year-old grandson told me
the other day that they were "running out of" cookies from my
freezer. LOL)

N.

I tried it when I was working my way through Corriher's "Cookwise" baking
section. I wanted to understand the ins and outs of substitutions -- and I
was trying to manipulate a chocolate chip cookie according to what she said
about ingredients. Very interesting.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alton Brown (on the FoodTV website) has recipes for a variety of
chocolate chip cookies (i.e. crisp/chewy/soft) from a long-ago
broadcast.

He talks (of course!) about what makes the difference in texture.
It was quite interesting.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message

> Alton Brown (on the FoodTV website) has recipes for a variety of chocolate
> chip cookies (i.e. crisp/chewy/soft) from a long-ago
> broadcast.
>
> He talks (of course!) about what makes the difference in texture.
> It was quite interesting.
>
> gloria p

Yes, I've seen that show and found it interesting as well. Until I read
Corriher (some years ago), I hadn't realized that each ingredient could
change the outcome so much. And that we at home could tinker with a purpose
in mind. My husband and I got sick of chocolate chip cookies that year 'o}
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> snip recipe
> I've never tried oleo, but when I have tried Crisco, I thought that it made
> the cookies extremely crisp and dry feeling. Did you experience anything
> similar?

You may have cracked the mystery of why my mom's Toll House Cookies were
extremely crisp, dry feeling and thin on the edges. I've puzzled over it
for years, although "some guy" suggested I substitute Crisco years ago.
Maybe "some guy" was right. I'll try it. I loved my mom's cookies with
big chunks of walnuts in them. They soaked up milk like a champ and were
pale and dry to the touch.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>
>> snip recipe
>> I've never tried oleo, but when I have tried Crisco, I thought that it
>> made
>> the cookies extremely crisp and dry feeling. Did you experience anything
>> similar?

> You may have cracked the mystery of why my mom's Toll House Cookies were
> extremely crisp, dry feeling and thin on the edges. I've puzzled over it
> for years, although "some guy" suggested I substitute Crisco years ago.
> Maybe "some guy" was right. I'll try it. I loved my mom's cookies with
> big chunks of walnuts in them. They soaked up milk like a champ and were
> pale and dry to the touch.
>
> leo

The 'pale' part sounds right. The Crisco doesn't brown the same as butter.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
On Oct 15, 9:41 am, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
snip

> snip recipe
> I've never tried oleo, but when I have tried Crisco, I thought that it
> made
> the cookies extremely crisp and dry feeling. Did you experience anything
> similar?
> Janet

I've never used Crisco, only eaten other people's --- I find oleo
keeps the cookies softer than butter does - but it isn't worth it, to
me. I just tuck them in the freezer. (My 5-year-old grandson told me
the other day that they were "running out of" cookies from my
freezer. LOL)

N.
Better get crackin' then. . .nothing worse than a grandson looking for
cookies and none to be found 'o}
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> The 'pale' part sounds right. The Crisco doesn't brown the same as butter.
> Janet

I've always been too cheap to sacrifice a batch of dough for this
experiment. Until now! I see the black monolith!

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>
>> The 'pale' part sounds right. The Crisco doesn't brown the same as
>> butter.
>> Janet

> I've always been too cheap to sacrifice a batch of dough for this
> experiment. Until now! I see the black monolith!
>
> leo

I can almost hear that music in the background. If you can pick up a copy
of Shirley Corriher's "Cookwise" at the library, do so. It isn't a tedious
read and you may get further hints about what your mother did.
Janet