Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oh-so-precious question about finishing salts

"Arri London" > wrote in message
> The chemist in me doesn't think salt *crystallised* out of anything
> alcoholic would work. NaCl doesn't really dissolve in alcohol, but it
> would dissolve to some extent (couldn't say how much) in the water part
> of the port. However, when recrystallising it would tend to exclude
> atoms that don't fit in the lattice spacing...that's how such things are
> cleaned/purified in the first place. Redissolve and recrystallise until
> the desired purity is reached.

Sounds logical, but. . . . .

Curing salts are made by dissolving salt, along with the nitrate and nitrite
and red dye and is recrystalized. Maybe the molecular structure of each
makes them combine easier?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> > The chemist in me doesn't think salt *crystallised* out of anything
> > alcoholic would work. NaCl doesn't really dissolve in alcohol, but it
> > would dissolve to some extent (couldn't say how much) in the water part
> > of the port. However, when recrystallising it would tend to exclude
> > atoms that don't fit in the lattice spacing...that's how such things are
> > cleaned/purified in the first place. Redissolve and recrystallise until
> > the desired purity is reached.

> Sounds logical, but. . . . .
>
> Curing salts are made by dissolving salt, along with the nitrate and nitrite
> and red dye and is recrystalized. Maybe the molecular structure of each
> makes them combine easier?

The nitrate/nitrite fits, while the Na atoms would of course fit. Is the
dye crystallised *with* the salts though? It might be added after, as
with coloured sugars.

Not certain where the dye molecules would end up without seeing a
crystal structure; they are larger. However, is possible to
cocrystallise things that shouldn't fit together. That is a talent I
never had, despite having a PhD from a department of crystallography.
LOL they should take back my certificate!