Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oh-so-precious question about finishing salts

Kathleen wrote:

> I told him, no, not really, that the ocean tastes like all sorts of
> things. Fish, algae, fuel spills, stuff that washes into the water from
> the land. And, yeah, salt. I asked if he'd ever swum in river or lake
> water, and of course he had, and I told him, well, it's like that only
> salty.

You know the distinctive smell of the ocean?
I was once at the beach, I got a whiff of that
smell which was really strong, much stronger
than ever before. I looked around, and it
was coming from a dead seagull.

The smell of the ocean is what rotting flesh
smells like when it rots in sal****er.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Kathleen wrote:
>
>>I told him, no, not really, that the ocean tastes like all sorts of
>>things. Fish, algae, fuel spills, stuff that washes into the water from
>>the land. And, yeah, salt. I asked if he'd ever swum in river or lake
>>water, and of course he had, and I told him, well, it's like that only
>>salty.

> You know the distinctive smell of the ocean?
> I was once at the beach, I got a whiff of that
> smell which was really strong, much stronger
> than ever before. I looked around, and it
> was coming from a dead seagull.
>
> The smell of the ocean is what rotting flesh
> smells like when it rots in sal****er.

Well, that's certainly part of it.

Certain smells shoot straight up your nose and into your memory.
Crayons. Suntan lotion. Tomato plants.

I was talking to a young couple from Australia and they were asking how
Mexico compared to Spain. And I told them the first thing you notice
when you get off the plane is the smell. Mexico smacks you in the nose.
Get off the plane in Madrid and you could be in almost any large city
in the US.

They wanted to know what Mexico smelled like and I had to think about it
for a minute. Told them it was a combination of things. Smoke from
people burning any old thing for cooking fuel, highly spiced food,
engine emmissions from old cars, inadequate plumbing, unfamiliar
vegetation, tobacco, and depending on where you land, sometimes the ocean.

My dad was in the navy in the late 50s and said you could smell Italy
from 5 miles off shore, for most of the same reasons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:

> Certain smells shoot straight up your nose and into your memory.
> Crayons. Suntan lotion. Tomato plants.
>
> I was talking to a young couple from Australia and they were asking how
> Mexico compared to Spain. And I told them the first thing you notice
> when you get off the plane is the smell. Mexico smacks you in the nose.
> Get off the plane in Madrid and you could be in almost any large city
> in the US.
>
> They wanted to know what Mexico smelled like and I had to think about it
> for a minute. Told them it was a combination of things. Smoke from
> people burning any old thing for cooking fuel, highly spiced food,
> engine emmissions from old cars, inadequate plumbing, unfamiliar
> vegetation, tobacco, and depending on where you land, sometimes the ocean.
>
> My dad was in the navy in the late 50s and said you could smell Italy
> from 5 miles off shore, for most of the same reasons.

When I think of Spain, the memory of walking through the streets of
Madrid amid the constant aroma of strong, freshly roasted coffee comes
to mind.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 1, 12:40*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> The smell of the ocean is what rotting flesh
> smells like when it rots in sal****er.

All I know is that when I get less than a quarter mile from the ocean
my danged sinuses clear up!

Also . . . why would one choose port (sweet?) instead of something
like Burgundy or cognac or lemon or habanero? I'm thinking of things
to flavor the salt for the rims of Margarita glasses.
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn wrote:

> Also . . . why would one choose port (sweet?) instead of something like
> Burgundy or cognac or lemon or habanero? I'm thinking of things to flavor
> the salt for the rims of Margarita glasses.

In this particular case, the port-infused salt (if the process works) is
going to be used as a final sprinkle on blue-cheese beignets. It's just an
experiment.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 10:40:52 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:

> Kathleen wrote:
>>
>> I told him, no, not really, that the ocean tastes like all sorts of
>> things. Fish, algae, fuel spills, stuff that washes into the water from
>> the land. And, yeah, salt. I asked if he'd ever swum in river or lake
>> water, and of course he had, and I told him, well, it's like that only
>> salty.

> You know the distinctive smell of the ocean?
> I was once at the beach, I got a whiff of that
> smell which was really strong, much stronger
> than ever before. I looked around, and it
> was coming from a dead seagull.
>
> The smell of the ocean is what rotting flesh
> smells like when it rots in sal****er.

you must be a lot of fun at parties.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 19:02:51 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Lynn wrote:
>
>> Also . . . why would one choose port (sweet?) instead of something like
>> Burgundy or cognac or lemon or habanero? I'm thinking of things to flavor
>> the salt for the rims of Margarita glasses.

> In this particular case, the port-infused salt (if the process works) is
> going to be used as a final sprinkle on blue-cheese beignets. It's just an
> experiment.
>
> Bob

it just sounds im[ausible to me from a chemical/physical standpoint.
wouldn't you end up with some dried port and some salt commingled
physically but not 'infused.'

but i'm an english major, so what the **** do i know. maybe you're on the
verge of discovering penicillin.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> Kathleen wrote:
>

>> Certain smells shoot straight up your nose and into your memory.
>> Crayons. Suntan lotion. Tomato plants.
>>
>> I was talking to a young couple from Australia and they were asking
>> how Mexico compared to Spain. And I told them the first thing you
>> notice when you get off the plane is the smell. Mexico smacks you in
>> the nose. Get off the plane in Madrid and you could be in almost any
>> large city in the US.
>>
>> They wanted to know what Mexico smelled like and I had to think about
>> it for a minute. Told them it was a combination of things. Smoke
>> from people burning any old thing for cooking fuel, highly spiced
>> food, engine emmissions from old cars, inadequate plumbing, unfamiliar
>> vegetation, tobacco, and depending on where you land, sometimes the
>> ocean.
>>
>> My dad was in the navy in the late 50s and said you could smell Italy
>> from 5 miles off shore, for most of the same reasons.
>>

> When I think of Spain, the memory of walking through the streets of
> Madrid amid the constant aroma of strong, freshly roasted coffee comes
> to mind.

Oh lord yes. Cafe con leche, served in those little glasses, like you
see at the beginning of this video (which has nothing to do with Spain,
btw).

Warning, major ear worm...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_2gW3zwMMQ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Gloria P wrote:
>> Kathleen wrote:
>>

>>> I was talking to a young couple from Australia and they were asking
>>> how Mexico compared to Spain. And I told them the first thing you
>>> notice when you get off the plane is the smell. Mexico smacks you in
>>> the nose.
>>>
>>> They wanted to know what Mexico smelled like and I had to think about
>>> it for a minute. Told them it was a combination of things. Smoke
>>> from people burning any old thing for cooking fuel, highly spiced
>>> food, engine emmissions from old cars, inadequate plumbing, unfamiliar
>>> vegetation, tobacco, and depending on where you land, sometimes the
>>> ocean.
>>>
>>> My dad was in the navy in the late 50s and said you could smell Italy
>>> from 5 miles off shore, for most of the same reasons.

By the '60s you could smell Italy from 10 miles off shore... nowadays
you can smell a dago all the way to Bensonhurst. LOL LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN_6nRja-ZA