Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default red pepper flakes

i'm talking about the kind of thing you see in pizza parlors. anyhow, the
last two times i've bought them, they turned out to have no zip at all.
(the first time was a goya product, which disappointed me because normally
i find their stuff to be reliable. the second was an off-brand you see in
drug stores sometimes for 99 cents for a little a plastic jar, so i guess i
should have expected to be unburned by them.)

for some reason i haven't seen the flakes the last two times i was at an
asian market, which is where i usually buy them, not wanting to pay the
three-dollars plus that i recall mccormick wants for them for a much
smaller quanatity.

but i do have a bag of dried arbol peppers

<http://www.mexgrocer.com/9660.html>

....and i was thinking i would give them a brief spin in my coffee/spice
grinder after topping them and shaking out what seeds readily shake out.

has anyone done this? i also have a mini-food processor, but i'm not sure
it would be brutal enough. i did this once with a dried chipoltle pepper,
and it worked pretty well, but there's a greater flesh-to-seed ratio there.

i would welcome your thoughts.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
. ..
> i'm talking about the kind of thing you see in pizza parlors. anyhow, the
> last two times i've bought them, they turned out to have no zip at all.
> (the first time was a goya product, which disappointed me because normally
> i find their stuff to be reliable. the second was an off-brand you see in
> drug stores sometimes for 99 cents for a little a plastic jar, so i guess
> should have expected to be unburned by them.)
>
> for some reason i haven't seen the flakes the last two times i was at an
> asian market, which is where i usually buy them, not wanting to pay the
> three-dollars plus that i recall mccormick wants for them for a much
> smaller quanatity.
>
> but i do have a bag of dried arbol peppers
>
> <http://www.mexgrocer.com/9660.html>
>
> ...and i was thinking i would give them a brief spin in my coffee/spice
> grinder after topping them and shaking out what seeds readily shake out.
>
> has anyone done this? i also have a mini-food processor, but i'm not sure
> it would be brutal enough. i did this once with a dried chipoltle
> pepper,
> and it worked pretty well, but there's a greater flesh-to-seed ratio
> there.
>
> i would welcome your thoughts.
>
> your pal,
> blake

try this:
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...redpepper.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 28, 4:49*pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> i'm talking about the kind of thing you see in pizza parlors. *anyhow, the
> last two times i've bought them, they turned out to have no zip at all. *
> (the first time was a goya product, which disappointed me because normally
> i find their stuff to be reliable. *the second was an off-brand you see in
> drug stores sometimes for 99 cents for a little a plastic jar, so i guess i
> should have expected to be unburned by them.)
>
> for some reason i haven't seen the flakes the last two times i was at an
> asian market, which is where i usually buy them, not wanting to pay the
> three-dollars plus that i recall mccormick wants for them for a much
> smaller quanatity.
>
> but i do have a bag of dried arbol peppers
>
> <http://www.mexgrocer.com/9660.html>
>
> ...and i was thinking i would give them a brief spin in my coffee/spice
> grinder after topping them and shaking out what seeds readily shake out.
>
> has anyone done this? *i also have a mini-food processor, but i'm not sure
> it would be brutal enough. * i did this once with a dried chipoltle pepper,
> and it worked pretty well, but there's a greater flesh-to-seed ratio there. *
>
> i would welcome your thoughts.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I've noticed that the old pimentum weether (that's what Emeril calls
it) doesn't have the bang it used to and it takes a lot more of it
these days to make a sauce or a pizza spicy. I never tried anything to
liven it up though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> ...and i was thinking i would give them a brief spin in my coffee/spice
> grinder after topping them and shaking out what seeds readily shake out.

If I go to that much trouble, then I also impale them
on a bamboo skewer and roast them over my stovetop.
I usually do three at a time, spinning the skewer
between my fingers so they are uniformly roasted.

I really like Santaka and Arbol peppers this way.
A great way to eat them is by wrapping a pepper
a thin slice of salami around them. If you do
it quickly while they're still warm, they'll heat
up the salami and melt a little of the fat, which
makes it even better. If you do that, then roast
them one at a time.

After the skewer has been used for many peppers,
it becomes impregnated with capsaicin. It's nice
to roll over your lips and tongue. If you're married,
you can surprise somebody that way.

> has anyone done this? i also have a mini-food processor, but i'm not sure
> it would be brutal enough. i did this once with a dried chipoltle pepper,
> and it worked pretty well, but there's a greater flesh-to-seed ratio there.
>
> i would welcome your thoughts.

After roasting, they're brittle enough to be crushed
to a powder between fingers. If you want flakes,
I'd suggest using a scissors to cut them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 28, 5:49*pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> i'm talking about the kind of thing you see in pizza parlors. *anyhow, the
> last two times i've bought them, they turned out to have no zip at all. *
> (the first time was a goya product, which disappointed me because normally
> i find their stuff to be reliable. *the second was an off-brand you see in
> drug stores sometimes for 99 cents for a little a plastic jar, so i guess i
> should have expected to be unburned by them.)
>
> for some reason i haven't seen the flakes the last two times i was at an
> asian market, which is where i usually buy them, not wanting to pay the
> three-dollars plus that i recall mccormick wants for them for a much
> smaller quanatity.
>
> but i do have a bag of dried arbol peppers
>
> <http://www.mexgrocer.com/9660.html>
>
> ...and i was thinking i would give them a brief spin in my coffee/spice
> grinder after topping them and shaking out what seeds readily shake out.
>
> has anyone done this? *i also have a mini-food processor, but i'm not sure
> it would be brutal enough. * i did this once with a dried chipoltle pepper,
> and it worked pretty well, but there's a greater flesh-to-seed ratio there. *

I ground some tiny, dried red peppers in a coffee grinder - it was
much hotter than what I had on hand as cayenne.

I also use the coffee grinder for reducing black peppercorns to a fine
powder. Did this after I read about what else might be in the store
bought ground black pepper.

Own two coffee grinders, one for coffee beans, one for spices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:49:26 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>i'm talking about the kind of thing you see in pizza parlors. anyhow, the
>last two times i've bought them, they turned out to have no zip at all.
>(the first time was a goya product, which disappointed me because normally
>i find their stuff to be reliable. the second was an off-brand you see in
>drug stores sometimes for 99 cents for a little a plastic jar, so i guess i
>should have expected to be unburned by them.)
>
>for some reason i haven't seen the flakes the last two times i was at an
>asian market, which is where i usually buy them, not wanting to pay the
>three-dollars plus that i recall mccormick wants for them for a much
>smaller quanatity.
>
>but i do have a bag of dried arbol peppers
>
><http://www.mexgrocer.com/9660.html>
>
>...and i was thinking i would give them a brief spin in my coffee/spice
>grinder after topping them and shaking out what seeds readily shake out.
>
>has anyone done this? i also have a mini-food processor, but i'm not sure
>it would be brutal enough. i did this once with a dried chipoltle pepper,
>and it worked pretty well, but there's a greater flesh-to-seed ratio there.
>
>i would welcome your thoughts.

In my experience arbols are hotter than the crushed red stuff, even
when it's fresh. You might look for chiles japones in a Mexican
market. They're nicely spicy and usually quite inexpensive.

Not sure why the Mexicans call them Japanese peppers. As far as I know
the peppers are raised on this continent. I've speculated in the past
that its a cultivar the Japanese developed some time back and it got
re imported to the Americas. Such things have been known to happen.
But I have no documentation to support that notion.

Sometimes japones are labeled "Jap" peppers. Apparently that's not an
ethnic slur, but an abbreviation.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> i'm talking about the kind of thing you see in pizza parlors. anyhow, the
> last two times i've bought them, they turned out to have no zip at all.
> (the first time was a goya product, which disappointed me because normally
> i find their stuff to be reliable. the second was an off-brand you see in
> drug stores sometimes for 99 cents for a little a plastic jar, so i guess i
> should have expected to be unburned by them.)
>
> for some reason i haven't seen the flakes the last two times i was at an
> asian market, which is where i usually buy them, not wanting to pay the
> three-dollars plus that i recall mccormick wants for them for a much
> smaller quanatity.
>
> but i do have a bag of dried arbol peppers
>
> <http://www.mexgrocer.com/9660.html>
>
> ...and i was thinking i would give them a brief spin in my coffee/spice
> grinder after topping them and shaking out what seeds readily shake out.
>
> has anyone done this? i also have a mini-food processor, but i'm not sure
> it would be brutal enough. i did this once with a dried chipoltle pepper,
> and it worked pretty well, but there's a greater flesh-to-seed ratio there.
>
> i would welcome your thoughts.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Crush them with a rolling pin rather than putting them through the FP.
If they are too finely ground, the flavour disappears rapidly. Takes
only a minute or two if the chiles are really dry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> but i do have a bag of dried arbol peppers
>
> <http://www.mexgrocer.com/9660.html>
>
> ...and i was thinking i would give them a brief spin in my coffee/spice
> grinder after topping them and shaking out what seeds readily shake out.

If your arbols are quite fresh they'll be pretty hot when ground.
I keep dried pequins in the freezer for Chinese cooking and they stay
hot a long time.

I find baggies of ground dried chiles in the same area where you
probably got those. They usually have two or three varieties varying in
heat. If grinding your own doesn't work try the Mexican aisle again.
They are really inexpensive compared to the regular spice aisle.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher Helms wrote:

> I've noticed that the old pimentum weether (that's what Emeril calls
> it) doesn't have the bang it used to and it takes a lot more of it
> these days to make a sauce or a pizza spicy. I never tried anything to
> liven it up though.

Nope. He calls it "pimenta moida" (mo-WEE-da) which is Portuguese
for ground pepper. Real pimenta moida is bottled, ground hot red
peppers in a vinegar and salt brine. Supermarkets in heavily Portuguese
immigrant areas carry a number of brands.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:49:26 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>i'm talking about the kind of thing you see in pizza parlors. anyhow, the
>last two times i've bought them, they turned out to have no zip at all.
>(the first time was a goya product, which disappointed me because normally
>i find their stuff to be reliable. the second was an off-brand you see in
>drug stores sometimes for 99 cents for a little a plastic jar, so i guess i
>should have expected to be unburned by them.)
>
>for some reason i haven't seen the flakes the last two times i was at an
>asian market, which is where i usually buy them, not wanting to pay the
>three-dollars plus that i recall mccormick wants for them for a much
>smaller quanatity.
>
>but i do have a bag of dried arbol peppers
>
><http://www.mexgrocer.com/9660.html>
>
>...and i was thinking i would give them a brief spin in my coffee/spice
>grinder after topping them and shaking out what seeds readily shake out.
>
>has anyone done this? i also have a mini-food processor, but i'm not sure
>it would be brutal enough. i did this once with a dried chipoltle pepper,
>and it worked pretty well, but there's a greater flesh-to-seed ratio there.
>
>i would welcome your thoughts.

According to Penzeys the flakes you're looking for have 20,000
scoville units. Arbols have 35,000 units so you might be a bit on the
hot side. Penzeys has a hotter crushed offering at 40,000 units but
they say it's "almost" too hot for sprinkling on a prepared dish.
They don't say what type peppers they use but I'd assume it's a blend
with the hot version stronger on cayenne. According to wiki the pizza
parlor version is a blend of cayenne, bell, and ancho. One could
control the heat and flavor that way.

The arbols are cheap so I'd try a bit and see what you think. I do
think it will have a different flavor than what you get at a pizza
parlor. All that matters is if YOU like it.

Also check out your dollar stores. I see it there all the time. A
buck will set you up for years. I've also noticed some of the home
centers have a limited selection of spices in the grill area at decent
prices.

I love peppers. Louise came home with a bag of Ramiro peppers
yesterday. I was wondering WTF I was going to do with them. Now I
think I'll dehydrate a few and try my own pepper flake blend.

Thanks for the post blake.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:28:45 -0400, Kswck wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> i'm talking about the kind of thing you see in pizza parlors. anyhow, the
>> last two times i've bought them, they turned out to have no zip at all.
>> (the first time was a goya product, which disappointed me because normally
>> i find their stuff to be reliable. the second was an off-brand you see in
>> drug stores sometimes for 99 cents for a little a plastic jar, so i guess
>> should have expected to be unburned by them.)
>>

> try this:
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...redpepper.html

that's a good thought, but the local store is not terribly convenient to
me, and postage would negate any savings. but it may come to that.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:34:08 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>>
>> ...and i was thinking i would give them a brief spin in my coffee/spice
>> grinder after topping them and shaking out what seeds readily shake out.

> If I go to that much trouble, then I also impale them
> on a bamboo skewer and roast them over my stovetop.
> I usually do three at a time, spinning the skewer
> between my fingers so they are uniformly roasted.
>
> I really like Santaka and Arbol peppers this way.
> A great way to eat them is by wrapping a pepper
> a thin slice of salami around them. If you do
> it quickly while they're still warm, they'll heat
> up the salami and melt a little of the fat, which
> makes it even better. If you do that, then roast
> them one at a time.
>
> After the skewer has been used for many peppers,
> it becomes impregnated with capsaicin. It's nice
> to roll over your lips and tongue. If you're married,
> you can surprise somebody that way.
>
>> has anyone done this? i also have a mini-food processor, but i'm not sure
>> it would be brutal enough. i did this once with a dried chipoltle pepper,
>> and it worked pretty well, but there's a greater flesh-to-seed ratio there.
>>
>> i would welcome your thoughts.

> After roasting, they're brittle enough to be crushed
> to a powder between fingers. If you want flakes,
> I'd suggest using a scissors to cut them.

i did also think about just taking a cleaver to them, but the spice grinder
seemed easier.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 19:03:20 -0500, modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:49:26 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>i'm talking about the kind of thing you see in pizza parlors. anyhow, the
>>last two times i've bought them, they turned out to have no zip at all.
>>(the first time was a goya product, which disappointed me because normally
>>i find their stuff to be reliable. the second was an off-brand you see in
>>drug stores sometimes for 99 cents for a little a plastic jar, so i guess i
>>should have expected to be unburned by them.)
>>
>>for some reason i haven't seen the flakes the last two times i was at an
>>asian market, which is where i usually buy them, not wanting to pay the
>>three-dollars plus that i recall mccormick wants for them for a much
>>smaller quanatity.
>>
>>but i do have a bag of dried arbol peppers
>>
>><http://www.mexgrocer.com/9660.html>
>>
>>...and i was thinking i would give them a brief spin in my coffee/spice
>>grinder after topping them and shaking out what seeds readily shake out.
>>
>>has anyone done this? i also have a mini-food processor, but i'm not sure
>>it would be brutal enough. i did this once with a dried chipoltle pepper,
>>and it worked pretty well, but there's a greater flesh-to-seed ratio there.
>>
>>i would welcome your thoughts.
>>

> In my experience arbols are hotter than the crushed red stuff, even
> when it's fresh. You might look for chiles japones in a Mexican
> market. They're nicely spicy and usually quite inexpensive.
>
> Not sure why the Mexicans call them Japanese peppers. As far as I know
> the peppers are raised on this continent. I've speculated in the past
> that its a cultivar the Japanese developed some time back and it got
> re imported to the Americas. Such things have been known to happen.
> But I have no documentation to support that notion.
>
> Sometimes japones are labeled "Jap" peppers. Apparently that's not an
> ethnic slur, but an abbreviation.

i do see the japones in the whole foods store, and, i think, in my regular
grocery. i'll give it some thought.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:49:54 -0600, Arri London wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>>
>> i'm talking about the kind of thing you see in pizza parlors. anyhow, the
>> last two times i've bought them, they turned out to have no zip at all.
>> (the first time was a goya product, which disappointed me because normally
>> i find their stuff to be reliable. the second was an off-brand you see in
>> drug stores sometimes for 99 cents for a little a plastic jar, so i guess i
>> should have expected to be unburned by them.)
>>
>> for some reason i haven't seen the flakes the last two times i was at an
>> asian market, which is where i usually buy them, not wanting to pay the
>> three-dollars plus that i recall mccormick wants for them for a much
>> smaller quanatity.
>>
>> but i do have a bag of dried arbol peppers
>>
>> <http://www.mexgrocer.com/9660.html>
>>
>> ...and i was thinking i would give them a brief spin in my coffee/spice
>> grinder after topping them and shaking out what seeds readily shake out.
>>
>> has anyone done this? i also have a mini-food processor, but i'm not sure
>> it would be brutal enough. i did this once with a dried chipoltle pepper,
>> and it worked pretty well, but there's a greater flesh-to-seed ratio there.
>>
>> i would welcome your thoughts.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Crush them with a rolling pin rather than putting them through the FP.
> If they are too finely ground, the flavour disappears rapidly. Takes
> only a minute or two if the chiles are really dry.

the state of dryness of these peppers suggests that i'd just end up with
flat peppers.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:11:16 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:49:26 -0400, blake murphy wrote:
>
>> i'm talking about the kind of thing you see in pizza parlors. anyhow, the
>> last two times i've bought them, they turned out to have no zip at all.
>> (the first time was a goya product, which disappointed me because normally
>> i find their stuff to be reliable. the second was an off-brand you see in
>> drug stores sometimes for 99 cents for a little a plastic jar, so i guess i
>> should have expected to be unburned by them.)
>>
>> for some reason i haven't seen the flakes the last two times i was at an
>> asian market, which is where i usually buy them, not wanting to pay the
>> three-dollars plus that i recall mccormick wants for them for a much
>> smaller quanatity.
>>
>> but i do have a bag of dried arbol peppers
>>
>> <http://www.mexgrocer.com/9660.html>
>>
>> ...and i was thinking i would give them a brief spin in my coffee/spice
>> grinder after topping them and shaking out what seeds readily shake out.
>>
>> has anyone done this? i also have a mini-food processor, but i'm not sure
>> it would be brutal enough. i did this once with a dried chipoltle pepper,
>> and it worked pretty well, but there's a greater flesh-to-seed ratio there.
>>
>> i would welcome your thoughts.

> I grind peppers all the time. It works fine, provided the peppers
> haven't been sitting around for a decade or they loose their punch.
> I don't worry about the seeds still left inside after beheading.
> Unfortunately a lot of the membrane also comes out, and that's where
> the heat is.
>
> The arbol peppers are very thin-skinned and produce an uneven grind.
> I always shake my grinder when doing things like this to get a more
> even grind.
>
> -sw

this is the kind of tip i was looking for. thanks, steve.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 06:10:49 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:49:26 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>i'm talking about the kind of thing you see in pizza parlors. anyhow, the
>>last two times i've bought them, they turned out to have no zip at all.
>>(the first time was a goya product, which disappointed me because normally
>>i find their stuff to be reliable. the second was an off-brand you see in
>>drug stores sometimes for 99 cents for a little a plastic jar, so i guess i
>>should have expected to be unburned by them.)
>>
>>for some reason i haven't seen the flakes the last two times i was at an
>>asian market, which is where i usually buy them, not wanting to pay the
>>three-dollars plus that i recall mccormick wants for them for a much
>>smaller quanatity.
>>
>>but i do have a bag of dried arbol peppers
>>
>><http://www.mexgrocer.com/9660.html>
>>
>>...and i was thinking i would give them a brief spin in my coffee/spice
>>grinder after topping them and shaking out what seeds readily shake out.
>>
>>has anyone done this? i also have a mini-food processor, but i'm not sure
>>it would be brutal enough. i did this once with a dried chipoltle pepper,
>>and it worked pretty well, but there's a greater flesh-to-seed ratio there.
>>
>>i would welcome your thoughts.

> According to Penzeys the flakes you're looking for have 20,000
> scoville units. Arbols have 35,000 units so you might be a bit on the
> hot side. Penzeys has a hotter crushed offering at 40,000 units but
> they say it's "almost" too hot for sprinkling on a prepared dish.

well, i don't usually use them in that manner. the embarrassing part that
i left out is that i *twice* made a szechuan spicy beef dish that fell flat
due to lack of heat. the peppers in it are slightly browned. (i've been
meaning to type up this recipe and post it anyway; i will under a separate
heading. the result is a jerky-like product that keeps for three weeks in
the refrigerator.)

> They don't say what type peppers they use but I'd assume it's a blend
> with the hot version stronger on cayenne. According to wiki the pizza
> parlor version is a blend of cayenne, bell, and ancho. One could
> control the heat and flavor that way.
>
> The arbols are cheap so I'd try a bit and see what you think. I do
> think it will have a different flavor than what you get at a pizza
> parlor. All that matters is if YOU like it.
>
> Also check out your dollar stores. I see it there all the time. A
> buck will set you up for years. I've also noticed some of the home
> centers have a limited selection of spices in the grill area at decent
> prices.

i'd be afraid there that they might be stale, like my drug store bottle.

> I love peppers. Louise came home with a bag of Ramiro peppers
> yesterday. I was wondering WTF I was going to do with them. Now I
> think I'll dehydrate a few and try my own pepper flake blend.

at least they're cheaper to experiment with than, say, truffles.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:53:04 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia wrote:

> On Sep 28, 5:49*pm, blake murphy > wrote:
>> i'm talking about the kind of thing you see in pizza parlors. *anyhow, the
>> last two times i've bought them, they turned out to have no zip at all. *
>> (the first time was a goya product, which disappointed me because normally
>> i find their stuff to be reliable. *the second was an off-brand you see in
>> drug stores sometimes for 99 cents for a little a plastic jar, so i guess i
>> should have expected to be unburned by them.)
>>
>> for some reason i haven't seen the flakes the last two times i was at an
>> asian market, which is where i usually buy them, not wanting to pay the
>> three-dollars plus that i recall mccormick wants for them for a much
>> smaller quanatity.
>>
>> but i do have a bag of dried arbol peppers
>>
>> <http://www.mexgrocer.com/9660.html>
>>
>> ...and i was thinking i would give them a brief spin in my coffee/spice
>> grinder after topping them and shaking out what seeds readily shake out.
>>
>> has anyone done this? *i also have a mini-food processor, but i'm not sure
>> it would be brutal enough. * i did this once with a dried chipoltle pepper,
>> and it worked pretty well, but there's a greater flesh-to-seed ratio there. *

> I ground some tiny, dried red peppers in a coffee grinder - it was
> much hotter than what I had on hand as cayenne.
>
> I also use the coffee grinder for reducing black peppercorns to a fine
> powder. Did this after I read about what else might be in the store
> bought ground black pepper.
>
> Own two coffee grinders, one for coffee beans, one for spices.

the grinder i have is used 95% of the time for black pepper. no coffee.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:49:54 -0600, Arri London wrote:
>
> > blake murphy wrote:
> >>
> >> i'm talking about the kind of thing you see in pizza parlors. anyhow, the
> >> last two times i've bought them, they turned out to have no zip at all.
> >> (the first time was a goya product, which disappointed me because normally
> >> i find their stuff to be reliable. the second was an off-brand you see in
> >> drug stores sometimes for 99 cents for a little a plastic jar, so i guess i
> >> should have expected to be unburned by them.)
> >>
> >> for some reason i haven't seen the flakes the last two times i was at an
> >> asian market, which is where i usually buy them, not wanting to pay the
> >> three-dollars plus that i recall mccormick wants for them for a much
> >> smaller quanatity.
> >>
> >> but i do have a bag of dried arbol peppers
> >>
> >> <http://www.mexgrocer.com/9660.html>
> >>
> >> ...and i was thinking i would give them a brief spin in my coffee/spice
> >> grinder after topping them and shaking out what seeds readily shake out.
> >>
> >> has anyone done this? i also have a mini-food processor, but i'm not sure
> >> it would be brutal enough. i did this once with a dried chipoltle pepper,
> >> and it worked pretty well, but there's a greater flesh-to-seed ratio there.
> >>
> >> i would welcome your thoughts.
> >>
> >> your pal,
> >> blake

> > Crush them with a rolling pin rather than putting them through the FP.
> > If they are too finely ground, the flavour disappears rapidly. Takes
> > only a minute or two if the chiles are really dry.

> the state of dryness of these peppers suggests that i'd just end up with
> flat peppers.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Then they might benefit from further drying. Obviously around here in
the desert, dry chiles are *really* dry, so crush very nicely. However
we do run some chiles through the coffee/spice grinder to powder them,
after removing the seeds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote:

>> Crush them with a rolling pin rather than putting them through the FP.
>> If they are too finely ground, the flavour disappears rapidly. Takes
>> only a minute or two if the chiles are really dry.

> the state of dryness of these peppers suggests that i'd just end up with
> flat peppers.

Do you have a large enough quantity to feed through a meat grinder?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> blake wrote:
>
>>> Crush them with a rolling pin rather than putting them through the FP.
>>> If they are too finely ground, the flavour disappears rapidly. Takes
>>> only a minute or two if the chiles are really dry.

>> the state of dryness of these peppers suggests that i'd just end up with
>> flat peppers.

> Do you have a large enough quantity to feed through a meat grinder?
>
> Bob

If they are dry enough, wouldn't it work to put one or more in a
zip-lock bag and crush with a rolling pin or mallet?

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

>If they are dry enough, wouldn't it work to put one or more in a
>zip-lock bag and crush with a rolling pin or mallet?

That'll work... whatever you do don't try to crush hot peppers in a
way that the dust can escape into the room... ask how I know. Even
in a sealed zip-loc it's best to do the entire operation outdoors,
especially pouring the crushed peppers into a container... and take
note of wind direction.

This probably the best tool for crushing hot peppers:
http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In.../dp/B0007ZEU2W

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria replied:

>>> the state of dryness of these peppers suggests that i'd just end up with
>>> flat peppers.

>> Do you have a large enough quantity to feed through a meat grinder?
>>

> If they are dry enough, wouldn't it work to put one or more in a zip-lock
> bag and crush with a rolling pin or mallet?

From what blake wrote about getting "flat peppers" I inferred that they're
still a bit flexible.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 19:18:52 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> blake wrote:
>
>>> Crush them with a rolling pin rather than putting them through the FP.
>>> If they are too finely ground, the flavour disappears rapidly. Takes
>>> only a minute or two if the chiles are really dry.

>> the state of dryness of these peppers suggests that i'd just end up with
>> flat peppers.

> Do you have a large enough quantity to feed through a meat grinder?
>
> Bob

no meat grinder. besides, the crushed peppers are something a use a couple
teaspoons of at a time.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" ha scritto nel messaggio

>>> the state of dryness of these peppers suggests that i'd just end up
>>> with>>> flat peppers.

>> Do you have a large enough quantity to feed through a meat grinder?
>>
>> Bob

> no meat grinder. besides, the crushed peppers are something a use a
> couple> teaspoons of at a time.

I pulse them in the mini FP. No problems. I often use them whole, though.

Habanero Pepper Flakes John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 2 11-01-2016 06:34 PM
De-seeding red pepper flakes? Felice General Cooking 32 19-10-2009 10:47 AM
HELP - Need Dried Bell Pepper Flakes Mark Williams General Cooking 9 07-12-2006 12:34 AM
Fish 'n Flakes Duckie ® Recipes 0 16-10-2005 06:28 PM
Red pepper flakes, de-seeded Felice Friese General Cooking 10 14-06-2005 01:41 PM