Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Are oysters an aphrodisiac?

For discussion
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 09:47:48 -0700 (PDT), Pits09
> wrote:

>For discussion

Not a very good one..... I recently ate 2 dozen,
but only 19 of them worked. <G>

Seriously, they have long been considered a sexual
enhancer, but it seems to be due to a high level
of phosphorus, which helps to make adenosine
mono and tri phosphate, necessary for human
energy metabolism, including sexual function. The
stimulation of desire you have to seek elsewjere,
like maybe yohimbine.

HTH

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pits09 said...

> For discussion

The idea IS highly suggestive but I doubt it.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Pits09 > wrote:

> For discussion

Maybe.

If you can get raw oysters down, that might be a sign that you can
ingest other things by mouth.

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker wrote on Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:53:29 -0500:

>> For discussion

> Not a very good one..... I recently ate 2 dozen,
> but only 19 of them worked. <G>

> Seriously, they have long been considered a sexual
> enhancer, but it seems to be due to a high level
> of phosphorus, which helps to make adenosine
> mono and tri phosphate, necessary for human
> energy metabolism, including sexual function. The
> stimulation of desire you have to seek elsewjere,
> like maybe yohimbine.

The Romans considered lettuce an aphrodisiac too!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 25, 11:47�am, Pits09 > wrote:
> For discussion

Well, if you think they are.... then they are...

Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Told my MIL that one time. Had to explain what aphrodisiac meant. LOL

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 25, 10:19*am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *Chemiker *wrote *on Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:53:29 -0500:
>
> >> For discussion

> > Not a very good one..... I recently ate 2 dozen,
> > but only 19 of them worked. <G>
> > Seriously, they have long been considered a sexual
> > enhancer, but it seems to be due to a high level
> > of phosphorus, which helps to make adenosine
> > mono and tri phosphate, necessary for human
> > energy metabolism, including sexual function. The
> > stimulation of desire you have to seek elsewjere,
> > like maybe yohimbine.

> The Romans considered lettuce an aphrodisiac too!
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

hmmm..an oyster & lettuce salad.....I'm getting horny just thinking
about it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemiker" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 09:47:48 -0700 (PDT), Pits09
> > wrote:
>
>>For discussion

> Not a very good one..... I recently ate 2 dozen,
> but only 19 of them worked. <G>
>
> Seriously, they have long been considered a sexual
> enhancer, but it seems to be due to a high level
> of phosphorus, which helps to make adenosine
> mono and tri phosphate, necessary for human
> energy metabolism, including sexual function. The
> stimulation of desire you have to seek elsewjere,
> like maybe yohimbine.
>
> HTH
>
> Alex

Slightly OT, but what is the biochemical effect of yohimbine? I've always
been curious about that.

Ed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dymphna wrote:
> Told my MIL that one time. Had to explain what aphrodisiac meant. LOL

There's an anecdote about Louis XV King of France who had a private, for
h is use only, harem, seraglio, house where he kept a number of women
for sex, near the palace of Versailles in the 1700's whose doctor warned
him not to use any aphrodisiacs.

Later, suffering from 'fatigue' his doctor warned him about too much sex
and Louis replied that he was told he would be fine if he did not use
aphrodisiacs, and his dr. said "as yes, but variety is the greatest
aphrodisiac of all."
--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote:

> The Romans considered lettuce an aphrodisiac too!

The Egyptians, not the Romans. In Greek and Roman medicine lettuce was
said to cause "bodily weakness" (thus in the Hippocratic text
_Regimen_), or, more bluntly, to be an antaphrodisiac:
Don't serve me _thridakinai_ at table, woman, or you will have
yourself to blame. In a lettuce bed, they say, once upon a time
the dead Adonis was laid to rest by Aphrodite. So it is food
for corpses.
(Quoting from _Food in the Ancient World from A to Z_ by Andrew Dalby.)
There are references to Horace, Pliny, Plutarch, Athenaeus, Palladius
and Anthimus.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pits09 wrote:
> For discussion

If you think they are, they are.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Pits09 > wrote:

> For discussion

Any good food can be an Aphrodisiac. Depends on preparation,
presentation, mood setting, and the couple involved. ;-)

There is an old saying tho':

"Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker".

<g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Pits09 > wrote:
>
> > For discussion

> Maybe.
>
> If you can get raw oysters down, that might be a sign that you can
> ingest other things by mouth.
>
> :-)

<snork> ;-D
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 25, 1:44*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Sep 25, 10:19*am, "James Silverton" >
> wrote:

> > > Not a very good one..... I recently ate 2 dozen,
> > > but only 19 of them worked. <G>
> > > Seriously, they have long been considered a sexual
> > > enhancer, but it seems to be due to a high level
> > > of phosphorus, which helps to make adenosine
> > > mono and tri phosphate, necessary for human
> > > energy metabolism, including sexual function. The
> > > stimulation of desire you have to seek elsewjere,
> > > like maybe yohimbine.

> > The Romans considered lettuce an aphrodisiac too!

> > --

> > James Silverton
> > Potomac, Maryland

> > Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

> hmmm..an oyster & lettuce salad.....I'm getting horny just thinking
> about it.

I got horny once. What a flippin' mess.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 25, 12:12*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Pits09 > wrote:
> > For discussion

> Maybe.
>
> If you can get raw oysters down, that might be a sign that you can
> ingest other things by mouth.
>
> :-)
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

OK Dan, I've always suspected that!
Lynn in Fargo
oyster stew not oyster raw!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 17:49:56 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
wrote:

> On Sep 25, 12:12*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>>
>> *Pits09 > wrote:
>>> For discussion

>> Maybe.
>>
>> If you can get raw oysters down, that might be a sign that you can
>> ingest other things by mouth.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> --
>> Dan Abel
>> Petaluma, California USA
>>

> OK Dan, I've always suspected that!
> Lynn in Fargo
> oyster stew not oyster raw!

i thought the scoop on 'oysters are an aphrodisiac' was due to their
alleged resemblance to ladyparts:

Many ancient people believed in the so-called "law of similarity,"
reasoning that an object resembling genitalia may possess sexual powers.
Ginseng, rhinoceros horn, and oysters are three classical examples.

<http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/06/02/16/are-oysters-really-aphrodisiacs.htm>

....like asparagus spears, etc. or maybe it's just that they are expensive.

your pal,
blake