Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sunda Breakfast

On Sep 20, 11:36*am, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
> Buttermilk Pecan Waffles served with a fresh peach and blackberry compote,
> along with thick smoked bacon.

Potato pancakes. Not latkes. Here's DH's method; sorry
there are no ingredients. He wings it, and I'm too busy cooking
the bacon to quantify it.

Put potato chunks, onion, and parsley in the blender. Add
enough water to enable the blender to chop the ingredents to
about the size of a grain of rice. Squeeze out water in a tea towel.

Make a regular pancake recipe minus the sugar and with a minimum
of milk. Add the potato mixture; the result should be a very stiff
batter.

Take a few tablespoons of the batter, mix with club soda
to form a batter more like regular pancake batter (or a bit thinner;
it's been so long since I've seen pancake batter I can't remember
what it was like).

Pour the batter into a ripping hot skillet with that has as much
oil/butter/bacon grease as you can force yourself to use.
In my case, that's a few tablespoons. The more grease you
use, the lacier are the edges of the pancake.

Spread the batter around to fill the skillet. Let it cook until it's
golden brown and delicious; flip over. Finish cooking the pancake
through. Serve with additional butter if you feel that's a good idea.
(I usually do.)

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
On Sep 20, 11:36 am, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
> Buttermilk Pecan Waffles served with a fresh peach and blackberry compote,
> along with thick smoked bacon.

Potato pancakes. Not latkes. Here's DH's method; sorry
there are no ingredients. He wings it, and I'm too busy cooking
the bacon to quantify it.

Put potato chunks, onion, and parsley in the blender. Add
enough water to enable the blender to chop the ingredents to
about the size of a grain of rice. Squeeze out water in a tea towel.

(snippage)

Potato pancakes in my world are made from adding an egg and some flour to
leftover mashed potatoes. Yours do sound a lot like latkes except you don't
shred the potatoes. Sounds like you pulverize them in the blender. I'm not
saying this is a bad thing, just different from what I grew up with.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.250...
> On Mon 21 Sep 2009 02:55:05p, jmcquown told us...
>
>> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
>> On Sep 20, 11:36 am, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>> Buttermilk Pecan Waffles served with a fresh peach and blackberry
>>> compote, along with thick smoked bacon.

>> Potato pancakes. Not latkes. Here's DH's method; sorry
>> there are no ingredients. He wings it, and I'm too busy cooking
>> the bacon to quantify it.
>>
>> Put potato chunks, onion, and parsley in the blender. Add
>> enough water to enable the blender to chop the ingredents to
>> about the size of a grain of rice. Squeeze out water in a tea towel.
>>
>> (snippage)
>>
>> Potato pancakes in my world are made from adding an egg and some flour
>> to leftover mashed potatoes. Yours do sound a lot like latkes except
>> you don't shred the potatoes. Sounds like you pulverize them in the
>> blender. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just different from what I
>> grew up with.
>>
>> Jill

> Jill, I grew up with the same type you did, but we called them potato
> patties. Mom also added a bit of grated or finely chopped onion.
>
> Anything made with shredded/grated raw potatoes were called potato
> pancakes. I didn't learn the name "latkes" until years later.

I didn't actually hear the term "latkes" until much later, either. When my
Scottish grandmother (and my mother) made the ones from leftover mashed
potatoes they called them pancakes. When my German grandmother made them
with shredded potatoes, she called them pancakes. LOL I usually add grated
onion and sometimes even garlic to the mashed potato ones. They're a lot
easier to make, IMHO... of course that was before the days of food
processors with shredder blades

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 21, 5:55*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

> On Sep 20, 11:36 am, Wayne Boatwright
>
> > wrote:
> > Buttermilk Pecan Waffles served with a fresh peach and blackberry compote,
> > along with thick smoked bacon.

> Potato pancakes. *Not latkes. *Here's DH's method; sorry
> there are no ingredients. *He wings it, and I'm too busy cooking
> the bacon to quantify it.
>
> Put potato chunks, onion, and parsley in the blender. *Add
> enough water to enable the blender to chop the ingredents to
> about the size of a grain of rice. *Squeeze out water in a tea towel.
>
> (snippage)
>
> Potato pancakes in my world are made from adding an egg and some flour to
> leftover mashed potatoes. *Yours do sound a lot like latkes except you don't
> shred the potatoes. *Sounds like you pulverize them in the blender. *I'm not
> saying this is a bad thing, just different from what I grew up with.
>
> Jill

Much more flour in DH's prep. They really are almost like pancakes
with
grated potato inside, but quite thin compared to your standard
flapjack.

I like latkes, too. I've had the leftover mashed potato thing, but I
didn't grow
up with it, and I'm not particularly fond of it. We have mashed
potatoes only
once or twice a year, and make very little use of the leftovers.

Cindy Hamilton