Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New lamb curry recipe try out

15 mils of Mustard seed oil three ounces of UNSALTED butter
2 Kgs s lamb, cubed
4 onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, crushed
2 green chillies, fine chopped 2 Large red Chillies (in the Zylex)
30 mils grated fresh ginger
15 ml turmeric
15-20 ml ground cumin
25 ground coriander
Bit of chilli powder
Bit of Paprika
Good grind with green & red peppercorns ( about 5 twists of the mill)
Two pinches of cooking salt salt
2 x440mil cans crushed tomatoes
350 ml coconut milk

Method
Heated the oil in a large pan till almost smoky then added the butter
browned the meat in small batches, removed from pan and put in warmed
metal dish .

Rolled in a little bit of dessicated coconut

Then cooked the onion, until near soft soft.
Added the garlic, chili, ginger, turmeric, cumin, coriander and chili
powder.
Keep stirring until it just heats .
Returned the coconut coated meat to the pan (looked like midget
lamingtons) and kept turning over until well coated with the spices.
Added in the tomatoes & some chopped capsicum and fresh beans fine chopped .
Simmer, covered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, let the meat go to JUST tender

Stirred in the coconut milk and simmered uncovered, for another 12
minutes, or until the sauce thickened slightly.

Tasted ok at end of cooking
now into containers leave in fridge overnight

freeze the rest
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phil..c wrote on Fri, 18 Sep 2009 00:27:22 +0800:

> Method
> Heated the oil in a large pan till almost smoky then added
> the butter browned the meat in small batches, removed from pan
> and put in warmed metal dish .

> Rolled in a little bit of dessicated coconut

> Then cooked the onion, until near soft soft.
> Added the garlic, chili, ginger, turmeric, cumin, coriander
> and chili powder.
> Keep stirring until it just heats .
> Returned the coconut coated meat to the pan (looked like
> midget lamingtons) and kept turning over until well coated
> with the spices. Added in the tomatoes & some chopped capsicum
> and fresh beans fine chopped . Simmer, covered, for 1 to 1 1/2
> hours, let the meat go to JUST tender

> Stirred in the coconut milk and simmered uncovered, for
> another 12 minutes, or until the sauce thickened slightly.

> Tasted ok at end of cooking
> now into containers leave in fridge overnight

I haven't tried that recipe but it looks quite good. However, 15 ml of
turmeric sounds like a lot and I can't see what effect the green and red
peppercorns will have. Incidentally, what's a "lamington"?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-09-17 09:27:22 -0700, "Phil..c" <invalid@invalid> said:

> 15 mils of Mustard seed oil three ounces of UNSALTED butter
> 2 Kgs s lamb, cubed
> 4 onions, chopped
> 5 cloves garlic, crushed
> 2 green chillies, fine chopped 2 Large red Chillies (in the Zylex)

Ah, what's a Zylex? My assumption is a food processor?

--

wintermute

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 17, 9:36*am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *Phil..c *wrote *on Fri, 18 Sep 2009 00:27:22 +0800:
>

> > Method
> > Heated the *oil in a large pan till almost smoky then added
> > the butter browned the meat in small batches, removed from pan
> > and put in warmed metal dish .
> > Rolled in a little bit of dessicated coconut
> > Then cooked the onion, until near soft soft.
> > Added the garlic, chili, ginger, turmeric, cumin, coriander
> > and chili powder.
> > Keep stirring until it just heats .
> > Returned the *coconut coated meat to the pan (looked like
> > midget lamingtons) *and kept turning over until well coated
> > with the spices. Added in the tomatoes & some chopped capsicum
> > and fresh beans fine chopped . Simmer, covered, for 1 to 1 1/2
> > hours, let the meat go to JUST tender
> > Stirred in the coconut milk and simmered uncovered, for
> > another 12 minutes, or until the sauce *thickened slightly.
> > Tasted ok *at end of cooking
> > now into * containers *leave in fridge overnight

> I haven't tried that recipe but it looks quite good. However, 15 ml of
> turmeric sounds like a lot and I can't see what effect the green and red
> peppercorns will have. Incidentally, what's a "lamington"?

Tumeric is available in powder *in most countries* and so that recipe
sure sounds weird.
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in news:h8toih$a6h$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> Incidentally, what's a "lamington"?

An ubiquitous Aussie delight :-)

http://tinyurl.com/mea7su

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby > wrote in
:

> On Sep 17, 9:36*am, "James Silverton" >
> wrote:

>> I haven't tried that recipe but it looks quite good. However, 15 ml
>> of turmeric sounds like a lot and I can't see what effect the green
>> and red peppercorns will have. Incidentally, what's a "lamington"?
>>

> Tumeric is available in powder *in most countries* and so that recipe
> sure sounds weird.
>> --

Turmeric is available in powder form in Australia (where the OP is) as well
and was undoubtedly used in powder form in the recipe. 15ml is a volume
measurement (3 teaspoons, or a US tablespoon) which is a very common way to
measure powdered spices. Would you think the recipe was weird if it said 3
teaspoons of turmeric?

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Core of my heart, my country! Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine she pays us back threefold.
My Country, Dorothea MacKellar, 1904

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in news:h8toih$a6h
:

> Incidentally, what's a "lamington"?

Delicious :-)

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Core of my heart, my country! Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine she pays us back threefold.
My Country, Dorothea MacKellar, 1904

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rhonda wrote on Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:08:26 GMT:

>> On Sep 17, 9:36 am, "James Silverton"
>> > wrote:

>>> I haven't tried that recipe but it looks quite good.
>>> However, 15 ml of turmeric sounds like a lot and I can't see
>>> what effect the green and red peppercorns will have.
>>> Incidentally, what's a "lamington"?
>>>

>> Tumeric is available in powder *in most countries* and so
>> that recipe sure sounds weird.
>>> --
>>>

> Turmeric is available in powder form in Australia (where the
> OP is) as well and was undoubtedly used in powder form in the
> recipe. 15ml is a volume measurement (3 teaspoons, or a US
> tablespoon) which is a very common way to measure powdered
> spices. Would you think the recipe was weird if it said 3
> teaspoons of turmeric?

I'm aware what 15 ml of turmeric would be like and I could measure it by
eye within a ml or so. It wasn't the units but the quantity that I was
wondering about. No-one's told me what a "lamington" is yet :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in
:

> Rhonda wrote on Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:08:26 GMT:
>
>>> On Sep 17, 9:36 am, "James Silverton"

>>> Tumeric is available in powder *in most countries* and so
>>> that recipe sure sounds weird.
>>>>

>> Turmeric is available in powder form in Australia (where the
>> OP is) as well and was undoubtedly used in powder form in the
>> recipe. 15ml is a volume measurement (3 teaspoons, or a US
>> tablespoon) which is a very common way to measure powdered
>> spices. Would you think the recipe was weird if it said 3
>> teaspoons of turmeric?

> I'm aware what 15 ml of turmeric would be like and I could measure it
> by eye within a ml or so. It wasn't the units but the quantity that I
> was wondering about. No-one's told me what a "lamington" is yet :-)

Sorry James - it looks like I cut an attribution. I wasn't replying to
you, but to Manda who said that the recipe sounded weird because
turmeric was available as a powder in most countries.

PeterL posted a link to google results on lamingtons, but since you
haven't seen it.

A lamington is a traditional Australian treat - a small cake. It's a
square of sponge cake that has been coated in a thin chocolate icing and
then rolled in desiccated coconut.

Sometimes they have a thin layer of cream or jam and cream in the
middle. I prefer the plain ones.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Core of my heart, my country! Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine she pays us back threefold.
My Country, Dorothea MacKellar, 1904

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rhonda Anderson > wrote in
. 5:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in
> :

>>> Turmeric is available in powder form in Australia (where the
>>> OP is) as well and was undoubtedly used in powder form in the
>>> recipe. 15ml is a volume measurement (3 teaspoons, or a US
>>> tablespoon) which is a very common way to measure powdered
>>> spices. Would you think the recipe was weird if it said 3
>>> teaspoons of turmeric?

>> I'm aware what 15 ml of turmeric would be like and I could measure it
>> by eye within a ml or so. It wasn't the units but the quantity that I
>> was wondering about. No-one's told me what a "lamington" is yet :-)
>>

> Sorry James - it looks like I cut an attribution. I wasn't replying to
> you, but to Manda who said that the recipe sounded weird because
> turmeric was available as a powder in most countries.
>
> PeterL posted a link to google results on lamingtons,

Which is also **very** easy to do oneself...........

One wonders why more people don't do it themselves??

http://tinyurl.com/mea7su

Lamingtons...... an Aussie delight.

I like 'em all. Pink, brown, with cream, or without.

Even had a couple with jam in the other day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rhonda Anderson wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote in news:h8toih$a6h
> :
>
>> Incidentally, what's a "lamington"?
>>

> Delicious :-)

If you like coconut. Not bad even if you don't.
;-)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 17, 1:46*pm, wintermute > wrote:
> On 2009-09-17 09:27:22 -0700, "Phil..c" <invalid@invalid> said:
>

> > 15 mils of Mustard seed oil three ounces of UNSALTED butter
> > 2 Kgs s lamb, cubed
> > 4 onions, chopped
> > 5 cloves garlic, crushed
> > 2 green chillies, *fine chopped *2 Large red Chillies (in the Zylex)

> Ah, what's a Zylex? My assumption is a food processor?

If not Phil' next concert may sound a bit strange

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL2 wrote on Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:46:34 GMT:

>> "James Silverton" > wrote in
>> :

>>> I'm aware what 15 ml of turmeric would be like and I could
>>> measure it by eye within a ml or so. It wasn't the units but
>>> the quantity that I was wondering about. No-one's told me
>>> what a "lamington" is yet :-)
>>>

>> Sorry James - it looks like I cut an attribution. I wasn't
>> replying to you, but to Manda who said that the recipe
>> sounded weird because turmeric was available as a powder in
>> most countries.
>>
>> PeterL posted a link to google results on lamingtons,

> Which is also **very** easy to do oneself...........

> One wonders why more people don't do it themselves??

> http://tinyurl.com/mea7su

> Lamingtons...... an Aussie delight.

> I like 'em all. Pink, brown, with cream, or without.

Sounds a bit like the individual sponge cakes coated in rapberry jam and
then coconut that I used to like growing up in Scotland. I've forgotten
what they were called. Incidentally, coconut and raspberry is one of
those remarkably good flavor combinations from different parts of the
world, like orange-chocolate or even sweetened chocolate :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Lamb stew curry cshenk General Cooking 4 28-02-2015 11:11 PM
Grilled Leg Of Lamb with Red Curry Marinade Reever2 Recipes (moderated) 0 26-03-2007 03:50 PM
Lamb and spinach curry.... Chatty Cathy General Cooking 10 10-07-2006 02:34 PM
Wine for a lamb korma curry? MB Wine 13 28-03-2006 02:19 PM
Sweet n Sour Lamb Curry [email protected] General Cooking 12 02-12-2005 03:48 PM