Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default here's a divine appetizer (and LC too)

Here is a divine appetizer, which I have had at a restaurant. (I
wonder how it might be in portobello mushrooms as an entree.) It
is essentially this:

Mix surimi/crab with spicy mayo (like that used in some sushi).
Use this to fill mushroom caps (not portobellos, bite-sized ones).
Sprinkle tops with a bit of cheese--type unknown. Might be
parmesan. It is sharp.
Bake or broil (not sure which) until the mushrooms are cooked, the
filling is hot, and the cheese is browned.

These are soooo good. I think I'll post this elsewhere to share
the delight of it all.
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Here is a divine appetizer, which I have had at a restaurant. (I wonder
> how it might be in portobello mushrooms as an entree.) It is
> essentially this:
>
> Mix surimi/crab with spicy mayo (like that used in some sushi). Use this
> to fill mushroom caps (not portobellos, bite-sized ones).
> Sprinkle tops with a bit of cheese--type unknown. Might be parmesan.
> It is sharp.
> Bake or broil (not sure which) until the mushrooms are cooked, the
> filling is hot, and the cheese is browned.
>
> These are soooo good. I think I'll post this elsewhere to share the
> delight of it all.

Wife makes these occasionally for parties. Canned crab meat works;
haven't tried surimi and probably won't. A decent Swiss cheese is what
she usually uses, and large button mushrooms. "Baby portabellos" might
be interesting.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Here is a divine appetizer, which I have had at a restaurant. (I
>> wonder how it might be in portobello mushrooms as an entree.) It is
>> essentially this:
>>
>> Mix surimi/crab with spicy mayo (like that used in some sushi). Use
>> this to fill mushroom caps (not portobellos, bite-sized ones).
>> Sprinkle tops with a bit of cheese--type unknown. Might be parmesan.
>> It is sharp.
>> Bake or broil (not sure which) until the mushrooms are cooked, the
>> filling is hot, and the cheese is browned.
>>
>> These are soooo good. I think I'll post this elsewhere to share the
>> delight of it all.

> Wife makes these occasionally for parties. Canned crab meat works;
> haven't tried surimi and probably won't. A decent Swiss cheese is what
> she usually uses, and large button mushrooms. "Baby portabellos" might
> be interesting.
>
> Bob

With spicy mayo? Oh! I am just so out of the loop. :-)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Here is a divine appetizer, which I have had at a restaurant. (I
> wonder how it might be in portobello mushrooms as an entree.) It
> is essentially this:
>
> Mix surimi/crab with spicy mayo (like that used in some sushi).
> Use this to fill mushroom caps (not portobellos, bite-sized ones).
> Sprinkle tops with a bit of cheese--type unknown. Might be
> parmesan. It is sharp.
> Bake or broil (not sure which) until the mushrooms are cooked, the
> filling is hot, and the cheese is browned.
>
> These are soooo good. I think I'll post this elsewhere to share
> the delight of it all.

Careful. Surimi is not low carb. :-(
I'd sub' chopped cocktail shrimp or real crab meat...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Jean B. wrote:
> > Here is a divine appetizer, which I have had at a restaurant. (I wonder
> > how it might be in portobello mushrooms as an entree.) It is
> > essentially this:
> >
> > Mix surimi/crab with spicy mayo (like that used in some sushi). Use this
> > to fill mushroom caps (not portobellos, bite-sized ones).
> > Sprinkle tops with a bit of cheese--type unknown. Might be parmesan.
> > It is sharp.
> > Bake or broil (not sure which) until the mushrooms are cooked, the
> > filling is hot, and the cheese is browned.
> >
> > These are soooo good. I think I'll post this elsewhere to share the
> > delight of it all.

> Wife makes these occasionally for parties. Canned crab meat works;
> haven't tried surimi and probably won't. A decent Swiss cheese is what
> she usually uses, and large button mushrooms. "Baby portabellos" might
> be interesting.
>
> Bob

Baby portabellos are wonderful!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Here is a divine appetizer, which I have had at a restaurant. (I
>> wonder how it might be in portobello mushrooms as an entree.) It
>> is essentially this:
>>
>> Mix surimi/crab with spicy mayo (like that used in some sushi).
>> Use this to fill mushroom caps (not portobellos, bite-sized ones).
>> Sprinkle tops with a bit of cheese--type unknown. Might be
>> parmesan. It is sharp.
>> Bake or broil (not sure which) until the mushrooms are cooked, the
>> filling is hot, and the cheese is browned.
>>
>> These are soooo good. I think I'll post this elsewhere to share
>> the delight of it all.

> Careful. Surimi is not low carb. :-(
> I'd sub' chopped cocktail shrimp or real crab meat...

Well, then, crab it is. Better too! Still, the idea is divine.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Jean B." > wrote:
> >
> >> Here is a divine appetizer, which I have had at a restaurant. (I
> >> wonder how it might be in portobello mushrooms as an entree.) It
> >> is essentially this:
> >>
> >> Mix surimi/crab with spicy mayo (like that used in some sushi).
> >> Use this to fill mushroom caps (not portobellos, bite-sized ones).
> >> Sprinkle tops with a bit of cheese--type unknown. Might be
> >> parmesan. It is sharp.
> >> Bake or broil (not sure which) until the mushrooms are cooked, the
> >> filling is hot, and the cheese is browned.
> >>
> >> These are soooo good. I think I'll post this elsewhere to share
> >> the delight of it all.

> > Careful. Surimi is not low carb. :-(
> > I'd sub' chopped cocktail shrimp or real crab meat...

> Well, then, crab it is. Better too! Still, the idea is divine.

Yes it is. :-) I was shocked when I read the surimi package. Too bad
too as I love that stuff.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Jean B. wrote:
>>> Here is a divine appetizer, which I have had at a restaurant. (I
>>> wonder how it might be in portobello mushrooms as an entree.) It is
>>> essentially this:
>>>
>>> Mix surimi/crab with spicy mayo (like that used in some sushi). Use
>>> this to fill mushroom caps (not portobellos, bite-sized ones).
>>> Sprinkle tops with a bit of cheese--type unknown. Might be
>>> parmesan. It is sharp.
>>> Bake or broil (not sure which) until the mushrooms are cooked, the
>>> filling is hot, and the cheese is browned.
>>>
>>> These are soooo good. I think I'll post this elsewhere to share the
>>> delight of it all.

>> Wife makes these occasionally for parties. Canned crab meat works;
>> haven't tried surimi and probably won't. A decent Swiss cheese is
>> what she usually uses, and large button mushrooms. "Baby portabellos"
>> might be interesting.
>>
>> Bob

> With spicy mayo? Oh! I am just so out of the loop. :-)

Wife just uses regular mayo with a *tiny* bit of cayenne.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote on Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:38:06 -0500:

> Wife makes these occasionally for parties. Canned crab meat
> works; haven't tried surimi and probably won't.

People might think surimi, fake crab, will not be very appetizing but,
as served at a Giant Store salad bar, it is remarkably good. Of course I
prefer real crab..

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> zxcvbob wrote:

>>> Wife makes these occasionally for parties. Canned crab meat works;
>>> haven't tried surimi and probably won't. A decent Swiss cheese is
>>> what she usually uses, and large button mushrooms. "Baby
>>> portabellos" might be interesting.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> With spicy mayo? Oh! I am just so out of the loop. :-)
>>

> Wife just uses regular mayo with a *tiny* bit of cayenne.
>
> Bob

This would be a tad different then--maybe a lot different. Of
course, I haven't perfected spicy mayo, and I don't like the
ingredients in the store-bought one. Maybe I can beg (and then
buy) some from my favorite sushi place. of course, then I might
compare the store-bought stuff and find out that's what they use!

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote on Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:38:06 -0500:
>

>> Wife makes these occasionally for parties. Canned crab meat
>> works; haven't tried surimi and probably won't.

> People might think surimi, fake crab, will not be very appetizing but,
> as served at a Giant Store salad bar, it is remarkably good. Of course I
> prefer real crab..

I agree. I was a real snob about surimi, but then I had it from a
salad bar and was impressed. I am sure the mushrooms are made
with surimi, and they are yummy. Actually, the LC part aside, it
beats a lot of the crabmeat one finds now (IMO).

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote on Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:38:06 -0500:
>

>> Wife makes these occasionally for parties. Canned crab meat
>> works; haven't tried surimi and probably won't.

> People might think surimi, fake crab, will not be very appetizing but,
> as served at a Giant Store salad bar, it is remarkably good. Of course I
> prefer real crab..

I like surimi, I just don't think it will work as well in this recipe as
canned crab. One of the local stores has a smoked salmon & cream cheese
spread that is delicious -- and kind of expensive. If you read the fine
print ingredient list, they use surimi instead of salmon. I wish I knew
where to get smoked salmon flavored surimi; I could make the stuff
myself because that's about all it is (smoked surimi and cream cheese)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> James Silverton wrote:
>> zxcvbob wrote on Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:38:06 -0500:
>>

>>> Wife makes these occasionally for parties. Canned crab meat
>>> works; haven't tried surimi and probably won't.

>> People might think surimi, fake crab, will not be very appetizing but, as
>> served at a Giant Store salad bar, it is remarkably good. Of course I
>> prefer real crab..
>>

> I like surimi, I just don't think it will work as well in this recipe as
> canned crab. One of the local stores has a smoked salmon & cream cheese
> spread that is delicious -- and kind of expensive. If you read the fine
> print ingredient list, they use surimi instead of salmon. I wish I knew
> where to get smoked salmon flavored surimi; I could make the stuff myself
> because that's about all it is (smoked surimi and cream cheese)
>
> Bob

I'm not a snob about surimi, I use it often. But I have never been able to
heat it and enjoy it. Something nasty happens to the taste for me.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> James Silverton wrote:

>>> People might think surimi, fake crab, will not be very appetizing but, as
>>> served at a Giant Store salad bar, it is remarkably good. Of course I
>>> prefer real crab..
>>>

>> I like surimi, I just don't think it will work as well in this recipe as
>> canned crab. One of the local stores has a smoked salmon & cream cheese
>> spread that is delicious -- and kind of expensive. If you read the fine
>> print ingredient list, they use surimi instead of salmon. I wish I knew
>> where to get smoked salmon flavored surimi; I could make the stuff myself
>> because that's about all it is (smoked surimi and cream cheese)
>>
>> Bob

> I'm not a snob about surimi, I use it often. But I have never been able to
> heat it and enjoy it. Something nasty happens to the taste for me.
> Janet

Hmmm. It didn't seem nasty in the mushrooms.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>> I like surimi, I just don't think it will work as well in this recipe as
>>> canned crab. One of the local stores has a smoked salmon & cream cheese
>>> spread that is delicious -- and kind of expensive. If you read the fine
>>> print ingredient list, they use surimi instead of salmon. I wish I knew
>>> where to get smoked salmon flavored surimi; I could make the stuff
>>> myself because that's about all it is (smoked surimi and cream cheese)
>>>
>>> Bob

>> I'm not a snob about surimi, I use it often. But I have never been able
>> to heat it and enjoy it. Something nasty happens to the taste for me.
>> Janet

> Hmmm. It didn't seem nasty in the mushrooms.
>
> --
> Jean B.

I'm not saying that it would to everyone. . .I think there are a lot of
things in food that hit the palette differently for different people.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> This would be a tad different then--maybe a lot different. Of course, I
> haven't perfected spicy mayo, and I don't like the ingredients in the
> store-bought one. Maybe I can beg (and then buy) some from my favorite
> sushi place. of course, then I might compare the store-bought stuff and
> find out that's what they use!

Oh ye of little faith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>> I'm not a snob about surimi, I use it often. But I have never been able
>>> to heat it and enjoy it. Something nasty happens to the taste for me.
>>> Janet

>> Hmmm. It didn't seem nasty in the mushrooms.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> I'm not saying that it would to everyone. . .I think there are a lot of
> things in food that hit the palette differently for different people.
> Janet

I wonder, too, whether surimi might vary among manufacturers?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> This would be a tad different then--maybe a lot different. Of course, I
>> haven't perfected spicy mayo, and I don't like the ingredients in the
>> store-bought one. Maybe I can beg (and then buy) some from my favorite
>> sushi place. of course, then I might compare the store-bought stuff and
>> find out that's what they use!

> Oh ye of little faith

Yes, I guess that was a bit cynical.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>> James Silverton wrote:
>> I like surimi, I just don't think it will work as well in this recipe as
>> canned crab. One of the local stores has a smoked salmon & cream cheese
>> spread that is delicious -- and kind of expensive. If you read the fine
>> print ingredient list, they use surimi instead of salmon. I wish I knew
>> where to get smoked salmon flavored surimi; I could make the stuff myself
>> because that's about all it is (smoked surimi and cream cheese)
>>
>> Bob
>>

> I'm not a snob about surimi, I use it often. But I have never been able to
> heat it and enjoy it. Something nasty happens to the taste for me.
> Janet

Surimi here costs about $3.99 per pound. This week, I pay $3.99 per
pound for shrimp or sirloin strip. I like surimi, but at that cost, I
have other options. I keep hoping the price will come down.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>> Hmmm. It didn't seem nasty in the mushrooms.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jean B.

>> I'm not saying that it would to everyone. . .I think there are a lot of
>> things in food that hit the palette differently for different people.
>> Janet

> I wonder, too, whether surimi might vary among manufacturers?
>
> --
> Jean B.

I think so. They taste different to me.
Janet