Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default cooking so as to appeal to children

Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to mix
with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much like
cabbage? Thanks for advice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"john royce" ha scritto nel messaggio

> Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to mix>
> with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much
> like
> cabbage? Thanks for advice.

I always liked it as a kid, so I tried to think about things that reignited
my interest in cabbage because they were very different. What came to mind
was slivered cabbage stirfried with garlic and sauced with something that
included hoisin sauce.

Stuffed cabbage is really going to lengths, but is just wonderful to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"john royce" > wrote:

> Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to mix
> with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much like
> cabbage? Thanks for advice.

Stir-fry it with nutmeg.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"john royce" > wrote:

> Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to mix
> with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much like
> cabbage? Thanks for advice.

I can think of a number of ways. Ones that come to mind quickly are
stuffed cabbage rolls, or shredded cabbage mixed with the meat of their
choice, including hot dogs or other sausages.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"john royce" > wrote:

> Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to mix
> with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much like
> cabbage? Thanks for advice.

That depends on the child. When I was a kid, my mom used to make an old
Polish dish called prackis (sp?), which is cabbage rolls with ground
veal in the center and simmered in tomato sauce. My little sister
wouldn't touch it, but I loved it.

I have four god children (two boys, two girls). We are very close. The
youngest kid just turned six. The oldest is midway into her 15th year.
All four kids have the same parents, yet they have very different tastes
in food. The oldest girl will try anything I ask her to eat, but she
definitely has a narrow range of foods she really enjoys. The six year
old boy will eat the typical things many six year old kids prefer, and
not much else. The 12 year old will eat anything that's not moving. The
ten year old couldn't care less about food, so she will eat pretty much
anything, but only a small portion, then she wants to do something else.

So try making those Polish cabbage rolls with veal in the middle, or
just don't worry about it. I have a long time friend who has a ten year
old son. This kid is by far the most fussy eater I have ever met. He
litterally looks malnourished. You can see his ribs and bones, and he
doesn't care about food. That's the way he's always been. I have known
him since he was born. He literally only eats chicken finger (one at a
meal and that's it), vanilla soft serve ice cream, and spaghetti with no
sauce on it of any kind, and grilled cheese and french fries. That's it.
Even when he does eat, its a very small amount. I used to try to get him
to eat different things, but I gave up. His uncle and I once were
watching him for a day when we realized there was a big sports event on
TV that we really wanted to see and no time to get him back to his
parents when we were on vacation in Disney World so we took him to the
ESPN Zone and we sat him down in the bar area with us. He sat wide eyed
watching the game with us and he hardly said a word. We tried to get him
to eat some of the food we ordered, but all he wanted was french fries
and an ice tea, so that's what he got. He did try one bite of one of our
buffalo chicken wings, but that was it. I was stunned that he behaved so
well during the game. We offered to call his parents to come get him,
but he said he was fine hanging out with us.

I don't have kids, but I do have a lot of other people's children in my
life, so I can tell you that they are all unique. Some kids will eat
cabbage, and some won't ... just like adults. If your kids won't eat
cabbage, then don't feed it to them, but try the prackis, and if they
try it and like it, great; otherwise, oh well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:
> "john royce" > wrote:
>
>> Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to mix
>> with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much like
>> cabbage? Thanks for advice.

>I can think of a number of ways. Ones that come to mind quickly are
>stuffed cabbage rolls, or shredded cabbage mixed with the meat of their
>choice, including hot dogs or other sausages.

Simplest is fried cabbage with egg noodles... most kids like noodles.

Saute shredded/chopped cabbage in butter until tender-limp, add cooked
noodles to pan, toss and add s n'p.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan wrote on Sun, 13 Sep 2009 08:23:10 -0400:

>> Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something
>> simple to mix with it) to make it more appealing to children,
>> who don't normally much like cabbage? Thanks for advice.

> That depends on the child. When I was a kid, my mom used to
> make an old Polish dish called prackis (sp?), which is cabbage
> rolls with ground veal in the center and simmered in tomato
> sauce. My little sister wouldn't touch it, but I loved it.

I detested cabbage as a child but that is because, in British tradition,
it was cooked to death. Much later, I found that I rather liked it
cooked for a few minutes. I also like shredded cabbage in Cole-Slaw and
as a salad or an accompaniment to Japanese fried cutlets. Gujerati
Sambhara uses pretty well cooked cabbage. Other Indian dishes include
some varieties of Thoren or Poryal (dry curries). Lightly cooked cabbage
is used in Colcannon (Irish) or Rumbledethumps (Scottish). The last
name alone might make it appealing to kids. Mediterranean stuffed
cabbage might also be enjoyed by kids

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:12:08 +0100, "john royce"
> wrote:

>Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to mix
>with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much like
>cabbage? Thanks for advice.

Cole slaw

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

john royce wrote:
> Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to mix
> with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much like
> cabbage? Thanks for advice.

How about okonomiyaki?

http://www.japan-guide.com/r/e100.html (there are tons of other recipes
and examples if you search "okonomiyaki".

Essentially a savory pancake of cabbage, flour and eggs. Super simple to
make and the main ingredient is cabbage. Add whatever else the kids
might like too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara said...

> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:12:08 +0100, "john royce"
> > wrote:
>
>>Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to
>>mix with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally
>>much like cabbage? Thanks for advice.
>>

> Cole slaw
>
> Tara

Deef fried spring rolls, or similar?

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" wrote
>> "john royce" wrote:

>>> Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to
>>> mix
>>> with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much
>>> like
>>> cabbage? Thanks for advice.

> Simplest is fried cabbage with egg noodles... most kids like noodles.
> Saute shredded/chopped cabbage in butter until tender-limp, add cooked
> noodles to pan, toss and add s n'p.

Simple and elegant. That was a nice side dish a neighbor in Sasebo taught
me. It hadnt occured to me until Charlotte came home and mentioned it. The
kids there would travel in little 'flocks' about the apartment building and
normally get fed little bits. With an extremely diverse ethnic mix, there
were all sorts of variations but most of us were real careful to make it
'real food' (not candy and cakes and such).

When Charlotte mentioned it, I wandered over with a head of cabbage and some
other things that looked likely and asked for the recipe.

Here was Serena's version of it:

Cook pasta to al-dente and keep warm at the side.

Melt butter and a little olive oil in frypan. Add shredded carrots (she
just used a standard peeler over the pan), about 1/2 cup, and white onion
(aboit 1/3 cup) and let slightly carmelize until the onions are a light
golden color.

Blanch cabbage leaves (torn to bitesize) until just barely limp in the pasta
water then remove with slotted spoon to frypan. Let melt into butter and
finish off.

At this stage she had 2 variations. 3 really as sometimes she just seved it
this way with nothing more added. Option 1: used caraway seeds. Option 2:
used a bit of a hoisin-like sauce mixed with a little 'rooster sauce' (not
too much, just enough for a mild bite).

This was then poured, complete with all pan juices over the pasta and
lightly mixed. Served whole in a bowl at the table, each would serve
themselves (very asian treatment in dining habits to do this at home).

Close to how you might make it?

BTW, I traded back my recipe that she'd heard of from her kids. Dashi-miso
soup with spinach, tofu, and other bits of things friendly to that flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:12:08 +0100, john royce wrote:

> Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to mix
> with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much like
> cabbage? Thanks for advice.

put lotsa ketchup on it?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy said...

> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:12:08 +0100, john royce wrote:
>
>> Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to
>> mix with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally
>> much like cabbage? Thanks for advice.

> put lotsa ketchup on it?
>
> your pal,
> blake

You're actually nobody's pal. No matter what fake name you've used.

You're only blake "no legs" murphy. **** ant of rfc.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" wrote
> john royce wrote:

>> Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to mix
>> with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much
>> like
>> cabbage? Thanks for advice.

> How about okonomiyaki?
>
> http://www.japan-guide.com/r/e100.html (there are tons of other recipes
> and examples if you search "okonomiyaki".

Oh yes! Thanks for a trip down Memory lane! The kids in Sasebo called this
'cabbage pizza'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> blake murphy said...
>> put lotsa ketchup on it?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> You're actually nobody's pal. No matter what fake name you've used.
>
> You're only blake "no legs" murphy. **** ant of rfc.
>
> Andy

Oh, I don't know

Blake's pal
Ed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:12:08 +0100, "john royce"
> > wrote:
>
>> Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to mix
>> with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much like
>> cabbage? Thanks for advice.

I'd start with a small amount of shredded cabbage sauteed in butter and
added to something spicy that they like--crisp crumbled breakfast
sausage, maybe?

I'm not an expert--to me most cabbage smells like swamp gas and it's
hard to get past that.

I do enjoy sweet and sour red cabbage, however.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski said...

> Oh, I don't know
>
> Blake's pal
> Ed

Who cares?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:12:08 +0100, "john royce"
> wrote:

>Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to mix
>with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much like
>cabbage? Thanks for advice.

My mom used to make vegetable soup with cabbage. I loved it. You
can add some ABC shaped pasta for some extra fun.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Andy" > wrote in message ...
>> blake murphy said...
>>> put lotsa ketchup on it?
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>> You're actually nobody's pal. No matter what fake name you've used.
>>
>> You're only blake "no legs" murphy. **** ant of rfc.
>>
>> Andy

Speak for yourself, foul thing.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P said...

>> "Andy" > wrote in message
>>> blake murphy said...

>>> You're actually nobody's pal. No matter what fake name you've used.
>>>
>>> You're only blake "no legs" murphy. **** ant of rfc.
>>>
>>> Andy

> Speak for yourself, foul thing.
>
> gloria p

Don't I always???

Sourpuss!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 09:18:13 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>Lightly cooked cabbage
>is used in Colcannon (Irish) or Rumbledethumps (Scottish).

Bubble and Squeak was my DD's favorite meal when she was a kid. I
gussied it up with shredded zucchini and cooked it in bacon fat.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote on Sun, 13 Sep 2009 10:48:27 -0700:

>> Lightly cooked cabbage
>> is used in Colcannon (Irish) or Rumbledethumps (Scottish).

> Bubble and Squeak was my DD's favorite meal when she was a
> kid. I gussied it up with shredded zucchini and cooked it in
> bacon fat.

Another thing I've just thought of that might appeal to kids is Fish
Tacos. The cabbage is shredded and uncooked, I'll admit.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"john royce" > wrote:

> Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to mix
> with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much like
> cabbage? Thanks for advice.

Google Cedric Adams' Casserole
It's tasty. And very simple to make!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote on Sun, 13 Sep 2009 13:25:41 -0400:

>> Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something
>> simple to mix with it) to make it more appealing to children,
>> who don't normally much like cabbage? Thanks for advice.
>>

> My mom used to make vegetable soup with cabbage. I loved it.
> You can add some ABC shaped pasta for some extra fun.

Cabbage can be used as one ingredient for Japanese miso soup tho' that
doesn't use a lot.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
> > "john royce" > wrote:
> >
> >> Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to mix
> >> with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much
> >> like
> >> cabbage? Thanks for advice.

> >I can think of a number of ways. Ones that come to mind quickly are
> >stuffed cabbage rolls, or shredded cabbage mixed with the meat of their
> >choice, including hot dogs or other sausages.

> Simplest is fried cabbage with egg noodles... most kids like noodles.

Very true. And cheese.

> Saute shredded/chopped cabbage in butter until tender-limp, add cooked
> noodles to pan, toss and add s n'p.

So, keep it simple?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Tara > wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:12:08 +0100, "john royce"
> > wrote:
>
> >Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to mix
> >with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much like
> >cabbage? Thanks for advice.
> >

> Cole slaw
>
> Tara

I hate Cole Slaw. Always have, still do.
Mom loved it.

<sigh>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 13, 1:21*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski said...
>
> > Oh, I don't know

> > Blake's pal
> > Ed

> Who cares?
>
> Andy

Obviously you if you are commenting and responding to him. People I
don't like I skip their posts and ignore.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 11, 9:12*am, "john royce" > wrote:
> Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to mix
> with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much like
> cabbage? * *Thanks for advice.

Shred it, and stir fry with pork or chicken (with some ginger type
blend).

Spread warm tortillas with some hoison sauce, place stir fry in top &
roll up, like mu shoo pork.

My kids LOVE that!

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

john royce wrote:
> Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to mix
> with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much like
> cabbage? Thanks for advice.

Hi John.

I haven't checked all the responses, but my suggestion is to get them
involved with the cooking process. I know many a kid that normally
disliked a specific vegetable, or other item, that was on their plate
(tuna for example), that when brought to the kitchen and participated in
making the the meal, they'd gobble it down.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote
> Don't I always???
>
> Sourpuss!

You need help, old man.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cyberpurrs" > wrote in message

> "Andy" > wrote
>> Don't I always???
>>
>> Sourpuss!
>>

> You need help, old man.

You might be right, but I think that he is beyond help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:21:02 -0500, Andy wrote:

> Ed Pawlowski said...
>
>> Oh, I don't know
>>
>> Blake's pal
>> Ed

> Who cares?
>
> Andy

evidently you care enough to make idiotic posts about it.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 22:53:09 -0400, cyberpurrs wrote:

> "Andy" > wrote
>> Don't I always???
>>
>> Sourpuss!
>>

> You need help, old man.

what, when he is in the middle of a contest with sheldon for 'most
repulsive poster'?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy said...

> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:21:02 -0500, Andy wrote:
>
>> Ed Pawlowski said...
>>
>>> Oh, I don't know
>>>
>>> Blake's pal
>>> Ed

>> Who cares?
>>
>> Andy

> evidently you care enough to make idiotic posts about it.
>
> blake

Who cares about blake "no legs" murphy is what I meant. Not many!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 13:20:14 -0600, Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 18:45:56 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sun 13 Sep 2009 10:01:15a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

>>> Blake's pal
>>> Ed

>>And mine...

> And mine too. I met Blake when I was on the east coast for a
> contract. A nicer man, you will never meet.
>
> Christine

ah, me public. thanks, ed, wayne and christine. believe me, i take andy's
remarks for what they are worth, usually only a snicker or two.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> blake murphy said...
>
>> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:21:02 -0500, Andy wrote:
>>
>>> Ed Pawlowski said...

>>> Who cares?
>>>
>>> Andy

>> evidently you care enough to make idiotic posts about it.
>>
>> blake

> Who cares about blake "no legs" murphy is what I meant. Not many!

Andy, at the risk of alienating you... You make yourself look
extremely bad when you go off on such tangents. For your own
sake, please stop.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy said...

> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 13:20:14 -0600, Christine Dabney wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 18:45:56 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun 13 Sep 2009 10:01:15a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

>>>And mine...

>> And mine too. I met Blake when I was on the east coast for a
>> contract. A nicer man, you will never meet.
>>
>> Christine

> ah, me public. thanks, ed, wayne and christine. believe me, i take

andy's
> remarks for what they are worth, usually only a snicker or two.
>
> your pal,
> blake

You think you're special with only three teeny weenie fans!

Show me 100 and I'll shut up!

Asshole!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. said...

> Andy wrote:
>> blake murphy said...

>>> evidently you care enough to make idiotic posts about it.
>>>
>>> blake

>> Who cares about blake "no legs" murphy is what I meant. Not many!

> Andy, at the risk of alienating you... You make yourself look
> extremely bad when you go off on such tangents. For your own
> sake, please stop.

Ms. Perfect...

Sorry! I will not lay down and die on your say so!

**** YOU.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Jean B. said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> blake murphy said...

>>> Who cares about blake "no legs" murphy is what I meant. Not many!

>> Andy, at the risk of alienating you... You make yourself look
>> extremely bad when you go off on such tangents. For your own
>> sake, please stop.

> Ms. Perfect...
>
> Sorry! I will not lay down and die on your say so!
>
> **** YOU.
>
> Andy

Oh my. You really are in a rotten mood. Well, I have said my
piece, so I am done.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Jean B. said...

>>> Andy, at the risk of alienating you... You make yourself look
>>> extremely bad when you go off on such tangents. For your own
>>> sake, please stop.

>> Ms. Perfect...
>>
>> Sorry! I will not lay down and die on your say so!
>>
>> **** YOU.
>>
>> Andy

> Oh my. You really are in a rotten mood. Well, I have said my
> piece, so I am done.

You haven't seen me in a rotten mood!