Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tailgating anyone?

Good morning all,

This lovely fall weather and college football starting has been making
me think of maybe having a tailgate.

I've only ever brought a contribution to one before, not actually
organized one.

I might even "cheat" and have it in my driveway (I know, it's lame,
but I live two blocks aways from the local high school field so it's a
close subtitute).

When I think of tailgates, I think of:

bloody marys and/or pony keg
chili con queso w/ tortilla chips
some sort of soup
brats (maybe sauerkraut too?)
chili
Some sort of hold-in-hand-to-eat dessert (like cookies or bars)

Has anyone else hosted one? Or been to one that had a great menu?
Recipe & planning ideas welcome.

Go Michigan State,
Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:

> I might even "cheat" and have it in my driveway (I know, it's lame,
> but I live two blocks aways from the local high school field so it's a
> close subtitute).
>
> When I think of tailgates, I think of:
>
> bloody marys and/or pony keg
> chili con queso w/ tortilla chips
> some sort of soup
> brats (maybe sauerkraut too?)
> chili
> Some sort of hold-in-hand-to-eat dessert (like cookies or bars)
>
> Has anyone else hosted one? Or been to one that had a great menu?
> Recipe & planning ideas welcome.

Today's tailgate is washed out, but I had all my ingredients for
stromboli ready (pizza dough, prosciutto, salami, pastrami, hot peppers),
so I made them anyway. Froze one, baked the other and had that for
lunch. Unfortunately my brain let me down at the last minute and I
forgot to eggwash the outside of the stromboli before baking it. Tasted
great, looked anemic. Oh, well.

Last week it was a big bricked sandwich with the same salami &
prosciutto, artichoke hearts, goat cheese, basil and tapenade.
Other stuff I likely forget.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 12, 11:31*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Kris wrote:
> > I might even "cheat" and have it in my driveway (I know, it's lame,
> > but I live two blocks aways from the local high school field so it's a
> > close subtitute).

> > When I think of tailgates, I think of:

> > bloody marys and/or pony keg
> > chili con queso w/ tortilla chips
> > some sort of soup
> > brats (maybe sauerkraut too?)
> > chili
> > Some sort of hold-in-hand-to-eat dessert (like cookies or bars)

> > Has anyone else hosted one? Or been to one that had a great menu?
> > Recipe & planning ideas welcome.

> Today's tailgate is washed out, but I had all my ingredients for
> stromboli ready (pizza dough, prosciutto, salami, pastrami, hot peppers),
> so I made them anyway. *Froze one, baked the other and had that for
> lunch. *Unfortunately my brain let me down at the last minute and I
> forgot to eggwash the outside of the stromboli before baking it. *Tasted
> great, looked anemic. *Oh, well.
>
> Last week it was a big bricked sandwich with the same salami &
> prosciutto, artichoke hearts, goat cheese, basil and tapenade.
> Other stuff I likely forget. * *
>
> nancy *- Hide quoted text -

Those both sound good! How do you transport the stromboli (pale or
otherwise)?

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
> On Sep 12, 11:31 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> Today's tailgate is washed out, but I had all my ingredients for
>> stromboli ready (pizza dough, prosciutto, salami, pastrami, hot
>> peppers), so I made them anyway. Froze one, baked the other and had
>> that for lunch. Unfortunately my brain let me down at the last
>> minute and I forgot to eggwash the outside of the stromboli before
>> baking it. Tasted great, looked anemic. Oh, well.

> Those both sound good! How do you transport the stromboli (pale or
> otherwise)?

I wrap it in foil, then in a towel or something. It doesn't need to
stay hot or warm for longer than 45 minutes to an hour.

And I'm easy, I'd even eat it cold. Heh.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" > wrote in message
> Good morning all,
>
> This lovely fall weather and college football starting has been making
> me think of maybe having a tailgate.
>
> I've only ever brought a contribution to one before, not actually
> organized one.
>
> I might even "cheat" and have it in my driveway (I know, it's lame,
> but I live two blocks aways from the local high school field so it's a
> close subtitute).
>
> When I think of tailgates, I think of:
>
> bloody marys and/or pony keg
> chili con queso w/ tortilla chips
> some sort of soup
> brats (maybe sauerkraut too?)
> chili
> Some sort of hold-in-hand-to-eat dessert (like cookies or bars)
>
> Has anyone else hosted one? Or been to one that had a great menu?
> Recipe & planning ideas welcome.
>
> Go Michigan State,
> Kris

The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around the
parking lot and socialize and trade food.
The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They want you
in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the game and
need two spots.
So far just a sideways look and they leave.

Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tailgating in the driveway sounds like the way to do it!

You'll be able to offer all your guests the comforts of home (such as
a restroom, etc) during the tailgating session. And then, no matter
how hammered everyone gets, your group can just walk to the game, then
walk back and have a place to finish sobering up before they have to
drive.

That's how -I- see it anyways.

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom Biasi wrote:

> The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around
> the parking lot and socialize and trade food.
> The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They
> want you in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
> So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
> trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the
> game and need two spots.
> So far just a sideways look and they leave.

Isn't parking still tight because they built a new stadium? It might ease
up after things settle down.

Today at my game, long story short I wound up waiting in the outdoor
stairwells to keep out of the rain. The stairs overlooked the
handicapped parking area. Something caught my eye and I realized
that people were parked in handicapped and taking up the next
space (or two) with their canopies and their other tailgating stuff.

People who also had handicap rights kept driving by slowly
looking for a spot. One guy finally got a group to move their
stuff so they could squeeeeeze into the space. Then he helped
his elderly passenger with double leg amputations into his
wheelchair to go into the game.

Imagine? Of all people, shouldn't the people who use handicapped
parking know not to take up extra spaces?? It's a different matter
from your situation where some people do wind up taking up
extra spots. I don't understand why the police weren't right
there writing tickets.

See what you did, set me off. (laugh)

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:05:20 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

-->Tom Biasi wrote:
-->
[...]

They do it because they think they can, we have the same probnlem here
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom Biasi wrote:

> The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around the
> parking lot and socialize and trade food.
> The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They want you
> in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
> So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
> trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the game and
> need two spots.
> So far just a sideways look and they leave.

Do you pay for two parking spaces when you bring a trailer?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Tom Biasi wrote:
>
> > The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around
> > the parking lot and socialize and trade food.
> > The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They
> > want you in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
> > So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
> > trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the
> > game and need two spots.
> > So far just a sideways look and they leave.

> Isn't parking still tight because they built a new stadium? It might ease
> up after things settle down.

The stadium is almost in downtown San Francisco. It's *never* going to
settle down there. That's just a high density area. We take the ferry
to the game. Close parking costs more than the ticket to the game. The
old stadium (which is still there, but not used for baseball anymore),
is in a lower density area.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
> Tom Biasi wrote:
>

>> The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around the
>> parking lot and socialize and trade food.
>> The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They want
>> you in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
>> So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
>> trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the game
>> and need two spots.
>> So far just a sideways look and they leave.
>>

> Do you pay for two parking spaces when you bring a trailer?
>
> gloria p

If I do, then there is no issue, it's my space. Sometimes in the past the
parking guy would just say, "Keep it tight". Then I was at their graces.

Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom Biasi said...

> "Gloria P" > wrote in message
>> Tom Biasi wrote:
>>

>>> The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around
>>> the parking lot and socialize and trade food.
>>> The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They
>>> want you in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
>>> So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
>>> trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the
>>> game and need two spots.
>>> So far just a sideways look and they leave.
>>>

>> Do you pay for two parking spaces when you bring a trailer?
>>
>> gloria p

> If I do, then there is no issue, it's my space. Sometimes in the past
> the parking guy would just say, "Keep it tight". Then I was at their
> graces.
>
> Tom

Tom,

Maybe five years ago I was invited to a Giants game to tailgate and watch
the game. Of all things I offered to bring they said "bring donuts." WTF???
From Philly,??? I could've brought cheesesteaks. Turned out the kids went
to town on the donuts.

It was genuinely a grand time!

I forget who the Giant's played or who won but I remember tailgating!!!
First and only time!

Best,

Andy
--
I'm no longer a danger to society.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Tom Biasi said...
>

>> "Gloria P" > wrote in message
>>> Do you pay for two parking spaces when you bring a trailer?
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> If I do, then there is no issue, it's my space. Sometimes in the past
>> the parking guy would just say, "Keep it tight". Then I was at their
>> graces.
>>
>> Tom

> Tom,
>
> Maybe five years ago I was invited to a Giants game to tailgate and watch
> the game. Of all things I offered to bring they said "bring donuts."
> WTF???
> From Philly,??? I could've brought cheesesteaks. Turned out the kids went
> to town on the donuts.
>
> It was genuinely a grand time!
>
> I forget who the Giant's played or who won but I remember tailgating!!!
> First and only time!

I cannot imagine that they wouldn't have invited you back.

> Best,
>
> Andy
> --
> I will no longer be a danger to society when I croak.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 21:00:45 -0400, Un-Yawn wrote:

> "Andy" > wrote in message ...
>> Tom Biasi said...

>>> If I do, then there is no issue, it's my space. Sometimes in the past
>>> the parking guy would just say, "Keep it tight". Then I was at their
>>> graces.
>>>
>>> Tom

>> Tom,
>>
>> Maybe five years ago I was invited to a Giants game to tailgate and watch
>> the game. Of all things I offered to bring they said "bring donuts."
>> WTF???
>> From Philly,??? I could've brought cheesesteaks. Turned out the kids went
>> to town on the donuts.
>>
>> It was genuinely a grand time!
>>
>> I forget who the Giant's played or who won but I remember tailgating!!!
>> First and only time!
>>

> I cannot imagine that they wouldn't have invited you back.

<snort>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 12, 9:23*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article >,
> *"Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
> > Tom Biasi wrote:

> > > The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around
> > > the parking lot and socialize and trade food.
> > > The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They
> > > want you in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
> > > So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
> > > trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the
> > > game and need two spots.
> > > So far just a sideways look and they leave.

> > Isn't parking still tight because they built a new stadium? *It might ease
> > up after things settle down.

> The stadium is almost in downtown San Francisco. *It's *never* going to
> settle down there. *That's just a high density area. *We take the ferry
> to the game. *Close parking costs more than the ticket to the game. *The
> old stadium (which is still there, but not used for baseball anymore),
> is in a lower density area.
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

Nobody tailgates for baseball - it's a football thing. So in San
Francisco, it's still going on at Candlestick (or whatever they've
renamed it to this week), because the Niners still play there. Biasi
is referring to the NY Giants.

But in the Bay Area, the place to tailgate is the Coliseum before
Raiders games. For some reason, Raider fans are into tailgating big
time - there's great stuff every weekend out in that parking lot!

Susan B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sueb wrote:
> On Sep 12, 9:23 pm, Dan Abel > wrote:

>>> Isn't parking still tight because they built a new stadium? It
>>> might ease up after things settle down.

>> The stadium is almost in downtown San Francisco. It's *never* going
>> to settle down there. That's just a high density area. We take the
>> ferry to the game. Close parking costs more than the ticket to the
>> game. The old stadium (which is still there, but not used for
>> baseball anymore), is in a lower density area.

> Nobody tailgates for baseball - it's a football thing. So in San
> Francisco, it's still going on at Candlestick (or whatever they've
> renamed it to this week), because the Niners still play there. Biasi
> is referring to the NY Giants.

(laugh) Only after I posted did I think ... is there another Giants
stadium and that's what Tom's talking about? To me it's the one
in the Meadowlands.

> But in the Bay Area, the place to tailgate is the Coliseum before
> Raiders games. For some reason, Raider fans are into tailgating big
> time - there's great stuff every weekend out in that parking lot!

I bet. I haven't been to a Giants game in almost never, you can't
get tickets. But I've heard they have some fabulous tailgate food.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
sueb > wrote:

> On Sep 12, 9:23*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> > In article >,
> > *"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> > > Isn't parking still tight because they built a new stadium? *It might ease
> > > up after things settle down.

> > The stadium is almost in downtown San Francisco. *It's *never* going to
> > settle down there. *That's just a high density area. *We take the ferry
> > to the game. *Close parking costs more than the ticket to the game. *The
> > old stadium (which is still there, but not used for baseball anymore),
> > is in a lower density area.

> Nobody tailgates for baseball - it's a football thing. So in San
> Francisco, it's still going on at Candlestick (or whatever they've
> renamed it to this week), because the Niners still play there. Biasi
> is referring to the NY Giants.
>
> But in the Bay Area, the place to tailgate is the Coliseum before
> Raiders games. For some reason, Raider fans are into tailgating big
> time - there's great stuff every weekend out in that parking lot!

Yeah, that's pretty confusing to me. My wife is a big SF Giants
baseball fan. Around our house, "Giants" means baseball. We live on
the West Coast, so a New York team isn't of so much interest. Besides,
neither of us follow any football teams, other than a couple of college
teams.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:43:53 -0700 (PDT), sueb >
wrote:

>On Sep 12, 9:23*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
>> In article >,
>> *"Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> > Isn't parking still tight because they built a new stadium? *It might ease
>> > up after things settle down.

LOL! SF Giants parking settle down? Are you aware of where the ball
park is located? The whole point of putting the stadium where it is
(besides availability and cost) was for people to walk or use public
access.

Does the icon of stadiums, Wrigley Field, have parking? I think not.

>> The stadium is almost in downtown San Francisco. *It's *never* going to
>> settle down there. *That's just a high density area. *We take the ferry
>> to the game. *Close parking costs more than the ticket to the game. *The
>> old stadium (which is still there, but not used for baseball anymore),
>> is in a lower density area.
>>
>> --
>> Dan Abel
>> Petaluma, California USA
>>

>Nobody tailgates for baseball - it's a football thing. So in San
>Francisco, it's still going on at Candlestick (or whatever they've
>renamed it to this week), because the Niners still play there. Biasi
>is referring to the NY Giants.
>
>But in the Bay Area, the place to tailgate is the Coliseum before
>Raiders games. For some reason, Raider fans are into tailgating big
>time - there's great stuff every weekend out in that parking lot!
>
>Susan B.

49ers fans tailgait too, but they don't wear all the make up and
costumes like Raiders fans do. Raider fans are definitely worthy of
TV close ups! IMO: watching 49er fans is like watching Stanford
Cardinal fans... too bad we (meaning both teams) don't have a band as
entertaining as Stanford's.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Cool little portable hibachi for travel/tailgating tutall Barbecue 6 24-08-2010 04:18 AM
BBQ Tailgating Ekal Byar Barbecue 0 29-12-2009 12:33 AM
This week's tailgating Nancy Young General Cooking 5 23-09-2006 11:20 AM