Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Goings on today

A friend of ours sprung a leak in his aorta back in the spring. Damn
near died, he did. After seven units of blood and surgery (they went
in through a femoral artery and up to his heart to sew him up from the
inside!) and over three months in the hospital he was back home by the
end of August. Moving kinda slow. Using a walker. But he's farking
alive, and that's one hell of an accomplishment.

I smoked him a chicken and made a Sriracha/mint mayo to go with it
when he was able to receive company.

Fridays a group of us usually gather at a beer joint down on the
square for snacks, brews, camaraderie, and more brews. Dave (our
should-be-dead-but-isn't friend) made it last Friday for a little
while. But we were out of town, and couldn't be there to welcome him
back to the fold. So I'm determined to be there tonight to toast him
and his stamina.

Dave teaches Ag Science. He can and will tell you more about hog
reproduction than you ever wanted to know. I know this first hand.
He's had a feral boar's head on the wall of his office for many years.
It was only last winter that I finally learned that he'd shot the
******* himself out at the college farm. "I wouldn't hang a trophy on
my wall that I didn't shoot," he told me. "I told him to leave, and he
didn't. So I killed him." Apparently it really impressed the students
he had with him at the time. One shot to the head. Dead pig. Not a
squeal. Just bang-thud.

Right now I have a grass-fed beef brisket in the smoker pit. Monday
night I set it in a pickling brine (Ruhlman's recipe). I dumped the
brine last night and left the meat in the fridge till today. Rubbed
with toasted coriander and black pepper, it's slowly becoming pastrami
under the gentle insistence of smoldering lump charcoal and pecan
wood. Unfortunately it won't be ready by 6 when I'm due at the bar.

I plan to bring some apricot preserves doctored with habanero chiles.
That and some cream cheese should be good on crackers.

In other news, I found another bee hive living in the wall of my house
this afternoon. We had one removed from the north wall earlier in the
summer. This one's in the west wall, but it's shaded most of the
afternoon. Not too hot for honey bees. Obviously.

The earlier hive produced two swarms this spring. I got a guy from the
county extension to take care of them. He took one and gave me one.
The swarm that the bee guy gave me left the box I had them in out at
the community garden after a few weeks. One day they were just gone.
No bees. None dead. None alive. The ridiculous prospect that we may
have a case of homing bees has occurred to me.

Gotta go tend the fire.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:07:51 -0500, "modom (palindrome guy)"
> wrote:

>The earlier hive produced two swarms this spring. I got a guy from the
>county extension to take care of them. He took one and gave me one.
>The swarm that the bee guy gave me left the box I had them in out at
>the community garden after a few weeks. One day they were just gone.
>No bees. None dead. None alive. The ridiculous prospect that we may
>have a case of homing bees has occurred to me.

Either that or they were rustled. Next time, put an itty bitty band
around one leg before you release them. Then you'll know if you've
got homing bees or not.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:07:51 -0500, "modom (palindrome guy)"
> > wrote:
>
> >The earlier hive produced two swarms this spring. I got a guy from the
> >county extension to take care of them. He took one and gave me one.
> >The swarm that the bee guy gave me left the box I had them in out at
> >the community garden after a few weeks. One day they were just gone.
> >No bees. None dead. None alive. The ridiculous prospect that we may
> >have a case of homing bees has occurred to me.

> Either that or they were rustled. Next time, put an itty bitty band
> around one leg before you release them. Then you'll know if you've
> got homing bees or not.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Could be that colony collapse thing... not good...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

This getting to be too Twitter-like, Modom.

Except they would never stand for such long twaats.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 22:01:01 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>This getting to be too Twitter-like, Modom.
>
>Except they would never stand for such long twaats.
>
>-sw

A long **** is unendurable, for sure. I'll work to improve what I
share with this august community. Even if it is September. And in
this effort I welcome any and all suggestions.

The brisket continues its evolution towards pastrami in the smoker pit
out back. Lightening off to the west is cause for pause, but it
appears to be moving away from us right now. The stuff off to the east
and headed this way (I just saw it on local radar) might be more to
the point. If smoking meat is the point. And right now it is.

Dave -- our friend who survived what would kill most of us -- didn't
show at the bar tonight. My friends who did seemed to like my habanero
and apricot jam concoction on crackers. Probably it was the cream
cheese.

Oh dear, I've used too many characters! and there's still the issue of
the bees. Well, maybe that'll wait till tomorrow.
--

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 21:47:33 -0600, Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 22:40:20 -0500, "modom (palindrome guy)"
> > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 22:01:01 -0500, Sqwertz >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>This getting to be too Twitter-like, Modom.
>>>
>>>Except they would never stand for such long twaats.
>>>
>>>-sw

>>A long **** is unendurable, for sure. I'll work to improve what I
>>share with this august community. Even if it is September. And in
>>this effort I welcome any and all suggestions.

> I personally, am enjoying your reports, Mike.

I might enjoy them too if they were not in diary form and had actual
topics. I know modom does good stuff.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote:

> Gotta go tend the fire.

Fun read, thanks. :-)

Good luck with the bees and I hope your friend continues to do well...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 22:01:01 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> >This getting to be too Twitter-like, Modom.
> >
> >Except they would never stand for such long twaats.
> >
> >-sw

> A long **** is unendurable, for sure. I'll work to improve what I
> share with this august community. Even if it is September. And in
> this effort I welcome any and all suggestions.
>
> The brisket continues its evolution towards pastrami in the smoker pit
> out back. Lightening off to the west is cause for pause, but it
> appears to be moving away from us right now. The stuff off to the east
> and headed this way (I just saw it on local radar) might be more to
> the point. If smoking meat is the point. And right now it is.
>
> Dave -- our friend who survived what would kill most of us -- didn't
> show at the bar tonight. My friends who did seemed to like my habanero
> and apricot jam concoction on crackers. Probably it was the cream
> cheese.
>
> Oh dear, I've used too many characters! and there's still the issue of
> the bees. Well, maybe that'll wait till tomorrow.

He's not the moderator Modom.
And he didn't have to read it. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" ha scritto nel messaggio

> It was only last winter that I finally learned that he'd shot the> *******
> himself out at the college farm. "I wouldn't hang a trophy on> my wall
> that I didn't shoot," he told me. "I told him to leave, and he> didn't. So
> I killed him." > modom

Get him back on his feet, because I want that man. I have ten wild boar who
come into my garden and rip it up on a regular basis. They and an antelope
were there last night. They are vicious so I don't have the nerve to go out
in my nightie and say, "Shoo!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" ha scritto nel messaggio Sqwertz

> wrote:
>
>>This getting to be too Twitter-like, Modom.
>>
>>Except they would never stand for such long twaats.
>>
>>-sw

> A long **** is unendurable, for sure. I'll work to improve what I> share
> with this august community. Even if it is September. And in> this effort
> I welcome any and all suggestions.

Do not pander to those ADHD mental midgets!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "modom (palindrome guy)" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > It was only last winter that I finally learned that he'd shot the> *******
> > himself out at the college farm. "I wouldn't hang a trophy on> my wall
> > that I didn't shoot," he told me. "I told him to leave, and he> didn't. So
> > I killed him." > modom

> Get him back on his feet, because I want that man. I have ten wild boar who
> come into my garden and rip it up on a regular basis. They and an antelope
> were there last night. They are vicious so I don't have the nerve to go out
> in my nightie and say, "Shoo!"

You need a shotgun babe...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Giusi" > wrote:

I have ten wild boar who come into my garden and rip it up on a regular
basis. They and an antelope
>> were there last night. They are vicious so I don't have the nerve to go
>> out >> in my nightie and say, "Shoo!"

> You need a shotgun babe...

Believe me a shotgun would only irritate the ones I hit and all ten would
charge me. Cinghiali are a protected species and you need a special
license. I have to go into the forestry department office for cinghiali and
denounce them. They will send licensed hunters out with guns big enough to
kill them. The antelope gets off free.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> A friend of ours sprung a leak in his aorta back in the spring. Damn
> near died, he did.

He must have been near medical care, that usually takes you out.

I'm happy for you that he survived, and I hope he improves over
time.

> Dave teaches Ag Science. He can and will tell you more about hog
> reproduction than you ever wanted to know.

I'm sure he's extremely knowlegdable, but just about anyone knows
more about hog reproduction than I want to know. (laugh)

> In other news, I found another bee hive living in the wall of my house
> this afternoon. We had one removed from the north wall earlier in the
> summer. This one's in the west wall, but it's shaded most of the
> afternoon. Not too hot for honey bees. Obviously.
>
> The earlier hive produced two swarms this spring. I got a guy from the
> county extension to take care of them. He took one and gave me one.
> The swarm that the bee guy gave me left the box I had them in out at
> the community garden after a few weeks. One day they were just gone.
> No bees. None dead. None alive. The ridiculous prospect that we may
> have a case of homing bees has occurred to me.

If anyone's going to find their way home, it's honeybees, no? They're
all about finding stuff. They have that dance, there are flowers over
at Mike's, first you go left, then you go right?

Good luck.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 11 Sep 2009 08:40:20p, modom (palindrome guy) told us...

>> Oh dear, I've used too many characters! and there's still the issue
>> of the bees. Well, maybe that'll wait till tomorrow.

> You're listening to Sqwertz re the length of your post? I was
> enjoying the read.

Ditto. Do we get a say?

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "Omelet" ha scritto nel messaggio
> > "Giusi" > wrote:

> I have ten wild boar who come into my garden and rip it up on a regular
> basis. They and an antelope
> >> were there last night. They are vicious so I don't have the nerve to go
> >> out >> in my nightie and say, "Shoo!"

> > You need a shotgun babe...

> Believe me a shotgun would only irritate the ones I hit and all ten would
> charge me. Cinghiali are a protected species and you need a special
> license. I have to go into the forestry department office for cinghiali and
> denounce them. They will send licensed hunters out with guns big enough to
> kill them. The antelope gets off free.

So long as the problem gets taken care of... Too bad you can't have any
of the pork?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet">
So long as the problem gets taken care of... Too bad you can't have any >
of the pork?
> --
> Peace! Om

Some times I am given some. I have some in the freezer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "Omelet">
> So long as the problem gets taken care of... Too bad you can't have any >
> of the pork?
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Some times I am given some. I have some in the freezer.

Ah! That's a good thing. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 Sep 2009 13:31:30 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>Omelet > newsmpomelet-A6D40D.00532712092009@news-
>wc.giganews.com: in rec.food.cooking
>

>> He's not the moderator Modom.
>> And he didn't have to read it. ;-)

>I believe the last sentence says it all
>
>Michael

Sure to all that. But I got to write the following when I replied:

"A long **** is unendurable, for sure."

That has to count for something.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote:

> On 13 Sep 2009 13:31:30 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> > wrote:
>
> >Omelet > newsmpomelet-A6D40D.00532712092009@news-
> >wc.giganews.com: in rec.food.cooking
> >

> >> He's not the moderator Modom.
> >> And he didn't have to read it. ;-)

> >I believe the last sentence says it all
> >
> >Michael

> Sure to all that. But I got to write the following when I replied:
>
> "A long **** is unendurable, for sure."
>
> That has to count for something.

Good for a laugh if nothing else...

;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Got a new one today Kathi Jones[_2_] General Cooking 0 14-04-2010 03:17 AM
Comings and goings? Thomas Mooney Barbecue 1 22-11-2009 06:01 AM
Cow Hill goings on modom (palindrome guy)[_3_] General Cooking 3 05-09-2009 12:40 AM
Today Nick Cramer Diabetic 0 24-01-2009 07:30 AM
Aging meat to death? Eggs and other strange goings-on. A General Cooking 8 01-09-2004 05:09 AM