FoodBanter.com

-   -   The Taste Controversy (kinda long) (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/176780-re-taste-controversy-kinda.html)

The Ranger[_2_] 11-09-2009 02:18 PM

Paco > wrote in message

> The Taste Controversy Ends
> Based On the Results of a Study
> from the United States Venison Council
>

> Controversy has long raged about the relative quality and taste of
> venison and beef as gourmet foods. Some people say that venison is
> tough, with a strong "wild" taste.
> Others insist that venison's flavor is delicate. An independent food
> research group was retained by the Venison Council to conduct a taste
> test to determine the truth of these conflicting assertions once and for
> all.
> First, a Grade A Choice Holstein steer was chased into a swamp a mile
> and a half from the road and shot several times. After some of the
> entrails were removed, the carcass was dragged back over rocks and logs
> and through mud and dust to the road. It was then thrown into the back
> of a pickup truck and driven through rain and snow for 100 miles before
> being hung out in the sun for 10 days.
> After that it was lugged into a garage, where it was skinned and rolled
> around on the floor for a while. Strict sanitary precautions were
> observed throughout the test, within the limitations of the butchering
> environment. For instance, dogs and cats were allowed to sniff and lick
> the steer carcass, but were chased away when they attempted to bite
> chunks out of it.
> Next a sheet of plywood left from last year's butchering was set up in
> the basement on two saw horses. The pieces of dried blood, hair and fat
> left from last year were scraped off with a wire brush last used to
> clean out the grass stuck under the lawn mower.
> The skinned carcass was then dragged down the steps into the basement
> where a half dozen inexperienced but enthusiastic and intoxicated men
> worked on it with meat saws, cleavers and dull knives. The result was
> 375 pounds of soup bones, four bushel baskets of meat scraps, and a
> couple of steaks that were an eighth of an inch thick on one edge and an
> inch and a half thick on the other.
> The steaks were seared on a glowing red hot cast iron skillet to lock in
> the flavor. When the smoke cleared, rancid bacon grease was added along
> with three pounds of onions, and the whole conglomeration was fried for
> two hours.
> The meat was gently teased from the frying pan and served to three
> blindfolded taste panel volunteers. Every one of the members of the
> panel thought it was venison. One of the volunteers even said it tasted
> exactly like the venison he had eaten in hunting camps for the past 27
> years. The results of this scientific test show conclusively that there
> is no difference between the taste of beef and venison.

Damn that just as funny today as it was when I first saw it in email several
years ago. I just wish you'd been able to add the original author's name so
he continued to get credit, though.

The Ranger

Becca 11-09-2009 02:49 PM

The Ranger wrote:
>> The meat was gently teased from the frying pan and served to three
>> blindfolded taste panel volunteers. Every one of the members of the
>> panel thought it was venison. One of the volunteers even said it tasted
>> exactly like the venison he had eaten in hunting camps for the past 27
>> years. The results of this scientific test show conclusively that there
>> is no difference between the taste of beef and venison.
>>

> Damn that just as funny today as it was when I first saw it in email several
> years ago. I just wish you'd been able to add the original author's name so
> he continued to get credit, though.
>
> The Ranger

We have all read urban legends on the internet and I often wonder who
wrote them. The first one I read was about the guy who went to Ryan's
Steakhouse and he had diarrhea or the $250 Neiman Marcus chocolate chip
cookie recipe. It has been a while since anybody has posted that cookie
recipe to the group. Ooops, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it. lol

Becca

ffu[_3_] 11-09-2009 03:00 PM

REC The Taste Controversy (kinda long)

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 08:49:18 -0500, Becca > wrote:

-->The Ranger wrote:
-->>> The meat was gently teased from the frying pan and served to three
-->>> blindfolded taste panel volunteers. Every one of the members of the
-->>> panel thought it was venison. One of the volunteers even said it tasted
-->>> exactly like the venison he had eaten in hunting camps for the past 27
-->>> years. The results of this scientific test show conclusively that there
-->>> is no difference between the taste of beef and venison.
-->>>
-->>
-->> Damn that just as funny today as it was when I first saw it in email
several
-->> years ago. I just wish you'd been able to add the original author's name
so
-->> he continued to get credit, though.
-->>
-->> The Ranger
-->
-->
-->We have all read urban legends on the internet and I often wonder who
-->wrote them. The first one I read was about the guy who went to Ryan's
-->Steakhouse and he had diarrhea or the $250 Neiman Marcus chocolate chip
-->cookie recipe. It has been a while since anybody has posted that cookie
-->recipe to the group. Ooops, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it. lol
-->
-->
-->Becca

Yields 112 Cookies

1/2 lb Margarine
2 c Sugar
2 c Sugar brown
4 lg Eggs
8 oz Chocolate wafer - 1 bar
5 c Oatmeal dry
4 c All purpose flour
1 t Salt
1 t Baking Powder
2 ts Baking Soda
1/2 c Chocolate chips, semi-sweet
2 ts Vanilla extract
3 c Walnuts

Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla, mix with flour, oatmeal
(Blend oatmeal in blender to a fine powder first), salt, baking powder and
soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey bar and nuts, roll into balls and place
2 in apart on cookie sheet, bake 6 min. at 375 F

or this one

2 c Butter
1 t Salt
2 c Sugar
2 ts Baking Powder
2 c Brown sugar
2 ts Baking Soda
4 Eggs
4 oz Chocolate Chips
2 ts Vanilla
1 8-Oz Hershey Bar, grated
4 c Flour
3 c Chopped nuts
5 c Blended Oatmeal *

*Blended Oatmeal: Measure and blend in a blender to a fine powder. Cream
butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix together with flour,
oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add chips, candy and nuts.
Roll into balls and place two (2) inches apart on a cookie sheet. bake for
six (6) minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies, but recipe can halved.

ChattyCathy 11-09-2009 03:07 PM

Becca wrote:

> We have all read urban legends on the internet and I often wonder who
> wrote them. The first one I read was about the guy who went to Ryan's
> Steakhouse and he had diarrhea or the $250 Neiman Marcus chocolate
> chip
> cookie recipe. It has been a while since anybody has posted that
> cookie
> recipe to the group. Ooops, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it. lol

Er, no, you shouldn't have. See the rec.food.cooking FAQs:
"7. This has come up once too often...."

;-)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Paco[_4_] 14-09-2009 04:53 AM

The Taste Controversy (kinda long)

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
ndwidth...
> Paco > wrote in message
>
>> The Taste Controversy Ends
>> Based On the Results of a Study
>> from the United States Venison Council...

> Damn that just as funny today as it was when I first saw it in email
> several years ago. I just wish you'd been able to add the original
> author's name so he continued to get credit, though.
>
> The Ranger

I would have included names, if possible, but there was no mention in the
e-mail I received. Stewie researched it, maybe he found the original
author. It was funny, though. At least to people who have a sense of
humor.