Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default South African Foods

After Peter post about the shop he visted in Queensland I decided to
have a look around Perth for shops selling South African products.

Wow, I have already found 11 shops including a couple of butchers. I
suppose it stands to reason that we have quite a few, we have an ever
growing population of Southern Africans. I guess Western Australia
looks similar in many ways to some of RSA and very like some parts of
Botswana, Zim not so much. Also for the purposes of travel to visit
relatives we are four hours closer than the eastern seaboard.

Anyway, I have visted a couple so far. I bought some 5 Roses tea (the
kind that Cathy drinks), I have not tried it yet but it has the
approval of the grandsons (9 & 10). They make their own tea to their
own liking. Also got some Mrs Ball's Original Recipe Chutney, I like
it a lot, and some kick-arse biltong that I ate while drinking beer
and watching football. The dogs helped a little, although at first
they didn't really know what to make of it. "Hmmm, tastes like meat,
doesn't feel like meat. Soon got over that though, and were chewing
away like professionals!

This afternoon I will knock off early and visit a South African
butcher. He says he has the best biltong in the state. I will also
pick up some Boerewors and some sosaties. Unfortunately all the
biltong is beef, no Kudu or other antelope.

JB
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Golden One > wrote in news:e9c617b6-3a2e-43c1-9699-
:

> After Peter post about the shop he visted in Queensland I decided to
> have a look around Perth for shops selling South African products.
>
> Wow, I have already found 11 shops including a couple of butchers. I
> suppose it stands to reason that we have quite a few, we have an ever
> growing population of Southern Africans.

The RSA 'invasion' started back in the early 80's and was in full swing when
I left there in '89.

It started out with quite a lot of Rhodesians when Mugabe turned the country
from green farmland to an arid wasteland, and continued with RSA ex-pats
fleeing when the blacks took over there.

> I guess Western Australia
> looks similar in many ways to some of RSA and very like some parts of
> Botswana, Zim not so much. Also for the purposes of travel to visit
> relatives we are four hours closer than the eastern seaboard.

I think they just liked the hot air and sand :-)

At one stage there was me and about 2 other Aussies families, a family of
Poles, and about 10 families of Rhodesians and RSA's in our little 'alcove'.
(Bordered by Urawa Rd, Kenny Dve, and Nalpa Way..... Duncraig.)

> Anyway, I have visted a couple so far. I bought some 5 Roses tea (the
> kind that Cathy drinks), I have not tried it yet but it has the
> approval of the grandsons (9 & 10). They make their own tea to their
> own liking. Also got some Mrs Ball's Original Recipe Chutney, I like
> it a lot, and some kick-arse biltong that I ate while drinking beer
> and watching football.

LOL!! I went through a whole packet doing the same thing!! No pooches in the
house though.

What brand is yours??

> The dogs helped a little, although at first
> they didn't really know what to make of it. "Hmmm, tastes like meat,
> doesn't feel like meat. Soon got over that though, and were chewing
> away like professionals!

Save the biltong for yourself and give the damn dogs pigs ears!! :-)

> This afternoon I will knock off early and visit a South African
> butcher. He says he has the best biltong in the state. I will also
> pick up some Boerewors and some sosaties. Unfortunately all the
> biltong is beef, no Kudu or other antelope.

I'm trying to convince my Boerwors dude to do 'private' biltong, with Roo,
pig, Buffalo, whatever...... he does his own, but is a bit worried with
selling it. Somthing to do with legalities etc.... piffle!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 9, 12:11*pm, PeterL > wrote:
> Golden One > wrote in news:e9c617b6-3a2e-43c1-9699-
> :
>
> > After Peter post about the shop he visted in Queensland I decided to
> > have a look around Perth for shops selling South African products.

> > Wow, I have already found 11 shops including a couple of butchers. I
> > suppose it stands to reason that we have quite a few, we have an ever
> > growing population of Southern Africans.

> The RSA 'invasion' started back in the early 80's and was in full swing when
> I left there in '89.
>
> It started out with quite a lot of Rhodesians when Mugabe turned the country
> from green farmland to an arid wasteland, and continued with RSA ex-pats
> fleeing when the blacks took over there.
>
> > I guess Western Australia
> > looks similar in many ways to some of RSA and very like some parts of
> > Botswana, Zim not so much. Also for the purposes of travel to visit
> > relatives we are four hours closer than the eastern seaboard.

> I think they just liked the hot air and sand :-)

That too. I know of several South Africans who have started eco tour
businesses running tours to the middle of nowhere.

> At one stage there was me and about 2 other Aussies families, a family of
> Poles, and about 10 families of Rhodesians and RSA's in our little 'alcove'.
> (Bordered by Urawa Rd, Kenny Dve, and Nalpa Way..... Duncraig.)
>

> > Anyway, I have visted a couple so far. I bought some 5 Roses tea (the
> > kind that Cathy drinks), I have not tried it yet but it has the
> > approval of the grandsons (9 & 10). They make their own tea to their
> > own liking. Also got some Mrs Ball's Original Recipe Chutney, I like
> > it a lot, and some kick-arse biltong that I ate while drinking beer
> > and watching football.

> LOL!! I went through a whole packet doing the same thing!! No pooches in the
> house though.
>
> What brand is yours??

Stellar ;-)

Only joking, it didn't come in a packet. Got it from a South African
butcher who has hunks of it hanging. He then chops or shaves it up for
you. Fantastic. I just nicked out and bought some more, now I am
munching biltong at my desk. Most of my colleagues think it's gross.
Some of them haven't tried it, how do they "know" it's gross?

> > The dogs helped a little, although at first
> > they didn't really know what to make of it. "Hmmm, tastes like meat,
> > doesn't feel like meat. Soon got over that though, and were chewing
> > away like professionals!

> Save the biltong for yourself and give the damn dogs pigs ears!! *:-)

I am a sucker for those brown eyes.

> > This afternoon I will knock off early and visit a South African
> > butcher. He says he has the best biltong in the state. I will also
> > pick up some Boerewors and some sosaties. Unfortunately all the
> > biltong is beef, no Kudu or other antelope.

As you can see from above, I couldn't wait until later. I have already
been to the butcher and picked up lamb sosaties, a piece of biltong
that he sliced and put in a paper bag (sort of like a snack food), a
skinny Boerewors and a hunk of aged rump. Not sure what I will do with
the rump, but being prime aged beef should probably just go au
naturel, flavour should be fantastic. Seems like a waste to use it for
stir fry or similar.

> I'm trying to convince my Boerwors dude to do 'private' biltong, with Roo,
> pig, Buffalo, whatever...... he does his own, but is a bit worried with
> selling it. Somthing to do with legalities etc.... piffle!!

Roo would probably be interesting. The best I have ever had was made
by a lady I know in Botswana. She usually used game meat, mostly
antelope. At sunset a group of us would walk down to the dry riverbed
behind her house and drink beer, eat biltong and watch the sunset. The
riverbed was one of the collest places to be, and even though dry,
water was just under the surface. My toes told me.

JB

> --
> Peter Lucas * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> Brisbane * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> Australia * * *
>
> If we are not meant to eat animals,
> why are they made of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default PING: Golden One South African Foods

Golden One > wrote in
:

http://i31.tinypic.com/10d9i13.jpg

Smokey biltong and Bighead beer........ Australias first no-carb beer.

http://www.bigheadbeer.com.au/

They go well together whislt making cheesecake :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Golden One wrote:

> On Sep 9, 12:11Â*pm, PeterL > wrote:
>> Golden One > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > After Peter post about the shop he visted in Queensland I decided
>> > to have a look around Perth for shops selling South African
>> > products.

Good to hear, JB!

<snipped for space>

>> > Anyway, I have visted a couple so far. I bought some 5 Roses tea
>> > (the kind that Cathy drinks), I have not tried it yet but it has
>> > the approval of the grandsons (9 & 10). They make their own tea to
>> > their own liking. Also got some Mrs Ball's Original Recipe Chutney,
>> > I like it a lot, and some kick-arse biltong that I ate while
>> > drinking beer and watching football.

Heh. You sure you don't have some South African genes too? ;-)

>> LOL!! I went through a whole packet doing the same thing!! No pooches
>> in the house though.

Yabut, Peter you're a confirmed biltong/boerewors fan <eg>

>> What brand is yours??

> Stellar ;-)
>
> Only joking, it didn't come in a packet. Got it from a South African
> butcher who has hunks of it hanging. He then chops or shaves it up for
> you. Fantastic. I just nicked out and bought some more, now I am
> munching biltong at my desk. Most of my colleagues think it's gross.
> Some of them haven't tried it, how do they "know" it's gross?

Glad you like it, but some people finding it 'gross' doesn't surprise me
in the slightest. Visitors to SA have mixed reactions about biltong;
some are willing to try it - and other's aren't. Some like it, some
don't. Well, more for us ;-)

>> > The dogs helped a little, although at first
>> > they didn't really know what to make of it. "Hmmm, tastes like
>> > meat, doesn't feel like meat. Soon got over that though, and were
>> > chewing away like professionals!

Doesn't take 'em long...

>> Save the biltong for yourself and give the damn dogs pigs ears!! Â*:-)

> I am a sucker for those brown eyes.

Me too.

> As you can see from above, I couldn't wait until later. I have already
> been to the butcher and picked up lamb sosaties, a piece of biltong
> that he sliced and put in a paper bag (sort of like a snack food), a
> skinny Boerewors and a hunk of aged rump. Not sure what I will do with
> the rump, but being prime aged beef should probably just go au
> naturel, flavour should be fantastic. Seems like a waste to use it for
> stir fry or similar.
>

>> I'm trying to convince my Boerwors dude to do 'private' biltong, with
>> Roo, pig, Buffalo, whatever...... he does his own, but is a bit
>> worried with selling it. Somthing to do with legalities etc....
>> piffle!!

Wonder what 'legalities' he's on about? People have been salting/drying
meat for centuries... Of course biltong is a bit more spicy.

> Roo would probably be interesting. The best I have ever had was made
> by a lady I know in Botswana. She usually used game meat, mostly
> antelope. At sunset a group of us would walk down to the dry riverbed
> behind her house and drink beer, eat biltong and watch the sunset. The
> riverbed was one of the collest places to be, and even though dry,
> water was just under the surface. My toes told me.

Ahhhh. Sounds like a perfect end to the day.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 9, 4:02*pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> Golden One wrote:
> > On Sep 9, 12:11*pm, PeterL > wrote:
> >> Golden One > wrote in
> >> :

<snipped>.

> Heh. You sure you don't have some SouthAfricangenes too? ;-)

Warning, crudity to follow............

Many years ago I had some South African genes in me. Oh, that's not
what you meant ;-)

<snip>

> Wonder what 'legalities' he's on about? People have been salting/drying
> meat for centuries... Of course biltong is a bit more spicy.

Probably the legalities attached to commercial food prep and sales.

> > Roo would probably be interesting. The best I have ever had was made
> > by a lady I know in Botswana. She usually used game meat, mostly
> > antelope. At sunset a group of us would walk down to the dry riverbed
> > behind her house and drink beer, eat biltong and watch the sunset. The
> > riverbed was one of the collest places to be, and even though dry,
> > water was just under the surface. My toes told me.

> Ahhhh. Sounds like a perfect end to the day.

Some of my most perfect memories have come from time spent alone
travelling in South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe. Like being in a
canoe close enough to a wild elephant that it could have plucked my
head from my shoulders, and being able to get mobile phone coverage to
call my husband from Victoria Falls. The last one made me cry with the
sheer raw beauty and the absurdity of being there with a cell phone,
alone.

Talking about absurd, I once met a young man selling copper bracelets
on the bridge between Zim and Zambia, his grandfather made them from
stolen copper wire. He recited the name of every Australian Prime
Minister since federation, in order. I bought all his bracelets.

Then there was the professional hunter who showed me his scars from a
lion attack!

JB

> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote in news:qiJpm.219445$zq1.129211
@newsfe22.iad:

>>> LOL!! I went through a whole packet doing the same thing!! No pooches
>>> in the house though.

> Yabut, Peter you're a confirmed biltong/boerewors fan <eg>

That I am.

It's funny how you pick up an international dish now and then in your travels
and you always want it wherever you are for the rest of your life.

I'm that way with (good) biltong, boerwors, and fried rice.

I had the 3 of them in the mid-late 70's and have always craved them since.

Up till just recently, I didn't think I'd ever be able to taste really
authentic (makan stall) fried rice from Malaysia........ but all is forgiven
(or forgotten) and I'm allowed to travel there again.

I'm not going to push it for RSA and Zim though ;-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Golden One wrote:
> After Peter post about the shop he visted in Queensland I decided to
> have a look around Perth for shops selling South African products.
>
> Wow, I have already found 11 shops including a couple of butchers. I
> suppose it stands to reason that we have quite a few, we have an ever
> growing population of Southern Africans. I guess Western Australia
> looks similar in many ways to some of RSA and very like some parts of
> Botswana, Zim not so much. Also for the purposes of travel to visit
> relatives we are four hours closer than the eastern seaboard.
>
> Anyway, I have visted a couple so far. I bought some 5 Roses tea (the
> kind that Cathy drinks), I have not tried it yet but it has the
> approval of the grandsons (9 & 10). They make their own tea to their
> own liking. Also got some Mrs Ball's Original Recipe Chutney, I like
> it a lot, and some kick-arse biltong that I ate while drinking beer
> and watching football. The dogs helped a little, although at first
> they didn't really know what to make of it. "Hmmm, tastes like meat,
> doesn't feel like meat. Soon got over that though, and were chewing
> away like professionals!
>
> This afternoon I will knock off early and visit a South African
> butcher. He says he has the best biltong in the state. I will also
> pick up some Boerewors and some sosaties. Unfortunately all the
> biltong is beef, no Kudu or other antelope.
>
> JB

Heading to Perth Shortly
Where is this wonderful shop ?
Certainly looks worthy of a visit .

We have a good SA Zim Butcher over in Geraldton .
And is kind enough not to rub in the Rugby Result

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 11, 1:53*pm, "Phil..c" <invalid@invalid> wrote:
> GoldenOnewrote:
> > After Peter post about the shop he visted in Queensland I decided to
> > have a look around Perth for shops selling South African products.

> > Wow, I have already found 11 shops including a couple of butchers. I
> > suppose it stands to reason that we have quite a few, we have an ever
> > growing population of Southern Africans. I guess Western Australia
> > looks similar in many ways to some of RSA and very like some parts of
> > Botswana, Zim not so much. Also for the purposes of travel to visit
> > relatives we are four hours closer than the eastern seaboard.

> > Anyway, I have visted a couple so far. I bought some 5 Roses tea (the
> > kind that Cathy drinks), I have not tried it yet but it has the
> > approval of the grandsons (9 & 10). They make their own tea to their
> > own liking. Also got some Mrs Ball's Original Recipe Chutney, I like
> > it a lot, and some kick-arse biltong that I ate while drinking beer
> > and watching football. The dogs helped a little, although at first
> > they didn't really know what to make of it. "Hmmm, tastes like meat,
> > doesn't feel like meat. Soon got over that though, and were chewing
> > away like professionals!

> > This afternoon I will knock off early and visit a South African
> > butcher. He says he has the best biltong in the state. I will also
> > pick up some Boerewors and some sosaties. Unfortunately all the
> > biltong is beef, no Kudu or other antelope.

> > JB

> Heading to Perth Shortly
> Where is this wonderful shop *?
> Certainly looks *worthy of a visit .
>
> We have a good SA *Zim *Butcher over in Geraldton .
> And is kind enough not to rub in the Rugby Result *- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, I missed this.

The butcher is on the corner of Orrong Road and President Street in
Welshpool/Carlisle. If travelling east, away from the city, it is on
the right hand side before you get to Leach Highway.

There is also a shop selling SA products on South Street in Canning
Vale, if travelling east from Kwinana Freeway it is just before
Bannister Road on the left.

I am going to try a few more soon and will let you know what they are
like.

JB

South African BBQ el camino real[_2_] General Cooking 0 27-08-2015 08:48 PM
South African BBQ el camino real[_2_] Barbecue 0 27-08-2015 08:48 PM
South African Restaurants Mike[_55_] General Cooking 0 16-05-2010 06:14 PM
South African bbq Zz Yzx Barbecue 3 12-02-2008 01:23 AM
South African Chocolate Sue Chocolate 4 22-03-2004 11:08 AM