Posted to rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Smoked Ribs
>
> Another day
>
> Grilled steak & grilled corn.
>
> You?
>
> Dimitri

Sloppy Joe's...what else? LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Holiday cooking

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 11:28:34 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>One of the days:
>
>Pulled smoked Pork
>
>Another day
>
>Burgers
>
>Another day
>
>Smoked Ribs
>
>Another day
>
>Grilled steak & grilled corn.
>
>You?
>
>Dimitri

I am not sure what days we'll have what, and one dinner will be at a
restaurant near Rutgers when we re-visit the kid who forgot some of
his stuff when he moved back to school last weekend...

Boneless leg of lamb, marinated in yogurt, garlic and rosemary.

Corn, avocado and basil salad

Stuffed tenderloin pork chops from Heritage Meats

Polenta with gorgonzola and sage butter

2-3 different home made breads

Some home made cookies and other sweets

Leftover venison that was braised with leeks, prunes and nectarines

And I think I will counter all of this with a few hours of exercise.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>One of the days:
>
>Pulled smoked Pork
>
>Another day
>
>Burgers
>
>Another day
>
>Smoked Ribs
>
>Another day
>
>Grilled steak & grilled corn.
>
>You?
>
>Dimitri

Just curious... how much of the clan is gathering at your house this
weekend?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> I am not sure what days we'll have what, and one dinner will be at a
> restaurant near Rutgers when we re-visit the kid who forgot some of
> his stuff when he moved back to school last weekend...

Frog and the Peach? Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Sep 3, 1:14 pm, Ranée at Arabian Knits >
wrote:
> [snip]
> I'm actually bringing the bacon
> burger back from our butcher when I go on a trip this weekend. They
> grind bacon up with the beef and it is wonderful.

Really?! Sounds terrific, but I wonder whether the bacon and its fat
cook thoroughly enough without overcooking the burger?

I sometimes mix a little sausage into the meat for burgers but when I
do that I cook them more than when it's just beef. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 11:28:34 -0700, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
>>One of the days:
>>
>>Pulled smoked Pork
>>
>>Another day
>>
>>Burgers
>>
>>Another day
>>
>>Smoked Ribs
>>
>>Another day
>>
>>Grilled steak & grilled corn.
>>
>>You?
>>
>>Dimitri
>>

> Just curious... how much of the clan is gathering at your house this
> weekend?

Very small batch this year we only have # 4, her husband and her 3 kids +
the 3 of us. They were ORDERED by their doctors to leave LA because of the
smoke and their medical condition. They came in yesterday complete with
school assignments. 4 more are a definite maybe.

It's OK Kate (age 6 can eat ribs lake any grown man I know) LOL.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> One of the days:
>
> Pulled smoked Pork
>
> Another day
>
> Burgers
>
> Another day
>
> Smoked Ribs
>
> Another day
>
> Grilled steak & grilled corn.
>
> You?
>
> Dimitri

Had to think for a second, what holiday LOL. Haven't even had my summer
yet and the shops are full of Hallowe'en and Christmas.

Might throw something on the grill. Might be cooking for Christine. Who
knows
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> One of the days:
>
> Pulled smoked Pork
>
> Another day
>
> Burgers
> Another day
>
> Smoked Ribs
>
> Another day
>
> Grilled steak & grilled corn.
>
> You?
>
> Dimitri

My once-a-year corndog at the fair.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 16:30:31 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> I am not sure what days we'll have what, and one dinner will be at a
>> restaurant near Rutgers when we re-visit the kid who forgot some of
>> his stuff when he moved back to school last weekend...

>Frog and the Peach? Heh.
>
>nancy

I have only been there once and it was terrific, but damned if I will
take all 3 kids there at those prices (they aren't really kids,
anymore, anyway.) I'd save that for a romantic dinner for two. Have
you been there?

We have found such fabulous restaurants down there...Ethiopian,,
Greek, Korean, Vietnamese, Turkish, Indian. I am thrilled the kid will
be there through his Masters.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 16:30:31 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>>> I am not sure what days we'll have what, and one dinner will be at a
>>> restaurant near Rutgers when we re-visit the kid who forgot some of
>>> his stuff when he moved back to school last weekend...

>> Frog and the Peach? Heh.

> I have only been there once and it was terrific, but damned if I will
> take all 3 kids there at those prices

That's why I laughed, it's not quite the type of place I'd take the
college kid for a bite to eat.

> (they aren't really kids,
> anymore, anyway.) I'd save that for a romantic dinner for two. Have
> you been there?

My brother had his wedding there.

> We have found such fabulous restaurants down there...Ethiopian,,
> Greek, Korean, Vietnamese, Turkish, Indian. I am thrilled the kid will
> be there through his Masters.

Oh, no kidding. I mean, I'm sure there are a lot of ethnic restaurants
around that town, we rarely go there and when we do, we just pop into
Harvest Moon or something.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 20:37:28 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 16:30:31 -0400, "Nancy Young"
>> > wrote:

>>> Frog and the Peach? Heh.

>> I have only been there once and it was terrific, but damned if I will
>> take all 3 kids there at those prices

>That's why I laughed, it's not quite the type of place I'd take the
>college kid for a bite to eat.

These kids have been raised in this goofy gour-may house and they'd
love it. Of course, they have also been known to stay up all night to
be the among the first to drive through Sonic when it opened up here.

>> (they aren't really kids,
>> anymore, anyway.) I'd save that for a romantic dinner for two. Have
>> you been there?

>My brother had his wedding there.

Oh! That must have been fabulous.

>> We have found such fabulous restaurants down there...Ethiopian,,
>> Greek, Korean, Vietnamese, Turkish, Indian. I am thrilled the kid will
>> be there through his Masters.

>Oh, no kidding. I mean, I'm sure there are a lot of ethnic restaurants
>around that town, we rarely go there and when we do, we just pop into
>Harvest Moon or something.
>
>nancy

Ha! None of us imbibes. No judgment call on it, none of us likes the
taste of alcohol. Are the burgers good there?

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> One of the days:
>
> Pulled smoked Pork
>
> Another day
>
> Burgers
> Another day
>
> Smoked Ribs
>
> Another day
>
> Grilled steak & grilled corn.
>
> You?

I got some beef short ribs that I need to figure out what to do with. They
seem like a winter meal if braised. I got a couple of filet mignons, some
corn on the cob since the season will be over soon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 20:37:28 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:

>> That's why I laughed, it's not quite the type of place I'd take the
>> college kid for a bite to eat.

> These kids have been raised in this goofy gour-may house and they'd
> love it.

I'm sure they would.

>> Of course, they have also been known to stay up all night to

> be the among the first to drive through Sonic when it opened up here.
>>
>>> (they aren't really kids,
>>> anymore, anyway.) I'd save that for a romantic dinner for two. Have
>>> you been there?

>> My brother had his wedding there.

> Oh! That must have been fabulous.

It was very nice. The food was wonderful. It was a small wedding,
just family and a few friends. My lovely sil is from Canada, and only
her brother's family was able to attend.

>>> We have found such fabulous restaurants down there...Ethiopian,,
>>> Greek, Korean, Vietnamese, Turkish, Indian. I am thrilled the kid
>>> will be there through his Masters.

>> Oh, no kidding. I mean, I'm sure there are a lot of ethnic
>> restaurants around that town, we rarely go there and when we do, we
>> just pop into Harvest Moon or something.

> Ha! None of us imbibes. No judgment call on it, none of us likes the
> taste of alcohol. Are the burgers good there?

I don't know that I've ever had a burger ... I happen to like pub food,
so I'm definitely not saying you should go there. It's just the kind of
place I like. It can be very noisy. Sounds to me as if you've found
great places to eat.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> [snip]
> I'm actually bringing the bacon
> burger back from our butcher when I go on a trip this weekend. They
> grind bacon up with the beef and it is wonderful.

Really?! Sounds terrific, but I wonder whether the bacon and its fat
cook thoroughly enough without overcooking the burger?

I sometimes mix a little sausage into the meat for burgers but when I
do that I cook them more than when it's just beef. -aem

_______________________________________

I thought about grinding beef with bacon too. Never thought about how well
done it would cook, but then again, I tend to cook bacon so that it's still
a little limp. I've never gotten sick from it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> One of the days:
>
> Pulled smoked Pork
>
> Another day
>
> Burgers
> Another day
>
> Smoked Ribs
>
> Another day
>
> Grilled steak & grilled corn.
>
> You?

Originally, I was going to be working every night until mid-September, but
our schedule changed so that I have Monday and Tuesday off. This is my
very-tentative Labor Day menu:

Sangría
Gazpacho
Squid Salad with Avocado
Grilled Ribeye Steak with Cabrales Butter
Zucchini with Garlic, Onions, and Oregano
Lemon-Berry Flan

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Originally, I was going to be working every night until mid-September,
> but our schedule changed so that I have Monday and Tuesday off. This is
> my very-tentative Labor Day menu:
>
> Sangría
> Gazpacho
> Squid Salad with Avocado
> Grilled Ribeye Steak with Cabrales Butter
> Zucchini with Garlic, Onions, and Oregano
> Lemon-Berry Flan
>

> Bob

Nice summer menu there. Looks great.

I did a dinner for 15 or so this past weekend. I was assuming it would be
cool weather so there was some deep fried apps and some oven based stuff.
Then the weather got HOT very quickly. Bat Turn! Menu changed the day
before to something much like yours so the guests didn't have to up
with a hot house.

The high point of the night was when one guy was taking the cucumber
gazpacho cups and tossing them back like shots. Then someone explained
to him that you're supposed to eat the whole thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

RegForte wrote:

> The high point of the night was when one guy was taking the cucumber
> gazpacho cups and tossing them back like shots. Then someone explained to
> him that you're supposed to eat the whole thing.

HA!

One of my coworkers tells this story: He went to a seafood buffet where he
was given a bucket in which he was supposed to put the discarded shells from
the seafood he ate. Misunderstanding what the bucket was for, he started to
walk up to the buffet with bucket in hand. One of the wait staff stopped him
and asked, "Say, Mister, are you going to milk a cow?"

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
aem > wrote:

> On Sep 3, 1:14 pm, Ranée at Arabian Knits >
> wrote:
> > [snip]
> > I'm actually bringing the bacon
> > burger back from our butcher when I go on a trip this weekend. They
> > grind bacon up with the beef and it is wonderful.
> >

> Really?! Sounds terrific, but I wonder whether the bacon and its fat
> cook thoroughly enough without overcooking the burger?
>
> I sometimes mix a little sausage into the meat for burgers but when I
> do that I cook them more than when it's just beef. -aem

I have to wonder how crumbling pre-cooked bacon into raw hamburger prior
to cooking would work?

I'd just rather serve bacon as part of the sandwich and not mix it in,
but that's just me.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> > One of the days:
> >
> > Pulled smoked Pork
> >
> > Another day
> >
> > Burgers
> > Another day
> >
> > Smoked Ribs
> >
> > Another day
> >
> > Grilled steak & grilled corn.
> >
> > You?
> >

> I got some beef short ribs that I need to figure out what to do with. They
> seem like a winter meal if braised. I got a couple of filet mignons, some
> corn on the cob since the season will be over soon.

You could braise the ribs to tenderize them, then finish them on the
grill. That's worked really well for me with large beef ribs.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> "aem" > wrote in message
> On Sep 3, 1:14 pm, Ranée at Arabian Knits >
> wrote:
> > [snip]
> > I'm actually bringing the bacon
> > burger back from our butcher when I go on a trip this weekend. They
> > grind bacon up with the beef and it is wonderful.
> >

> Really?! Sounds terrific, but I wonder whether the bacon and its fat
> cook thoroughly enough without overcooking the burger?
>
> I sometimes mix a little sausage into the meat for burgers but when I
> do that I cook them more than when it's just beef. -aem
>
> _______________________________________
>
> I thought about grinding beef with bacon too. Never thought about how well
> done it would cook, but then again, I tend to cook bacon so that it's still
> a little limp. I've never gotten sick from it.

There are people on this list that eat raw bacon. <g>
I imagine that the curing process would kill any bugs?

I've not tried it yet but considering how much I respect the tastes of
one of the people that does it, I'm likely to try it here soon...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> One of the days:
>
> Pulled smoked Pork
>
> Another day
>
> Burgers
> Another day
>
> Smoked Ribs
>
> Another day
>
> Grilled steak & grilled corn.

Yum.

> You?

You don't want to know. (I mean, I'm fine with it, but I'd be laughed
off the group if I described what I've been eating these days.)

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
>> One of the days:
>>
>> Pulled smoked Pork
>>
>> Another day
>>
>> Burgers
>> Another day
>>
>> Smoked Ribs
>>
>> Another day
>>
>> Grilled steak & grilled corn.

> Yum.
>

>> You?

> You don't want to know. (I mean, I'm fine with it, but I'd be laughed off
> the group if I described what I've been eating these days.)
>
> Serene

I want to know! I won't laugh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> I got some beef short ribs that I need to figure out what to do with.
> They seem like a winter meal if braised.

Kalbi! They're Korean short ribs.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/97234/ka...rean-ribs.html is a fairly typical
recipe for cooking them. But it's important to get the correct cut of short
ribs, because the two cuts have different cooking characteristics. For this
recipe, you want the "flanken" cut, which looks like this:

http://www.recipetips.com/images/glo...bs_flanken.jpg

You *don't* want the "English" cut, which looks like this:

http://aggiemeat.tamu.edu/judging/20...ort%20Ribs.jpg

If you have the English cut short ribs, then you might consider barbecuing
them: Low heat with high humidity (you could put a pan of water in with
them) and plenty of smoke. Around here, red oak is the beef-barbecue wood
smoke of choice.

Bob

Member

Last weekend i made chicken and its way really yummy! Here is the Recipe:

Organic Chicken Under a Brick:

Serves 3-4

Ingredients:
1 organic chicken
1/3 cup of olive oil
16 garlic cloves smashed with the back of a knife, skins removed
2 branches of thyme
grey sea salt with Herbs de Provence
fresh cracked pepper

3 lemons halved
Method:
Rinse chicken underneath cool water and pat dry with paper towel.
Using kitchen shears, cut out the backbone of the bird by cutting along one side of the backbone and then along the other side (do not confuse with the breast bone which is between the chicken breasts). Save and freeze backbone to make chicken stock.
Heat olive oil in a sauce pan over medium low heat, add the thyme branches. Slowly bring oil to a simmer and stew for about 20 - 25 minutes until the garlic is soft. Using a slotted spoon remove the garlic cloves from the oil and let cool. Set oil aside.
Bring a grill or cast-iron grill pan to medium high heat. Wrap two bricks in aluminum foil.
Once garlic has cooled, loosen the skin around the chicken breasts, legs and wings with your fingers or a small pairing knife. You will have to cut small slits in the thighs and the wings to loosen the skin. Place stewed garlic underneath the skin of the breast, legs, and wings.
Brush chicken with garlic and herbed olive oil, and salt and pepper bird to taste, using the grey sea salt.
Once grill is ready brush with any remaining herbed olive oil. Transfer whole chicken to grill, skin side down and place bricks on top of the chickens. Grill chicken about 10-15 minutes per side until the chicken is tender and the juices run clear when pierced with a small knife.

About half way to three-quarters through the cooking time brush the lemon halves with garlic and herbed olive oil and place on grill flesh side down. Grill about 5 minutes until there are nice grill marks on the lemons.
Once chick is done, serve with grilled lemons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sirilucky wrote:

> Using kitchen shears, cut out the backbone of the bird by cutting along
> one side of the backbone and then along the other side (do not confuse
> with the breast bone which is between the chicken breasts).

<snip remainder of great recipe>

Heh... I know someone who did cut out the breastbone, thinking she was
butterflying the chicken.

I do like making chicken under a brick, and it's particularly nice that you
can make it even in a bare-bones kitchen setup (like an extended stay hotel
with a kitchenette).

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"RegForte" > wrote in message
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
>> Originally, I was going to be working every night until mid-September,
>> but our schedule changed so that I have Monday and Tuesday off. This is
>> my very-tentative Labor Day menu:
>>
>> Sangría
>> Gazpacho
>> Squid Salad with Avocado
>> Grilled Ribeye Steak with Cabrales Butter
>> Zucchini with Garlic, Onions, and Oregano
>> Lemon-Berry Flan
>>

>> Bob

> Nice summer menu there. Looks great.
>
> I did a dinner for 15 or so this past weekend. I was assuming it would be
> cool weather so there was some deep fried apps and some oven based stuff.
> Then the weather got HOT very quickly. Bat Turn! Menu changed the day
> before to something much like yours so the guests didn't have to up
> with a hot house.
>
> The high point of the night was when one guy was taking the cucumber
> gazpacho cups and tossing them back like shots. Then someone explained
> to him that you're supposed to eat the whole thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"RegForteLYING" wrote:
> Bob TwilLIAR wrote:
>
>> Originally, I was going to be working every night until mid-September,
>> but our schedule changed so that I have Monday and Tuesday off. This is
>> my very-tentative Labor Day menu:
>>
>> Sangría
>> Gazpacho
>> Squid Salad with Avocado
>> Grilled Ribeye Steak with Cabrales Butter
>> Zucchini with Garlic, Onions, and Oregano
>> Lemon-Berry Flan
>>

> Looks great.

You can see it, I see noting but empty gum flapping words.

> I did a dinner for 15 or so this past weekend.

Happy Meal take out for fifteen, eh... I can't see a thing... LIAR!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 00:30:43 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Omelet
> wrote,
>I have to wonder how crumbling pre-cooked bacon into raw hamburger prior
>to cooking would work?
>
>I'd just rather serve bacon as part of the sandwich and not mix it in,
>but that's just me.

Part of the attraction of a sandwich is the structure of the thing;
a layer of this and a slice of that. Crumbling and mixing would be
a loss.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"David Harmon" > wrote in message
m...
> On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 00:30:43 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Omelet
> > wrote,
>>I have to wonder how crumbling pre-cooked bacon into raw hamburger prior
>>to cooking would work?
>>
>>I'd just rather serve bacon as part of the sandwich and not mix it in,
>>but that's just me.

> Part of the attraction of a sandwich is the structure of the thing;
> a layer of this and a slice of that. Crumbling and mixing would be
> a loss.

That's not a reason, many great sandwiches are made with a blend, ain't ya
ever heard of tuna salad sammich, how about meat loaf/meatball, sloppy joe,
a tube steak onna bun is probably the most popular blended ingredients
sandwich on the planet, the scary part is what's blended in the tubesteak...
the choices are infinite. It's that cooked bacon mixed with raw ground meat
is just not a very smart culinary move on many levels.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Cheryl" > wrote:
>>
>> I got some beef short ribs that I need to figure out what to do with.
>> They
>> seem like a winter meal if braised. I got a couple of filet mignons,
>> some
>> corn on the cob since the season will be over soon.
>>

> You could braise the ribs to tenderize them, then finish them on the
> grill. That's worked really well for me with large beef ribs.

I might try that. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Cheryl wrote:
>
>> I got some beef short ribs that I need to figure out what to do with.
>> They seem like a winter meal if braised.

> Kalbi! They're Korean short ribs.
>
> http://www.grouprecipes.com/97234/ka...rean-ribs.html is a fairly
> typical
> recipe for cooking them. But it's important to get the correct cut of
> short
> ribs, because the two cuts have different cooking characteristics. For
> this
> recipe, you want the "flanken" cut, which looks like this:
>
> http://www.recipetips.com/images/glo...bs_flanken.jpg
>
> You *don't* want the "English" cut, which looks like this:
>
> http://aggiemeat.tamu.edu/judging/20...ort%20Ribs.jpg
>
> If you have the English cut short ribs, then you might consider barbecuing
> them: Low heat with high humidity (you could put a pan of water in with
> them) and plenty of smoke. Around here, red oak is the beef-barbecue wood
> smoke of choice.

Based on your pictures, definitely "English" cut. I could try barbecuing
them, but I have a gas grill. The humidity part should work, though.
Thanks for the ideas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> Heh... I know someone who did cut out the breastbone, thinking she was
> butterflying the chicken.

Why wouldn't it be butterflying? For cooking purposes, the result would
be the same. Actually, just splitting the breast/keel bone would be
enough.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> One of the days:

<snipped menu>> Grilled steak & grilled corn.

> You?

Tonight, the dineer I was going to make last night, but had tp postpone
so I could repair the dishwasher.

Stuffed Zucchini
pan tossed mushroom medley
simple tuna pasta
cantaloupe

Saturday:
lunch - pick up goodies from the St. Nicholas G.O. Church annual Greek
Festival

Dinner - Grilled chili stacker burgers, leftover cantaloupe

Sunday: Pizza sauce from fresh tomatoes from the garden as afternoon
project
Not sure on Dinner

Monday: smoked pork steaks (it's a StL thing).

jt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jt august wrote:

> Monday: smoked pork steaks (it's a StL thing).
>
> jt

Please splain to me...

Do this denote grilling pork steaks in the presence
of smoke? or what?

I'm here to learn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
RegForte > wrote:

> jt august wrote:
>

> > Monday: smoked pork steaks (it's a StL thing).
> >
> > jt

> Please splain to me...
>
> Do this denote grilling pork steaks in the presence
> of smoke? or what?
>
> I'm here to learn.

Pork Steaks are the St. Louis thing. Around here, we take a whole pork
but and slice it into bone-in steaks. Most St. Louisans simply grill,
then simmer in BBQ sauce to finish. But I grew up on KC style BBQ, so I
use their cooking technique on the cheaper cut of meat.

jt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor wrote:

>> Heh... I know someone who did cut out the breastbone, thinking she was
>> butterflying the chicken.

> Why wouldn't it be butterflying? For cooking purposes, the result would
> be the same. Actually, just splitting the breast/keel bone would be
> enough.

It's not the same because the breast dries out much more easily when it's
been cut.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:
> You?
>
> Dimitri

Whatever is in the freezer that looks good.
Chris leaves tomorrow morning. Tonight we had brats, sweet & sour red
cabbage, sortalike hashbrowns, leftover corn off the cob. Fresh onion
relish for the brats.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> Victor wrote:
>
> >> Heh... I know someone who did cut out the breastbone, thinking she was
> >> butterflying the chicken.

> > Why wouldn't it be butterflying? For cooking purposes, the result would
> > be the same. Actually, just splitting the breast/keel bone would be
> > enough.

> It's not the same because the breast dries out much more easily when it's
> been cut.

Yes, generally speaking, but wouldn't it still be
butterflying/spatchcocking? And, if one just splits the keel bone (as I
have done often), the breast meat would be untouched. When I first
started cooking chicken tapaka (basically the same dish) many years ago,
I always just split the keel bone because it appeared (and actually was)
the easiest thing to do for someone totally inexperienced. It actually
makes just as much sense even to someone with some experience. Cutting
out the spine makes a bit more sense still just because one gets it out
of the way from the get-go.

Besides, if one is aiming for the proper pollastrino all mattone or
chicken tapaka, no part of the little poussin (*not* of a fully-grown
chicken) would have much of a chance to dry out in the 8-10 minutes
needed for its cooking, no matter how it is spatchcocked.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 22:47:00 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> > wrote:
>

> >You don't want to know. (I mean, I'm fine with it, but I'd be laughed
> >off the group if I described what I've been eating these days.)
> >
> >Serene

> Tell us anyway.
>
> Did you know there is a new cookbook by Deborah Madison called, "What
> We Eat When We are Alone"...? Some interesting things described in
> there!!
>
> Christine

I can imagine. <g>
Considering some of the concoctions I've come up with in the distant
past! There are a lot of weird and interesting things one can do with
cheese and noodles...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein