Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default reheating ribs

My eyes were bigger than my guests stomachs. :-)

I have 2 racks left of smoked baby back ribs.

What is the most successful way to reheat them?

I was thinking about a sealed foil packet @ 180 degrees or so.

Comments?

TIA

Dimitri
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 31, 3:54 pm, Dimitri > wrote:
> My eyes were bigger than my guests stomachs. :-)
>
> I have 2 racks left of smoked baby back ribs.
>
> What is the most successful way to reheat them?
>
> I was thinking about a sealed foil packet @ 180 degrees or so.
>
> Comments?

That'll work, just don't overdo it. Food you're going to eat with
your hands doesn't have to be really hot. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 15:54:07 -0700 (PDT), Dimitri
> wrote:

>My eyes were bigger than my guests stomachs. :-)
>
>I have 2 racks left of smoked baby back ribs.
>
>What is the most successful way to reheat them?
>
>I was thinking about a sealed foil packet @ 180 degrees or so.
>
>Comments?

Microwave if they're already 100% done. I've had bad luck in the oven
as they tend to dry out. If you're a sauce person you can nuk them
till hot and then sauce them and broil for a few minutes. Either way
they be almost as good as the first time. The only time I'll use the
oven is if I've par smoked them. I'll pull of whatever I'm not going
to eat that day and wrap and freeze. When I want them I put them in a
glass cover casserole dish and bake at 225 for a few hours until done.
Works like a charm.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> My eyes were bigger than my guests stomachs. :-)
>
> I have 2 racks left of smoked baby back ribs.
>
> What is the most successful way to reheat them?
>
> I was thinking about a sealed foil packet @ 180 degrees or so.
>
> Comments?
>
> TIA
>
> Dimitri

Dimitri -

I would leave in the foil, and put them in my toaster oven till heated
to where I wanted them at 350F.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> My eyes were bigger than my guests stomachs. :-)
>
> I have 2 racks left of smoked baby back ribs.
>
> What is the most successful way to reheat them?
>
> I was thinking about a sealed foil packet @ 180 degrees or so.

Yep... I'd add a teaspoon of water and make sure the packet is sealed real
tight.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> My eyes were bigger than my guests stomachs. :-)
>
> I have 2 racks left of smoked baby back ribs.
>
> What is the most successful way to reheat them?
>
> I was thinking about a sealed foil packet @ 180 degrees or so.
>
> Comments?
>
> TIA

Use the Microwave. It gets them up to temperature quickly without drying
them out or making them taste all 'steamy' (if wrapped in foil)

--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
>> My eyes were bigger than my guests stomachs. :-)
>>
>> I have 2 racks left of smoked baby back ribs.
>>
>> What is the most successful way to reheat them?
>>
>> I was thinking about a sealed foil packet @ 180 degrees or so.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> TIA

> Use the Microwave. It gets them up to temperature quickly without drying
> them out or making them taste all 'steamy' (if wrapped in foil)

You put foiled stuff in the microwave?

I don't need to blow-up my kitchen.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:

> Dave Bugg wrote:
> > Dimitri wrote:
> >> My eyes were bigger than my guests stomachs. :-)
> >>
> >> I have 2 racks left of smoked baby back ribs.
> >>
> >> What is the most successful way to reheat them?
> >>
> >> I was thinking about a sealed foil packet @ 180 degrees or so.
> >>
> >> Comments?
> >>
> >> TIA

> > Use the Microwave. It gets them up to temperature quickly without drying
> > them out or making them taste all 'steamy' (if wrapped in foil)
> >

> You put foiled stuff in the microwave?

Yes, contrary to urban legend, you can indeed put metal in a microwave
oven and live to tell about it. You can not however wrap something in
foil, put it in a microwave oven and expect it to actually heat as the
foil shields the item from the microwaves. Foiling thin areas of a large
item after they are adequately cooked, however is a valid way to keep
from overcooking them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>> Dave Bugg wrote:

>>> Use the Microwave. It gets them up to temperature quickly without drying
>>> them out or making them taste all 'steamy' (if wrapped in foil)
>>>

>> You put foiled stuff in the microwave?

> Yes, contrary to urban legend, you can indeed put metal in a microwave
> oven and live to tell about it. You can not however wrap something in
> foil, put it in a microwave oven and expect it to actually heat as the
> foil shields the item from the microwaves. Foiling thin areas of a large
> item after they are adequately cooked, however is a valid way to keep
> from overcooking them.

Thanks for your input Pete. I have also put chicken legs in the
microwave with foil over the exposed bone. That's why I have an opinion
that says "don't use foil in the microwave". I had to replace the
microwave. I was however happy to not have to replace the kitchen.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 6:26*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 15:54:07 -0700 (PDT), Dimitri
>
> > wrote:
> >My eyes were bigger than my guests stomachs. :-)

> >I have 2 racks left of smoked baby back ribs.

> >What is the most successful way to reheat them?

> >I was thinking about a sealed foil packet @ 180 degrees or so.

> >Comments?

> Microwave if they're already 100% done.

Exactly right. Only microwave meat that is "already 100% done." Cut
into 4 pieces and place along the sides of a square Corning Ware or
Pyrex dish and put the lid on, then microwave.

> Lou

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
> > Bob Muncie wrote:

> >> You put foiled stuff in the microwave?

> > Yes, contrary to urban legend, you can indeed put metal in a microwave
> > oven and live to tell about it. You can not however wrap something in
> > foil, put it in a microwave oven and expect it to actually heat as the
> > foil shields the item from the microwaves. Foiling thin areas of a large
> > item after they are adequately cooked, however is a valid way to keep
> > from overcooking them.

> Thanks for your input Pete. I have also put chicken legs in the
> microwave with foil over the exposed bone. That's why I have an opinion
> that says "don't use foil in the microwave". I had to replace the
> microwave. I was however happy to not have to replace the kitchen.
>
> Bob

Don't know why you had to replace the microwave. Microwave manufacturers
give instructions on the use of foil in the microwave in the owners
manuals. I routinely use metal in my microwave and have no issues. Some
microwaves include metal shelves and metal temperature probes. It isn't
magic, it's just science.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>> Pete C. wrote:

>>> Yes, contrary to urban legend, you can indeed put metal in a microwave
>>> oven and live to tell about it. You can not however wrap something in
>>> foil, put it in a microwave oven and expect it to actually heat as the
>>> foil shields the item from the microwaves. Foiling thin areas of a large
>>> item after they are adequately cooked, however is a valid way to keep
>>> from overcooking them.

>> Thanks for your input Pete. I have also put chicken legs in the
>> microwave with foil over the exposed bone. That's why I have an opinion
>> that says "don't use foil in the microwave". I had to replace the
>> microwave. I was however happy to not have to replace the kitchen.
>>
>> Bob

> Don't know why you had to replace the microwave. Microwave manufacturers
> give instructions on the use of foil in the microwave in the owners
> manuals. I routinely use metal in my microwave and have no issues. Some
> microwaves include metal shelves and metal temperature probes. It isn't
> magic, it's just science.

And having my Microwave blow up?

Is that an experiment in science?

Not trying to make a point that you don't agree with, but can you
gainsay my experience?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
> > Bob Muncie wrote:

> >> Thanks for your input Pete. I have also put chicken legs in the
> >> microwave with foil over the exposed bone. That's why I have an opinion
> >> that says "don't use foil in the microwave". I had to replace the
> >> microwave. I was however happy to not have to replace the kitchen.
> >>
> >> Bob

> > Don't know why you had to replace the microwave. Microwave manufacturers
> > give instructions on the use of foil in the microwave in the owners
> > manuals. I routinely use metal in my microwave and have no issues. Some
> > microwaves include metal shelves and metal temperature probes. It isn't
> > magic, it's just science.

> And having my Microwave blow up?
>
> Is that an experiment in science?
>
> Not trying to make a point that you don't agree with, but can you
> gainsay my experience?
>
> Bob

You haven't given any detail on exactly how you applied the foil, there
are rules such as no points and not too close to the edges of the
microwave. You also haven't indicated what constituted "blow up".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> My eyes were bigger than my guests stomachs. :-)
>
> I have 2 racks left of smoked baby back ribs.
>
> What is the most successful way to reheat them?
>
> I was thinking about a sealed foil packet @ 180 degrees or so.
>
> Comments?
>
> TIA
>
> Dimitri

I find this is the best way to reheat any kind of Q:

The Ziplock bags with the vacuum pump. Once you have pumped out all the
air, the bags are can be used in a sous vide. It even says so on the
bags. Just stick the sealed bags in a pot of boiling water.

I have heated up left over ribs, brisket and pulled pork in these bags
and they are always perfect, not losing any moisture at all.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>> My eyes were bigger than my guests stomachs. :-)
>>
>> I have 2 racks left of smoked baby back ribs.
>>
>> What is the most successful way to reheat them?
>>
>> I was thinking about a sealed foil packet @ 180 degrees or so.

> Yep... I'd add a teaspoon of water and make sure the packet is sealed real
> tight.
>
> George L

Bad enough braizing ribs in foil and you want to add more liquid....

Every Chinese restaurant I've ever been to always serves reheated ribs,
reheated under a broiler... how do you think they get it to the table in ten
minute... every Chinese dish is leady in ten minute, eh oll ten minute, fly
lice ten minute, yatka mein ten minute, lobster cantonese ten minute...
always ten minute, not more, not less... phone a Chinese take out and order
$500 worth of food, fifteen different dishes... ten minute! LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 5:54*pm, Dimitri > wrote:
> My eyes were bigger than my guests stomachs. :-)
>
> I have 2 racks left of smoked baby back ribs.
>
> What is the most successful way to reheat them?
>
> I was thinking about a sealed foil packet @ 180 degrees or so.
>
> Comments?

How long did you boil the ribs?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> phone a Chinese take out and order
> $500 worth of food, fifteen different dishes... ten minute! LOL

Not far from the truth. I did pretty much that, ordering from my
favorite hole-in-the-wall Chinese place for an office meeting instead of
the usual pizza. About 20 different orders, including soups with the
main selections, about a 15 minute drive from the office after calling
in the order, and when I got there everything was ready in two big boxes
that they carried out to the truck for me. Not a single mistake in the
entire order either and everyone at the office loved it. The 1M BTU/Hr
wok burners located in the middle of the sink trough with convenient
rinse faucets has a lot to do with the phenomenal efficiency.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>> Pete C. wrote:

>>> Don't know why you had to replace the microwave. Microwave manufacturers
>>> give instructions on the use of foil in the microwave in the owners
>>> manuals. I routinely use metal in my microwave and have no issues. Some
>>> microwaves include metal shelves and metal temperature probes. It isn't
>>> magic, it's just science.

>> And having my Microwave blow up?
>>
>> Is that an experiment in science?
>>
>> Not trying to make a point that you don't agree with, but can you
>> gainsay my experience?
>>
>> Bob

> You haven't given any detail on exactly how you applied the foil, there
> are rules such as no points and not too close to the edges of the
> microwave. You also haven't indicated what constituted "blow up".

How about having foiled the ends of chicken legs that have been fried so
that they do not cook further?

In any case, I could really not care what you have to say, as I have no
intention of making the current microwave unusable.

get that?

Do I need to be more not nice?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:

> I'd eat 'em at room temperature. Or maybe right outta the fridge! I
> always order the next size bigger than I want to eat at the restaurant
> so I can eat all the sides (which I love) and take the rest of the
> ribs home for a snack. They seldom make it till morning!

If you're going to do that, you may as well
consider cutting the meat off the bones,
dicing it, and using it in fried rice or
curried fried rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dimitri > wrote:

> My eyes were bigger than my guests stomachs. :-)
>
> I have 2 racks left of smoked baby back ribs.
>
> What is the most successful way to reheat them?
>
> I was thinking about a sealed foil packet @ 180 degrees or so.
>
> Comments?
>
> TIA
>
> Dimitri

I put them on heavy foil, pour sauce on top, and put them in the gas
grill (shoot me) on low until we're ready to eat ‹ 15-20 minutes? I
don't seal anything - just my preference for these.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
> > Bob Muncie wrote:

> >> And having my Microwave blow up?
> >>
> >> Is that an experiment in science?
> >>
> >> Not trying to make a point that you don't agree with, but can you
> >> gainsay my experience?
> >>
> >> Bob

> > You haven't given any detail on exactly how you applied the foil, there
> > are rules such as no points and not too close to the edges of the
> > microwave. You also haven't indicated what constituted "blow up".

> How about having foiled the ends of chicken legs that have been fried so
> that they do not cook further?
>
> In any case, I could really not care what you have to say, as I have no
> intention of making the current microwave unusable.
>
> get that?
>
> Do I need to be more not nice?

No, you need to be more ignorant apparently...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> Dimitri > wrote:
>
>> My eyes were bigger than my guests stomachs. :-)
>>
>> I have 2 racks left of smoked baby back ribs.
>>
>> What is the most successful way to reheat them?
>>
>> I was thinking about a sealed foil packet @ 180 degrees or so.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Dimitri

> I put them on heavy foil, pour sauce on top, and put them in the gas
> grill (shoot me) on low until we're ready to eat < 15-20 minutes? I
> don't seal anything.

You don't need the foil or sauce, heat them directly on the grill and then
serve with the sauce for dipping... heating ribs in sauce on the foil is
boiled ribs... sealing the foil (sauce or not) is braised ribs.

The microwave is good if it's only a small portion (3-4 ribs) but nuking an
entire rack at once will result in some burned, some cold, and everything
inbetween.

Anyone who uses more than a 100 feet of foil within five years is not much
of a cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> My eyes were bigger than my guests stomachs. :-)
>
> I have 2 racks left of smoked baby back ribs.
>
> What is the most successful way to reheat them?
>
> I was thinking about a sealed foil packet @ 180 degrees or so.
>
> Comments?
>
> TIA
>
> Dimitri

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I wrapped them in a sealed packet of heavy foil with 4 ice cubes.

Then I put a cup of water into a large baking pan with a rack.

The foil packet with ribs on top of the rack.

Then I sealed the whole mess with more foil and into a 200 degree oven for
20 minutes.

After 20 minutes the temp went up to 300 for 10 minutes more.

When I opened it all the ribs were as warm and as tender as the time I took
them off the smoker.

There was no degradation in flavor or texture.

(a waste of foil but nonetheless it accomplished the goal)

Thanks again.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
>
>>My eyes were bigger than my guests stomachs. :-)
>>
>>I have 2 racks left of smoked baby back ribs.
>>
>>What is the most successful way to reheat them?
>>
>>I was thinking about a sealed foil packet @ 180 degrees or so.
>>
>>Comments?
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Dimitri

> Nuke each individual serve for about 60 seconds to warm it up... then
> chow down. No need to mess around with the oven or the grill.

With two full racks to heat he'll be futzing with the nuker for an hour...
everyone will be eating piecemeal, and by the time Dimitri gets his portion
the table will be cleared and some folks will have already gone home. With
two full racks I'd not consider any other method but the grill, unless I
didn't have one, then I'd turn to the broiler. I've reheated ribs in the
microwave often but only a few ribs just for me. When I prepare ribs from
scratch, which I like to do often, I make far more than will be consumed at
one sitting, I always make plenty to reheat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>> Pete C. wrote:

>>> You haven't given any detail on exactly how you applied the foil, there
>>> are rules such as no points and not too close to the edges of the
>>> microwave. You also haven't indicated what constituted "blow up".

>> How about having foiled the ends of chicken legs that have been fried so
>> that they do not cook further?
>>
>> In any case, I could really not care what you have to say, as I have no
>> intention of making the current microwave unusable.
>>
>> get that?
>>
>> Do I need to be more not nice?

> No, you need to be more ignorant apparently...

Pete - I apologize for the stupid posts. I've been pretty tired lately.

My experience is having put fried chicken in the microwave with foil
having covered the bone ends. That caused that microwave to short out.

How close to the ends constitute "too close".

The book for my current microwave simply states do not put anything
metallic in it.

ObFood: When re-heating ribs, I normally keep them foiled, and put them
in the toaster oven for about ten minutes at 425F

Bob

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 11:03*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:
>

> > I'd eat 'em at room temperature. *Or maybe right outta the fridge! *I
> > always order the next size bigger than I want to eat at the restaurant
> > so I can eat all the sides (which I love) and take the rest of the
> > ribs home for a snack. *They seldom make it till morning!

> If you're going to do that, you may as well
> consider cutting the meat off the bones,
> dicing it, and using it in fried rice or
> curried fried rice.

If I cut the meat off the bones, I'd miss some of it and end up
gnawing on the bone anyway. This saves time.
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig" > wrote in message
On Aug 31, 11:03 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:
>

> > I'd eat 'em at room temperature. Or maybe right outta the fridge! I
> > always order the next size bigger than I want to eat at the restaurant
> > so I can eat all the sides (which I love) and take the rest of the
> > ribs home for a snack. They seldom make it till morning!

> If you're going to do that, you may as well
> consider cutting the meat off the bones,
> dicing it, and using it in fried rice or
> curried fried rice.

If I cut the meat off the bones, I'd miss some of it and end up
gnawing on the bone anyway. This saves time.
Lynn in Fargo

Gnawed rib/chop bones are good to make a small amount of stock for ramen...
the benefits of cooking for one. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
> > Bob Muncie wrote:

> >> How about having foiled the ends of chicken legs that have been fried so
> >> that they do not cook further?
> >>
> >> In any case, I could really not care what you have to say, as I have no
> >> intention of making the current microwave unusable.
> >>
> >> get that?
> >>
> >> Do I need to be more not nice?

> > No, you need to be more ignorant apparently...

> Pete - I apologize for the stupid posts. I've been pretty tired lately.
>
> My experience is having put fried chicken in the microwave with foil
> having covered the bone ends. That caused that microwave to short out.

Microwaves don't "short out". Metal too close to the walls of the
microwave can concentrate energy and arc over to the wall and scorch the
finish. This is a cosmetic issue only.

> How close to the ends constitute "too close".

I looked at several manuals on manufacturers sites and all said avoid
large sections of metal and to keep metal at least 1" from the side of
the microwave. All indicated that foiling legs and wings of poultry as
an example was acceptable.

> The book for my current microwave simply states do not put anything
> metallic in it.

The early manuals were like that before people understood microwaves
better. Most current manuals include instructions for metal use.

> ObFood: When re-heating ribs, I normally keep them foiled, and put them
> in the toaster oven for about ten minutes at 425F

If they are leftovers that were refrigerated I just microwave them for a
bit on lower power. My "intentional leftovers" are vacuum bagged and
frozen and boil-in-bag seems to be the best method to reheat them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Either the foil packet of the microwave i think

--
YellowSubmarine

Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dimitri > wrote:

> My eyes were bigger than my guests stomachs. :-)
>
> I have 2 racks left of smoked baby back ribs.
>
> What is the most successful way to reheat them?
>
> I was thinking about a sealed foil packet @ 180 degrees or so.
>
> Comments?
>
> TIA
>
> Dimitri

I nuke my BBQ'd beef ribs in a covered container to keep them moist.
Works for me...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"brooklyn1" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > I put them on heavy foil, pour sauce on top, and put them in the gas
> > grill (shoot me) on low until we're ready to eat < 15-20 minutes? I
> > don't seal anything.

> You don't need the foil or sauce, heat them directly on the grill and then
> serve with the sauce for dipping... heating ribs in sauce on the foil is
> boiled ribs.

Sez you.

> .. sealing the foil (sauce or not) is braised ribs.

> Anyone who uses more than a 100 feet of foil within five years is not much
> of a cook.

Sez you.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> "brooklyn1" > wrote:
>
> > Anyone who uses more than a 100 feet of foil within five years is not much
> > of a cook.

> Sez you.

My 75 ft roll of foil is well over five years old,
probably closer to 10, but I think that's largely
due to the type of cooking I do. I haven't baked
anything since 1980, because the oven broke and I
haven't fixed it. I used to use the foil for making
chocolate confections, but I haven't made those in
years. I've only rarely cooked in foil packets.
That's not a bad way to do fish. The last time
I cooked in a foil packet, I boiled a frozen tamale
from Trader Joe's in a stainless steel pot, and
there was some sort of electrochemical reaction
which turned the foil black on the outside of the
packet. That kinda turned me off to doing that
again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:

Just to be clear, I never said anything about putting foil into a microwave.
I refered to microwaving ribs as a better method, IMO, than using foil for
heating.
--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>
> Just to be clear, I never said anything about putting foil into a microwave.
> I refered to microwaving ribs as a better method, IMO, than using foil for
> heating.

Thanks Dave for the clarification.

Pete - I had a bunch of chicken legs I had grilled, and when they get
close to finished, I wrapped the ends with foil to avoid further
shrinkage. Anyway, was on the phone one night and went to warm a few up
in the microwave and forgot to remove the foil pieces. After a few loud
sizzling zaps, the microwave died, so I am assuming it shorted something.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> In article >,
>> "brooklyn1" > wrote:
>>
>> > Anyone who uses more than a 100 feet of foil within five years is not
>> > much
>> > of a cook.

>> Sez you.

> My 75 ft roll of foil is well over five years old,
> probably closer to 10, but I think that's largely
> due to the type of cooking I do. I haven't baked
> anything since 1980, because the oven broke and I
> haven't fixed it. I used to use the foil for making
> chocolate confections, but I haven't made those in
> years. I've only rarely cooked in foil packets.
> That's not a bad way to do fish. The last time
> I cooked in a foil packet, I boiled a frozen tamale
> from Trader Joe's in a stainless steel pot, and
> there was some sort of electrochemical reaction
> which turned the foil black on the outside of the
> packet. That kinda turned me off to doing that
> again.

Aluminum is reactive, and seafood should never be in contact with
aluminum... use parchment instead.... wrapping seafood in aluminum, and
adding citrus yet, is the epitomy of kitchen douchebaggery. Placing most
foods (and especially combinations of foods) in contact with aluminum foil
creates an electrolytic action, in effect one is building a dry cell battery
out of the food, it will impart the taste one experiences when they touch
their tongue to the positive pole of a battery. I'm sure most folks have
experienced seeing all those holes in aluminum foil when used to wrap food
and upon opening the fridge the next day... they're electroplating their
food with aluminum. Never place aluminum foil in contact with any food...
any food that's acetic and/or contains salt will cause an electrolytic
reaction (seafood contains salt, salt is composed of sodium, a metal - NA,
the electrolsis separates out the metals), the electrolytic reaction will
also intensify the taste of the metals contained in food, like copper and
zinc, anyone has ever placed a penny in their mouth knows that sour taste.
Get rid of the aluminum foil, it doesn't belong in a kitchen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:

> Dave Bugg wrote:
> > Bob Muncie wrote:
> >
> > Just to be clear, I never said anything about putting foil into a microwave.
> > I refered to microwaving ribs as a better method, IMO, than using foil for
> > heating.

> Thanks Dave for the clarification.
>
> Pete - I had a bunch of chicken legs I had grilled, and when they get
> close to finished, I wrapped the ends with foil to avoid further
> shrinkage. Anyway, was on the phone one night and went to warm a few up
> in the microwave and forgot to remove the foil pieces. After a few loud
> sizzling zaps, the microwave died, so I am assuming it shorted something.
>
> Bob

You could possibly have blown the fuse in the microwave, they are easy
to replace. There really isn't much to a microwave oven, at least the
non inverter models, just a power supply, and Magnetron with a timer
switching it on and off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Aluminum is reactive, and seafood should never be in contact with
> aluminum... use parchment instead.... wrapping seafood in aluminum, and
> adding citrus yet, is the epitomy of kitchen douchebaggery. Placing most
> foods (and especially combinations of foods) in contact with aluminum foil
> creates an electrolytic action, in effect one is building a dry cell
> battery out of the food, it will impart the taste one experiences when
> they touch their tongue to the positive pole of a battery. I'm sure most
> folks have experienced seeing all those holes in aluminum foil when used
> to wrap food and upon opening the fridge the next day... they're
> electroplating their food with aluminum. Never place aluminum foil in
> contact with any food... any food that's acetic and/or contains salt will
> cause an electrolytic reaction (seafood contains salt, salt is composed of
> sodium, a metal - NA, the electrolsis separates out the metals), the
> electrolytic reaction will also intensify the taste of the metals
> contained in food, like copper and zinc, anyone has ever placed a penny in
> their mouth knows that sour taste. Get rid of the aluminum foil, it
> doesn't belong in a kitchen.

At THIS EXACT MOMENT I am braising country-style ribs wrapped in aluminum
foil with plums, habañero chiles, allspice, and salt. I have every reason to
believe it will taste better than anything you will eat this year.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
>> My eyes were bigger than my guests stomachs. :-)
>>
>> I have 2 racks left of smoked baby back ribs.
>>
>> What is the most successful way to reheat them?
>>
>> I was thinking about a sealed foil packet @ 180 degrees or so.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Dimitri

> Dimitri -
>
> I would leave in the foil, and put them in my toaster oven till heated
> to where I wanted them at 350F.
>
> Bob

Best way to reheat just about anything is in a dry non-stick skillet
with a tight-fitting lid, over extremely low heat. (It really does a
good job with leftover pizza, by the time the cheese is melty, the
bottom of the crust is crisp, but not dried out.) Your nonstick skillet
probably doesn't have a lid, so borrow one from your large saucepan.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 1:04*pm, "brooklyn1" > wrote:
> "Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig" > wrote in ...
> On Aug 31, 11:03 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
> > Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:

> > > I'd eat 'em at room temperature. Or maybe right outta the fridge! I
> > > always order the next size bigger than I want to eat at the restaurant
> > > so I can eat all the sides (which I love) and take the rest of the
> > > ribs home for a snack. They seldom make it till morning!

> > If you're going to do that, you may as well
> > consider cutting the meat off the bones,
> > dicing it, and using it in fried rice or
> > curried fried rice.

> If I cut the meat off the bones, I'd miss some of it and end up
> gnawing on the bone anyway. *This saves time.
> Lynn in Fargo
>
> Gnawed rib/chop bones are good to make a small amount of stock for ramen....
> the benefits of cooking for one. LOL

Boy! I believe in recycling too, but I really gotta admire that one!
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo" wrote:
"brooklyn1" wrote:
> "Lynn from Fargo" wrote:
>
> If I cut the meat off the bones, I'd miss some of it and end up
> gnawing on the bone anyway. This saves time.
> Lynn in Fargo
>
> Gnawed rib/chop bones are good to make a small amount of stock for
> ramen...
> the benefits of cooking for one. LOL

Boy! I believe in recycling too, but I really gotta admire that one!
Lynn in Fargo

========

Lots of folks use gnawed bones of all sorts as a base for soups, sauces, and
stews... and they don't live alone... they will never admit it is all. How
do you think folks survived the Great Depression, and in third world
countries it's a way of life. It wasn't too long ago that restuarants in
the US commonly used patron's plate scrapings to prepare the next day's
vittles (in many countries today still), the health departments [supposedly]
put a stop to that practice but many still do. Most of the world's eateries
do that as a matter of course. American tourists are just as wasteful on
vacation as they are at home, don't think for one minute that when they
leave a nice meaty steak bone in say Italy and France that bone doesn't end
up in the next days soup du jour pot. And don't get all squeamish, most of
the planet's creatures feed their young by regurgitation and by expressing
bodily fluids... and human parents don't hesitate at cleaning every scrap of
uneaten food off their kid's plate. I've seen that done at restaurants
often, especially at the family style chain joints... when it's apparent the
rugrat has had enough mom nonchantly (like she's done that at every meal)
swallows those disgusting played with and slobbered on last morsels right
down her hatch... any parent says thay haven't done the same with the
squished half eaten remnants of their brat's happy meal is a liar... anyone
one tells me they haven't helped their kid lick an ice cream cone and share
their straw is full of doodoo. Anyone tells me they've never finished
gnawing their partner's meaty bone has never had sex, because anytime you
see couples dining watch to see which one will gnaw their bones, that's the
more sexually aggressive of the two, that's the one who initiates sex.
Anyone goes on a first date and sees the other leave half their meal and
never touch their food with their fingers make that the last date. There
are many signs of sexuality displayed by ones eating habits, steer clear of
those who remove the bread crust for a sandwich, or those who discard the
portion of a sandwich they hold in their hand as though it were a disposable
eating utensile, after they've used all your good parts they will dispose of
you as surplus too. Whenever I observe a woman preparing a meal and notice
that she's averse to touching raw meat I know she's a lousy lay... a guy who
wolfs down his food has a short fuse, a woman who wolfs down her food has
never had an orgasm, not without masturbating. Any guy goes on a first date
to a movie and the gal insists you buy her own bag of popcorn rather than
sharing, watch your wallet. Be especially wary of anyone (male or female)
who doesn't want their their popcorn buttered. Men who read at the
breakfast table are impotent. Couples who eat where both read at the table
have a sex life but not with each other. Couples who watch TV during meal
times are celebate. People who eat their meals at their PC do everything
pleasurable alone, those are chronic masturbators. Parents who don't insist
that their children eat as a family but instead promote that they eat in
their rooms with their cell [sneak] phones are raising the next crop of
druggies/criminals... parents who permit their minor children to have a cell
phone are not parenting.

Food for Reheating Later gloria.p General Cooking 1 21-04-2010 05:14 AM
Reheating ham Mitch General Cooking 93 07-07-2007 06:23 PM
reheating ribs bk Barbecue 7 06-09-2005 10:07 PM
reheating tri-tip [email protected] Barbecue 2 09-06-2005 11:49 PM
Reheating Ribs and pulled pork? AG Barbecue 5 06-02-2004 11:09 PM