Posted to rec.food.cooking
jj jj is offline

Default Pastrami Burger Fans? A Salt Lake City original?

I've only read about this food item. Any one tried a version?

here's a couple of links
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/dining/29united.html
http://www.yelp.com/biz/crown-burger-salt-lake-city-2
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 02:25:54 GMT, jj wrote:

> I've only read about this food item. Any one tried a version?

Mr Hero, a sub chain in [at least] Ohio had one of these in the mid
90's. Now their menu has one with salami and luncheon loaf instead.

http://www.mrhero.com/subs_burgers.php

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 02:25:54 GMT,
(jj) wrote:

>I've only read about this food item. Any one tried a version?
>
>here's a couple of links

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/dining/29united.html
>http://www.yelp.com/biz/crown-burger-salt-lake-city-2

There is burger joint in the San Fernando Valley called Kings. Their
special is a pastrami cheeseburger. If you ask, they'll add a couple
of strips of bacon to it. They've been serving them for years and
still do. They are mouth-watering good. I limit myself to only one
or two a year (just had one)... the fat content must be out of sight,
but they are sooooo delicious.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-20639408...ers-northridge

Ron Kelley
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 02:25:54 GMT,
(jj) wrote:

>I've only read about this food item. Any one tried a version?
>
>here's a couple of links

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/dining/29united.html
>http://www.yelp.com/biz/crown-burger-salt-lake-city-2

I can not comment on other places but several places in Ogden ~30
miles North of Salt Lake had pastrami burgers when I was a wee lad
(born 1964, the girls serving were on roller skates too, last and only
place I ever saw that when it was not a gimmick).

I believe the place was called "basil's blue onion" but I was maybe 10
when they closed and all they had was burgers, shakes, fries.

The high school hang out "Warrens" (http://bit.ly/3SxGSg) claimed to
have invented both blue bacon burgers and pastrami burgers.

I suspect highly that publicity in a smaller town got a bit ahead of
reality but I am too lazy to search to see if the claims are true or
not
Actual email is 'wblalok .at. xmission .dot. com' to reply
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Nov 13, 6:57 am, Will@Blaylock wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 02:25:54 GMT,
>
> (jj) wrote:
> >I've only read about this food item. Any one tried a version?

> [snips]

There was a stand in downtown L.A. across the street from City Hall
called Kosher Burrito. Its namesake specialty was pastrami, thickish
chili and pickle wrapped in a flour tortilla. Awful concept,
completely delicious. After years of success they finally gave way to
office development. -aem