FoodBanter.com

-   -   Are Red and Yellow Bell Peppers More Nutritious than Green Ones? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/176353-red-yellow-bell-peppers.html)

qquito 31-08-2009 02:26 AM

Are Red and Yellow Bell Peppers More Nutritious than Green Ones?

Hello, Everyone:

The red, yellow and orange bell peppers are usually much more
expensive than the green ones. What is the reason? I do find they also
taste better than the green ones, but are they more nutritious than
the green ones?

Thank you for reading and replying!

--Roland

Gloria P 31-08-2009 04:10 AM

qquito wrote:
> Hello, Everyone:
>
> The red, yellow and orange bell peppers are usually much more
> expensive than the green ones. What is the reason? I do find they also
> taste better than the green ones, but are they more nutritious than
> the green ones?
>
> Thank you for reading and replying!
>
> --Roland

They contain more Vitamin A and C than green peppers.

I think they taste better, too.

gloria p

aem 31-08-2009 04:43 AM

On Aug 30, 6:26 pm, qquito > wrote:
> Hello, Everyone:
>
> The red, yellow and orange bell peppers are usually much more
> expensive than the green ones. What is the reason? I do find they also
> taste better than the green ones, but are they more nutritious than
> the green ones?

The green bell pepper is picked earlier. If they left it on the plant
to ripen fully it would turn red. In other words, the red (and yellow
and orange) peppers take more time from planting to harvest. For a
farmer that means they are costlier, hence the price is higher. I
don't have any idea why nutrition or vitamin content would change.
Not saying it's not different, I just don't know. -aem

projectile vomit chick[_2_] 31-08-2009 04:47 AM

On Aug 30, 8:26*pm, qquito > wrote:
> Hello, Everyone:
>
> The red, yellow and orange bell peppers are usually much more
> expensive than the green ones. What is the reason? I do find they also
> taste better than the green ones, but are they more nutritious than
> the green ones?
>
> Thank you for reading and replying!
>
> --Roland

Who the **** cares?

You're welcome!

sqwertz 31-08-2009 04:52 AM

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 18:26:36 -0700 (PDT), qquito wrote:

> Hello, Everyone:
>
> The red, yellow and orange bell peppers are usually much more
> expensive than the green ones. What is the reason? I do find they also
> taste better than the green ones, but are they more nutritious than
> the green ones?
>
> Thank you for reading and replying!

Peppers other than green take longer to grow, don't last as long on
the shelves, and when ripened on the plant they inhibit new pepper
growth. All of which the growers don't like (especially that last
reason). So they charge a lot more.

-sw

Omelet[_7_] 31-08-2009 09:35 AM

Are Red and Yellow Bell Peppers More Nutritious than Green Ones?

In article >,
Gloria P > wrote:

> qquito wrote:
> > Hello, Everyone:
> >
> > The red, yellow and orange bell peppers are usually much more
> > expensive than the green ones. What is the reason? I do find they also
> > taste better than the green ones, but are they more nutritious than
> > the green ones?
> >
> > Thank you for reading and replying!
> >
> > --Roland

> They contain more Vitamin A and C than green peppers.

Which is why I only feed ripe peppers to my cockatoo.
I'll purchase some jalapenos on the color turn too, and not feed them to
her until they turn red. Red jalapenos are also sweeter.

> I think they taste better, too.
>
> gloria p

Totally agree. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Ed Pawlowski 31-08-2009 10:50 AM

"Gloria P" > wrote in message

> They contain more Vitamin A and C than green peppers.
>
> I think they taste better, too.
>
> gloria p

But the red ones I only taste once. The green ones I can taste again, and
again, and again.

[email protected] 31-08-2009 02:45 PM

On Aug 31, 4:50*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Gloria P" > wrote in message
>
> > They contain more Vitamin A and C than green peppers.

> > I think they taste better, too.

> > gloria p

> But the red ones I only taste once. *The green ones I can taste again, and
> again, and again.

Amen, amen, amen! I really don't care for any of them no matter the
color as for me I don't think they add anything to a recipe other than
color.

James Silverton[_2_] 31-08-2009 02:51 PM

Are Red and Yellow Bell Peppers More Nutritious than Green Ones?

wrote on Mon, 31 Aug 2009 06:45:58 -0700
(PDT):

> On Aug 31, 4:50 am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>> "Gloria P" > wrote in message
>>
> >> They contain more Vitamin A and C than green peppers.

> >> I think they taste better, too.

> >> gloria p

>> But the red ones I only taste once. The green ones I can
>> taste again, and again, and again.

Red sweet peppers, being ripe, taste much better uncooked than green. I
don't particularly like uncooked green peppers in a salad tho' they
aren't bad in gazpacho.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

brooklyn1 31-08-2009 06:24 PM

"Omelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Gloria P > wrote:
>
>> qquito wrote:
>> > Hello, Everyone:
>> >
>> > The red, yellow and orange bell peppers are usually much more
>> > expensive than the green ones. What is the reason? I do find they also
>> > taste better than the green ones, but are they more nutritious than
>> > the green ones?
>> >
>> > Thank you for reading and replying!
>> >
>> > --Roland

>> They contain more Vitamin A and C than green peppers.

> Which is why I only feed ripe peppers to my cockatoo.
> I'll purchase some jalapenos on the color turn too, and not feed them to
> her until they turn red. Red jalapenos are also sweeter.

Ripe bell peppers contain more sugar too, but they don't necessarily contain
more vitamins/minerals than green bell peppers, they can actually contain
less vitamins especially if sitting on produce shelves longer which tends to
be true of more costly items, and mineral content is mostly a result of the
soil on which it was grown. However red fruit generally contains more
anitioxident value than green fruit. I typically use green bells for
cooking and save the reds to eat raw in salads.. I think, due to the higher
price, it adds insult to injury to cook red peppers because heat destroys
much of the vitamins, and minerals are leached out into cooking liquid which
is true for preparing any vegetable... when folks steam/boil veggies unless
they consume the liquid they are eating the chaff and discarding the
nutrition.

brooklyn1 31-08-2009 06:33 PM

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> wrote on Mon, 31 Aug 2009 06:45:58 -0700
> (PDT):

>>> But the red ones I only taste once. The green ones I can
>>> taste again, and again, and again.

> Red sweet peppers, being ripe, taste much better uncooked than green. I
> don't particularly like uncooked green peppers in a salad tho' they aren't
> bad in gazpacho.

Depends on the dish; green taste better fried with eggs, much better fried
with sausage potato, and onion, much better atop a pizza, green are better
stuffed... I agree, reds are better raw. I don't much care for the yellow,
orange, purple, brown, etc... they're more a novelty, those haven't much
flavor at all.

Zeppo[_2_] 31-08-2009 07:47 PM

Are Red and Yellow Bell Peppers More Nutritious than Green Ones?

> Ripe bell peppers contain more sugar too, but they don't necessarily
> contain more vitamins/minerals than green bell peppers, they can actually
> contain less vitamins especially if sitting on produce shelves longer
> which tends to be true of more costly items, and mineral content is mostly
> a result of the soil on which it was grown. However red fruit generally
> contains more anitioxident value than green fruit. I typically use green
> bells for cooking and save the reds to eat raw in salads.. I think, due to
> the higher price, it adds insult to injury to cook red peppers because
> heat destroys much of the vitamins, and minerals are leached out into
> cooking liquid which is true for preparing any vegetable... when folks
> steam/boil veggies unless they consume the liquid they are eating the
> chaff and discarding the nutrition.

True. However there is also microwaving, which cooks vegetables without
leaching all the nutrients out (maybe a small bit due to evaporation).

Jon

Gloria P 31-08-2009 10:04 PM

brooklyn 1 wrote:
>> Ripe bell peppers contain more sugar too, but they don't necessarily
>> contain more vitamins/minerals than green bell peppers, they can actually
>> contain less vitamins

This is an interesting site if you like peppers.

From: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=50

"One cup of raw, chopped red peppers provides over 100% of the DV for
vitamin C and vitamin A. Red peppers are also an excellent source of
vitamin B6. In addition to beta-carotene, red peppers contain the
beneficial phytonutrients lycopene, lutein and zeaxanthin.

Green peppers are a very good source of fiber, folate, and vitamin K as
well as the minerals molybdenum and manganese."

gloria p

Omelet[_7_] 01-09-2009 02:50 AM

Gloria P > wrote:

> brooklyn 1 wrote:
> >> Ripe bell peppers contain more sugar too, but they don't necessarily
> >> contain more vitamins/minerals than green bell peppers, they can actually
> >> contain less vitamins

> This is an interesting site if you like peppers.
>
> From: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=50
>

> "One cup of raw, chopped red peppers provides over 100% of the DV for
> vitamin C and vitamin A. Red peppers are also an excellent source of
> vitamin B6. In addition to beta-carotene, red peppers contain the
> beneficial phytonutrients lycopene, lutein and zeaxanthin.
>
> Green peppers are a very good source of fiber, folate, and vitamin K as
> well as the minerals molybdenum and manganese."
>
> gloria p

Nice. I think I'll be getting more of those for Freya. I wonder if
she'd eat them better if I sliced them up for her? She likes to chew a
hole in the side of a bell pepper to get at the seeds. Same for anaheims
and jalapenos.

The last bag of parrot mix I bought for her (Natural Harvest) had a
larger number of dried peppers in it than I'd ever seen in a parrot mix.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Gloria P 01-09-2009 03:17 AM

Omelet wrote:

>I think I'll be getting more of those for Freya. I wonder if
> she'd eat them better if I sliced them up for her? She likes to chew a
> hole in the side of a bell pepper to get at the seeds. Same for anaheims
> and jalapenos.
>
> The last bag of parrot mix I bought for her (Natural Harvest) had a
> larger number of dried peppers in it than I'd ever seen in a parrot mix.

Dear Daughter informed me as we were preparing chilies for the freezer
that all birds have no capsaicin receptors so they can eat the hottest
peppers without feeling any heat.

gloria p

Ed Pawlowski 01-09-2009 03:49 AM

"Gloria P" > wrote in message

> Dear Daughter informed me as we were preparing chilies for the freezer
> that all birds have no capsaicin receptors so they can eat the hottest
> peppers without feeling any heat.
>
> gloria p

Squirrels do though. That is why pepper is mixed with bird seed to keep the
squirrels out of the feeder.

bulka[_2_] 01-09-2009 04:19 AM

On Aug 31, 10:49 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> Squirrels do though. That is why pepper is mixed with bird seed to keep the
> squirrels out of the feeder.

Except for the ones in my yard, apparently, who devestated my pepper
patch.

Bulka

Omelet[_7_] 01-09-2009 07:37 PM

Gloria P > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> >I think I'll be getting more of those for Freya. I wonder if
> > she'd eat them better if I sliced them up for her? She likes to chew a
> > hole in the side of a bell pepper to get at the seeds. Same for anaheims
> > and jalapenos.
> >
> > The last bag of parrot mix I bought for her (Natural Harvest) had a
> > larger number of dried peppers in it than I'd ever seen in a parrot mix.

> Dear Daughter informed me as we were preparing chilies for the freezer
> that all birds have no capsaicin receptors so they can eat the hottest
> peppers without feeling any heat.
>
> gloria p

It's true.
Putting cayenne powder in the bird feeder is supposed to be a squirrel
repellant.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Kswck 02-09-2009 08:35 PM

Are Red and Yellow Bell Peppers More Nutritious than Green Ones?

> wrote in message
On Aug 31, 4:50 am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Gloria P" > wrote in message
>
> > They contain more Vitamin A and C than green peppers.

> > I think they taste better, too.

> > gloria p

> But the red ones I only taste once. The green ones I can taste again, and
> again, and again.

Then take chocolate peppers off your list too. Looks like cholocate, tastes
like green.

Omelet[_7_] 02-09-2009 11:05 PM

"Kswck" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> On Aug 31, 4:50 am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> > "Gloria P" > wrote in message
> >
> > > They contain more Vitamin A and C than green peppers.

> > > I think they taste better, too.

> > > gloria p

> > But the red ones I only taste once. The green ones I can taste again, and
> > again, and again.

> Then take chocolate peppers off your list too. Looks like cholocate, tastes
> like green.

I suspect she was talking about the burp factor?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] 03-09-2009 03:06 AM

Are Red and Yellow Bell Peppers More Nutritious than Green Ones?

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 06:45:58 -0700 (PDT),
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>On Aug 31, 4:50*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

>> But the red ones I only taste once. *The green ones I can taste again, and
>> again, and again.

>Amen, amen, amen! I really don't care for any of them no matter the
>color as for me I don't think they add anything to a recipe other than
>color.

I can't stand those things no matter what color they are - if I want
red for color, I'll use pimento. Except in a salad. That's what
tomatoes are for :-)

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

[email protected] 03-09-2009 03:19 AM

Are Red and Yellow Bell Peppers More Nutritious than Green Ones?

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 19:06:06 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd >
wrote:

-->On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 06:45:58 -0700 (PDT),
-->fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
-->
-->>On Aug 31, 4:50*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
-->
-->>> But the red ones I only taste once. *The green ones I can taste again,
and
-->>> again, and again.
-->>
-->>>
-->>>
-->>Amen, amen, amen! I really don't care for any of them no matter the
-->>color as for me I don't think they add anything to a recipe other than
-->>color.
-->
-->I can't stand those things no matter what color they are - if I want
-->red for color, I'll use pimento. Except in a salad. That's what
-->tomatoes are for :-)

But pimento is a pepper

-->
-->Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

cybercat 03-09-2009 01:36 PM

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 06:45:58 -0700 (PDT),
> fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
>
>>On Aug 31, 4:50 am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

>>> But the red ones I only taste once. The green ones I can taste again,
>>> and
>>> again, and again.

>>Amen, amen, amen! I really don't care for any of them no matter the
>>color as for me I don't think they add anything to a recipe other than
>>color.

> I can't stand those things no matter what color they are - if I want
> red for color, I'll use pimento. Except in a salad. That's what
> tomatoes are for :-)
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

I like them in pepper steak, but most often have the sweet red, yellow and
orange ones raw, with a sour cream based dip.

[email protected] 03-09-2009 01:47 PM

Are Red and Yellow Bell Peppers More Nutritious than Green Ones?

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 08:36:26 -0400, "cybercat" > wrote:

-->
-->"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
.. .
-->> On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 06:45:58 -0700 (PDT),
-->> fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
-->>
-->>>On Aug 31, 4:50 am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
-->>
-->>>> But the red ones I only taste once. The green ones I can taste again,
-->>>> and
-->>>> again, and again.
-->>>
-->>>>
-->>>>
-->>>Amen, amen, amen! I really don't care for any of them no matter the
-->>>color as for me I don't think they add anything to a recipe other than
-->>>color.
-->>
-->> I can't stand those things no matter what color they are - if I want
-->> red for color, I'll use pimento. Except in a salad. That's what
-->> tomatoes are for :-)

-->>
-->> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
-->>
-->
-->I like them in pepper steak, but most often have the sweet red, yellow and
-->orange ones raw, with a sour cream based dip.
-->

does Terry know that pimento is a pepper?

Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] 04-09-2009 02:58 AM

Are Red and Yellow Bell Peppers More Nutritious than Green Ones?

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 21:19:40 -0500, fired up random
neurons and synapses to opine:

>On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 19:06:06 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd >
>wrote:
>
>-->On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 06:45:58 -0700 (PDT),

>-->fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
>-->
>-->>On Aug 31, 4:50*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>-->
>-->>> But the red ones I only taste once. *The green ones I can taste again,
>and
>-->>> again, and again.
>-->>
>-->>>
>-->>>
>-->>Amen, amen, amen! I really don't care for any of them no matter the
>-->>color as for me I don't think they add anything to a recipe other than
>-->>color.
>-->
>-->I can't stand those things no matter what color they are - if I want
>-->red for color, I'll use pimento. Except in a salad. That's what
>-->tomatoes are for :-)
>
>But pimento is a pepper

But it's not a *bell* pepper and pimentos are tasteless. Bell peppers
are nasty.

[email protected] 04-09-2009 04:09 AM

Are Red and Yellow Bell Peppers More Nutritious than Green Ones?

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 18:58:52 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd >
wrote:

-->On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 21:19:40 -0500, fired up random
-->neurons and synapses to opine:
-->
-->>On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 19:06:06 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd >
-->>wrote:
-->>
-->>-->On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 06:45:58 -0700 (PDT),

-->>-->fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
-->>-->
-->>-->>On Aug 31, 4:50*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
-->>-->
-->>-->>> But the red ones I only taste once. *The green ones I can taste again,
-->>and
-->>-->>> again, and again.
-->>-->>
-->>-->>>
-->>-->>>
-->>-->>Amen, amen, amen! I really don't care for any of them no matter the
-->>-->>color as for me I don't think they add anything to a recipe other than
-->>-->>color.
-->>-->
-->>-->I can't stand those things no matter what color they are - if I want
-->>-->red for color, I'll use pimento. Except in a salad. That's what
-->>-->tomatoes are for :-)
-->>
-->>But pimento is a pepper
-->
-->But it's not a *bell* pepper and pimentos are tasteless. Bell peppers
-->are nasty.
-->
-->Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

These sweet pimento peppers are also the familiar red stuffing found in
prepared Spanish green olives. The pimento was originally cut into small pieces
and hand stuffed into fresh green olives to complement the strong flavor of the
olive. For ease of production pimento is often pureed and formed with the help
of a natural gum (such as sodium alginate or guar gum) into strips. This allows
the olive stuffing to be completed by a machine and increases the availability
of the olives by lowering their cost of production. However, it also makes the
olives less accessible to consumers with peanut allergies, as those individuals
may have a cross-reaction to guar, an annual legume mostly produced in India.

I think a bell pepper would be acceptable.

Paco[_4_] 04-09-2009 05:27 AM

Are Red and Yellow Bell Peppers More Nutritious than Green Ones?

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 18:58:52 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> >
> wrote:
>
> -->On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 21:19:40 -0500, fired up random
> -->neurons and synapses to opine:
> -->
> -->>On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 19:06:06 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> >
> -->>wrote:
> -->>
> -->>-->On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 06:45:58 -0700 (PDT),

> -->>-->fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
> -->>-->
> -->>-->>On Aug 31, 4:50 am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> -->>-->
> -->>-->>> But the red ones I only taste once. The green ones I can taste
> again,
> -->>and
> -->>-->>> again, and again.
> -->>-->>
> -->>-->>>
> -->>-->>>
> -->>-->>Amen, amen, amen! I really don't care for any of them no matter
> the
> -->>-->>color as for me I don't think they add anything to a recipe other
> than
> -->>-->>color.
> -->>-->
> -->>-->I can't stand those things no matter what color they are - if I
> want
> -->>-->red for color, I'll use pimento. Except in a salad. That's what
> -->>-->tomatoes are for :-)
> -->>
> -->>But pimento is a pepper
> -->
> -->But it's not a *bell* pepper and pimentos are tasteless. Bell peppers
> -->are nasty.
> -->
> -->Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> These sweet pimento peppers are also the familiar red stuffing found in
> prepared Spanish green olives. The pimento was originally cut into small
> pieces
> and hand stuffed into fresh green olives to complement the strong flavor
> of the
> olive. For ease of production pimento is often pureed and formed with the
> help
> of a natural gum (such as sodium alginate or guar gum) into strips. This
> allows
> the olive stuffing to be completed by a machine and increases the
> availability
> of the olives by lowering their cost of production. However, it also makes
> the
> olives less accessible to consumers with peanut allergies, as those
> individuals
> may have a cross-reaction to guar, an annual legume mostly produced in
> India.
>
> I think a bell pepper would be acceptable.

Stu, if you are going to copy and paste text from elsewhere, it is proper to
include the attributes.

[email protected] 04-09-2009 12:31 PM

Are Red and Yellow Bell Peppers More Nutritious than Green Ones?

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 00:27:36 -0400, "Paco" > wrote:

-->
-->
> wrote in message
.. .
-->> On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 18:58:52 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
-->> >
-->> wrote:
-->>
-->> -->On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 21:19:40 -0500, fired up random
-->> -->neurons and synapses to opine:
-->> -->
-->> -->>On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 19:06:06 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
-->> >
-->> -->>wrote:
-->> -->>
-->> -->>-->On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 06:45:58 -0700 (PDT),

-->> -->>-->fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
-->> -->>-->
-->> -->>-->>On Aug 31, 4:50 am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
-->> -->>-->
-->> -->>-->>> But the red ones I only taste once. The green ones I can taste
-->> again,
-->> -->>and
-->> -->>-->>> again, and again.
-->> -->>-->>
-->> -->>-->>>
-->> -->>-->>>
[...]

Sorry I thought I had... Wikpedia

[email protected] 04-09-2009 01:02 PM

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 06:31:17 -0500, wrote:

-->On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 00:27:36 -0400, "Paco" > wrote:
-->
-->-->
-->-->
> wrote in message
.. .
-->-->> On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 18:58:52 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
-->-->> >
-->-->> wrote:
-->-->>
-->-->> -->On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 21:19:40 -0500,
fired up random
-->-->> -->neurons and synapses to opine:
-->-->> -->
-->-->> -->>On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 19:06:06 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
-->-->> >
-->-->> -->>wrote:
-->-->> -->>
-->-->> -->>-->On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 06:45:58 -0700 (PDT),

-->-->> -->>-->fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
-->-->> -->>-->
-->-->> -->>-->>On Aug 31, 4:50 am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
-->-->> -->>-->
-->-->> -->>-->>> But the red ones I only taste once. The green ones I can taste
-->-->> again,
-->-->> -->>and
-->-->> -->>-->>> again, and again.
-->-->> -->>-->>
-->-->> -->>-->>>
-->-->> -->>-->>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimento

rknotthere 20-09-2009 04:03 PM

On Aug 30, 8:26*pm, qquito > wrote:
> Hello, Everyone:
>
> The red, yellow and orange bell peppers are usually much more
> expensive than the green ones. What is the reason? I do find they also
> taste better than the green ones, but are they more nutritious than
> the green ones?
>
> Thank you for reading and replying!
>
> --Roland

Red, yellow and orange bells are more expensive because they need to
remain on the vine longer to fully ripen instead of being picked at
the green stage. When bells are picked at the green stage it allows
the plant to produce more bells faster. Fully ripened peppers
essentially reduce the amount of additional bells the plant can
produce. Therefore reducing the amount of money made from one plant.
Nutritionally all bells are about the same, vitamin C may be slightly
less in the ripened varieties. They are definitely sweeter, which
suggests a higher sugar content.

-rknotthere

Dan Abel 21-09-2009 01:57 AM

Are Red and Yellow Bell Peppers More Nutritious than Green Ones?

In article
rknotthere > wrote:

> On Aug 30, 8:26*pm, qquito > wrote:
> > Hello, Everyone:
> >
> > The red, yellow and orange bell peppers are usually much more
> > expensive than the green ones. What is the reason? I do find they also
> > taste better than the green ones, but are they more nutritious than
> > the green ones?
> >
> > Thank you for reading and replying!
> >
> > --Roland

> Red, yellow and orange bells are more expensive because they need to
> remain on the vine longer to fully ripen instead of being picked at
> the green stage. When bells are picked at the green stage it allows
> the plant to produce more bells faster. Fully ripened peppers
> essentially reduce the amount of additional bells the plant can
> produce. Therefore reducing the amount of money made from one plant.
> Nutritionally all bells are about the same, vitamin C may be slightly
> less in the ripened varieties. They are definitely sweeter, which
> suggests a higher sugar content.

My experience is that the green ones keep better. That means that the
other ones have more spoilage between picking and final sale, which
means higher costs.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Goomba[_2_] 21-09-2009 05:40 AM

Dan Abel wrote:

> My experience is that the green ones keep better. That means that the
> other ones have more spoilage between picking and final sale, which
> means higher costs.

I buy a LOT of colorful peppers. Just this weekend the reds, yellows and
orange peppers were $2.59/pound. I rarely bother with the green ones
anymore. Just to add a price reference to this discussion. :)