Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default OK, what about mandolines?

NOTE: followups set to "rec.food.equipment" (I didn't forget this
time!)

Well, so much for that "improved" veggie peeler with its nifty little
mandoline attachment (as seen on TV!) Thanks again for all the
comments, folks. I decided this 'product' was not for my kitchen.

Earlier today when I perused through the aisles Tuesday Morning (!!!that
is one dangerous store!!!! <G>), I noticed a Cuisinart mandoline for
US$38, intead of nearly $80. Is this a good price for the 'brand' or
not? I noticed the photo on the package showed what looked like
all-metal construction, but I didn't look too closely. Or perhaps the
'behringer' (sp?) sort Blake and others mentioned might be a better
purchase for the money? I have no clue since I've never used any
mandoline before.

Instead of making an 'impulse' buy at that very moment, I figured I'd
come back home and ask here first What say y'all??

Sky . . . . .
. . . . . who's rather tired of hand-slicing/chopping 4 and 5 large
onions at a time!!!

P.S. I've always been very happy with the many Cuisinart products I
have.

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Folllowup - was: OK, what about mandolines?

NOTE: Followups set to "rec.food.equipment"

OK - now for the conclusion First of all, many thanks to everyone
for the useful comments about mandolines & veggie peelers, etc. The
'feedback' was most appreciated.

I am 'so very' glad that I did not buy that Cuisinart mandoline
yesterday from Tuesday Morning for US$38. The suggestions by quite a
few RFC/RFE folks to check the Asian markets was right on the 'money'
and save me some!!!! Again, thanks so much!

This afternoon, I went to one of the (larger) local Asian markets in my
area, and lo' and behold - they had the Benriner Japanese "Mandolin"
(that's the spelling on the box!!!!) for $20, not including sales tax.
Because I so rarely visit any Asian market, I felt like a kid in the
candy store <G>!! Alas, my time was short, so I didn't spend as much
time there to explore as I wanted.

Since I have never used a mandoline, I just had to 'test' it with an
onion as soon as I returned home <g>. WOW and more WOWS!!!! ) Talk
about "sweet" and then some, and I don't mean the onions either!!! I've
never sliced an onion so quickly - heheheh ;D Even Spouse was amazed,
but Spouse doesn't really know how to "cook" - hehehe (Hamburger Helper
& such just doesn't count <G>). However, I will be very cautious and
use that finger-guard! I can definitely see how easily a person can
accidentally slice-off a good hunk of "fimners"(*) if they are not
careful with their 'digits'!!

Sky, who's a happy camper in her kitchen!!!

P.S. Carmelized onions will soon be in the works (again)!

Sky wrote:

> NOTE: followups set to "rec.food.equipment" (I didn't forget this
> time!)
>
> Well, so much for that "improved" veggie peeler with its nifty little
> mandoline attachment (as seen on TV!) Thanks again for all the
> comments, folks. I decided this 'product' was not for my kitchen.
>
> Earlier today when I perused through the aisles Tuesday Morning (!!!that
> is one dangerous store!!!! <G>), I noticed a Cuisinart mandoline for
> US$38, intead of nearly $80. Is this a good price for the 'brand' or
> not? I noticed the photo on the package showed what looked like
> all-metal construction, but I didn't look too closely. Or perhaps the
> 'behringer' (sp?) sort Blake and others mentioned might be a better
> purchase for the money? I have no clue since I've never used any
> mandoline before.
>
> Instead of making an 'impulse' buy at that very moment, I figured I'd
> come back home and ask here first What say y'all??
>
> Sky . . . . .
> . . . . . who's rather tired of hand-slicing/chopping 4 and 5 large
> onions at a time!!!
>
> P.S. I've always been very happy with the many Cuisinart products I
> have.
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

OK, what about mandolines? Sky Cooking Equipment 15 01-09-2009 05:04 AM
mandolines inky dink Cooking Equipment 5 25-04-2008 05:58 PM
Mandolines / MIU anon General Cooking 9 08-03-2007 11:26 PM
Benriner Mandolines ian Asian Cooking 0 28-02-2005 03:29 AM
Benriner Mandolines ian Asian Cooking 0 28-02-2005 03:29 AM