Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default tomatillo help, please

I've never grown tomatillos before. The plants grew huge. Lots of the
paper husks -- empty. The summer has been so rotten I was just getting
around to tearing the plants out because they were not producing. I
discovered that there were many filled out husks on the ground beneath the
plants and others on the plant that had the husk turning color. When is the
proper time to harvest them? Wait until they fall? Pick as soon as the husk
begins to dry? It seems like I have either empty or full husks, nothing in
between.
Thanks
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I've never grown tomatillos before. The plants grew huge. Lots of the
> paper husks -- empty. The summer has been so rotten I was just getting
> around to tearing the plants out because they were not producing. I
> discovered that there were many filled out husks on the ground beneath the
> plants and others on the plant that had the husk turning color. When is the
> proper time to harvest them? Wait until they fall? Pick as soon as the husk
> begins to dry? It seems like I have either empty or full husks, nothing in
> between.
> Thanks
> Janet

I pick them when the husk is full and begins to dry or split; also the
ones on the ground are still good if they don't have bugs in them (ant's
love 'em)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> I've never grown tomatillos before. The plants grew huge. Lots of the
>> paper husks -- empty. The summer has been so rotten I was just getting
>> around to tearing the plants out because they were not producing. I
>> discovered that there were many filled out husks on the ground beneath
>> the plants and others on the plant that had the husk turning color. When
>> is the proper time to harvest them? Wait until they fall? Pick as soon
>> as the husk begins to dry? It seems like I have either empty or full
>> husks, nothing in between.
>> Thanks
>> Janet

> I pick them when the husk is full and begins to dry or split; also the
> ones on the ground are still good if they don't have bugs in them (ant's
> love 'em)
>
> Bob

Thanks. Is it common to have unfilled husks? Will they eventually fill
out?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I've never grown tomatillos before. The plants grew huge. Lots of the
> paper husks -- empty. The summer has been so rotten I was just getting
> around to tearing the plants out because they were not producing. I
> discovered that there were many filled out husks on the ground beneath the
> plants and others on the plant that had the husk turning color. When is the
> proper time to harvest them? Wait until they fall? Pick as soon as the husk
> begins to dry? It seems like I have either empty or full husks, nothing in
> between.

The tomatillos I find in the supermarket tend
to be bitter if deeply colored, but very pleasant
if pale or white. I've wondered whether the pale
ones are more mature, less mature, or perhaps a
different variety. Do you know?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> I've never grown tomatillos before. The plants grew huge. Lots of the
>> paper husks -- empty. The summer has been so rotten I was just getting
>> around to tearing the plants out because they were not producing. I
>> discovered that there were many filled out husks on the ground beneath
>> the
>> plants and others on the plant that had the husk turning color. When is
>> the
>> proper time to harvest them? Wait until they fall? Pick as soon as the
>> husk
>> begins to dry? It seems like I have either empty or full husks, nothing
>> in
>> between.

> The tomatillos I find in the supermarket tend
> to be bitter if deeply colored, but very pleasant
> if pale or white. I've wondered whether the pale
> ones are more mature, less mature, or perhaps a
> different variety. Do you know?

No. I had a choice at the nursery of green-husked or golden-husked. I took
golden as I can't get those in the supermarket. What I gathered today looks
exactly like this picture. http://www.mariquita.com/recipes/tomatillos.html