Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lamb shanks

Found 2 packs in the used meat dept the other day:

Salt & pepper & brown the shanks in olive oil. ( I use a cast iron Dutch
oven)

Chop 1 onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1 med carrot, 1 stalk celery & dice 1 roma
tomato.

Sauté the root veggies in the Dutch oven till tender, add the diced tomato
and sauté a little longer. Add some thyme & Greek oregano + the peal of 1/2
a lemon

Add 2 Tablespoons of flour & sauté a few seconds more.

Place the browned shanks on top of the mixture & add 1/2 bottle of red wine
+ 1 cup water.

Cover and cook in a slow oven (250 degrees) for 2 hours - turn up the oven
to 350 and cook another 1/2 hour till tender.

Serve over rice ( spooning the sauce over each shank)

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-24, Dimitri > wrote:
> Found 2 packs in the used meat dept the other day:

Ummm... Just how used were they?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> Found 2 packs in the used meat dept the other day:
>
> Salt & pepper & brown the shanks in olive oil. ( I use a cast iron Dutch
> oven)
>
> Chop 1 onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1 med carrot, 1 stalk celery & dice 1 roma
> tomato.
>
> Sauté the root veggies in the Dutch oven till tender, add the diced tomato
> and sauté a little longer. Add some thyme & Greek oregano + the peal of 1/2
> a lemon
>
> Add 2 Tablespoons of flour & sauté a few seconds more.
>
> Place the browned shanks on top of the mixture & add 1/2 bottle of red wine
> + 1 cup water.
>
> Cover and cook in a slow oven (250 degrees) for 2 hours - turn up the oven
> to 350 and cook another 1/2 hour till tender.
>
> Serve over rice ( spooning the sauce over each shank)
>
> Dimitri

Sounds tasty! I have a pair in the freezer I need to cook up here soon.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2009-08-24, Dimitri > wrote:
>> Found 2 packs in the used meat dept the other day:

> Ummm... Just how used were they?
>
> nb

Well, figure the lamb probably used them for at least a year.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> Found 2 packs in the used meat dept the other day:
>
> Salt & pepper & brown the shanks in olive oil. ( I use a cast iron Dutch
> oven)
>
> Chop 1 onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1 med carrot, 1 stalk celery & dice 1 roma
> tomato.
>
> Sauté the root veggies in the Dutch oven till tender, add the diced tomato
> and sauté a little longer. Add some thyme & Greek oregano + the peal of
> 1/2 a lemon
>
> Add 2 Tablespoons of flour & sauté a few seconds more.
>
> Place the browned shanks on top of the mixture & add 1/2 bottle of red
> wine + 1 cup water.
>
> Cover and cook in a slow oven (250 degrees) for 2 hours - turn up the oven
> to 350 and cook another 1/2 hour till tender.
>
> Serve over rice ( spooning the sauce over each shank)
>
> Dimitri

I usually de-fat the liquid before serving.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> Found 2 packs in the used meat dept the other day:

Beware the common practice of taking old meat,
unpackaging it, washing it to get rid of some of the smell,
coating with an orange-red spice meat, and repackaging
with a new date code under the title "marinated".
A more honest title would be "recycled". Low-class
supermarket butchers do this all the time to refresh meat
that has developed off-odors or poor color.

Sometimes, they will mark up the price and then stick
a 50% off sticker on the package. You aren't saving
a penny, and are in fact being sold greatly inferior
goods if you fall for this scam.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2009-08-24, Dimitri > wrote:
>> Found 2 packs in the used meat dept the other day:

> Ummm... Just how used were they?
>
> nb

At the sell by date for 50% off the day I purchased and froze them.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Beware the common practice of taking old meat,
> unpackaging it, washing it to get rid of some of the smell,
> coating with an orange-red spice meat, and repackaging
> with a new date code under the title "marinated".
> A more honest title would be "recycled". Low-class
> supermarket butchers do this all the time to refresh meat
> that has developed off-odors or poor color.
>
> Sometimes, they will mark up the price and then stick
> a 50% off sticker on the package. You aren't saving
> a penny, and are in fact being sold greatly inferior
> goods if you fall for this scam.

Why in hell would someone go to the discounted meat case, pick up
something obviously toyed with, buy it then consume it? Any one who
would deserves everything they get.

Marinated, injected and ground meats in the discount case are off limits
for me. Only whole unenhanced cuts attract my attention. Even then,
there are times that I *have* found better bargains/prices in the
regular displays. Read every label, and inspect closely. Off odors and
"poor" color, however, in and of themselves, are not necessarily red flags.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
>>
>> Found 2 packs in the used meat dept the other day:

> Beware the common practice of taking old meat,
> unpackaging it, washing it to get rid of some of the smell,
> coating with an orange-red spice meat, and repackaging
> with a new date code under the title "marinated".
> A more honest title would be "recycled". Low-class
> supermarket butchers do this all the time to refresh meat
> that has developed off-odors or poor color.
>
> Sometimes, they will mark up the price and then stick
> a 50% off sticker on the package. You aren't saving
> a penny, and are in fact being sold greatly inferior
> goods if you fall for this scam.

This in fact was sealed in original vacuum cryovac from New Zealand

And if you pay attention to prices and never buy "that marinated junk' I see
nothing wrong with paying 1/2 price.

As example the normal price around here for Flap meat is $5.49 per pound
today I picked up 2 packages @ $3.49 per pound. Short code sure but it will
make great Fajitas.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 09:42:00 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>Found 2 packs in the used meat dept the other day:
>
>Salt & pepper & brown the shanks in olive oil. ( I use a cast iron Dutch
>oven)
>
>Chop 1 onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1 med carrot, 1 stalk celery & dice 1 roma
>tomato.
>
>Sauté the root veggies in the Dutch oven till tender, add the diced tomato
>and sauté a little longer. Add some thyme & Greek oregano + the peal of 1/2
>a lemon
>
>Add 2 Tablespoons of flour & sauté a few seconds more.
>
>Place the browned shanks on top of the mixture & add 1/2 bottle of red wine
>+ 1 cup water.
>
>Cover and cook in a slow oven (250 degrees) for 2 hours - turn up the oven
>to 350 and cook another 1/2 hour till tender.
>
>Serve over rice ( spooning the sauce over each shank)
>
>Dimitri

That sounds wonderful. I love lamb shanks.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> And if you pay attention to prices and never buy "that marinated
> junk' I see nothing wrong with paying 1/2 price.
>
> As example the normal price around here for Flap meat is $5.49 per
> pound today I picked up 2 packages @ $3.49 per pound. Short code
> sure
> but it will make great Fajitas.
>
> Dimitri