Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Adventures in Cooking with No Teeth . . .

I decided I could eat fish - at least I could if it was sauteed. So I
bought some (IQF) Orange Roughy fillets, thawed one, sprinkled it with
lemon pepper and (lightly) dredged it in flour. Sauteed it in a mix
of a bit of butter and a bit of olive oil 3 minutes one one side, two
on the flip side. (Couldn't make a pan sauce - no wine or even juice
in the house. Squeezed a chunk of fresh lime over it. It was really
good! First time in my life i didn't turn fish into a burnt
offering! Next trip to the store I'll get some wine - a bottle of
red, a bottle of white and a bottle of sherry. Last bottle of sherry
lasted several months (I can't drink wine but I can cook with it!)
Lynn in Fargo
PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 22, 10:04*pm, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
> I decided I could eat fish *- at least I could if it was sauteed. So I
> bought some (IQF) Orange Roughy fillets, thawed one, sprinkled it with
> lemon pepper and (lightly) dredged it in flour. *Sauteed it in a mix
> of a bit of butter and a bit of olive oil 3 minutes one one side, two
> on the flip side. *(Couldn't make a pan sauce - no wine or even juice
> in the house. *Squeezed a chunk of fresh lime over it. It was really
> good! *First time in my life i didn't turn fish into a burnt
> offering! *Next trip to the store I'll get some wine - a bottle of
> red, a bottle of white and a bottle of sherry. Last bottle of sherry
> lasted several months (I can't drink wine but I can cook with it!)
> Lynn in Fargo
> PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

Mashed potatos & sweet potatoes, of course. Actually there are many
good vegetable purees,like parsnip & rutabaga.

Creamed spinach or corn (homemade of course )

Spoon bread?

I suppose you could cook your macaroni & cheese very mushy?

Happy "gumming",

Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo" > wrote in message
>I decided I could eat fish -

Where are you teef?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:04:43 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:

>I decided I could eat fish - at least I could if it was sauteed. So I
>bought some (IQF) Orange Roughy fillets, thawed one, sprinkled it with
>lemon pepper and (lightly) dredged it in flour. Sauteed it in a mix
>of a bit of butter and a bit of olive oil 3 minutes one one side, two
>on the flip side. (Couldn't make a pan sauce - no wine or even juice
>in the house. Squeezed a chunk of fresh lime over it. It was really
>good! First time in my life i didn't turn fish into a burnt
>offering! Next trip to the store I'll get some wine - a bottle of
>red, a bottle of white and a bottle of sherry. Last bottle of sherry
>lasted several months (I can't drink wine but I can cook with it!)
>Lynn in Fargo
>PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

Lynn, any of the typical Hungarian/Slovak sides done as
fozolek would work. But, from the South, may I suggest
butter beans? // I make German mashed potatoes, i.e.
boiled potato chunks, tossed in a wok/pot with bacon
drippings, and then with addition of butter and vinegar.
They will disintegrate into mashed potatoes, but not
like we're used to.

Make sure you get the potato toasties off the side of the
pan, as there is so much flavor there. Use lots of parsley,
and don't stint on garlic.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-23, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

squash, mashed potatoes, lemon meringue pie......

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:04:43 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:

>PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

My first thought was squash, but it seems like practically everything
will be ok if it's cooked - even carrots! Items that are too much
work to eat with no teeth can certainly be pureed. This is a great
excuse to make applesauce too.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>I decided I could eat fish - at least I could if it was sauteed.

Congratulations! Really, fish should never need real chewing unless we
speak of broiled swordfish steaks or the like.
Most veg are gummable if over cooked, but eggplant is one of the few that
actually needs to be cooked that long. Dredge slices of it in flour,
eggwash and seasoned flour, then saute in good olive oil until browned and
soft. Doesn't need another thing, but some would grate a bit of hard cheese
over the top.
Hummous, dried fava puree, anything puree in fact, softly fried onions, all
sound good to me... and then there is stuffing. Stuffing is consolation for
a lot in life.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn wrote:

> PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

After sending my previous reply in this thread, I got to thinking about
avocados. They're soft enough to eat without even being mashed, so they're
fair game for the dentally deprived. My first thought was that you could
make a kind of hors d'ouevre with a round of boiled potato topped with a
piece of avocado. The potato could be seasoned with Old Bay, curry, or some
similar spice mixture, or it could be just left alone, or maybe drizzled
with a touch of top-quality olive oil.

Then I started thinking about avocado mousse. Specifically, I wondered if
there *was* such a thing. Googling found both sweet and savory versions, but
the sweet ones seemed kind of unappealing to me. A recipe for crab cakes
with avocado mousse seemed like a pretty good concept, but maybe not soft
enough.

But what about chawanmushi? Chawanmushi is the Japanese version of a quiche.
Where quiches are formed by baking a mixture of eggs and dairy (milk and/or
cream, and usually cheese as well), chawanmushi uses a mixture of eggs and
broth. Chawanmushi are steamed rather than baked, and are softer and more
delicate than quiches.

So maybe a chawanmushi with dashi and salmon, topped with avocado mousse?
The topping could optionally be hit with a flame, to give the topping a kind
of meringue quality.

I also wanted to get cream cheese and avocado together somehow, so I started
considering the idea of a savory avocado cheesecake. Turned out that recipes
exist online for that, too, and it's more than possible that at least one of
them would be suitable for a no-teeth appetizer (or party dish).

Bob, advocating avocado

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> I decided I could eat fish - at least I could if it was sauteed. So I
> bought some (IQF) Orange Roughy fillets, thawed one, sprinkled it with
> lemon pepper and (lightly) dredged it in flour. Sauteed it in a mix
> of a bit of butter and a bit of olive oil 3 minutes one one side, two
> on the flip side. (Couldn't make a pan sauce - no wine or even juice
> in the house. Squeezed a chunk of fresh lime over it. It was really
> good! First time in my life i didn't turn fish into a burnt
> offering! Next trip to the store I'll get some wine - a bottle of
> red, a bottle of white and a bottle of sherry. Last bottle of sherry
> lasted several months (I can't drink wine but I can cook with it!)
> Lynn in Fargo
> PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

Steamed carrots
Steamed potatoes
Steamed cabbage
Avocados
Steamed yams/sweet potatoes
Well cooked onions
Steamed Tarot

To name a few. :-)

Any well cooked soft veggie should be ok.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kris > wrote:

> On Aug 22, 10:04*pm, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
> > I decided I could eat fish *- at least I could if it was sauteed. So I
> > bought some (IQF) Orange Roughy fillets, thawed one, sprinkled it with
> > lemon pepper and (lightly) dredged it in flour. *Sauteed it in a mix
> > of a bit of butter and a bit of olive oil 3 minutes one one side, two
> > on the flip side. *(Couldn't make a pan sauce - no wine or even juice
> > in the house. *Squeezed a chunk of fresh lime over it. It was really
> > good! *First time in my life i didn't turn fish into a burnt
> > offering! *Next trip to the store I'll get some wine - a bottle of
> > red, a bottle of white and a bottle of sherry. Last bottle of sherry
> > lasted several months (I can't drink wine but I can cook with it!)
> > Lynn in Fargo
> > PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

> Mashed potatos & sweet potatoes, of course. Actually there are many
> good vegetable purees,like parsnip & rutabaga.
>
> Creamed spinach or corn (homemade of course )
>
> Spoon bread?
>
> I suppose you could cook your macaroni & cheese very mushy?
>
> Happy "gumming",
>
> Kris

Creamed corn. I'd not thought of that one...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

> Steamed Tarot

I'm almost certain you mean "taro."

"Last night I played poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and three
people died."
---Stephen Wright

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wrote:
>
> > Steamed Tarot

> I'm almost certain you mean "taro."
>
> "Last night I played poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and three
> people died."
> ---Stephen Wright
>

> Bob

Oops! ;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

Rice of any kind
Kasha of any kind (and, BTW, "kasha" does not mean "buckwheat
groats"; kasha is a dish, not an arbitrary ingredient)
Pasta of any kind (perhaps cooked softer than _al dente_)
Purée of celery root "as is", or mixed with mashed potatoes or with
parsley
Potato dumplings
Bread dumplings
Semolina or farina (Cream of Wheat) dumplings
Yeast dumplings
Pease pudding
Poor Man's Caviar
Frijoles refritos or some other bean preparation
Some mild-tasting dal or some other lentil preparation
Mashed potato rissoles with a suitable filling and/or sauce

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo" wrote

>I decided I could eat fish - at least I could if it was sauteed. So I

Good choice and a decent method! Been a bit away from here lately so I'll
have to guess you are pending full dentures and looking for foods that work
for now until it's healed enough?

> PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

Yes but I have to guess at what will appeal to you. Some isn't optimal made
this way but for now, will work well enough. I mean, ya gotta eat!

Cream of corn will work and can be spiffied up with fine chopped clam meats
(mince small).
Canned baby peas with butter and finely minced onions, can make a white
sauce with them if desired.
Squash (yellow works best) simmered to soft with minced onion bits
Canned asparagus tips (soft and lucious)
sticky rice (regular american long grain may be a slight problem)
Mashed potatoes with gravy are obvious
Baked sweet potato or white (I use a crockpot and steam these all the time,
wash but dont dry and add 3 TB water or so and set on low).
Butter beans (large dry limas) made with smoked ham hock (mince ham hock
bits to what you can handle)- crockpot favorite
Carrots simmered with butter then put in blender with heavy non-sweet cream
to make a soup

That help?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 23, 4:18*am, "Bob Terwilliger"

Not to be preachy or anything, but did you know that orange roughy is
> severely overfished?

What fish isn't (aren't)? The shorter list is probl. of those OK to
eat. Do you know of such a list?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 23, 7:27*am, (Victor Sack) wrote:

> Poor Man's Caviar

Is this a dish or nickname?

Ignorant Me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-23, Kalmia > wrote:

> What fish isn't (aren't)? The shorter list is probl. of those OK to
> eat. Do you know of such a list?

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/c..._whatsnew.aspx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 22, 9:20*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Lynn from Fargo" > wrote in ...
>
> >I decided I could eat fish *-

> Where are you teef?

All gone . . . had oral surgery (general anesthesia, thank Alex!) July
27. Am healing slowly (diabetic). Will have impressions and dentures
made when all swelling is gone and all the stitches are removed (end
of September?)

Thanks for asking, sorry I was such a bitch to you (Cybercat) a couple
of days ago. I'm waaaaaaaaaaay too grumpy these days. My September
copies of Gourmet and Cooking Light showed up this week and I read
them both cover to cover. Really BAD idea!

Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 23, 11:34*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> On Aug 23, 7:27*am, (Victor Sack) wrote:
>
> > Poor Man's Caviar

> Is this a dish or nickname?
>
> Ignorant Me

I think it's an eggplant spread.

Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Aug 23, 4:18 am, "Bob Terwilliger"
>
> Not to be preachy or anything, but did you know that orange roughy is
>> severely overfished?

> What fish isn't (aren't)? The shorter list is probl. of those OK to
> eat. Do you know of such a list?

The problem is that orange roughy don't reproduce for many years,
so they don't have time to recover from overfishing much longer. We
won't have to worry about them being endangered much longer, I
guess you can look at it that way.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn wrote:

> I'm waaaaaaaaaaay too grumpy these days. My September copies of Gourmet
> and Cooking Light showed up this week and I read them both cover to
> cover. Really BAD idea!

Heh... I was listening to an old comedy routine from Bill Cosby yesterday.
He was talking about the fact that guys pay money to watch women take their
clothes off, and said, "Where's the logic in that? If you're starving, you
don't pay money to watch some guy cook a steak!"

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 23, 4:10*am, Omelet > wrote:

> Steamed Tarot
>
> Any well cooked soft veggie should be ok.
> --
> Peace! Om

I have several Tarot decks! How long would I have to steam one?
<vbg>
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 09:50:37 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>"Lynn from Fargo" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>>I decided I could eat fish - at least I could if it was sauteed.

>Congratulations! Really, fish should never need real chewing unless we
>speak of broiled swordfish steaks or the like.
>Most veg are gummable if over cooked, but eggplant is one of the few that
>actually needs to be cooked that long. Dredge slices of it in flour,
>eggwash and seasoned flour, then saute in good olive oil until browned and
>soft. Doesn't need another thing, but some would grate a bit of hard cheese
>over the top.
>Hummous, dried fava puree, anything puree in fact, softly fried onions, all
>sound good to me... and then there is stuffing. Stuffing is consolation for
>a lot in life.

Sound like smoothie time. I've had friends who had jaw surgery that
required wiring the jaw in place. Smoothies were the answer to a
maiden's prayer. SWMBO loves the ones with a ripe banana base
(She keeps the 'nanners in the freezer), with berries for extra
flavor.

Alex, who has 2 blenders and a FP, all of which earn their keep.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote:

> On Aug 22, 9:20*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > "Lynn from Fargo" > wrote in
> >
> > m...
> >
> > >I decided I could eat fish *-

> > Where are you teef?

> All gone . . . had oral surgery (general anesthesia, thank Alex!) July
> 27. Am healing slowly (diabetic). Will have impressions and dentures
> made when all swelling is gone and all the stitches are removed (end
> of September?)

Sorry for your loss. :-(

> Thanks for asking, sorry I was such a bitch to you (Cybercat) a couple
> of days ago. I'm waaaaaaaaaaay too grumpy these days. My September
> copies of Gourmet and Cooking Light showed up this week and I read
> them both cover to cover. Really BAD idea!
>
> Lynn in Fargo

I hope all works out for you Lynn! Get better fast. :-)
Millions live with full dentures. I feel most fortunate to not have had
any real dental issues yet (I'm 47) but I know how lucky I am, so I feel
for you.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
>,
Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote:

> On Aug 23, 4:10*am, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > Steamed Tarot
> >
> > Any well cooked soft veggie should be ok.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> I have several Tarot decks! How long would I have to steam one?
> <vbg>
> Lynn in Fargo

<laughs> Ok, so it's a fun typo. :-)

What decks do you have? When I used to read Tarot, I used the Sacred
Rose deck. It's very rich in symbolism.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> I decided I could eat fish - at least I could if it was sauteed. So I
> bought some (IQF) Orange Roughy fillets, thawed one, sprinkled it with
> lemon pepper and (lightly) dredged it in flour. Sauteed it in a mix
> of a bit of butter and a bit of olive oil 3 minutes one one side, two
> on the flip side. (Couldn't make a pan sauce - no wine or even juice
> in the house. Squeezed a chunk of fresh lime over it. It was really
> good! First time in my life i didn't turn fish into a burnt
> offering! Next trip to the store I'll get some wine - a bottle of
> red, a bottle of white and a bottle of sherry. Last bottle of sherry
> lasted several months (I can't drink wine but I can cook with it!)
> Lynn in Fargo
> PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

Spices or herbs to your taste with:

mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes
rice
macaroni and cheese
baked winter squash or boiled and mashed
pureed peas or beans
finely chopped tomatoes with chopped fresh basil,
small cubes of fresh mozzarella oil& vinegar
tzatziki (shredded cucumbers with garlic and yogurt)
roasted eggplant with garlic and olive oil and spices
mashed avocado (aka guacamole)
creamed spinach or other greens
mashed carrots and/or parsnips
pureed broccoli with cheese/cream sauce
pureed cauliflower (South Beach potato substitute)

All kinds of fruit can be pureed into wonderful smoothies
with juice or yogurt or sherbet.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia > wrote:

> (Victor Sack) wrote:
>
> > Poor Man's Caviar

> Is this a dish or nickname?

It is aubergine "caviar", one of the many Russian vegetable "caviars".
It is perhaps the most popular one, alongside the vegetable-marrow
caviar. Here is my recipe, from the rfc cook.book, p. 7.

Poor Man's Caviar (Aubergine Caviar)

2 medium aubergines (eggplants)
2 cloves garlic
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon (optionally) each of parsley, chervil and tarragon, minced
5-6 tablespoons olive oil
a bit of red wine vinegar or lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Bake the aubergines for about 35
minutes or longer until they are soft and their skin is charred. To
peel, plunge them into cold water and the skin will come off easily.
Alternatively, remove the flesh with a teaspoon. Discard the seeds.
Put into the food processor one after another: garlic, then onions, then
tomatoes and then aubergines, chopping them to a not quite purée-like
consistency and putting in the next component after chopping the
previous one. The 'caviar' should be a tiny bit chunky, not too smooth.
(The classic method is to chop everything by hand, of course). Remove
everything from the food processor to a mixing bowl and add 4
tablespoons of olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and, optionally, the
minced herbs. Mix together thoroughly. Heat the remaining olive oil in
the skillet over moderate heat and pour in the aubergine mixture. Bring
to the boil, stirring constantly, then turn the heat to low and simmer
until the excessive moisture in the pan has evaporated. If necessary,
add more salt, pepper and vinegar (or lemon juice). Transfer the
'caviar' to a bowl and chill until ready to serve. Serve with crusty
bread.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig" > wrote :

>Thanks for asking, sorry I was such a bitch to you (Cybercat) a couple
>of days ago. I'm waaaaaaaaaaay too grumpy these days.

It's okay. I am always showing my butt in here. Hope you feel better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> On Aug 23, 7:27 am, (Victor Sack) wrote:
>
> > Poor Man's Caviar

> Is this a dish or nickname?

It's okra.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Endangered fish list

> Kalmia wrote:
>> On Aug 23, 4:18 am, "Bob Terwilliger"
>>
>> Not to be preachy or anything, but did you know that orange roughy is
>>> severely overfished?

>> What fish isn't (aren't)? The shorter list is probl. of those OK to
>> eat. Do you know of such a list?

If you Google endangered fish list you'll get hundreds of hits.

A pretty good one is from the Monterey Bay Aquarium folk:

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/seafoodwatch.aspx

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:15:32 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

>On Aug 22, 10:04*pm, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

Lynn:

SWMBO had some dental surgery some months ago.
She had a similar prob..... what to eat during rehab.

I came up with this:

1 lb dried split peas
2 Q water
1 hambone or = Ham flavoring
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp crushed dried marjoram
1/4 tsp dried rubbed thyme
dash black pepper
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrot
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste

This was satisfactory, and loaded with protein,
which, IMHO, helped in rehab. SHe told her dentist
about it, and he asked for a copy. He now gives it
to all his surgery patients to prevent nutritional
problems while healing.

It also tastes good.

Best of luck....

Eat your peas.

Alex, who purees this with a wand blender.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 15:14:01 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Kalmia wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 23, 7:27 am, (Victor Sack) wrote:
>>
>> > Poor Man's Caviar

>> Is this a dish or nickname?

>It's okra.

Huh??

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:

> Thanks for asking, sorry I was such a bitch to you (Cybercat) a couple
> of days ago. I'm waaaaaaaaaaay too grumpy these days. My September
> copies of Gourmet and Cooking Light showed up this week and I read
> them both cover to cover. Really BAD idea!
>
> Lynn in Fargo

That is a nice thing you said, Lynn. You got class, I like that. Hope
you heal speedy quick and get your new choppers.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Chemiker wrote:

(snip)

> Eat your peas.

I DON'T THINK SO!!!!! Just kidding. I know a lot of folks (other
than me) eat peas. Peanut butter works well too, I think?

Sky, charter member of PEAs

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'd do okay cooking without teeth, Lynn, but if I didn't have a pan or a
skillet, I'd be a screwed goose. "-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> I decided I could eat fish - at least I could if it was sauteed. So I
> bought some (IQF) Orange Roughy fillets, thawed one, sprinkled it with
> lemon pepper and (lightly) dredged it in flour. Sauteed it in a mix
> of a bit of butter and a bit of olive oil 3 minutes one one side, two
> on the flip side. (Couldn't make a pan sauce - no wine or even juice
> in the house. Squeezed a chunk of fresh lime over it. It was really
> good! First time in my life i didn't turn fish into a burnt
> offering! Next trip to the store I'll get some wine - a bottle of
> red, a bottle of white and a bottle of sherry. Last bottle of sherry
> lasted several months (I can't drink wine but I can cook with it!)
> Lynn in Fargo
> PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

I'm 62 years old and other than my wisdom teeth I'm missing only
two more, both on the top, on the same side. But the rest of my teeth
could go at any time. I have too many teeth to be an expert on
toothlessness. Still I wonder if there's a point where too many could
get in the way. For instance, let's say you're missing all your
uppers, but all the lowers are still there. Those lower ones could
get in the way. Your upper gums would not be happy. I really believe
I could still eat well without teeth. I've been thinking about it
this lately, it's no big deal, no more a big deal than it was when you
were a child without teeth - toss out everything unchewable and put
your gums to work on the rest.

Tommy Joe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> I decided I could eat fish - at least I could if it was sauteed. So I
> bought some (IQF) Orange Roughy fillets, thawed one, sprinkled it with
> lemon pepper and (lightly) dredged it in flour. Sauteed it in a mix
> of a bit of butter and a bit of olive oil 3 minutes one one side, two
> on the flip side. (Couldn't make a pan sauce - no wine or even juice
> in the house. Squeezed a chunk of fresh lime over it. It was really
> good! First time in my life i didn't turn fish into a burnt
> offering! Next trip to the store I'll get some wine - a bottle of
> red, a bottle of white and a bottle of sherry. Last bottle of sherry
> lasted several months (I can't drink wine but I can cook with it!)
> Lynn in Fargo
> PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

In the same way that nearly blind people put on sunglasses and a
cane to prepare for the future, so too should we who are nearly
toothless for ours.

Tommy Joe (learning how to live without them before it actually
happens)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 23, 11:52*am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote:
>
> > On Aug 23, 4:10*am, Omelet > wrote:

> > > Steamed Tarot

> > > Any well cooked soft veggie should be ok.
> > > --
> > > Peace! Om

> > I have several Tarot decks! *How long would I have to steam one?
> > <vbg>
> > Lynn in Fargo

> <laughs> Ok, so it's a fun typo. :-)
>
> What decks do you have? *When I used to read Tarot, I used the Sacred
> Rose deck. It's very rich in symbolism.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down."
> --Steve Rothstein
>

> Subscribe:

I have a Rider Waite deck that's 40 years old. That's what I use most
often. My daughter and her best-freind-almost-my other-daughter gave
me the "Sacred Circle" tarot (Llewellyn) and my sister gave me a deck
of cards called "The Goddess Oracle" (ELEMENT - a division of Harper
Collins). I really like those - 52 goddesses from many cultures with
attributes. Very free-form for reading - make up your own spread. I
want a Robin Wood deck. (google) just for the amazing art!
Lynn in Fargo