Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Adventures in Cooking with No Teeth . . .

On Aug 23, 4:27*pm, Kajikit > wrote:
> And they didn't give you temporary teeth right away? Ouch! When my
> mother got her top plate I was surprised that she came home from the
> dentist with new teeth in place the same day.
> --

I opted not to get the temporary ones because you still have to get
them refitted when the swelling goes down. Also this is Medicaid and
just finding a dentist who will do dentures at all is like . . .
um . . . pulling teeth!

Also there were 20+ teeth (none really totally healthy) left and the
"before" impressions would not have afforded a good fit anyway. The
surgeon took out roots and some bond - ALL of my gums are full of
"self dissolving" (HAH!) stitches.

Lynn in Fargo
Thank Alex for 20% benzocaine liquid & gel!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 23, 5:54*pm, Chemiker > wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:15:32 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>
> >On Aug 22, 10:04*pm, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> Lynn:
>
> SWMBO had some dental surgery some months ago.
> She had a similar prob..... what to eat during rehab.
>
> I came up with this:
>
> 1 lb dried split peas
> 2 Q water
> 1 hambone or = Ham flavoring
> 1 cup chopped onion
> 1/4 tsp garlic powder
> 1/4 tsp crushed dried marjoram
> 1/4 tsp dried rubbed thyme
> dash black pepper
> 1 cup chopped celery
> 1 cup chopped carrot
> 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
>
> This was satisfactory, and loaded with protein,
> which, IMHO, helped in rehab. SHe told her dentist
> about it, and he asked for a copy. He now gives it
> to all his surgery patients to prevent nutritional
> problems while healing.
>
> It also tastes good.
>
> Best of luck....
>
> Eat your peas.
>
> Alex, who purees this with a wand blender.

Thanks! I made bean soup two weeks ago. There's another ham hock in
the freezer and split peas in the cupboard!
Lynn in Fargo
Got a wand blender!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote in news:f18797e3-b05f-4f65-bf7b-
on Aug Mon 2009 am

> On Aug 23, 5:54*pm, Chemiker > wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:15:32 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >On Aug 22, 10:04*pm, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

>> Lynn:
>>
>> SWMBO had some dental surgery some months ago.
>> She had a similar prob..... what to eat during rehab.
>>
>> I came up with this:
>>
>> 1 lb dried split peas
>> 2 Q water
>> 1 hambone or = Ham flavoring
>> 1 cup chopped onion
>> 1/4 tsp garlic powder
>> 1/4 tsp crushed dried marjoram
>> 1/4 tsp dried rubbed thyme
>> dash black pepper
>> 1 cup chopped celery
>> 1 cup chopped carrot
>> 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
>>
>> This was satisfactory, and loaded with protein,
>> which, IMHO, helped in rehab. SHe told her dentist
>> about it, and he asked for a copy. He now gives it
>> to all his surgery patients to prevent nutritional
>> problems while healing.
>>
>> It also tastes good.
>>
>> Best of luck....
>>
>> Eat your peas.
>>
>> Alex, who purees this with a wand blender.

> Thanks! I made bean soup two weeks ago. There's another ham hock in
> the freezer and split peas in the cupboard!
> Lynn in Fargo
> Got a wand blender!

This is really tasty and very versatile.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Nancy's Chicken Tortilla Soup

Soups/Chowders/Stews

1 medium onion chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
1 carrot; chopped
2-3 garlic cloves minced
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 4 oz can green chiles
1 15oz can italian herbed tomatoes chopped; with juice
4 cups chicken stock; 4 -6 cups
1 tsp lemon pepper use a strong brand
2 tsp worchester sauce
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin powder
1/2 tsp hot sauce (to taste)
1/2 cup water
4 tbsp flour
1 lb chicken parts skinned and de-boned; i use thighs
1/3 cup sour cream; see note

In a heavy large dutch oven over medium heat soften the onion carrot and
celery in the oil. Add the minced garlic and cook about one more minute.
Add the green chiles and the chopped tomatoes, then add the chicken stock
and the seasoning. Simmer for about 20 minutes.

In a small bowl stir together the flour and water then add to soup. Simmer
5 minutes more.

Add the chopped chicken meat. Simmer about 5 minutes more.

stir in the sour cream and serve.

Best served with corn tortilla chips .

Note if you are going to freeze parts of this don't add the sour cream till
ready to serve. Sour cream doesn't freeze well.

Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote in news:f18797e3-b05f-4f65-bf7b-
on Aug Mon 2009 am

> On Aug 23, 5:54*pm, Chemiker > wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:15:32 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >On Aug 22, 10:04*pm, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

>> Lynn:
>>
>> SWMBO had some dental surgery some months ago.
>> She had a similar prob..... what to eat during rehab.
>>
>> I came up with this:
>>
>> 1 lb dried split peas
>> 2 Q water
>> 1 hambone or = Ham flavoring
>> 1 cup chopped onion
>> 1/4 tsp garlic powder
>> 1/4 tsp crushed dried marjoram
>> 1/4 tsp dried rubbed thyme
>> dash black pepper
>> 1 cup chopped celery
>> 1 cup chopped carrot
>> 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
>>
>> This was satisfactory, and loaded with protein,
>> which, IMHO, helped in rehab. SHe told her dentist
>> about it, and he asked for a copy. He now gives it
>> to all his surgery patients to prevent nutritional
>> problems while healing.
>>
>> It also tastes good.
>>
>> Best of luck....
>>
>> Eat your peas.
>>
>> Alex, who purees this with a wand blender.

> Thanks! I made bean soup two weeks ago. There's another ham hock in
> the freezer and split peas in the cupboard!
> Lynn in Fargo
> Got a wand blender!

This too is good.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Al's Bean And Sausage Soup

Soups/Chowders/Stews

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 pound kielbasa sausage, diced
4 large garlic cloves, chopped (7)
1 bulb fennel; chopped
1 onion; chopped
2 carrots; chopped
10 large Button mushrooms; chopped
1 celery heart with leaves
1 small bag spinach leaves or 1/2 small cabbage
3 900 ml box chicken broth
4 cups water; plus
2 tbsp redibase turkey stock
2 15 oz cans can navy beans
1 15 oz can can diced tomatoes with herbs
1 500ml ctner sour cream
1 tbsp crushed red peppers; heaping
1 bunch fresh dill; mjnced

Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and
garlic and sauté until sausage is lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add in
crushed peppers,fennel,onion, carrot, mushrooms and celery,;cook about 5
minutes more. Add broth, water, turkey stock navy beans with their juices
and spinach. Simmer until flavors blend and soup thickens slightly, about
20 minutes. Stir in the sour cream and dill simmer 5 more minutes. Season
to taste with salt and pepper.

Ladle soup into bowls.

10-3 cup servings approx

Replacing the spinach with cabbage works well.

could use more sour cream

0

Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
>,
Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote:

> > > I have several Tarot decks! *How long would I have to steam one?
> > > <vbg>
> > > Lynn in Fargo

> > <laughs> Ok, so it's a fun typo. :-)
> >
> > What decks do you have? *When I used to read Tarot, I used the Sacred
> > Rose deck. It's very rich in symbolism.

> I have a Rider Waite deck that's 40 years old. That's what I use most
> often. My daughter and her best-freind-almost-my other-daughter gave
> me the "Sacred Circle" tarot (Llewellyn) and my sister gave me a deck
> of cards called "The Goddess Oracle" (ELEMENT - a division of Harper
> Collins). I really like those - 52 goddesses from many cultures with
> attributes. Very free-form for reading - make up your own spread. I
> want a Robin Wood deck. (google) just for the amazing art!
> Lynn in Fargo

I'll have to look for the Goddess Oracle. Sounds interesting. I've seen
the Robin Wood deck and I agree the artwork is wonderful. I bought The
Witches Tarot some years ago but have rarely used it. Mom had one that
I can't recall the exact title, but it was dedicated to cat artwork.

Many stores keep one deck open so one can look at all the cards before
choosing a deck. Only problem is that some people often steal specific
cards from them. :-(
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:

> My September
> copies of Gourmet and Cooking Light showed up this week and I read
> them both cover to cover. Really BAD idea!

Lynn, Didn't I warn you about that sort of thing? When will you
learn? ;-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kate Connally > wrote:

> Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:
>
> > My September
> > copies of Gourmet and Cooking Light showed up this week and I read
> > them both cover to cover. Really BAD idea!

> Lynn, Didn't I warn you about that sort of thing? When will you
> learn? ;-)
>
> Kate

Sounds like subscriptions I might be interested in!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kate Connally > wrote:

> Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:
>
> > My September
> > copies of Gourmet and Cooking Light showed up this week and I read
> > them both cover to cover. Really BAD idea!

> Lynn, Didn't I warn you about that sort of thing? When will you
> learn? ;-)
>
> Kate

Ps, can someone please send me subscription cards for these?
I don't like putting my CC info' on the internet if I can avoid it...

This e-mail works. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 23, 12:52*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote:
>
> > On Aug 23, 4:10*am, Omelet > wrote:

> > > Steamed Tarot

> > > Any well cooked soft veggie should be ok.
> > > --
> > > Peace! Om

> > I have several Tarot decks! *How long would I have to steam one?
> > <vbg>
> > Lynn in Fargo

> <laughs> Ok, so it's a fun typo. :-)
>
> What decks do you have? *When I used to read Tarot, I used the Sacred
> Rose deck. It's very rich in symbolism.

I remember when that deck came out! I have one that is very weird
(haven't used it in ages and forget the name) that is remarkably
accurate for reading.

the I Ching is my preferred reading aid, tho, since I can collect new
sticks for throwing each year.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
maxine > wrote:

> On Aug 23, 12:52*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > *Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote:

> > > I have several Tarot decks! *How long would I have to steam one?
> > > <vbg>
> > > Lynn in Fargo

> > <laughs> Ok, so it's a fun typo. :-)
> >
> > What decks do you have? *When I used to read Tarot, I used the Sacred
> > Rose deck. It's very rich in symbolism.

> I remember when that deck came out! I have one that is very weird
> (haven't used it in ages and forget the name) that is remarkably
> accurate for reading.
>
> the I Ching is my preferred reading aid, tho, since I can collect new
> sticks for throwing each year.
>
> maxine in ri

I've used the I-ching in the past too, but used cards rather than sticks.
I've also done rune reading.

Runes are fun!

Sometimes combining them can get you more clarification imho.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Kate Connally > wrote:
>
>> Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:
>>
>>> My September
>>> copies of Gourmet and Cooking Light showed up this week and I read
>>> them both cover to cover. Really BAD idea!

>> Lynn, Didn't I warn you about that sort of thing? When will you
>> learn? ;-)
>>
>> Kate

> Ps, can someone please send me subscription cards for these?
> I don't like putting my CC info' on the internet if I can avoid it...
>
> This e-mail works. :-)

You can go to any bookstore and flip open the pages of desired magazines
and all the subscription cards you could ever want will drop out. No one
buying the issue will *ever* miss one of the many.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> I decided I could eat fish - at least I could if it was sauteed. So I
> bought some (IQF) Orange Roughy fillets, thawed one, sprinkled it with
> lemon pepper and (lightly) dredged it in flour. Sauteed it in a mix
> of a bit of butter and a bit of olive oil 3 minutes one one side, two
> on the flip side. (Couldn't make a pan sauce - no wine or even juice
> in the house. Squeezed a chunk of fresh lime over it. It was really
> good! First time in my life i didn't turn fish into a burnt
> offering! Next trip to the store I'll get some wine - a bottle of
> red, a bottle of white and a bottle of sherry. Last bottle of sherry
> lasted several months (I can't drink wine but I can cook with it!)
> Lynn in Fargo
> PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

Hi Lynn - I was thinking that if you are really in need of some beef, a
pot roast that is fork tender might well hit the spot :-) Some of the
other stuff you roast with it, might well be tasty and flavorized just
right.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Muncie" > wrote

> Hi Lynn - I was thinking that if you are really in need of some beef, a
> pot roast that is fork tender might well hit the spot :-) Some of the
> other stuff you roast with it, might well be tasty and flavorized just
> right.

My slow simmered chili--any recipe, actually, as long as it is simmered for
a couple of hours so the gr. beef is very tender, would be ideal. We just
had some.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Bob Muncie" > wrote
>> Hi Lynn - I was thinking that if you are really in need of some beef, a
>> pot roast that is fork tender might well hit the spot :-) Some of the
>> other stuff you roast with it, might well be tasty and flavorized just
>> right.

> My slow simmered chili--any recipe, actually, as long as it is simmered for
> a couple of hours so the gr. beef is very tender, would be ideal. We just
> had some.

I thought about chili also, but I use rare ~ medium rare steak thats
cooked outside the chili. So I didn't think of it as a toothless meal :-)

I keep pumping my style which is to cook the beef separate (any roast
will do), slice thin, and add to the bowl as is prior to adding chili,
soup, or stew stuff. The hot stuff warms the meat to edible temps, and I
still get the beef in the cooked state I prefer. BTW, the cooking
juices, or deglazing normally goes into the stew, soup, or chili stuff
while still cooking.

But I'd try yours if offered :-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 07:13:20 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
> wrote:

>On Aug 23, 11:52*am, Omelet > wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>> *Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote:

>> What decks do you have? *When I used to read Tarot, I used the Sacred
>> Rose deck. It's very rich in symbolism.

>I have a Rider Waite deck that's 40 years old. That's what I use most
>often. My daughter and her best-freind-almost-my other-daughter gave
>me the "Sacred Circle" tarot (Llewellyn) and my sister gave me a deck
>of cards called "The Goddess Oracle" (ELEMENT - a division of Harper
>Collins). I really like those - 52 goddesses from many cultures with
>attributes. Very free-form for reading - make up your own spread. I
>want a Robin Wood deck. (google) just for the amazing art!
>Lynn in Fargo

Yeager Tarot of Meditation.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Kate Connally > wrote:

> >> Lynn, Didn't I warn you about that sort of thing? When will you
> >> learn? ;-)
> >>
> >> Kate

> > Ps, can someone please send me subscription cards for these?
> > I don't like putting my CC info' on the internet if I can avoid it...
> >
> > This e-mail works. :-)

> You can go to any bookstore and flip open the pages of desired magazines
> and all the subscription cards you could ever want will drop out. No one
> buying the issue will *ever* miss one of the many.

There's a thought, thanks!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Kalmia wrote:
> >
> > On Aug 23, 7:27 am, (Victor Sack) wrote:
> >
> > > Poor Man's Caviar

> > Is this a dish or nickname?

> It's okra.

Heh! A nice word play.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chemiker > wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 07:13:20 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
> > wrote:
>
> >On Aug 23, 11:52*am, Omelet > wrote:
> >> In article
> >> *Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote:

> >> What decks do you have? *When I used to read Tarot, I used the Sacred
> >> Rose deck. It's very rich in symbolism.

> >I have a Rider Waite deck that's 40 years old. That's what I use most
> >often. My daughter and her best-freind-almost-my other-daughter gave
> >me the "Sacred Circle" tarot (Llewellyn) and my sister gave me a deck
> >of cards called "The Goddess Oracle" (ELEMENT - a division of Harper
> >Collins). I really like those - 52 goddesses from many cultures with
> >attributes. Very free-form for reading - make up your own spread. I
> >want a Robin Wood deck. (google) just for the amazing art!
> >Lynn in Fargo

> Yeager Tarot of Meditation.
>
> Alex

Ok, I just googled that one. Nice artwork indeed. :-)
And good symbolism from what I briefly looked at.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe: