Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Embrochette" Atchafalaya Cafe Style

Anybody make this at home? I have googled up some recipes, and they all vary
a bit from what I recall having at this Houston restaurant many years ago.

It was scallops and oysters wrapped tightly in bacon, skewered and grilled,
served with lemon and some kind of red sauce for dipping that was not
cocktail, not bbq, something kind of in between.

I don't own a functioning grill, so am going to to it in the broiler, I
think.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:47:59 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>Anybody make this at home? I have googled up some recipes, and they all vary
>a bit from what I recall having at this Houston restaurant many years ago.
>
>It was scallops and oysters wrapped tightly in bacon, skewered and grilled,
>served with lemon and some kind of red sauce for dipping that was not
>cocktail, not bbq, something kind of in between.

Never even heard of Embrochette - although my son does wrap shrimp
with bacon, skewer and grill it.

>I don't own a functioning grill, so am going to to it in the broiler, I
>think.

Sounds like you need to scout out a grill pan at a yard sale! They're
pretty handy to keep around.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> Anybody make this at home? I have googled up some recipes, and they all vary
> a bit from what I recall having at this Houston restaurant many years ago.
>
> It was scallops and oysters wrapped tightly in bacon, skewered and grilled,
> served with lemon and some kind of red sauce for dipping that was not
> cocktail, not bbq, something kind of in between.
>
> I don't own a functioning grill, so am going to to it in the broiler, I
> think.

Sounds good, let us know how it turns out. I enjoyed the Atchafalya
Cafe, I liked the variety in the basket of bread they brought to the
table. This was the first time I ever tasted sweet corn bread. Ugh, I
thought, "what is this!", later I came to like it. lol

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 20, 2:47*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> Anybody make this at home? I have googled up some recipes, and they all vary
> a bit from what I recall having at this Houston restaurant many years ago..
>
> It was scallops and oysters wrapped tightly in bacon, skewered and grilled,
> served with lemon and some kind of red sauce for dipping that was not
> cocktail, not bbq, something kind of in between.
>
> I don't own a functioning grill, so am going to to it in the broiler, I
> think.

I don't make it by that name, but I've grilled scallops with bacon. I
found it works better when I pre-cook the bacon about halfway done
before wrapping the scallops (or shrimp) with it. That way you don't
have to overcook the seafood to get the bacon done.

As to the sauce it was probably something Creole, but the sauce
remoulade I posted several days ago would also work. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote
> Sounds good, let us know how it turns out. I enjoyed the Atchafalya Cafe,
> I liked the variety in the basket of bread they brought to the table.

I forgot all about that! Did you go when the waiters wore the lobster hats?

This was the first time I ever tasted sweet corn bread. Ugh, I
> thought, "what is this!", later I came to like it. lol

haha! I like it all. I really like jap cornbread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
>> Anybody make this at home? I have googled up some recipes, and they
>> all vary a bit from what I recall having at this Houston restaurant
>> many years ago.
>>
>> It was scallops and oysters wrapped tightly in bacon, skewered and
>> grilled, served with lemon and some kind of red sauce for dipping that
>> was not cocktail, not bbq, something kind of in between.
>>
>> I don't own a functioning grill, so am going to to it in the broiler,
>> I think.

> Sounds good, let us know how it turns out. I enjoyed the Atchafalya
> Cafe, I liked the variety in the basket of bread they brought to the
> table. This was the first time I ever tasted sweet corn bread. Ugh, I
> thought, "what is this!", later I came to like it. lol
>

> Becca

Grilled or broiled oysters wrapped in bacon was called "Angels on
Horseback" back in the sixties. Pretty good too.

I ate at the Atchafalya Cafe a couple of times in the early nineties but
don't remember it as being especially good. May just be my fading memory.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:47:59 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>> Anybody make this at home? I have googled up some recipes, and they all vary
>> a bit from what I recall having at this Houston restaurant many years ago.
>>
>> It was scallops and oysters wrapped tightly in bacon, skewered and grilled,
>> served with lemon and some kind of red sauce for dipping that was not
>> cocktail, not bbq, something kind of in between.

> Never even heard of Embrochette - although my son does wrap shrimp
> with bacon, skewer and grill it.

En brochette is the method of cooking. Skewers, usually grilled, y'know?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:05:11 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:47:59 -0400, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Anybody make this at home? I have googled up some recipes, and they all vary
>>> a bit from what I recall having at this Houston restaurant many years ago.
>>>
>>> It was scallops and oysters wrapped tightly in bacon, skewered and grilled,
>>> served with lemon and some kind of red sauce for dipping that was not
>>> cocktail, not bbq, something kind of in between.

>> Never even heard of Embrochette - although my son does wrap shrimp
>> with bacon, skewer and grill it.

>En brochette is the method of cooking. Skewers, usually grilled, y'know?

We don't put on airs and use French words like en brochette at my
house if we don't have to. So what is eMbrochette - a Suthin term?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

>> It was scallops and oysters wrapped tightly in bacon, skewered and
>> grilled, served with lemon and some kind of red sauce for dipping that
>> was not cocktail, not bbq, something kind of in between.
>>

> As to the sauce it was probably something Creole, but the sauce remoulade
> I posted several days ago would also work.

That's what I was thinking initially, but then it occurred to me that any
number of alternate approaches could be taken: It would probably be good
with a spicy pineapple sauce, for example. A mignonette with champagne
vinegar and jalapeños would also add a nice piquancy.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:05:11 -0400, Goomba >
> wrote:
>
>>sf wrote:

>>> Never even heard of Embrochette - although my son does wrap shrimp
>>> with bacon, skewer and grill it.

>>En brochette is the method of cooking. Skewers, usually grilled, y'know?

> We don't put on airs and use French words like en brochette at my
> house if we don't have to. So what is eMbrochette - a Suthin term?

It's the way I remember a menu item from over 20 years ago in Houston.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:47:48 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>It's the way I remember a menu item from over 20 years ago in Houston.

Fair enough.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 08:45:30 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:47:48 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>>It's the way I remember a menu item from over 20 years ago in Houston.

> Fair enough.

i think it has something to do with playing a trumpet.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 20, 8:16*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:05:11 -0400, Goomba >
> wrote:
>
> >sf wrote:

> >> Never even heard of Embrochette - although my son does wrap shrimp
> >> with bacon, skewer and grill it.

> >En brochette is the method of cooking. Skewers, usually grilled, y'know?

> We don't put on airs and use French words like en brochette at my
> house if we don't have to. *So what is eMbrochette - a Suthin term?
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Embrochette is not a word at all. Ambouchere refers to the mouth shape
and positioning of lips and tongue when playing brass/woodwind
musical instruments.
Lynn in Fargo
PS: If you google embrochette you get lots of sites from other
misinformed folks who don't know their face from a sharp stick.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 08:45:30 -0700, sf wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:47:48 -0400, "cybercat" >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>It's the way I remember a menu item from over 20 years ago in Houston.

>>Fair enough.

> i think it has something to do with playing a trumpet.

I thought it was a variation on needlepoint.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig" > wrote in message
On Aug 20, 8:16 pm, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:05:11 -0400, Goomba >
> wrote:
>
> >sf wrote:

> >> Never even heard of Embrochette - although my son does wrap shrimp
> >> with bacon, skewer and grill it.

> >En brochette is the method of cooking. Skewers, usually grilled, y'know?

> We don't put on airs and use French words like en brochette at my
> house if we don't have to. So what is eMbrochette - a Suthin term?
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

>Embrochette is not a word at all. Ambouchere refers to the mouth shape
>and positioning of lips and tongue when playing brass/woodwind
>musical instruments.
>Lynn in Fargo
>PS: If you google embrochette you get lots of sites from other
>misinformed folks who don't know their face from a sharp stick.

Dood. Did you miss the part where I said the word was my way of remembering
the menu item "Enbrochette" from 20 years ago? What a bunch of dickheads.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 08:45:30 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:47:48 -0400, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>It's the way I remember a menu item from over 20 years ago in Houston.

>> Fair enough.

> i think it has something to do with playing a trumpet.

They were arranged in little trumpet shapes. As I recall.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 08:45:30 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:47:48 -0400, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It's the way I remember a menu item from over 20 years ago in Houston.

>> Fair enough.

> i think it has something to do with playing a trumpet.
>
> your pal,
> blake

LOL, that's right.. it does sound a bit like enbouchure
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 08:45:30 -0700, sf wrote:

>>> Fair enough.

>> i think it has something to do with playing a trumpet.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> LOL, that's right.. it does sound a bit like enbouchure

make that embouchure!
And brass instrument playing musicians are the *best* kissers! They've
got great embouchure.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> I forgot all about that! Did you go when the waiters wore the lobster hats?
>

> This was the first time I ever tasted sweet corn bread. Ugh, I
>
>> thought, "what is this!", later I came to like it. lol
>>

> haha! I like it all. I really like jap cornbread.

Gosh, I am trying to remember the lobster hats, but it is not coming to
me. They do give you Mardi Gras beads along with your bill, that much I
remember. The food is good, but the restaurant is under priced, even
for the Houston area, the most expensive item on their menu was $10, but
they may have gone up. I liked the Shrimp Embrocette, but all of their
food was good.

The man who owns the Atchafalaya River Cafe also owns the Monument Inn.
When I was a kid, we used to eat at the Monument Inn every weekend, they
would bring out trays and trays of oysters on the half shell. Kids eat
dinner in about 5 minutes, but the adults take, what feels like,
forever. That I remember.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 13:14:59 -0500, Kathleen wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 08:45:30 -0700, sf wrote:

>>>Fair enough.

>> i think it has something to do with playing a trumpet.

> I thought it was a variation on needlepoint.

o.k., you got me there. what is the needlepoint word that 'embrochette' is
a malaprop for?

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote:

> what is the needlepoint word that 'embrochette' is a malaprop for?

Embroidery.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:52:07 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> blake wrote:
>
>> what is the needlepoint word that 'embrochette' is a malaprop for?

> Embroidery.
>
> Bob

i was thinking it would be something a little closer.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote:

>>> what is the needlepoint word that 'embrochette' is a malaprop for?

>> Embroidery.

> i was thinking it would be something a little closer.

I can't say with 100% certainty that it's what Kathleen had in mind; maybe
she can clarify.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:52:07 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>

>>blake wrote:
>>

>>>what is the needlepoint word that 'embrochette' is a malaprop for?

>>Embroidery.
>>
>>Bob

> i was thinking it would be something a little closer.

A hybrid needlecraft, somewhere between embroidery and crochet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:52:07 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
>> blake wrote:
>>
>>> what is the needlepoint word that 'embrochette' is a malaprop for?

>> Embroidery.
>>
>> Bob

> i was thinking it would be something a little closer.

Crochet.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

>>> Embroidery.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> i was thinking it would be something a little closer.

> A hybrid needlecraft, somewhere between embroidery and crochet.

And by the way, I totally made that up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 11:43:08 -0500, Kathleen wrote:

> Kathleen wrote:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:

>>> i was thinking it would be something a little closer.

>> A hybrid needlecraft, somewhere between embroidery and crochet.
>>

> And by the way, I totally made that up.

a portmanteau!

your pal,
blake