Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default measurement question

I went through some archived recipes today and found one in grams and
"glasses". I googled and glasses are mainly modern measurements for
beer (and wine).

Question: Does anyone know what the old fashioned "one glass"
converts to in teaspoons, tablespoons or maybe a fraction of a cup?

I vaguely remember reading about measuring by "glass" and picturing an
old fashioned sherry glass. If that's the case, I have one which
measures at 4 tablespoons, *exactly*.

TIA

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I went through some archived recipes today and found one in grams and
> "glasses". I googled and glasses are mainly modern measurements for
> beer (and wine).
>
> Question: Does anyone know what the old fashioned "one glass"
> converts to in teaspoons, tablespoons or maybe a fraction of a cup?
>
> I vaguely remember reading about measuring by "glass" and picturing an
> old fashioned sherry glass. If that's the case, I have one which
> measures at 4 tablespoons, *exactly*.
>
> TIA

Was that a formal recipe in a cookbook? Or was it from grandma's stash? If
the latter, she may be talking about jelly glasses, something we commonly
had in the house as kids. I think they were 8 ounces, as were sour cream
glasses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in news:8g7p859k4vhqp037gjucp4jk58479rv2tg@
4ax.com:

> I went through some archived recipes today and found one in grams and
> "glasses". I googled and glasses are mainly modern measurements for
> beer (and wine).
>
> Question: Does anyone know what the old fashioned "one glass"
> converts to in teaspoons, tablespoons or maybe a fraction of a cup?
>
> I vaguely remember reading about measuring by "glass" and picturing an
> old fashioned sherry glass. If that's the case, I have one which
> measures at 4 tablespoons, *exactly*.
>
> TIA

http://kopiaste.org/2008/11/measurements/

Apparently they still use the 'glass' measurement in Greece........

"I will try from now on to be more specific in my recipes and especially
in baking. We measure with (tea) cups or glasses (which are about 200 ml
in capacity) but again how can someone know what kind of cup or glass I
am using? I’ve had some questions about my measurements, so I have
decided from now on to use either cups or grams.

Personally I also have problems converting butter measurements and I am
sure that others as well will have similar problems so according to some
measurements I have found on the internet, I shall use these as a
guideline for my recipes.

Regarding my older recipes, each time I make the recipe again, I update
it with cups or grams but as a guideline, I have filled a tea cup and a
water glass with 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of sugar and you can see that
the cup and the glass are not full, so now you can get the picture that
in my older recipes when I say 1 glass of flour or sugar it is more than
1 cup.

1. Flour: (my old measurements 1 glass = 120 grams)

1a. Semolina: (my old measurements 1 glass = 140 grams)

2. Sugar: (my old measurements 1 glass = 175 grams)

3. Fluid: (my old measurements 1 glass = 215 grams or about 200 ml)

4. Butter (250 grams):"

HTH.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL2 wrote:
> sf > wrote in news:8g7p859k4vhqp037gjucp4jk58479rv2tg@
> 4ax.com:
>
>> I went through some archived recipes today and found one in grams and
>> "glasses". I googled and glasses are mainly modern measurements for
>> beer (and wine).
>>
>> Question: Does anyone know what the old fashioned "one glass"
>> converts to in teaspoons, tablespoons or maybe a fraction of a cup?
>>
>> I vaguely remember reading about measuring by "glass" and picturing an
>> old fashioned sherry glass. If that's the case, I have one which
>> measures at 4 tablespoons, *exactly*.
>>
>> TIA
>>

> http://kopiaste.org/2008/11/measurements/
>

> Apparently they still use the 'glass' measurement in Greece........

snippage...

My Moroccan SILs still use "glass" as a measurement which usually means
a tea glass which is maybe 5 ounces or so give or take. The glasses are
all different. All their sweets/dessert recipes are in measurements like
this so it makes it nearly impossible to figure out. THEY know how to
make the stuff so I guess that is all that matters. Savory dishes have
been much easier to figure out.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> I went through some archived recipes today and found one in grams and
> "glasses". I googled and glasses are mainly modern measurements for
> beer (and wine).
>
> Question: Does anyone know what the old fashioned "one glass"
> converts to in teaspoons, tablespoons or maybe a fraction of a cup?
>
> I vaguely remember reading about measuring by "glass" and picturing an
> old fashioned sherry glass. If that's the case, I have one which
> measures at 4 tablespoons, *exactly*.
>
> TIA

That really depends on the glass (and the era). Could be 1
cup--or as little as 1/4 cup if a wine glass. Obviously, that
would make a huge difference in the outcome of the recipe.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 20:31:04 -0700, sf > wrote:

>I went through some archived recipes today and found one in grams and
>"glasses". I googled and glasses are mainly modern measurements for
>beer (and wine).
>
>Question: Does anyone know what the old fashioned "one glass"
>converts to in teaspoons, tablespoons or maybe a fraction of a cup?
>
>I vaguely remember reading about measuring by "glass" and picturing an
>old fashioned sherry glass. If that's the case, I have one which
>measures at 4 tablespoons, *exactly*.

You have it. My Early American Cookbook shows a glass (AKA WineGlass)
to be 1/2 gill, 1/4 cup or 4 Tbs. Four glasses to the cup.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:23:32 -0500, Chemiker
> wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 20:31:04 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

>>I went through some archived recipes today and found one in grams and
>>"glasses". I googled and glasses are mainly modern measurements for
>>beer (and wine).
>>
>>Question: Does anyone know what the old fashioned "one glass"
>>converts to in teaspoons, tablespoons or maybe a fraction of a cup?
>>
>>I vaguely remember reading about measuring by "glass" and picturing an
>>old fashioned sherry glass. If that's the case, I have one which
>>measures at 4 tablespoons, *exactly*.

>You have it. My Early American Cookbook shows a glass (AKA WineGlass)
>to be 1/2 gill, 1/4 cup or 4 Tbs. Four glasses to the cup.
>
>Alex

Thanks, Alex... I appreciate you looking up the information for me!

re : measurement Ray Baking 7 06-10-2007 04:45 AM
One more question-measurement Islands General Cooking 9 19-01-2006 08:14 PM
Coffee measurement question! Gary General Cooking 9 10-03-2004 03:49 AM
TA Measurement Bruce Winemaking 10 04-11-2003 07:52 PM
More on TA Measurement D. J. Gooding Winemaking 7 01-11-2003 01:41 AM