Old 16-08-2009, 07:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chilaquiles

For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles. I still haven't made enchilada
sauce so I used my good ol' standby. I was too lazy to fry up some old
tortillas so I used pre-made tostada shells. These I usually have on
hand also. They are great for ceviche tostadas.
I got together the enchilada sauce, tortillas, onion and cheese.
http://i31.tinypic.com/2hi002t.jpg

Poured a little of the sauce into the baking pan. Just enough to coat
the bottom of the pan.
http://i30.tinypic.com/f051qb.jpg

Add broken up tortillas,
http://i32.tinypic.com/fu0qqb.jpg

and layer in some cheese and onion.
http://i26.tinypic.com/2s1n11f.jpg

Repeat. Top layer should be sauce and cheese and onion.
http://i29.tinypic.com/29vcl54.jpg

Place in a 350* oven until hot and bubbly.

While the chilaquiles were baking I fried some bacon and scrambled up
some eggs.
http://i28.tinypic.com/6gk65t.jpg

This made a great breakfast with some sliced heirloom tomatoes.
http://i26.tinypic.com/fxe9uh.jpg

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

Old 16-08-2009, 07:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote in message
For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles. I still haven't made enchilada
sauce so I used my good ol' standby. I was too lazy to fry up some old
tortillas so I used pre-made tostada shells. These I usually have on
hand also. They are great for ceviche tostadas.
I got together the enchilada sauce, tortillas, onion and cheese.

[snip]

Love the step-by-step photography. Thanks!

The Ranger

Old 16-08-2009, 07:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

koko said...

For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles.

koko,

I've never heard of such a dish. Not that THAT would stop me from devouring
it in the blink of an eye. :9

YOU'VE BEEN GIVEN: !!!Fair Warning!!! Sing on the X.

Best,

Andy
Old 16-08-2009, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"koko" wrote in message

Not snipped, just scrunched up for space!

[...]

Good grief, Koko. If you had that for breakfast, it means you did all that
work BEFORE breakfast! We're talkin' morning person, are we?

Felice

Old 16-08-2009, 08:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"koko" wrote in message

[...]

Wonderful! I love "chikalillies"... a great fringe benefit of marrying
someone from the South, She is a morning person (like you must be) so I get
some pretty neat breakfasts from time to time.

BTW, Koko... I really enjoy your website. Nice job.

George L

Old 16-08-2009, 09:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
koko wrote:

This made a great breakfast with some sliced heirloom tomatoes.
http://i26.tinypic.com/fxe9uh.jpg

koko

Gods that's pretty!
I see you are getting a nice tomato crop. :-) I did not plant again
this year due to the cost of water... I want to try container gardening
but did not get around to it this year.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 16-08-2009, 10:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sign on the X.

If arias are your thing, please stand on the X.

Best,

Andy
Old 16-08-2009, 11:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
koko said...

For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles.

koko,

I've never heard of such a dish. Not that THAT would stop me from devouring
it in the blink of an eye. :9

YOU'VE BEEN GIVEN: !!!Fair Warning!!! Sing on the X.

Best,

Andy

My mother would use leftovers to make chilaquiles. When it came out of
the oven, she would top it with fried or scrambled eggs and a little
salsa or enchilada sauce. It is home cooking, but you can find it in
some Mexican restaurants. Not like Mom used to make, though.

Becca

Old 16-08-2009, 11:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
koko said...

For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles.

koko,

I've never heard of such a dish. Not that THAT would stop me from devouring
it in the blink of an eye. :9

YOU'VE BEEN GIVEN: !!!Fair Warning!!! Sing on the X.

Best,

Andy

Its pretty common breakfast fare. If you want to try a good version you
can at the Mexican restaurant that is on Washington Ave a block over
from the Italian market. Item #10.

http://www.taqueriaveracruzana.com/breakfast.html

The mom & pop Oaxacan taqueria near me makes a great version too.
Old 17-08-2009, 12:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

Its pretty common breakfast fare. If you want to try a good version
you can at the Mexican restaurant that is on Washington Ave a block
over from the Italian market. Item #10.

http://www.taqueriaveracruzana.com/breakfast.html

The mom & pop Oaxacan taqueria near me makes a great version too.

Take a look at the price difference of Mexican food in Philadelphia and
in Texas. I am sure the sane could also be said for California and
other states. Compare the price of a basic breakfast of eggs and their
chilaquiles (Desayuno Arandas).

http://www.taqueriasarandas.com/engl...breakfast.html

Becca

Old 17-08-2009, 12:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 15:02:17 -0400, "Felice"
wrote:

"koko" wrote in message
.. .

Not snipped, just scrunched up for space!

For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles. I still haven't made enchilada
sauce so I used my good ol' standby. I was too lazy to fry up some old
tortillas so I used pre-made tostada shells. These I usually have on
hand also. They are great for ceviche tostadas.
I got together the enchilada sauce, tortillas, onion and cheese.

snippage

Good grief, Koko. If you had that for breakfast, it means you did all that
work BEFORE breakfast! We're talkin' morning person, are we?

Felice

Not hardly. It's Sunday and I even slept in. Back to the old grind
tomorrow.

koko

Old 17-08-2009, 12:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 14:32:00 -0500, "George Leppla"
wrote:

"koko" wrote in message
.. .

For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles.

snippage

Wonderful! I love "chikalillies"... a great fringe benefit of marrying
someone from the South, She is a morning person (like you must be) so I get
some pretty neat breakfasts from time to time.

BTW, Koko... I really enjoy your website. Nice job.

George L

Thank you George L. Smart man marrying someone from the south.

koko

Old 17-08-2009, 12:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 15:14:23 -0500, Omelet

koko wrote:

This made a great breakfast with some sliced heirloom tomatoes.
http://i26.tinypic.com/fxe9uh.jpg

koko

Gods that's pretty!
I see you are getting a nice tomato crop. :-) I did not plant again
this year due to the cost of water... I want to try container gardening
but did not get around to it this year.

Thanks Om.
Those are the heirlooms I bought at the Farmer's Market. I only bought
3 and he kept giving me more for free. I'll be container gardening
also, because of the raccoons and rabbits.

koko

Old 17-08-2009, 12:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
George wrote:

Its pretty common breakfast fare. If you want to try a good version
you can at the Mexican restaurant that is on Washington Ave a block
over from the Italian market. Item #10.

http://www.taqueriaveracruzana.com/breakfast.html

The mom & pop Oaxacan taqueria near me makes a great version too.

Take a look at the price difference of Mexican food in Philadelphia and
in Texas. I am sure the sane could also be said for California and
other states. Compare the price of a basic breakfast of eggs and their
chilaquiles (Desayuno Arandas).
http://www.taqueriasarandas.com/engl...breakfast.html

Becca

Philly ethnic food often tends to be spendier than even NYC for some
reason. The Philly place I mentioned is definitely a quality place
though. The taqueria near me has similar prices to the one on the link
you gave. It is a neighborhood place and no web site.

Chilaquiles koko General Cooking 1 28-10-2014 01:26 AM
chilaquiles schwarze Mexican Cooking 3 18-07-2011 04:55 AM
Chilaquiles koko General Cooking 7 29-09-2008 03:39 AM
CHILAQUILES A1 WBarfieldsr Mexican Cooking 2 30-10-2003 08:35 PM