FoodBanter.com

-   -   Chilaquiles (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/175694-chilaquiles.html)

koko 16-08-2009 07:46 PM

Chilaquiles

For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles. I still haven't made enchilada
sauce so I used my good ol' standby. I was too lazy to fry up some old
tortillas so I used pre-made tostada shells. These I usually have on
hand also. They are great for ceviche tostadas.
I got together the enchilada sauce, tortillas, onion and cheese.
http://i31.tinypic.com/2hi002t.jpg

Poured a little of the sauce into the baking pan. Just enough to coat
the bottom of the pan.
http://i30.tinypic.com/f051qb.jpg

Add broken up tortillas,
http://i32.tinypic.com/fu0qqb.jpg

and layer in some cheese and onion.
http://i26.tinypic.com/2s1n11f.jpg

Repeat. Top layer should be sauce and cheese and onion.
http://i29.tinypic.com/29vcl54.jpg

Place in a 350* oven until hot and bubbly.

While the chilaquiles were baking I fried some bacon and scrambled up
some eggs.
http://i28.tinypic.com/6gk65t.jpg

This made a great breakfast with some sliced heirloom tomatoes.
http://i26.tinypic.com/fxe9uh.jpg

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

The Ranger[_9_] 16-08-2009 07:52 PM

Chilaquiles

koko > wrote in message
> For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles. I still haven't made enchilada
> sauce so I used my good ol' standby. I was too lazy to fry up some old
> tortillas so I used pre-made tostada shells. These I usually have on
> hand also. They are great for ceviche tostadas.
> I got together the enchilada sauce, tortillas, onion and cheese.

[snip]

Love the step-by-step photography. Thanks!

The Ranger

Andy[_15_] 16-08-2009 07:54 PM

Chilaquiles

koko said...

> For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles.

koko,

I've never heard of such a dish. Not that THAT would stop me from devouring
it in the blink of an eye. :9

YOU'VE BEEN GIVEN: !!!Fair Warning!!! Sing on the X.

Best,

Andy

Felice 16-08-2009 08:02 PM

Chilaquiles

"koko" > wrote in message

Not snipped, just scrunched up for space!

> For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles. I still haven't made enchilada
> sauce so I used my good ol' standby. I was too lazy to fry up some old
> tortillas so I used pre-made tostada shells. These I usually have on
> hand also. They are great for ceviche tostadas.
> I got together the enchilada sauce, tortillas, onion and cheese.
> http://i31.tinypic.com/2hi002t.jpg
> Poured a little of the sauce into the baking pan. Just enough to coat
> the bottom of the pan.
> http://i30.tinypic.com/f051qb.jpg
> Add broken up tortillas,
> http://i32.tinypic.com/fu0qqb.jpg
> and layer in some cheese and onion.
> http://i26.tinypic.com/2s1n11f.jpg
> Repeat. Top layer should be sauce and cheese and onion.
> http://i29.tinypic.com/29vcl54.jpg
> Place in a 350* oven until hot and bubbly.
> While the chilaquiles were baking I fried some bacon and scrambled up
> some eggs.
> http://i28.tinypic.com/6gk65t.jpg
> This made a great breakfast with some sliced heirloom tomatoes.
> http://i26.tinypic.com/fxe9uh.jpg

Good grief, Koko. If you had that for breakfast, it means you did all that
work BEFORE breakfast! We're talkin' morning person, are we?

Felice

George Leppla 16-08-2009 08:32 PM

Chilaquiles

"koko" > wrote in message

> For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles. I still haven't made enchilada
> sauce so I used my good ol' standby. I was too lazy to fry up some old
> tortillas so I used pre-made tostada shells. These I usually have on
> hand also. They are great for ceviche tostadas.
> I got together the enchilada sauce, tortillas, onion and cheese.
> http://i31.tinypic.com/2hi002t.jpg
>
> Poured a little of the sauce into the baking pan. Just enough to coat
> the bottom of the pan.
> http://i30.tinypic.com/f051qb.jpg
>
> Add broken up tortillas,
> http://i32.tinypic.com/fu0qqb.jpg
>
> and layer in some cheese and onion.
> http://i26.tinypic.com/2s1n11f.jpg
>
> Repeat. Top layer should be sauce and cheese and onion.
> http://i29.tinypic.com/29vcl54.jpg
>
> Place in a 350* oven until hot and bubbly.
>
> While the chilaquiles were baking I fried some bacon and scrambled up
> some eggs.
> http://i28.tinypic.com/6gk65t.jpg
>
> This made a great breakfast with some sliced heirloom tomatoes.
> http://i26.tinypic.com/fxe9uh.jpg
>
> koko

Wonderful! I love "chikalillies"... a great fringe benefit of marrying
someone from the South, She is a morning person (like you must be) so I get
some pretty neat breakfasts from time to time.

BTW, Koko... I really enjoy your website. Nice job.

George L

Omelet[_7_] 16-08-2009 09:14 PM

Chilaquiles

In article >,
koko > wrote:

> This made a great breakfast with some sliced heirloom tomatoes.
> http://i26.tinypic.com/fxe9uh.jpg
>
> koko

Gods that's pretty!
I see you are getting a nice tomato crop. :-) I did not plant again
this year due to the cost of water... I want to try container gardening
but did not get around to it this year.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Andy[_15_] 16-08-2009 10:16 PM

Chilaquiles

Sign on the X.

If arias are your thing, please stand on the X. :)

Best,

Andy

Becca 16-08-2009 11:43 PM

Chilaquiles

Andy wrote:
> koko said...
>

>> For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles.
>>

> koko,
>
> I've never heard of such a dish. Not that THAT would stop me from devouring
> it in the blink of an eye. :9
>
> YOU'VE BEEN GIVEN: !!!Fair Warning!!! Sing on the X.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

My mother would use leftovers to make chilaquiles. When it came out of
the oven, she would top it with fried or scrambled eggs and a little
salsa or enchilada sauce. It is home cooking, but you can find it in
some Mexican restaurants. Not like Mom used to make, though.

Becca

George[_1_] 16-08-2009 11:47 PM

Chilaquiles

Andy wrote:
> koko said...
>
>> For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles.

> koko,
>
> I've never heard of such a dish. Not that THAT would stop me from devouring
> it in the blink of an eye. :9
>
> YOU'VE BEEN GIVEN: !!!Fair Warning!!! Sing on the X.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Its pretty common breakfast fare. If you want to try a good version you
can at the Mexican restaurant that is on Washington Ave a block over
from the Italian market. Item #10.

http://www.taqueriaveracruzana.com/breakfast.html

The mom & pop Oaxacan taqueria near me makes a great version too.

Becca 17-08-2009 12:16 AM

Chilaquiles

George wrote:

> Its pretty common breakfast fare. If you want to try a good version
> you can at the Mexican restaurant that is on Washington Ave a block
> over from the Italian market. Item #10.
>
> http://www.taqueriaveracruzana.com/breakfast.html
>
> The mom & pop Oaxacan taqueria near me makes a great version too.

Take a look at the price difference of Mexican food in Philadelphia and
in Texas. I am sure the sane could also be said for California and
other states. Compare the price of a basic breakfast of eggs and their
chilaquiles (Desayuno Arandas).

http://www.taqueriasarandas.com/engl...breakfast.html

Becca

koko 17-08-2009 12:22 AM

Chilaquiles

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 11:52:36 -0700, "The Ranger" <cuhulain _
> wrote:

>koko > wrote in message
.. .
>> For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles. I still haven't made enchilada
>> sauce so I used my good ol' standby. I was too lazy to fry up some old
>> tortillas so I used pre-made tostada shells. These I usually have on
>> hand also. They are great for ceviche tostadas.
>> I got together the enchilada sauce, tortillas, onion and cheese.

>[snip]
>
>Love the step-by-step photography. Thanks!
>
>The Ranger

My pleasure. ;-)

koko

koko 17-08-2009 12:23 AM

Chilaquiles

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 15:02:17 -0400, "Felice" >
wrote:

>"koko" > wrote in message
.. .

>Not snipped, just scrunched up for space!
>
>> For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles. I still haven't made enchilada
>> sauce so I used my good ol' standby. I was too lazy to fry up some old
>> tortillas so I used pre-made tostada shells. These I usually have on
>> hand also. They are great for ceviche tostadas.
>> I got together the enchilada sauce, tortillas, onion and cheese.

snippage

>Good grief, Koko. If you had that for breakfast, it means you did all that
>work BEFORE breakfast! We're talkin' morning person, are we?
>
>Felice

Not hardly. It's Sunday and I even slept in. Back to the old grind
tomorrow.

koko

koko 17-08-2009 12:25 AM

Chilaquiles

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 14:32:00 -0500, "George Leppla"
> wrote:

>"koko" > wrote in message
.. .

>> For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles.

snippage

>Wonderful! I love "chikalillies"... a great fringe benefit of marrying
>someone from the South, She is a morning person (like you must be) so I get
>some pretty neat breakfasts from time to time.
>
>BTW, Koko... I really enjoy your website. Nice job.
>
>George L

Thank you George L. Smart man marrying someone from the south.

koko

koko 17-08-2009 12:27 AM

Chilaquiles

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 15:14:23 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> koko > wrote:
>
>> This made a great breakfast with some sliced heirloom tomatoes.
>> http://i26.tinypic.com/fxe9uh.jpg
>>
>> koko

>Gods that's pretty!
>I see you are getting a nice tomato crop. :-) I did not plant again
>this year due to the cost of water... I want to try container gardening
>but did not get around to it this year.

Thanks Om.
Those are the heirlooms I bought at the Farmer's Market. I only bought
3 and he kept giving me more for free. I'll be container gardening
also, because of the raccoons and rabbits.

koko

George[_1_] 17-08-2009 12:41 AM

Chilaquiles

Becca wrote:
> George wrote:
>>
>> Its pretty common breakfast fare. If you want to try a good version
>> you can at the Mexican restaurant that is on Washington Ave a block
>> over from the Italian market. Item #10.
>>
>> http://www.taqueriaveracruzana.com/breakfast.html
>>
>> The mom & pop Oaxacan taqueria near me makes a great version too.

> Take a look at the price difference of Mexican food in Philadelphia and
> in Texas. I am sure the sane could also be said for California and
> other states. Compare the price of a basic breakfast of eggs and their
> chilaquiles (Desayuno Arandas).
> http://www.taqueriasarandas.com/engl...breakfast.html
>
> Becca

Philly ethnic food often tends to be spendier than even NYC for some
reason. The Philly place I mentioned is definitely a quality place
though. The taqueria near me has similar prices to the one on the link
you gave. It is a neighborhood place and no web site.

Bobo Bonobo® 17-08-2009 12:59 AM

Chilaquiles

On Aug 16, 1:46*pm, koko > wrote:
> For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles. I still haven't made enchilada
> sauce so I used my good ol' standby. I was too lazy to fry up some old
> tortillas so I used pre-made tostada shells. These I usually have on
> hand also. They are great for ceviche tostadas.
> I got together the enchilada sauce, tortillas, onion and cheese.http://i31.tinypic.com/2hi002t.jpg
>
> Poured a little of the sauce into the baking pan. Just enough to coat
> the bottom of the pan.http://i30.tinypic.com/f051qb.jpg
>
> Add broken up tortillas,http://i32.tinypic.com/fu0qqb.jpg
>
> and layer in some cheese and onion.http://i26.tinypic.com/2s1n11f.jpg
>
> Repeat. Top layer should be sauce and cheese and onion.http://i29.tinypic..com/29vcl54.jpg
>
> Place in a 350* oven until hot and bubbly.
>
> While the chilaquiles were baking I fried some bacon and scrambled up
> some eggs.http://i28.tinypic.com/6gk65t.jpg
>
> This made a great breakfast with some sliced heirloom tomatoes.http://i26..tinypic.com/fxe9uh.jpg
>
> koko

It all looks beautiful, but the bacon still seemed to have soft fat.
Dang that thick sliced bacon. It needs at least a quarter inch of
grease in the pan to get it to fry right.

--Bryan

Omelet[_7_] 17-08-2009 04:33 AM

Chilaquiles

In article >,
koko > wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 15:14:23 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > koko > wrote:
> >
> >> This made a great breakfast with some sliced heirloom tomatoes.
> >> http://i26.tinypic.com/fxe9uh.jpg
> >>
> >> koko

> >Gods that's pretty!
> >I see you are getting a nice tomato crop. :-) I did not plant again
> >this year due to the cost of water... I want to try container gardening
> >but did not get around to it this year.

> Thanks Om.
> Those are the heirlooms I bought at the Farmer's Market. I only bought
> 3 and he kept giving me more for free. I'll be container gardening
> also, because of the raccoons and rabbits.
>
> koko

Sounds like you need a greenhouse. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Omelet[_7_] 17-08-2009 04:36 AM

Chilaquiles

In article
Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:

> On Aug 16, 1:46*pm, koko > wrote:
> > For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles. I still haven't made enchilada
> > sauce so I used my good ol' standby. I was too lazy to fry up some old
> > tortillas so I used pre-made tostada shells. These I usually have on
> > hand also. They are great for ceviche tostadas.
> > I got together the enchilada sauce, tortillas, onion and
> > cheese.http://i31.tinypic.com/2hi002t.jpg
> >
> > Poured a little of the sauce into the baking pan. Just enough to coat
> > the bottom of the pan.http://i30.tinypic.com/f051qb.jpg
> >
> > Add broken up tortillas,http://i32.tinypic.com/fu0qqb.jpg
> >
> > and layer in some cheese and onion.http://i26.tinypic.com/2s1n11f.jpg
> >
> > Repeat. Top layer should be sauce and cheese and
> > onion.http://i29.tinypic.com/29vcl54.jpg
> >
> > Place in a 350* oven until hot and bubbly.
> >
> > While the chilaquiles were baking I fried some bacon and scrambled up
> > some eggs.http://i28.tinypic.com/6gk65t.jpg
> >
> > This made a great breakfast with some sliced heirloom
> > tomatoes.http://i26.tinypic.com/fxe9uh.jpg
> >
> > koko

> It all looks beautiful, but the bacon still seemed to have soft fat.
> Dang that thick sliced bacon. It needs at least a quarter inch of
> grease in the pan to get it to fry right.
>
> --Bryan

I deep fry bacon.
Trust me, it works.

And a LOT faster and less messy than pan frying!

http://i40.tinypic.com/v80lrp.jpg

Takes about 2 minutes in the deep fryer.
And before anyone asks, those orange things are gingered carrots with
sesame seeds. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Goomba[_2_] 17-08-2009 04:51 PM

Chilaquiles

Omelet wrote:

> I deep fry bacon.
> Trust me, it works.
>
> And a LOT faster and less messy than pan frying!
>
> http://i40.tinypic.com/v80lrp.jpg
>
> Takes about 2 minutes in the deep fryer.
> And before anyone asks, those orange things are gingered carrots with
> sesame seeds. <g>

I just had deep fried bacon for the first time last week and while it
was crisp it had lost absolutely all it's bacon flavor and just tasted
"fried". Very disappointing :(

Omelet[_7_] 17-08-2009 08:29 PM

Chilaquiles

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > I deep fry bacon.
> > Trust me, it works.
> >
> > And a LOT faster and less messy than pan frying!
> >
> > http://i40.tinypic.com/v80lrp.jpg
> >
> > Takes about 2 minutes in the deep fryer.
> > And before anyone asks, those orange things are gingered carrots with
> > sesame seeds. <g>

> I just had deep fried bacon for the first time last week and while it
> was crisp it had lost absolutely all it's bacon flavor and just tasted
> "fried". Very disappointing :(

Okay, I did not experience that. I used peanut oil.

You?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Goomba[_2_] 17-08-2009 11:04 PM

Chilaquiles

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Goomba > wrote:

>> I just had deep fried bacon for the first time last week and while it
>> was crisp it had lost absolutely all it's bacon flavor and just tasted
>> "fried". Very disappointing :(

> Okay, I did not experience that. I used peanut oil.
>
> You?

I didn't do the cooking, so I have no clue which oil was used?

koko 18-08-2009 12:39 AM

Chilaquiles

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 16:59:22 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> wrote:

>On Aug 16, 1:46*pm, koko > wrote:
>> For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles.

snippage

>It all looks beautiful, but the bacon still seemed to have soft fat.
>Dang that thick sliced bacon. It needs at least a quarter inch of
>grease in the pan to get it to fry right.
>
>--Bryan

That's how_ I_like my bacon.

koko