Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grocery Store BS

So Albertson's has had this big thing going on - 20% reduction storewide. I
must admit I was skeptical but they really did lower their prices a bit.
For a while. As I am a creature of habit I buy the same stuff over and
over. So I know what their regular prices are on a great many items. Take
mozarella cheese - Sargento - 1 pound ball. Usually 3.99 often on sale.
OK, so now the "store price" is 8.99 and they have it "marked down" to 6.99.
Same with pretty much all I buy. I checked the jarred sauces I buy, the
Indian curries, the canned meats and beans, the canned tomatoes - all of
them are sporting sale prices that are higher than what was the store price
for ages.

So another huge price hike masquerading as a price reduction. I guess they
figure people won't notice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> So Albertson's has had this big thing going on - 20% reduction storewide.
> I must admit I was skeptical but they really did lower their prices a bit.
> For a while. As I am a creature of habit I buy the same stuff over and
> over. So I know what their regular prices are on a great many items.
> Take mozarella cheese - Sargento - 1 pound ball. Usually 3.99 often on
> sale. OK, so now the "store price" is 8.99 and they have it "marked down"
> to 6.99. Same with pretty much all I buy. I checked the jarred sauces I
> buy, the Indian curries, the canned meats and beans, the canned tomatoes -
> all of them are sporting sale prices that are higher than what was the
> store price for ages.
>
> So another huge price hike masquerading as a price reduction. I guess
> they figure people won't notice.

Albertson's largely sucks, when it comes to prices. It is my last resort
when I visit people in FL.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook said...

> So Albertson's has had this big thing going on - 20% reduction
> storewide. I must admit I was skeptical but they really did lower their
> prices a bit. For a while. As I am a creature of habit I buy the same
> stuff over and over. So I know what their regular prices are on a great
> many items. Take mozarella cheese - Sargento - 1 pound ball. Usually
> 3.99 often on sale. OK, so now the "store price" is 8.99 and they have
> it "marked down" to 6.99. Same with pretty much all I buy. I checked
> the jarred sauces I buy, the Indian curries, the canned meats and beans,
> the canned tomatoes - all of them are sporting sale prices that are
> higher than what was the store price for ages.
>
> So another huge price hike masquerading as a price reduction. I guess
> they figure people won't notice.

"It's morally wrong to allow suckers to keep there money."
--Mrs. Murphy's Law.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:

> So Albertson's has had this big thing going on - 20% reduction
> storewide. I must admit I was skeptical but they really did lower
> their prices a bit. For a while. As I am a creature of habit I buy
> the same stuff over and over. So I know what their regular prices
> are on a great many items. Take mozarella cheese - Sargento - 1
> pound ball. Usually 3.99 often on sale. OK, so now the "store price"
> is 8.99 and they have it "marked down" to 6.99. Same with pretty much
> all I buy. I checked the jarred sauces I buy, the Indian curries,
> the canned meats and beans, the canned tomatoes - all of them are
> sporting sale prices that are higher than what was the store price
> for ages.
>
> So another huge price hike masquerading as a price reduction. I
> guess they figure people won't notice.

The Jewel chain in the Midwest does the same shtick, too...they claim
they've "lowered" prices on any number of items, but the prices are still
very high since the quoted "previous" prices are vastly inflated...I mean
who in 'ell would think that the store brand of a can of green beans is a
"bargain" at $1.29 or whatever.

Another sale practice I've noticed is "Buy $30.00 on the selected items
below and get $10.00 off of your next grocery purchase". Many of these
"selected" items have inflated prices, in the end even if you are getting a
ten buck credit on yer next purchase you are losing out...

Ya gotta know prices and watch those prices like a *hawk*...most don't, so
they get poor value for their grocery dollar.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 5:14*pm, Andy > wrote:

> "It's morally wrong to allow suckers to keep there money."
> --Mrs. Murphy's Law.

Where did you find a quote that used "there" to mean their?

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo wrote:

> On Aug 15, 5:14*pm, Andy > wrote:
>

> > "It's morally wrong to allow suckers to keep there money."
> > --Mrs. Murphy's Law.

> Where did you find a quote that used "there" to mean their?

Heehee...is the "Mrs. Murphy" referenced any relation to our
blake...???

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® said...

> On Aug 15, 5:14*pm, Andy > wrote:
>>

>> "It's morally wrong to allow suckers to keep there money."
>> --Mrs. Murphy's Law.

> Where did you find a quote that used "there" to mean their?
>
> --Bryan

Heh heh heh.

Forgive me.

A momentary lapse of reason.

Andy

--
I'm no longer a danger to society.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 15:55:44 -0700 (PDT), Gregory Morrow
> wrote:

>Bobo Bonobo wrote:
>
>> On Aug 15, 5:14*pm, Andy > wrote:
>>

>> > "It's morally wrong to allow suckers to keep there money."
>> > --Mrs. Murphy's Law.

>> Where did you find a quote that used "there" to mean their?
>>

>Heehee...is the "Mrs. Murphy" referenced any relation to our
>blake...???

ALex, singing: "Take it in your hand, Mrs. Murphy! It only weighs
a quarter of a pound..... It has hair on its neck like a turkey...."

(Ducking and running)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 6:08*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> So another huge price hike masquerading as a price reduction. *I guess they
> figure people won't notice.

They must think the public is stupid. Everyone knows the grocery
margin is verrry small and not to be fiddled with.

I once shopped three major chains on the same day for ten nationally
advertised items, and, despite a variation per item of a penny or two,
the total was the same to the PEN-ny.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Bobo Bonobo® said...
>
> > On Aug 15, 5:14 pm, Andy > wrote:
> >>

> >> "It's morally wrong to allow suckers to keep there money."
> >> --Mrs. Murphy's Law.

> > Where did you find a quote that used "there" to mean their?

> Forgive me.
>
> A momentary lapse of reason.

That's not an error of reason. It's a lexical error.
Much more serious, because it indicates deterioration
at a more fundamental level. Could be the first sign
of Alzheimer's or another form of senile dementia.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson said...

> Andy wrote:
>>
>> Bobo Bonobo® said...

>> > Where did you find a quote that used "there" to mean their?

>> Forgive me.
>>
>> A momentary lapse of reason.

> That's not an error of reason. It's a lexical error.
> Much more serious, because it indicates deterioration
> at a more fundamental level. Could be the first sign
> of Alzheimer's or another form of senile dementia.

Thorson,

It was actually, knew you would't catch it, a humorous retort to a musical
piece.

You look really ugly standing there naked!

Fidiot.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 6:35*pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
> Paul M. Cook wrote:
> > So Albertson's has had this big thing going on - 20% reduction
> > storewide. *I must admit I was skeptical but they really did lower
> > their prices a bit. For a while. *As I am a creature of habit I buy
> > the same stuff over and over. *So I know what their regular prices
> > are on a great many items. *Take mozarella cheese - Sargento - 1
> > pound ball. *Usually 3.99 often on sale. OK, so now the "store price"
> > is 8.99 and they have it "marked down" to 6.99. Same with pretty much
> > all I buy. *I checked the jarred sauces I buy, the Indian curries,
> > the canned meats and beans, the canned tomatoes - all of them are
> > sporting sale prices that are higher than what was the store price
> > for ages.

> > So another huge price hike masquerading as a price reduction. *I
> > guess they figure people won't notice.

> The Jewel chain in the Midwest does the same shtick, too...they claim
> they've "lowered" prices on any number of items, but the prices are still
> very high since the quoted "previous" prices are vastly inflated...I mean
> who in 'ell would think that the store brand of a can of green beans is a
> "bargain" at $1.29 or whatever.

Jewel and Albertsons (as well as Acme and Shaws) are all owned by
SuperValu.
Same corporate parent. Same shady pricing schemes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

none of your business wrote:
> On Aug 15, 6:35 pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
>> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>>> So Albertson's has had this big thing going on - 20% reduction
>>> storewide. I must admit I was skeptical but they really did lower
>>> their prices a bit. For a while. As I am a creature of habit I buy
>>> the same stuff over and over. So I know what their regular prices
>>> are on a great many items. Take mozarella cheese - Sargento - 1
>>> pound ball. Usually 3.99 often on sale. OK, so now the "store price"
>>> is 8.99 and they have it "marked down" to 6.99. Same with pretty much
>>> all I buy. I checked the jarred sauces I buy, the Indian curries,
>>> the canned meats and beans, the canned tomatoes - all of them are
>>> sporting sale prices that are higher than what was the store price
>>> for ages.
>>> So another huge price hike masquerading as a price reduction. I
>>> guess they figure people won't notice.

>> The Jewel chain in the Midwest does the same shtick, too...they claim
>> they've "lowered" prices on any number of items, but the prices are still
>> very high since the quoted "previous" prices are vastly inflated...I mean
>> who in 'ell would think that the store brand of a can of green beans is a
>> "bargain" at $1.29 or whatever.

> Jewel and Albertsons (as well as Acme and Shaws) are all owned by
> SuperValu.
> Same corporate parent. Same shady pricing schemes.

Just curious... if you are none of our business, why do you have a
mouth? Do you think anyone wants to hear from you?

O gutless one? Do you have an opinion?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
> none of your business wrote:

>> Jewel and Albertsons (as well as Acme and Shaws) are all owned by
>> SuperValu.
>> Same corporate parent. Same shady pricing schemes.
>>

> Just curious... if you are none of our business, why do you have a mouth?
> Do you think anyone wants to hear from you?
>
> O gutless one? Do you have an opinion?

Ouch. A little cranky tonight, Bob?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" ha scritto nel messaggio

> So Albertson's has had this big thing going on - 20% reduction storewide.

Take > mozarella cheese - Sargento - 1 pound ball. Usually 3.99 often on
sale. > OK, so now the "store price" is 8.99 and they have it "marked down"
to 6.99.
> Same with pretty much all I buy. I checked the jarred sauces I buy, the >
> Indian curries, the canned meats and beans, the canned tomatoes - all of >
> them are sporting sale prices that are higher than what was the store
> price for ages.
>
> So another huge price hike masquerading as a price reduction. I guess
> they > figure people won't notice.

But I think that's illegal. If you can demonstrate they are lying, you can
sue them or report to whatever your consumer protection thing is where you
live. I remember it happening more than once when I lived there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 8:45*pm, none of your business >
wrote:
> On Aug 15, 6:35*pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
>

> > Paul M. Cook wrote:
> > > So Albertson's has had this big thing going on - 20% reduction
> > > storewide. *I must admit I was skeptical but they really did lower
> > > their prices a bit. For a while. *As I am a creature of habit I buy
> > > the same stuff over and over. *So I know what their regular prices
> > > are on a great many items. *Take mozarella cheese - Sargento - 1
> > > pound ball. *Usually 3.99 often on sale. OK, so now the "store price"
> > > is 8.99 and they have it "marked down" to 6.99. Same with pretty much
> > > all I buy. *I checked the jarred sauces I buy, the Indian curries,
> > > the canned meats and beans, the canned tomatoes - all of them are
> > > sporting sale prices that are higher than what was the store price
> > > for ages.

> > > So another huge price hike masquerading as a price reduction. *I
> > > guess they figure people won't notice.

> > The Jewel chain in the Midwest does the same shtick, too...they claim
> > they've "lowered" prices on any number of items, but the prices are still
> > very high since the quoted "previous" prices are vastly inflated...I mean
> > who in 'ell would think that the store brand of a can of green beans is a
> > "bargain" at $1.29 or whatever.

> Jewel and Albertsons (as well as Acme and Shaws) are all owned by
> SuperValu.
> Same corporate parent. Same shady pricing schemes.

The SuperValu chain in St. Louis (Shop'n Save) has great prices, both
everyday, and specials.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi said...

> "Paul M. Cook" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> So Albertson's has had this big thing going on - 20% reduction
>> storewide.

> Take > mozarella cheese - Sargento - 1 pound ball. Usually 3.99 often
> on
> sale. > OK, so now the "store price" is 8.99 and they have it "marked
> down" to 6.99.
>> Same with pretty much all I buy. I checked the jarred sauces I buy,
>> the > Indian curries, the canned meats and beans, the canned tomatoes -
>> all of > them are sporting sale prices that are higher than what was
>> the store price for ages.
>>
>> So another huge price hike masquerading as a price reduction. I guess
>> they > figure people won't notice.

> But I think that's illegal. If you can demonstrate they are lying, you
> can sue them or report to whatever your consumer protection thing is
> where you live. I remember it happening more than once when I lived
> there.

ACME, a branch of Albertsons is the most expensive supermarket around town.

A good reason to save your receipts if that kind of practice is for real.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paco wrote:

> "Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
>> none of your business wrote:

>>> Jewel and Albertsons (as well as Acme and Shaws) are all owned by
>>> SuperValu.
>>> Same corporate parent. Same shady pricing schemes.
>>>

>> Just curious... if you are none of our business, why do you have a
>> mouth? Do you think anyone wants to hear from you?
>>
>> O gutless one? Do you have an opinion?

> Ouch. A little cranky tonight, Bob?

Yes... I was :-)

I was on another group that chaffed me.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>> Bobo Bonobo® said...

>>> Where did you find a quote that used "there" to mean their?

>> Forgive me.
>>
>> A momentary lapse of reason.

> That's not an error of reason. It's a lexical error.
> Much more serious, because it indicates deterioration
> at a more fundamental level. Could be the first sign
> of Alzheimer's or another form of senile dementia.

Two other possibilities:

1. a momentary brain lapse translated i nto the typing fingers

2. someone who never mastered the difference between their, there and
they're

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 15:55:44 -0700 (PDT), Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Bobo Bonobo wrote:
>
>> On Aug 15, 5:14*pm, Andy > wrote:
>>

>>> "It's morally wrong to allow suckers to keep there money."
>>> --Mrs. Murphy's Law.

>> Where did you find a quote that used "there" to mean their?
>>

> Heehee...is the "Mrs. Murphy" referenced any relation to our
> blake...???

you bet. i'm also closely related to eddie murphy.

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 08:47:52 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>But I think that's illegal. If you can demonstrate they are lying, you can
>sue them or report to whatever your consumer protection thing is where you
>live. I remember it happening more than once when I lived there.

Maybe not. A lot of these practices began way back in the Nixon era.
When price controls were enacted, a lot of business found they were
caught with their prices down. THe inflation that followed was largely
a disaster. As soon as the PC's were lifted, companies started
inflating MSRP's, and allowing their dealers to discount (temporarily,
wink, wink!). The idea is that if PC's come back, the *MSRP* prices
are already high enough to protect the company's interests. All that
needs happen is that discounts, rebates, 2fer1 deals, etc. are
discontinued.

This is one reason why MSRP's are high but the street prices are low.

In the Albertson's case, it is sort of like a Clintonesque truth. The
real price was the MSRP, and we just discontinued a former discount.
Now we offer you a new discount, 30% off (the MSRP). That the
earlier discount was 40% is no longer relevant. Like a lot of
marketing and political ploys, the comparisons are invalid because
the speaker shifts bases while making the comparison. If you don't
catch the shift, well, there's one born every minute, as PT used to
say. They didn't lie, they just told the truth a different way.....

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> So Albertson's has had this big thing going on - 20% reduction storewide.
> I must admit I was skeptical but they really did lower their prices a bit.
> For a while. As I am a creature of habit I buy the same stuff over and
> over. So I know what their regular prices are on a great many items.
> Take mozarella cheese - Sargento - 1 pound ball. Usually 3.99 often on
> sale. OK, so now the "store price" is 8.99 and they have it "marked down"
> to 6.99. Same with pretty much all I buy. I checked the jarred sauces I
> buy, the Indian curries, the canned meats and beans, the canned tomatoes -
> all of them are sporting sale prices that are higher than what was the
> store price for ages.
>
> So another huge price hike masquerading as a price reduction. I guess
> they figure people won't notice.

They raised the prices by about 40% then took 20% off - they must think
we're all idiots.

They are good however for exploiting their LOST LEADERS.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > Andy wrote:
> >> Bobo Bonobo® said...

> >> Forgive me.
> >>
> >> A momentary lapse of reason.

> > That's not an error of reason. It's a lexical error.
> > Much more serious, because it indicates deterioration
> > at a more fundamental level. Could be the first sign
> > of Alzheimer's or another form of senile dementia.

> Two other possibilities:
>
> 1. a momentary brain lapse translated i nto the typing fingers
>
> 2. someone who never mastered the difference between their, there and
> they're

I suppose the latter is a more plausible theory,
because it doesn't presuppose he ever had that
ability.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson said...

> Gloria P wrote:
>>
>> Mark Thorson wrote:

>> > That's not an error of reason. It's a lexical error.
>> > Much more serious, because it indicates deterioration
>> > at a more fundamental level. Could be the first sign
>> > of Alzheimer's or another form of senile dementia.

>> Two other possibilities:
>>
>> 1. a momentary brain lapse translated i nto the typing fingers
>>
>> 2. someone who never mastered the difference between their, there and
>> they're

> I suppose the latter is a more plausible theory,
> because it doesn't presuppose he ever had that
> ability.

Nice try "I can't think for myself" Thorson.

HA!!!

Andy
--
I'm no longer a danger to society.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P said...

> Two other possibilities:
>
> 1. a momentary brain lapse translated i nto the typing fingers
>
> 2. someone who never mastered the difference between their, there and
> they're
>
> gloria p

Since you decided to dance this dance... at least my spell checker allowed
"there." Yours didn't flag "i nto".

You didn't capitalize the start of your sentences.

You didn't finish your sentences with a period.

Who's looking stupid now?

See what you get for playing a know-it-all?

Bitch!

Oh, what exactly is a momentary brain lapse???

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 5:35*pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:

> The Jewel chain in the Midwest does the same shtick, too...they claim
> they've "lowered" prices on any number of items, but the prices are still
> very high since the quoted "previous" prices are vastly inflated...I mean
> who in 'ell would think that the store brand of a can of green beans is a
> "bargain" at $1.29 or whatever.
>
> Another sale practice I've noticed is "Buy $30.00 on the selected items
> below and get $10.00 off of your next grocery purchase". *Many of these
> "selected" items have inflated prices, in the end even if you are getting a
> ten buck credit on yer next purchase you are losing out...
>
> Ya gotta know prices and watch those prices like a *hawk*...most don't, so
> they get poor value for their grocery dollar.

The Hy-Vee chain in the upper Midwest often puts their store brand
items priced higher than the name brand items, you really have to keep
a sharp eye in that place! I suppose they think people will just look
at the labels and assume that their store brand will be priced less.
Sneaky assholes!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 7:16*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>
> > Bobo Bonobo® said...

> > > Where did you find a quote that used "there" to mean their?

> > Forgive me.

> > A momentary lapse of reason.

> That's not an error of reason. *It's a lexical error.
> Much more serious, because it indicates deterioration
> at a more fundamental level. *Could be the first sign
> of Alzheimer's or another form of senile dementia.

Oh for God's sake shut the **** up, you rotten turd. Someone makes a
simple error and you have the Aricept at the ready! **** off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 16, 2:47*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "Paul M. Cook" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > So Albertson's has had this big thing going on - 20% reduction storewide.

> *Take > mozarella cheese - Sargento - 1 pound ball. *Usually 3.99 often on
> sale. > OK, so now the "store price" is 8.99 and they have it "marked down"
> to 6.99.
>
> > Same with pretty much all I buy. *I checked the jarred sauces I buy, the >
> > Indian curries, the canned meats and beans, the canned tomatoes - all of >
> > them are sporting sale prices that are higher than what was the store
> > price for ages.

> > So another huge price hike masquerading as a price reduction. *I guess
> > they > figure people won't notice.

> But I think that's illegal. *If you can demonstrate they are lying, you can
> sue them or report to whatever your consumer protection thing is where you
> live. *I remember it happening more than once when I lived there.

All they have to do is at some point sell the item for the stated
"regular" price. Doesn't mean anyone's going to be stupid enough to
buy it at that price, just that they offered it.

Up until this last year, I hadn't seen prices soar like that on more
than one or two commodities at a time/ This time, they blamed it on
the price of fuel.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> So Albertson's has had this big thing going on - 20% reduction storewide.

> Take > mozarella cheese - Sargento - 1 pound ball. Usually 3.99 often on
> sale. > OK, so now the "store price" is 8.99 and they have it "marked
> down" to 6.99.
>> Same with pretty much all I buy. I checked the jarred sauces I buy, the
>> > Indian curries, the canned meats and beans, the canned tomatoes - all

>> of > them are sporting sale prices that are higher than what was the
>> store price for ages.
>>
>> So another huge price hike masquerading as a price reduction. I guess
>> they > figure people won't notice.

> But I think that's illegal. If you can demonstrate they are lying, you
> can sue them or report to whatever your consumer protection thing is where
> you live. I remember it happening more than once when I lived there.

No, it is legal. It's dishonest as all hell but it is legal.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> So Albertson's has had this big thing going on - 20% reduction storewide.

> Take > mozarella cheese - Sargento - 1 pound ball. Usually 3.99 often on
> sale. > OK, so now the "store price" is 8.99 and they have it "marked
> down" to 6.99.
>> Same with pretty much all I buy. I checked the jarred sauces I buy, the
>> > Indian curries, the canned meats and beans, the canned tomatoes - all

>> of > them are sporting sale prices that are higher than what was the
>> store price for ages.
>>
>> So another huge price hike masquerading as a price reduction. I guess
>> they > figure people won't notice.

> But I think that's illegal. If you can demonstrate they are lying, you
> can sue them or report to whatever your consumer protection thing is where
> you live. I remember it happening more than once when I lived there.

The only retail ploy that is expressly forbidden is advertising for example
SAVE $5.00 Sale Price $19.99 if the retailer has NEVER sold the item @
$24.99.

Once a retailer sells Best Foods Mayo for example at $5.00 that legally
becomes the "regular" price then if they advertise the item @ $2.50 they can
legally say Save $2.50.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 15:11:02 -0500, Andy wrote:

> Gloria P said...
>
>> Two other possibilities:
>>
>> 1. a momentary brain lapse translated i nto the typing fingers
>>
>> 2. someone who never mastered the difference between their, there and
>> they're
>>
>> gloria p

> Since you decided to dance this dance... at least my spell checker allowed
> "there." Yours didn't flag "i nto".
>
> You didn't capitalize the start of your sentences.
>
> You didn't finish your sentences with a period.
>
> Who's looking stupid now?

you, still.

> See what you get for playing a know-it-all?
>
> Bitch!
>
> Oh, what exactly is a momentary brain lapse???
>
> Andy

it's kind of like the thing you experience 24/7.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> So Albertson's has had this big thing going on - 20% reduction storewide. I
> must admit I was skeptical but they really did lower their prices a bit.
> For a while. As I am a creature of habit I buy the same stuff over and
> over. So I know what their regular prices are on a great many items. Take
> mozarella cheese - Sargento - 1 pound ball. Usually 3.99 often on sale.
> OK, so now the "store price" is 8.99 and they have it "marked down" to 6.99.
> Same with pretty much all I buy. I checked the jarred sauces I buy, the
> Indian curries, the canned meats and beans, the canned tomatoes - all of
> them are sporting sale prices that are higher than what was the store price
> for ages.
>
> So another huge price hike masquerading as a price reduction. I guess they
> figure people won't notice.

They may be right. Some people won't notice. They will look at the sign
that says there is X% off and assume that they are getting a deal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 16, 3:35*am, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
> The SuperValu chain in St. Louis (Shop'n Save) has great prices, both
> everyday, and specials.
>
> --Bryan

======================

With SuperValu it depends on what "Division" it is and if t he store
is independently owned and the size of the town etc. Hornbacher's
6 ? stores in Fargo area has been "MY" supermarket for over 30
years. Not always the lowest prices but definitely best quality (esp.
meat & produce") selection and service.
Lynn in Fargo
has no stock in SuperValu Inc. . . sigh!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:35:33 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>The Jewel chain in the Midwest does the same shtick, too...they claim
>they've "lowered" prices on any number of items, but the prices are still
>very high since the quoted "previous" prices are vastly inflated...I mean
>who in 'ell would think that the store brand of a can of green beans is a
>"bargain" at $1.29 or whatever.
>
>Another sale practice I've noticed is "Buy $30.00 on the selected items
>below and get $10.00 off of your next grocery purchase". Many of these
>"selected" items have inflated prices, in the end even if you are getting a
>ten buck credit on yer next purchase you are losing out...
>
>Ya gotta know prices and watch those prices like a *hawk*...most don't, so
>they get poor value for their grocery dollar.

Jewels prices are always higher than anyone else except Dominicks. On
the few occasions I'm there it amazes me to see what people are
wasting big money on. The things that they are claiming to have
lowered are still higher than other places. This spring there was
news that there was going to be a big price war between domestic beer
makers. About that time I noticed Jewels beer became outrageous. The
all of a sudden they dropped down to about where the other stores were
at and claimed these huge reductions when in reality they were paying
a lot less. But I guess fools who don't shop elsewhere have no clue.

Lou