Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is "PIERNA Y MUSLO ADOBADA"?

From a Mexican gocery store, I bought 3 peices of chicken leg quarters
already marinaded. The label says "PIERNA Y MUSLO ADOBADA". What is
it?

I also bought some mrainade Fajita. Hope it tastes good. About to
cook now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda wrote:

> From a Mexican gocery store, I bought 3 peices of chicken leg quarters
> already marinaded. The label says "PIERNA Y MUSLO ADOBADA". What is
> it?

It means "leg and thigh with adobo sauce." Mexican wet adobo is a mixture of
garlic, oregano, vinegar and/or citrus juice, olive oil, salt, and black
pepper.

Just cook the legs in the oven at 350F or simmer in a covered pot on the
stove for about 45 minutes to an hour. What you'll get will be nicely
flavored but not spicy.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:14:37 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby

LEG AND MARINATED THIGH (thanks http://babelfish.yahoo.com/)

>I also bought some mrainade Fajita. Hope it tastes good. About to
>cook now.

Happy eating!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 12, 10:22*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Manda wrote:
> > From a Mexican gocery store, I bought 3 peices of chicken leg quarters
> > already marinaded. The label says *"PIERNA Y MUSLO ADOBADA". What is
> > it?

> It means "leg and thigh with adobo sauce." Mexican wet adobo is a mixture of
> garlic, oregano, vinegar and/or citrus juice, olive oil, salt, and black
> pepper.

Can you tell me the ratio of these seasonings?

> Just cook the legs in the oven at 350F or simmer in a covered pot on the
> stove for about 45 minutes to an hour. What you'll get will be nicely
> flavored but not spicy.

I baked it in toaster oven for half an hour at 350F and then broil it
for 15 min. It looked really nice. I haven't eaten that yet; will eat
tomorrow.

> Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 12, 10:28*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:14:37 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
>
> > wrote:
> >From a Mexican gocery store, I bought 3 peices of chicken leg quarters
> >already marinaded. The label says *"PIERNA Y MUSLO ADOBADA". What is
> >it?

> LEG AND MARINATED THIGH (thankshttp://babelfish.yahoo.com/)
>

> >I also bought some mrainade Fajita. *Hope it tastes good. About to
> >cook now.

> Happy eating!

It didn't taset like the fajita I am used to. The flavor of that
Fajita reminds me of the flavor of fried chicken (not deep fried but
not too shallow) made in our family. And I was grateful tat it wasn't
salty. I wonder what seasonings they used. It had yellow color and
so, I am assumign that tumeric for sure. .

> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 01:02:43 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
> wrote:

>On Aug 12, 10:28*pm, sf > wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:14:37 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >From a Mexican gocery store, I bought 3 peices of chicken leg quarters
>> >already marinaded. The label says *"PIERNA Y MUSLO ADOBADA". What is
>> >it?

>> LEG AND MARINATED THIGH (thanks http://babelfish.yahoo.com/)
>>

>> >I also bought some mrainade Fajita. *Hope it tastes good. About to
>> >cook now.

>> Happy eating!

>It didn't taset like the fajita I am used to.

Well, live and learn. Eventually you'll stumble upon a marinade you
like that can whip together yourself. Why did you use a fajita mix on
pre-marinated meat - or did I misunderstand you?

>The flavor of that
>Fajita reminds me of the flavor of fried chicken (not deep fried but
>not too shallow) made in our family. And I was grateful tat it wasn't
>salty. I wonder what seasonings they used. It had yellow color and
>so, I am assumign that tumeric for sure. .

More likely, the yellow was from annatto.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 01:02:43 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
> wrote:

>salty. I wonder what seasonings they used. It had yellow color and
>so, I am assumign that tumeric for sure. .

Maybe not. If it was a yellowish orange, it might have been achiote.
Achiote will turn rice a sort of yellow, but it has a *very* light
flavor. One of the products sold by Goya (Hispanic/Mexican/Ethnic
Food Section of your supermarket) is Sazon Goya, con Culantro y
Achiote (Anatto seed). It's a sort of seasoning bouillion. It also
contains cumin, which will also impart a yellow color to food. Or
maybe it was just FD&C Yellow #5.

Adobo sauces vary from nation to nation and even cook to cook.
General info available from Wikipedia, and a recipe is he

http://www.massrecipes.com/recipes/9...uce243842.html

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 12:14*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> From a Mexican gocery store, I bought 3 peices of chicken leg quarters
> already marinaded. The label says *"PIERNA Y MUSLO ADOBADA". What is
> it?
>
> I also bought some mrainade Fajita. *Hope it tastes good. About to
> cook now.

Besa mi culo, puta bitch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 06:56:04 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
> wrote:

>On Aug 13, 12:14*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
>> From a Mexican gocery store, I bought 3 peices of chicken leg quarters
>> already marinaded. The label says *"PIERNA Y MUSLO ADOBADA". What is
>> it?
>>
>> I also bought some mrainade Fajita. *Hope it tastes good. About to
>> cook now.

>Besa mi culo, puta bitch.

OK, so it's OT....

Did you choose your screen name because you suffer
from projectile vomiting? Or because people suffer
from the condition whenever you're around?

Just curious.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 12:25*pm, Chemiker > wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 06:56:04 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
>
> > wrote:
> >On Aug 13, 12:14*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> >> From a Mexican gocery store, I bought 3 peices of chicken leg quarters
> >> already marinaded. The label says *"PIERNA Y MUSLO ADOBADA". What is
> >> it?

> >> I also bought some mrainade Fajita. *Hope it tastes good. About to
> >> cook now.

> >Besa mi culo, puta bitch.

> OK, so it's OT....
>
> Did you choose your screen name because you suffer
> from projectile vomiting? Or because people suffer
> from the condition whenever you're around?
>
> Just curious.
>
> Alex

It's always difficult to know how a 10 year old boy picks a name.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker wrote:

> Did you choose your screen name because you suffer
> from projectile vomiting? Or because people suffer
> from the condition whenever you're around?
>
> Just curious.

As you may have gathered, that is a good description of its personality.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby wrote:
> From a Mexican gocery store, I bought 3 peices of chicken leg quarters
> already marinaded. The label says "PIERNA Y MUSLO ADOBADA". What is
> it?

Literally translated: Leg and thigh, marinated.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 5:29*am, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 01:02:43 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
>

> > wrote:
> >On Aug 12, 10:28*pm, sf > wrote:
> >> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:14:37 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby

> >> LEG AND MARINATED THIGH (thankshttp://babelfish.yahoo.com/)

> >> Happy eating!

> >It didn't taset like the fajita I am used to.

> Well, live and learn. *Eventually you'll stumble upon a marinade you
> like that can whip together yourself. *Why did you use a fajita mix on
> pre-marinated meat - or did I misunderstand you?
>
> >The flavor of that
> >Fajita reminds me of the flavor of fried chicken *(not deep fried but
> >not too shallow) made in our family. And I was grateful tat it wasn't
> >salty. *I wonder what seasonings they used. It had yellow color and
> >so, I am assumign that tumeric for sure. .

> More likely, the yellow was from annatto.

I google for annatto and learned that it's red. The fajita was yellow.
Is there a type of annatto that gives out yellow color.

BTW, what other Mexican spices are there that can be used as food
coloring (and/or flavoring)?

> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 21:10:39 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
> wrote:

>On Aug 13, 5:29*am, sf > wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 01:02:43 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >It didn't taset like the fajita I am used to.

>> Well, live and learn. *Eventually you'll stumble upon a marinade you
>> like that can whip together yourself. *Why did you use a fajita mix on
>> pre-marinated meat - or did I misunderstand you?
>>
>> >The flavor of that
>> >Fajita reminds me of the flavor of fried chicken *(not deep fried but
>> >not too shallow) made in our family. And I was grateful tat it wasn't
>> >salty. *I wonder what seasonings they used. It had yellow color and
>> >so, I am assumign that tumeric for sure. .

>> More likely, the yellow was from annatto.

>I google for annatto and learned that it's red. The fajita was yellow.
>Is there a type of annatto that gives out yellow color.

Please believe me, I googled it to and what you say is true - but
believe it or not annatto is used for *yellow*!

>BTW, what other Mexican spices are there that can be used as food
>coloring (and/or flavoring)?

I'm just a dumb gringo. I don't know anything other than the obvious
cilantro, chili etc. You're lucky I could tell you about annatto.

There is an almost dead ng (dead - as in "killed") that would *love*
to have an honest question like yours posted. It may take a few days
to get a decent reply because I think the regulars have all but given
up on it, but please try posting to "alt dot food dot
Mexican-cooking". You might be the spark that ignites people other
than trolls and spammers to start posting again! Rolly has done his
best to keep it going, but it needs legitimate activity to give it new
life.

--
Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else
to hold them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 11:41*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 21:10:39 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
>

> > wrote:
> >On Aug 13, 5:29*am, sf > wrote:
> >> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 01:02:43 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby

> >> Well, live and learn. *Eventually you'll stumble upon a marinade you
> >> like that can whip together yourself. *Why did you use a fajita mix on
> >> pre-marinated meat - or did I misunderstand you?

> >> More likely, the yellow was from annatto.

> >I google for annatto and learned that it's red. The fajita was yellow.
> >Is there a type of annatto that gives out yellow color.

> Please believe me, I googled it to and what you say is true - but
> believe it or not annatto is used for *yellow*!
>

> >BTW, what other Mexican spices are there that can be used as food
> >coloring (and/or flavoring)?

> I'm just a dumb gringo. *I don't know anything other than the obvious
> cilantro, chili etc. *You're lucky I could tell you about annatto.
>
> There is an almost dead ng (dead - as in "killed") that would *love*
> to have an honest question like yours posted. *It may take a few days
> to get a decent reply because I think the regulars have all but given
> up on it, but please try posting to "alt dot food dot
> Mexican-cooking". *You might be the spark that ignites people other
> than trolls and spammers to start posting again! *Rolly has done his
> best to keep it going, but it needs legitimate activity to give it new
> life.

Yes, do tell. Keep the interest going with such riveting subjects as
"i made a baked potato but can't figure out how to pop the top" and
netKKKopping.....do tell. Really. It's fascinating.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 21:49:43 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
> wrote:

>On Aug 13, 11:41*pm, sf > wrote:

>> > wrote:

>BTW, what other Mexican spices are there that can be used as food
>> >coloring (and/or flavoring)?

>> I'm just a dumb gringo. *I don't know anything other than the obvious
>> cilantro, chili etc. *You're lucky I could tell you about annatto.
>>
>> There is an almost dead ng (dead - as in "killed") that would *love*
>> to have an honest question like yours posted. *It may take a few days
>> to get a decent reply because I think the regulars have all but given
>> up on it, but please try posting to "alt dot food dot
>> Mexican-cooking". *You might be the spark that ignites people other
>> than trolls and spammers to start posting again! *Rolly has done his
>> best to keep it going, but it needs legitimate activity to give it new
>> life.

>Yes, do tell. Keep the interest going with such riveting subjects as
>"i made a baked potato but can't figure out how to pop the top" and
>netKKKopping.....do tell. Really. It's fascinating.

Obviously in contrast to your absolutely scintillating posts.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 21:49:43 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
> wrote:

>On Aug 13, 11:41*pm, sf > wrote:

>> There is an almost dead ng (dead - as in "killed") that would *love*
>> to have an honest question like yours posted. *It may take a few days
>> to get a decent reply because I think the regulars have all but given
>> up on it, but please try posting to "alt dot food dot
>> Mexican-cooking". *You might be the spark that ignites people other
>> than trolls and spammers to start posting again! *Rolly has done his
>> best to keep it going, but it needs legitimate activity to give it new
>> life.

>Yes, do tell. Keep the interest going with such riveting subjects as
>"i made a baked potato but can't figure out how to pop the top" and
>netKKKopping.....do tell. Really. It's fascinating.

The future of usenet: trolls trolling trolls.

You're almost there. Enjoy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 5:59*am, Chemiker > wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 01:02:43 -0700 (PDT),Manda Ruby
>
> > wrote:
> >salty. *I wonder what seasonings they used. It had yellow color and
> >so, I am assumign that tumeric for sure. .

> Maybe not. If it was a yellowish orange, it might have been achiote.

I saw that word achiote when I googled annatto. If it is achiote which
gives color and flavor, I want to buy it. I like the flavor of that
fajita to fry chicken one of the way my family fried. As far as I
know, cumin wasn't used in that dish but tumeric was. It takes some
skills to fry that chicken to be crisp w/o deep frying and smell so
nice and tasy. The smell of that fajita reminded me of that fried
chicken.

> Achiote will turn rice a sort of yellow, but it has a *very* light
> flavor. One of the products sold by Goya (Hispanic/Mexican/Ethnic
> Food Section of your supermarket) is Sazon Goya, con Culantro y
> Achiote (Anatto seed). It's a sort of seasoning bouillion. It also
> contains cumin, which will also impart a yellow color to food. Or
> maybe it was just FD&C Yellow #5.

Then, I would conider that a cheat but I dobt that it was Yellow #5.
since it did give a light flavor.

> Adobo sauces vary from nation to nation and even cook to cook.
> General info available from Wikipedia, and a recipe is he
>
> http://www.massrecipes.com/recipes/9...uce243842.html
>
> Alex

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 9:41*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 21:10:39 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
>

> > wrote:
> >On Aug 13, 5:29*am, sf > wrote:
> >> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 01:02:43 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby

> >> Well, live and learn. *Eventually you'll stumble upon a marinade you
> >> like that can whip together yourself. *Why did you use a fajita mix on
> >> pre-marinated meat - or did I misunderstand you?

> >> More likely, the yellow was from annatto.

> >I google for annatto and learned that it's red. The fajita was yellow.
> >Is there a type of annatto that gives out yellow color.

> Please believe me, I googled it to and what you say is true - but
> believe it or not annatto is used for *yellow*!
>

> >BTW, what other Mexican spices are there that can be used as food
> >coloring (and/or flavoring)?

> I'm just a dumb gringo. *I don't know anything other than the obvious
> cilantro, chili etc. *You're lucky I could tell you about annatto.
>
> There is an almost dead ng (dead - as in "killed") that would *love*
> to have an honest question like yours posted. *It may take a few days
> to get a decent reply because I think the regulars have all but given
> up on it, but please try posting to "alt dot food dot
> Mexican-cooking". *You might be the spark that ignites people other
> than trolls and spammers to start posting again! *Rolly has done his
> best to keep it going, but it needs legitimate activity to give it new
> life.

I will try. I would like to learn Mexican cooking beyond fajita and
tacos.

I once saw a Quesadilla maker on Craigslist. Wished I had bought it.
Can it be made w/o the Quesadilla maker?

> --
> Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else
> to hold them.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 09:25:27 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
> wrote:

>I once saw a Quesadilla maker on Craigslist. Wished I had bought it.

Are you sure it was a quesadilla maker? I'll guess you saw a tortilla
press.

>Can it be made w/o the Quesadilla maker?

"It" = Fajitas or tortillas?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 14, 9:07*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> On Aug 13, 5:59*am, Chemiker > wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 01:02:43 -0700 (PDT),Manda Ruby

> > > wrote:
> > >salty. *I wonder what seasonings they used. It had yellow color and
> > >so, I am assumign that tumeric for sure. .

> > Maybe not. If it was a yellowish orange, it might have been achiote.

> I saw that word achiote when I googled annatto. If it is achiote which
> gives color and flavor, I want to buy it. I like the flavor of that
> fajita to fry chicken one of the way my family fried. *As far as I
> know, cumin wasn't used in that dish but tumeric was. It takes some
> skills to fry that chicken to be crisp w/o deep frying and smell so
> nice and tasy. *The smell of that fajita reminded me of that fried
> chicken.

Yes, annato and achiote are the same. One approach to take is to use
annato seeds, aka achiote seeds, to make flavored oil. To about 1/4
cup olive oil add 2 TB annato seed, bring to a simmer, reduce heat and
let infuse for about five minutes. Strain out and discard the seeds.
Now you have a colored, flavored oil you can use for rice or for
fajitas or for sofrito (another term with multiple meanings depending
on which country's cuisine). I can easily see using it for fajitas,
though I don't make them. In the supermarkets around SoCal there are
often rack displays of numerous spices and herbs in cellophane
packets, which will include achiote seeds quite inexpensively. -
aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>I google for annatto and learned that it's red. The fajita was yellow.
>Is there a type of annatto that gives out yellow color.
>
>BTW, what other Mexican spices are there that can be used as food
>coloring (and/or flavoring)?

Anatto (achiote) seed is a small hard, mostly brick red thingie. Used,
when sweated in oil or ground to a fine powder, as a coloring agent
in some Hispanic cooking, in which it imparts a color ranging from
a light orange to a deeper red. It has little flavor. It's color is
not a true red, as in FD&C red dyes (food coloring).

For a deeper discussion of Mexican food additives like coloring and
spicing, it's time to go to the web. Try using Ask rather than
Giggle, though. Or go easy on yourself and use dogpile.com, a
meta-search engine. Don't forget AltaVista.

Alex, who notes that many Mexican spices and herbs will cause
color casts to food, including cumin and saffron (Azafran). There
is also a false saffron (Mexican saffron, safflower) which I think
is a variety of Daisy or something, and imparts almost no flavor,
but does impart a yellow color. The dried petals are used.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:06:26 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>On Aug 14, 9:07*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
>> On Aug 13, 5:59*am, Chemiker > wrote:
>>
>> > On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 01:02:43 -0700 (PDT),Manda Ruby

>> > Maybe not. If it was a yellowish orange, it might have been achiote.

>Yes, annato and achiote are the same. One approach to take is to use
>annato seeds, aka achiote seeds, to make flavored oil. To about 1/4
>cup olive oil add 2 TB annato seed, bring to a simmer, reduce heat and
>let infuse for about five minutes. Strain out and discard the seeds.
>Now you have a colored, flavored oil you can use for rice or for
>fajitas or for sofrito (another term with multiple meanings depending
>on which country's cuisine). I can easily see using it for fajitas,
>though I don't make them.

Also used as a colorant for rice. I question that you could be sure
that achiote flavor would be identifiable in your marinade. I suggest
you become familiar with it by making an oil infusion as has been
described, then taste it. Make rice with it. Learn to ID whatever
little flavor it has.

> In the supermarkets around SoCal there are
>often rack displays of numerous spices and herbs in cellophane
>packets, which will include achiote seeds quite inexpensively. -
>aem

Here in Texas (Houston-Beaumont), common brands are Melinda's
and Fiesta. Both overpriced. Also available through Penzey's by
online order/mail delivery. See:

http://penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

and

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...nattoseed.html

Do not be confused by the yellow/red conflict. When used in strength,
the color is a reddish-orange. When used with restraint, it is more
yellowish-orange. The color imparted to the food is NOT the same
as the color of the dry seed.

HTH

Alex, who is thinking more and more you have run into Mexican
(false) saffron.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 14:07:56 -0500, Chemiker
> wrote:

Completely forgot, Annatto (achiote) is the coloring
agent used in cheese making, that causes the yellow
color. Used to make various "cheddars", "edams", and
the like.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 12:25*pm, Manda Ruby > wrote:

> I once saw a Quesadilla maker on Craigslist. Wished I had bought it.
> Can it be made w/o the Quesadilla *maker?

You can make quesadillas in a frying pan. Just flip them over halfway
through.

Honestly, a quesadilla is cheese melted onto a tortilla. Can't you
figure
out how to do that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 11:06*am, aem > wrote:
> On Aug 14, 9:07*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
>

> > On Aug 13, 5:59*am, Chemiker > wrote:

> > > On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 01:02:43 -0700 (PDT),Manda Ruby

> > > Maybe not. If it was a yellowish orange, it might have been achiote.

> > I saw that word achiote when I googled annatto. If it is achiote which
> > gives color and flavor, I want to buy it. I like the flavor of that
> > fajita to fry chicken one of the way my family fried. *As far as I
> > know, cumin wasn't used in that dish but tumeric was. It takes some
> > skills to fry that chicken to be crisp w/o deep frying and smell so
> > nice and tasy. *The smell of that fajita reminded me of that fried
> > chicken.

> Yes, annato and achiote are the same. *One approach to take is to use
> annato seeds, aka achiote seeds, to make flavored oil. *To about 1/4
> cup olive oil add 2 TB annato seed, bring to a simmer, reduce heat and
> let infuse for about five minutes. *Strain out and discard the seeds.
> Now you have a colored, flavored oil you can use for rice or for
> fajitas or for sofrito (another term with multiple meanings depending
> on which country's cuisine). *I can easily see using it for fajitas,
> though I don't make them. *In the supermarkets around SoCal there are
> often rack displays of numerous spices and herbs in cellophane
> packets, which will include achiote seeds quite inexpensively.

Thanks. I am sure I can find it locally, may be the same Mexican
grocery store I got the fajita meat from.

> aem- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 12:22*pm, Chemiker > wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:06:26 -0700 (PDT), aem >
> wrote:

> >Yes, annato and achiote are the same. *One approach to take is to use
> >annato seeds, aka achiote seeds, to make flavored oil. *To about 1/4
> >cup olive oil add 2 TB annato seed, bring to a simmer, reduce heat and
> >let infuse for about five minutes. *Strain out and discard the seeds.
> >Now you have a colored, flavored oil you can use for rice or for
> >fajitas or for sofrito (another term with multiple meanings depending
> >on which country's cuisine). *I can easily see using it for fajitas,
> >though I don't make them. *

> Also used as a colorant for rice. I question that you could be sure
> that achiote flavor would be identifiable in your marinade. I suggest
> you become familiar with it by making an oil infusion as has been
> described, then taste it. Make rice with it. Learn to ID whatever
> little flavor it has.

OK.

> > In the supermarkets around SoCal there are
> >often rack displays of numerous spices and herbs in cellophane
> >packets, which will include achiote seeds quite inexpensively. * * -
> >aem

> Here in Texas (Houston-Beaumont), common brands are Melinda's
> and Fiesta. Both overpriced. Also available through Penzey's by
> online order/mail delivery. See:
>
> http://penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html
>
> and
>
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...nattoseed.html

Thank you.

> Do not be confused by the yellow/red conflict. When used in strength,
> the color is a reddish-orange. When used with restraint, it is more
> yellowish-orange. The color imparted to the food is NOT the same
> as the color of the dry seed.

I see.

> HTH
>
> Alex, who is thinking more and more you have run into Mexican
> (false) saffron.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:25:07 -0500, Chemiker wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 06:56:04 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
> > wrote:
>
>>On Aug 13, 12:14*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
>>> From a Mexican gocery store, I bought 3 peices of chicken leg quarters
>>> already marinaded. The label says *"PIERNA Y MUSLO ADOBADA". What is
>>> it?
>>>
>>> I also bought some mrainade Fajita. *Hope it tastes good. About to
>>> cook now.

>>Besa mi culo, puta bitch.

> OK, so it's OT....
>
> Did you choose your screen name because you suffer
> from projectile vomiting? Or because people suffer
> from the condition whenever you're around?
>
> Just curious.
>
> Alex

explosive diarrhea was already taken.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy wrote:

>> I once saw a Quesadilla maker on Craigslist. Wished I had bought it. Can
>> it be made w/o the Quesadilla maker?

> You can make quesadillas in a frying pan. Just flip them over halfway
> through.
>
> Honestly, a quesadilla is cheese melted onto a tortilla. Can't you figure
> out how to do that?

Heh...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...12a897f9889a15

From: "jmcquown"
"I have a Santa Fe electric quesadilla baker which I adore."

Bob, with a pretty phenomenal memory