Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Favorite Food Sites?

Hello all,

As I was doing my daily lurk around my favorite web sites, I wondered
what others like to read.

I always check out Epicurious.com, and I also like The Crepes of Wrath
(http://crepesofwrath.net/).

Once in a while I check out Food Network (as a recipe search only) and
Martha Stewart (ditto).

What sites/blogs do you guys like?

Kris, who's always looking for a new site to waste time on
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 11, 9:14*am, Kris > wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> As I was doing my daily lurk around my favorite web sites, I wondered
> what others like to read.
>
> I always check out Epicurious.com, and I also like The Crepes of Wrath
> (http://crepesofwrath.net/).
>
> Once in a while I check out Food Network (as a recipe search only) and
> Martha Stewart (ditto).
>
> What sites/blogs do you guys like?
>
> Kris, who's always looking for a new site to waste time on

eGullet has so many different forums you're sure to find some that
cover topics of interest to you. Quality depends on participants, of
course, and whether your topics of interest attract good posters seems
pretty random. If you're looking to waste time, prowling around
several forums there will certainly do it for you.

Speaking of that, a mixed blessing about the current state of rfc is
that it takes hardly any time lately. Once you skip the spam and the
posts from those you know to be always devoid of content there's only
a handful of threads a day to look at, and within those threads many
post(er)s that can easily be skipped. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris > wrote in message
[snip]
> What sites/blogs do you guys like?

Country Living. I've found a lot of the recipes are easy and fun to make. I
also like the fact that it's also part of a family of magazines I have been
reading for a few years.
http://www.countryliving.com/

Local Harvest. I enjoy their newsletter and alerts.
http://www.localharvest.org/

Heritage Food USA. Another newsletter I enjoy reading although the farms
that get mentioned are a tad pricy.
http://heritagefoodusa.com/

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 11, 1:06*pm, aem > wrote:
> On Aug 11, 9:14*am, Kris > wrote:
>
> > Hello all,

> > As I was doing my daily lurk around my favorite web sites, I wondered
> > what others like to read.

> > I always check out Epicurious.com, and I also like The Crepes of Wrath
> > (http://crepesofwrath.net/).

> > Once in a while I check out Food Network (as a recipe search only) and
> > Martha Stewart (ditto).

> > What sites/blogs do you guys like?

> > Kris, who's always looking for a new site to waste time on

> eGullet has so many different forums you're sure to find some that
> cover topics of interest to you. *Quality depends on participants, of
> course, and whether your topics of interest attract good posters seems
> pretty random. *If you're looking to waste time, prowling around
> several forums there will certainly do it for you.
>
> Speaking of that, a mixed blessing about the current state of rfc is
> that it takes hardly any time lately. *Once you skip the spam and the
> posts from those you know to be always devoid of content there's only
> a handful of threads a day to look at, and within those threads many
> post(er)s that can easily be skipped. * *-aem

Wow, e Gullet is a GREAT site! Thanks for cluing me in on that.

RFC is at a low right now, isn't it? I find few things to respond to
lately. Hopefully it will pick up.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 11, 1:10*pm, "The Ranger" <cuhulain _ > wrote:
> Kris > wrote in message

> [snip]
>
> > What sites/blogs do you guys like?

> Country Living. I've found a lot of the recipes are easy and fun to make. I
> also like the fact that it's also part of a family of magazines I have been
> reading for a few years.http://www.countryliving.com/
>
> Local Harvest. I enjoy their newsletter and alerts.http://www.localharvest.org/
>
> Heritage Food USA. Another newsletter I enjoy reading although the farms
> that get mentioned are a tad pricy.http://heritagefoodusa.com/
>
> The Ranger

I see Local Harvest is a good source for looking up local places. I
like to do the "u pick" kind of places, and this has shown me some
local ones I didn't know of before.

Thanks,
Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:14:54 -0700 (PDT), Kris wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> As I was doing my daily lurk around my favorite web sites, I wondered
> what others like to read.
>
> I always check out Epicurious.com, and I also like The Crepes of Wrath
> (http://crepesofwrath.net/).
>
> Once in a while I check out Food Network (as a recipe search only) and
> Martha Stewart (ditto).
>
> What sites/blogs do you guys like?
>
> Kris, who's always looking for a new site to waste time on

No, no, no. It goes, "Hey folks - I just found this great new
site...."

(No, I don't think it's your site - you're in MN, they're in AZ.
But it would have fooled most people)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:14:54 -0700 (PDT), Kris wrote:
>
> > Kris, who's always looking for a new site to waste time on

> No, no, no. It goes, "Hey folks - I just found this great new
> site...."

No, it's "I stumbled across this website . . .".

For some crazy reason, that is the most common
preamble of a spammer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 11, 10:03*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:14:54 -0700 (PDT), Kris wrote:

> > > Kris, who's always looking for a new site to waste time on

> > No, no, no. *It goes, "Hey folks - I just found this great new
> > site...."

> No, it's "I stumbled across this website . . .".
>
> For some crazy reason, that is the most common
> preamble of a spammer.

Hey - no spam here! I post fairly regularly on this newsgroup!!

This is a genuine question to find other good cooking/food sites.
Sorry if it sounded otherwise.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:46:27 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

>One of these sites let me search Google Blogs - is that what your
>Google Reader will store? Just curious.

Not as far as I can tell. It's a bit different, but I can't tell you
how. I think Google Reader blog choices are blogs that offer an RSS
feed, whatever that is. I subscribed to most of what I posted as
email in Google Reader. I didn't notice Google blogs there - but I
don't know anything about them either.

The only reason why Google Reader wouldn't work out, AFAIC, is because
I don't use that Google Homepage thingie. I just use Google *as* my
homepage.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 19:06:04 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

>On Aug 11, 10:03*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>> > No, no, no. *It goes, "Hey folks - I just found this great new
>> > site...."

>> No, it's "I stumbled across this website . . .".
>>
>> For some crazy reason, that is the most common
>> preamble of a spammer.

>Hey - no spam here! I post fairly regularly on this newsgroup!!
>
>This is a genuine question to find other good cooking/food sites.
>Sorry if it sounded otherwise.

There's always some wise ass regular or idiotic lurker who will jump
up and call you a spammer if you ever *do* stumble on a good web site
to share with rfc. You got hit by two of the wisest of asses. I'm
sure others will chime in soon.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 19:29:41 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 19:06:04 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:

>>> No, it's "I stumbled across this website . . .".
>>>
>>> For some crazy reason, that is the most common
>>> preamble of a spammer.

>>Hey - no spam here! I post fairly regularly on this newsgroup!!
>>
>>This is a genuine question to find other good cooking/food sites.
>>Sorry if it sounded otherwise.
>>

> There's always some wise ass regular or idiotic lurker who will jump
> up and call you a spammer if you ever *do* stumble on a good web site
> to share with rfc. You got hit by two of the wisest of asses. I'm
> sure others will chime in soon.

This wisest ass even put a disclaimer that I *knew* they were not
spamming their site.

You're constantly whining about something or another. You're worse
than bobo, even.

So kindly **** off and have your menopause elsewhere.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 19:06:04 -0700 (PDT), Kris wrote:

> On Aug 11, 10:03*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> No, no, no. *It goes, "Hey folks - I just found this great new
>>> site...."

>> No, it's "I stumbled across this website . . .".
>>
>> For some crazy reason, that is the most common
>> preamble of a spammer.

> Hey - no spam here! I post fairly regularly on this newsgroup!!
>
> This is a genuine question to find other good cooking/food sites.
> Sorry if it sounded otherwise.
>
> Kris

your post sounded pretty normal to me. some folks have a suspicious
nature, but i think these two were just teasing.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3
> I also found Kris' post pretty normal and I read her posts regularly. >
> She's not a spammer. Stevie was not teasing. He's either off his meds >
> or has another bottle of vodka stuck up his ass. Or maybe he needs
> another trip back to the asylum for yet another jolt. I don't know >
> Thorson that well so I don't have an opinion on what he was up to.
>
> Michael

There are any number of people here who sound paranoid about people's
websites, as if someone comes here and posts for years in hopes they will
click on the quivering blue link where there is a Romanian criminal waiting
to suck them into an identity stealing machine.

Meanwhile the site owners are paying all the freight to be online, cook
experimentally and learn to photograph well enough to properly represent
their stuff. It's enough to make you lose faith in humanity. How dare
they!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> blake murphy >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>

>> your post sounded pretty normal to me. some folks have a suspicious
>> nature, but i think these two were just teasing.
>>

> I also found Kris' post pretty normal and I read her posts regularly.
> She's not a spammer. Stevie was not teasing. He's either off his meds
> or has another bottle of vodka stuck up his ass. Or maybe he needs
> another trip back to the asylum for yet another jolt. I don't know
> Thorson that well so I don't have an opinion on what he was up to.
>
> Michael

Kris is a regular poster, but I always thought Kris was a dude. Geez
Louise, this when you know you are getting old, when you can't
differentiate between guys and gals.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 3:47*pm, Becca > admitted:
[snip]
> you know you are getting old, when you can't
> differentiate between guys and gals. *

I've been warned it's not as important...

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 6:47*pm, Becca > wrote:
> Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> > blake murphy > *
> :i n rec.food.cooking

> >> your post sounded pretty normal to me. *some folks have a suspicious
> >> nature, but i think these two were just teasing.

> > I also found Kris' post pretty normal and I read her posts regularly.
> > She's not a spammer. *Stevie was not teasing. *He's either off his meds
> > or has another bottle of vodka stuck up his ass. Or maybe he needs
> > another trip back to the asylum for yet another jolt. I don't know
> > Thorson that well so I don't have an opinion on what he was up to.

> > Michael

> Kris is a regular poster, but I always thought Kris was a dude. *Geez
> Louise, this when you know you are getting old, when you can't
> differentiate between guys and gals. *
>
> Becca- Hide quoted text -

I promise you I'm a female! (Kris is short for Kristen). I gave birth
to 2 kids to prove it.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:

> I promise you I'm a female! (Kris is short for Kristen). I gave birth to 2
> kids to prove it.

I'd say that's pretty conclusive.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris > wrote in message
> I promise you I'm a female! (Kris is short for Kristen). I
> gave birth to 2 kids to prove it.

http://randomknowledge.files.wordpre...ternet_dog.jpg

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Kris wrote:
>
>> I promise you I'm a female! (Kris is short for Kristen). I gave birth
>> to 2 kids to prove it.

> I'd say that's pretty conclusive.
>
> Bob

Not without notarized pictures with the seal over both the names and
part of the pictures. And those can be faked without a raised seal
pretty easily. And then someone could probably Photoshop those easily.

For all we know she could be a homeless trash picker with Wi-Fi.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 17:47:59 -0500, Becca > wrote:

>Kris is a regular poster, but I always thought Kris was a dude. Geez
>Louise, this when you know you are getting old, when you can't
>differentiate between guys and gals.

I think you and I are from the same era, but bringing up Kris with a K
was not shocking to me. I have the context of knowing a female Kris -
way back when I was a kid and she is the only real life Kris I've
known to date... this experience was the boonies of Michigan and she
was born around 1950.

Odd name spellings aren't as fashion forward as people want you to
think! I once knew someone named Pamila.... her father didn't know
how to spell the name so that's how it was recorded on her birth
certificate. So for me, Pamila will forever be the correct way to
spell it - because she was my first Pam. <sniffle>

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris > wrote in news:84fd2ac7-7a5a-463f-9f4a-
:

> Hello all,
>
> As I was doing my daily lurk around my favorite web sites, I wondered
> what others like to read.
>
> I always check out Epicurious.com, and I also like The Crepes of Wrath
> (
http://crepesofwrath.net/).

> Once in a while I check out Food Network (as a recipe search only) and
> Martha Stewart (ditto).
>
> What sites/blogs do you guys like?
>
> Kris, who's always looking for a new site to waste time on

I'll read this thread with interest to try to find some new timewasters
myself :-) and inspiration!

Lately I've been enjoying

www.davidlebovitz.com (have to check out his books now)
www.chocolateandzucchini.com
www.smittenkitchen.com

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Core of my heart, my country! Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine she pays us back threefold.
My Country, Dorothea MacKellar, 1904

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> I think you and I are from the same era, but bringing up Kris with a K
> was not shocking to me. I have the context of knowing a female Kris -
> way back when I was a kid and she is the only real life Kris I've
> known to date... this experience was the boonies of Michigan and she
> was born around 1950.
>
> Odd name spellings aren't as fashion forward as people want you to
> think! I once knew someone named Pamila.... her father didn't know
> how to spell the name so that's how it was recorded on her birth
> certificate. So for me, Pamila will forever be the correct way to
> spell it - because she was my first Pam. <sniffle>

The latest winner of American Idol was a male named Kris, so, finding no
other excuses, I will blame it on that. ;-)

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 19:17:13 -0700 (PDT), Kris wrote:

> On Aug 13, 6:47*pm, Becca > wrote:
>> Michael "Dog3" wrote:
>>> blake murphy > *
:i n rec.food.cooking

>>> I also found Kris' post pretty normal and I read her posts regularly.
>>> She's not a spammer. *Stevie was not teasing. *He's either off his meds
>>> or has another bottle of vodka stuck up his ass. Or maybe he needs
>>> another trip back to the asylum for yet another jolt. I don't know
>>> Thorson that well so I don't have an opinion on what he was up to.

>>> Michael

>> Kris is a regular poster, but I always thought Kris was a dude. *Geez
>> Louise, this when you know you are getting old, when you can't
>> differentiate between guys and gals. *
>>
>> Becca- Hide quoted text -

> I promise you I'm a female! (Kris is short for Kristen). I gave birth
> to 2 kids to prove it.
>
> Kris

we demand to see their birth certificates! vault copies only, none of this
certificate of live birth jazz, either!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 22:39:38 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Kris wrote:
>>
>>> I promise you I'm a female! (Kris is short for Kristen). I gave birth
>>> to 2 kids to prove it.

>> I'd say that's pretty conclusive.
>>
>> Bob

> Not without notarized pictures with the seal over both the names and
> part of the pictures. And those can be faked without a raised seal
> pretty easily. And then someone could probably Photoshop those easily.
>
> For all we know she could be a homeless trash picker with Wi-Fi.
>
> Bob

i *thought* i saw her driving a hummer with a pole and two bags in her
hand!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 19:17:13 -0700 (PDT), Kris wrote:
>

>> I promise you I'm a female! (Kris is short for Kristen). I gave birth
>> to 2 kids to prove it.
>>
>> Kris
>>

> we demand to see their birth certificates! vault copies only, none of this
> certificate of live birth jazz, either!
>
> your pal,
> blake

At least you didn't demand to look in her genes (jeans?).

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 22:39:38 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:
>
>> Bob Terwilliger wrote:

>>> I'd say that's pretty conclusive.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Not without notarized pictures with the seal over both the names and
>> part of the pictures. And those can be faked without a raised seal
>> pretty easily. And then someone could probably Photoshop those easily.
>>
>> For all we know she could be a homeless trash picker with Wi-Fi.
>>
>> Bob

> i *thought* i saw her driving a hummer with a pole and two bags in her
> hand!
>
> your pal,
> blake

Actually, I'm a big fan of Kris, and am going NA-NA-NA-NA-NA very loudly
with my fingers in my eyes as I was read the negative posts :-)

Sometimes your pal,

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 17:23:47 -0500, Becca wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 19:17:13 -0700 (PDT), Kris wrote:
>>

>>> I promise you I'm a female! (Kris is short for Kristen). I gave birth
>>> to 2 kids to prove it.
>>>
>>> Kris
>>>

>> we demand to see their birth certificates! vault copies only, none of this
>> certificate of live birth jazz, either!
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake
>>

> At least you didn't demand to look in her genes (jeans?).
>
> Becca

i'm a gentleman. i'd have to take her to dinner first.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 19:17:13 -0700 (PDT), Kris wrote:

> I promise you I'm a female! (Kris is short for Kristen). I gave birth
> to 2 kids to prove it.

You could be a goat, then.

-sw