Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Most hated small kitchen appliance?

Most hated small kitchen appliance?

Mine would be the portable toaster/convection oven.

I swear, every time I use it I practically have to re-read the user manual.
May be my fear of push buttons.

You?

Andy
--
I'm no longer a danger to society.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 9, 7:31*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Most hated small kitchen appliance?
>
> Mine would be the portable toaster/convection oven.
>
> I swear, every time I use it I practically have to re-read the user manual.
> May be my fear of push buttons.
>
> You?
>
> Andy

I can't think of a hated kitchen appliance I own. But I love my
toaster convection oven. Very simple to use. One dial for time one
dial for temperature and one more dial if I wanted to bake, toast,
broil, or use the convection feature.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy > wrote:

> Most hated small kitchen appliance?
>
> Mine would be the portable toaster/convection oven.
>
> I swear, every time I use it I practically have to re-read the user manual.
> May be my fear of push buttons.
>
> You?
>
> Andy

I have a Toastmaster large sized TO that I love. Big enough to do
casserole sized dishes. I've done roast beef adn pork roasts in it
successfully. But this one is better than the average TO.

My most hated is one I don't have, the countertop pizza cooker. Spin
the pizza around and only heat it in one vector. No insulation to
retain heat, and most of the orbit, no heat exposure. What a screwed up
idea.

Passed more of these at garage sales than picture frames a few years
back. Never see them any more, thankfully.

jt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 9, 7:31*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Most hated small kitchen appliance?
>
> Mine would be the portable toaster/convection oven.
>
> I swear, every time I use it I practically have to re-read the user manual.
> May be my fear of push buttons.
>
> You?

Stand mixer. Mine about breaks my thumb when I push the release
button for the beaters.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I can't think of a hated kitchen appliance I own. But I love my
> toaster convection oven. Very simple to use. One dial for time one
> dial for temperature and one more dial if I wanted to bake, toast,
> broil, or use the convection feature.

itsjoannotjoann,

I love the performance of the toaster/convection oven, don't get me wrong.

There are all these buttons and over on one end is a practically unreadable
unlit one-line LED display to monitor your selection process.

I'm also not fond of the 2-foot AC cord. Makes placement of the unit a PITA,
imho.

I use it only for some roast beasts or reheating leftover pizza, not for
toast.

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I have a Toastmaster large sized TO that I love. Big enough to do
> casserole sized dishes. I've done roast beef adn pork roasts in it
> successfully. But this one is better than the average TO.

I thought mine was better than average when I bought it!

Agreed, it does a superb job on roasts, size permitting.

> My most hated is one I don't have, the countertop pizza cooker. Spin
> the pizza around and only heat it in one vector. No insulation to
> retain heat, and most of the orbit, no heat exposure. What a screwed up
> idea.
>
> Passed more of these at garage sales than picture frames a few years
> back. Never see them any more, thankfully.

I bought an electric steamer years ago. I used it exactly twice. The second
time to see if I'd made some mistake. Nope.

I threw it away. It really was a dismal small appliance. I wasn't about to
let it see the garage sale light of day.

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jt august said...

> My most hated is one I don't have, the countertop pizza cooker. Spin
> the pizza around and only heat it in one vector. No insulation to
> retain heat, and most of the orbit, no heat exposure. What a screwed up
> idea.

Agreed. Let's NOT cook a pizza ALL AT ONCE! LOLOL!

The first time I saw the commercial I figured it had to be a joke. Today,
it's probably a buy one, get two free offer.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Most hated small kitchen appliance?
>
> Mine would be the portable toaster/convection oven.
>
> I swear, every time I use it I practically have to re-read the user
> manual.
> May be my fear of push buttons.
>
> You?
>
> Andy
> --
> I'm no longer a danger to society.

Definitely a mandolin. I don't own one and won't have one in the house - I
just know what would happen to my fingertips if there was one around.
Hoges

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hoges in WA said...

> Definitely a mandolin. I don't own one and won't have one in the house
> - I just know what would happen to my fingertips if there was one
> around. Hoges

Oh... c'mon!!!

The "as seen on TV" plastic (from the late 90's) cheap-o mandolin came with a
hand held protection device you'd three prong "sting" the [whatever] to then
go at it.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Hoges in WA said...
>
>> Definitely a mandolin. I don't own one and won't have one in the house
>> - I just know what would happen to my fingertips if there was one
>> around. Hoges

> Oh... c'mon!!!
>
> The "as seen on TV" plastic (from the late 90's) cheap-o mandolin came
> with a
> hand held protection device you'd three prong "sting" the [whatever] to
> then
> go at it.
>
> Andy

Bet my bottom dollar I could make it slice off my fingertips.
Without hardly trying. I shudder just thinking about it.
I was cutting an avocado about a month back when my wife was out of the
house.
Looked like a war zone when she came back. The Wusthof slipped just a tiny
bit.
I've been doing that for years. Motorbikes, knives,
surfboards.......electrical power points, toaster.
I really have to take more care.
Hoges in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hoges in WA said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message
>> Hoges in WA said...
>>
>>> Definitely a mandolin. I don't own one and won't have one in the
>>> house - I just know what would happen to my fingertips if there was
>>> one around. Hoges

>> Oh... c'mon!!!
>>
>> The "as seen on TV" plastic (from the late 90's) cheap-o mandolin came
>> with a
>> hand held protection device you'd three prong "sting" the [whatever] to
>> then
>> go at it.
>>
>> Andy

> Bet my bottom dollar I could make it slice off my fingertips.
> Without hardly trying. I shudder just thinking about it.
> I was cutting an avocado about a month back when my wife was out of the
> house.
> Looked like a war zone when she came back. The Wusthof slipped just a
> tiny bit.
> I've been doing that for years. Motorbikes, knives,
> surfboards.......electrical power points, toaster.
> I really have to take more care.
> Hoges in WA

Beyond Belief Bullshit of the Day!

Can you safely brush your teeth?

Andy

--
I'm no longer a danger to society.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Hoges in WA said...
>

>> "Andy" > wrote in message
>>> Hoges in WA said...

>>> Oh... c'mon!!!
>>>
>>> The "as seen on TV" plastic (from the late 90's) cheap-o mandolin came
>>> with a
>>> hand held protection device you'd three prong "sting" the [whatever] to
>>> then
>>> go at it.
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Bet my bottom dollar I could make it slice off my fingertips.
>> Without hardly trying. I shudder just thinking about it.
>> I was cutting an avocado about a month back when my wife was out of the
>> house.
>> Looked like a war zone when she came back. The Wusthof slipped just a
>> tiny bit.
>> I've been doing that for years. Motorbikes, knives,
>> surfboards.......electrical power points, toaster.
>> I really have to take more care.
>> Hoges in WA

> Beyond Belief Bullshit of the Day!
>
> Can you safely brush your teeth?
>
> Andy

Electric toothbrush, works OK.
I put my .38s down before I start, though.
Hoges in WA
..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 9, 8:31*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Most hated small kitchen appliance?
>
> Mine would be the portable toaster/convection oven.
>
> I swear, every time I use it I practically have to re-read the user manual.
> May be my fear of push buttons.
>
> You?

portable toaster oven? Never heard of such a thing. We have one that
my husband insists needs to sit on the kitchen table so he can toast
his bread in the morning and reach in to grab it while he drinks his
coffee and eats his eggs. Otherwise, I like all of my appliances.
haven't met one that isn't useful at least some of the time!

Perhaps if you used it more frequently (are you cooking for one? It's
ideal for that) you wouldn't need the manual quite so often.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 9, 8:31*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Most hated small kitchen appliance?
>
> Mine would be the portable toaster/convection oven.
>
> I swear, every time I use it I practically have to re-read the user manual.
> May be my fear of push buttons.

If I hated a small kitchen appliance, I'd get rid of it.

I have the toaster oven that we got 20 years ago as a wedding present.
It's mounted under the upper cabinets so as to take up less space.

It's got a dial marked with temperature (Fahrenheit), a pushdown
switch
for the toaster functionality, and another dial to indicate toast
darkness.
IIRC, it's a Black and Decker.

It doesn't see a whale of a lot of use. I make nachos in it about
once a
month, and toast an onion roll for hamburgers every week or two. Any
real cooking is done in the oven, or (this time of year) using the gas
grill
as an oven. I'd probably replace it if it died, provided I could get
something
comparable.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine said...

> On Aug 9, 8:31*pm, Andy > wrote:
>> Most hated small kitchen appliance?
>>
>> Mine would be the portable toaster/convection oven.
>>
>> I swear, every time I use it I practically have to re-read the user

manua
> l.
>> May be my fear of push buttons.
>>
>> You?

> portable toaster oven? Never heard of such a thing. We have one that
> my husband insists needs to sit on the kitchen table so he can toast
> his bread in the morning and reach in to grab it while he drinks his
> coffee and eats his eggs. Otherwise, I like all of my appliances.
> haven't met one that isn't useful at least some of the time!
>
> Perhaps if you used it more frequently (are you cooking for one? It's
> ideal for that) you wouldn't need the manual quite so often.
>
> maxine in ri

maxine in ri,

Perhaps I should've let a picture tell the story?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...CL._SS500_.jpg

I love my 2-slice toaster! I'd be toast making toast in that thing.

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy wrote on Mon, 10 Aug 2009 06:39:58 -0700 (PDT):

> On Aug 9, 8:31 pm, Andy > wrote:
>> Most hated small kitchen appliance?
>>
>> Mine would be the portable toaster/convection oven.
>>
>> I swear, every time I use it I practically have to re-read
>> the user manual. May be my fear of push buttons.

> If I hated a small kitchen appliance, I'd get rid of it.

> I have the toaster oven that we got 20 years ago as a wedding
> present. It's mounted under the upper cabinets so as to take
> up less space.

> It's got a dial marked with temperature (Fahrenheit), a
> pushdown switch
> for the toaster functionality, and another dial to indicate
> toast darkness.
> IIRC, it's a Black and Decker.

> It doesn't see a whale of a lot of use. I make nachos in it
> about once a
> month, and toast an onion roll for hamburgers every week or
> two. Any real cooking is done in the oven, or (this time of
> year) using the gas grill
> as an oven. I'd probably replace it if it died, provided I
> could get something
> comparable.

My most hated appliance is the diet scale that I must use :-(

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine said...

> We have one that
> my husband insists needs to sit on the kitchen table so he can toast
> his bread in the morning and reach in to grab it while he drinks his
> coffee and eats his eggs.

If I had a wife that demanded that, I'd probably, not having the patience for
a long divorce, just shoot her!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton said...

> On Aug 9, 8:31*pm, Andy > wrote:
>> Most hated small kitchen appliance?
>>
>> Mine would be the portable toaster/convection oven.
>>
>> I swear, every time I use it I practically have to re-read the user

manua
> l.
>> May be my fear of push buttons.

> If I hated a small kitchen appliance, I'd get rid of it.
>
> I have the toaster oven that we got 20 years ago as a wedding present.
> It's mounted under the upper cabinets so as to take up less space.
>
> It's got a dial marked with temperature (Fahrenheit), a pushdown
> switch
> for the toaster functionality, and another dial to indicate toast
> darkness.
> IIRC, it's a Black and Decker.
>
> It doesn't see a whale of a lot of use. I make nachos in it about
> once a
> month, and toast an onion roll for hamburgers every week or two. Any
> real cooking is done in the oven, or (this time of year) using the gas
> grill
> as an oven. I'd probably replace it if it died, provided I could get
> something
> comparable.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Cindy,

My latest 2-slice toaster I got at Target. Being my anal self, I had to
plug them in at the store to see if they were quick and bright heating up.
After 5 or so, I settled on one. I've been really happy with it. A bonus
was noticing the bagel switch to only run the inside elements to cook the
cut side. Works great for English muffins and burger buns. I was just as
overjoyed as can be!!! Every now and then I forget the bagel switch setting
and get one sided toast! OOPS!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Hoges in WA said...
>
>> Definitely a mandolin. I don't own one and won't have one in the house
>> - I just know what would happen to my fingertips if there was one
>> around. Hoges

> Oh... c'mon!!!
>
> The "as seen on TV" plastic (from the late 90's) cheap-o mandolin came
> with a
> hand held protection device you'd three prong "sting" the [whatever] to
> then
> go at it.

For thin slices I much prefer my box grater... just yesterday I thinly
sliced a dozen large cukes for salad in like ten minutes.

To me the most worthless kitchen appliance, unless one is handicapped, is an
electric can opener. I think my mother had one on purpose so she could hear
us sneaking into the canned goods. Nothing works better than a hand held
Swing-A-Way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 9, 5:31*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Most hated small kitchen appliance?
>
> Mine would be the portable toaster/convection oven.
>
> I swear, every time I use it I practically have to re-read the user manual.
> May be my fear of push buttons.
>
> You?
>
> Andy
> --
> I'm no longer a danger to society.

i had a delonghi toaster oven that i bought in the '90's. it was hard
to clean, didn't cook evenly, yadda, yadda, yadda. the thing finally
died almost two years ago, & i bought a krupps with the convection
feature, which i love. however, when the start button is pushed,
there is a high pitched beep, and when it finishes there are 5 high
pitched beeps...scares the psychotic jack russell.

harriet & critters (j j the world famous jack russell terrior (who
will be 15 in october) and ms faddy tabby catty, the lady maine coon
who is my alarm clock beginning every morning at 6:30 am, but who does
not have a snooze button.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message
>>
>> The "as seen on TV" plastic (from the late 90's) cheap-o mandolin came
>> with a
>> hand held protection device you'd three prong "sting" the [whatever] to
>> then
>> go at it.
>>

> For thin slices I much prefer my box grater... just yesterday I thinly
> sliced a dozen large cukes for salad in like ten minutes.

Sheldon,

What if you needed thicker slices?

I'd venture a guess the mandolin would do the job faster but I've got no
use for a dozen cucumbers at the moment to debate your claim.

What exactly did you make with a dozen cucumbers anyway?

> To me the most worthless kitchen appliance, unless one is handicapped,
> is an electric can opener. I think my mother had one on purpose so she
> could hear us sneaking into the canned goods. Nothing works better than
> a hand held Swing-A-Way.

That's what I have. Should probably put it in the Will.

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> My most hated appliance is the diet scale that I must use :-(

And mine? I fell for a TV ad and bought a little monster that was
supposed to unscrew large and small jars (have little strength in my
hands). It didn't work, it doesn't work, so why on earth is it still
in my cabinet? (Excuse me, while I go and dump it out.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

critters & me in azusa, ca said...

> i had a delonghi toaster oven that i bought in the '90's. it was hard
> to clean, didn't cook evenly, yadda, yadda, yadda. the thing finally
> died almost two years ago, & i bought a krupps with the convection
> feature, which i love. however, when the start button is pushed,
> there is a high pitched beep, and when it finishes there are 5 high
> pitched beeps...scares the psychotic jack russell.
>
> harriet & critters (j j the world famous jack russell terrior (who
> will be 15 in october) and ms faddy tabby catty, the lady maine coon
> who is my alarm clock beginning every morning at 6:30 am, but who does
> not have a snooze button.)

Harriet,

If I were a world famous jack russell terrier, having seen everything, at
15yo AND psychotic, that would scare me too. Not the beeps, being a dog!
<VBG>

And does your cat adjust to daylight savings time and back properly?

Best,

Andy
JRT Annabelle aka "Doorbell"
13yo.
RIP

--
I'm no longer a danger to society.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Most hated small kitchen appliance?
>
> Mine would be the portable toaster/convection oven.
>
> I swear, every time I use it I practically have to re-read the user
> manual.
> May be my fear of push buttons.
>
> You?
>
> Andy
> --
> I'm no longer a danger to society.

I'd have to say I don't use my food processor as often as other folks here
do. I don't "hate" it but I could certainly do without it. A good sharp
knife works perfectly well for slicing and there are other methods for
shredding vegetables and cheeses for various recipes. I find cleaning the
food processor and the blades to be a PITA.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-10, Andy > wrote:

> You?

None. What kinda person would keep an appliance they hate?

Your posts are becoming even more absurd and less relevent, Andy.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> I find cleaning the food processor and the blades to be a PITA.

Jill,

Right!

I think we all have an aversion to food processors for that very reason.

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob said...

> Your posts are becoming even more absurd and less relevent, Andy.

You're as boring as notbob!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> brooklyn1 said...
>

>> "Andy" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> The "as seen on TV" plastic (from the late 90's) cheap-o mandolin came
>>> with a
>>> hand held protection device you'd three prong "sting" the [whatever] to
>>> then
>>> go at it.
>>>

>> For thin slices I much prefer my box grater... just yesterday I thinly
>> sliced a dozen large cukes for salad in like ten minutes.

> Sheldon,
>
> What if you needed thicker slices?

Chefs knife. If I want paper thin cuke slices/ribbons, for like garnish, I
use my trusty veggie peeler.

> I'd venture a guess the mandolin would do the job faster but I've got no
> use for a dozen cucumbers at the moment to debate your claim.

Neither is faster than you can move your arm... I find the box grater much
safer.

> What exactly did you make with a dozen cucumbers anyway?

Cucumber salad, I posted the picture yesterday, got 1 1/2 quarts... peeled
sliced cukes, apple cider vinegar, salt, white pepper, dill weed, honey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dora" > wrote in message
> James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> My most hated appliance is the diet scale that I must use :-(

> And mine? I fell for a TV ad and bought a little monster that was
> supposed to unscrew large and small jars (have little strength in my
> hands). It didn't work, it doesn't work, so why on earth is it still in
> my cabinet? (Excuse me, while I go and dump it out.)

You won't miss it, very few foods come in glass jars anymore, soon there'll
be none, plastic jars open easily. And soon all cans will have pull tops,
can openers will become useless antiques

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-10, Andy > wrote:

> You're as boring as notbob!

Not surprising, considering the material I've got to work with.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Most hated small kitchen appliance?
>
> Mine would be the portable toaster/convection oven.
>
> I swear, every time I use it I practically have to re-read the user manual.
> May be my fear of push buttons.
>
> You?
>
> Andy

Depends on what you mean by "hated". Do you
mean something I have but that's a pain to use or
something I would never own?

Something I would never own and have used elsewhere and
thus know enough about it to justify my hatred of it -
Kitchenaid mixer.

Something I would never own but have never actually
used - I can just tell I would hate it - bread machine
and rice steamer.

Something I own and love what it does but hate it because
it's a pain to clean - food processor and blender.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 said...

>> What exactly did you make with a dozen cucumbers anyway?
>>

> Cucumber salad, I posted the picture yesterday, got 1 1/2 quarts...
> peeled sliced cukes, apple cider vinegar, salt, white pepper, dill weed,
> honey.

What? You left out the onion?

Great stuff! Just the right salad for a heatwave!

I prefer the vinegar based not the creamy/mayo version, for dietetic reasons.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
>> I can't think of a hated kitchen appliance I own. But I love my
>> toaster convection oven. Very simple to use. One dial for time one
>> dial for temperature and one more dial if I wanted to bake, toast,
>> broil, or use the convection feature.

> itsjoannotjoann,
>
> I love the performance of the toaster/convection oven, don't get me wrong.
>
> There are all these buttons and over on one end is a practically unreadable
> unlit one-line LED display to monitor your selection process.
>
> I'm also not fond of the 2-foot AC cord. Makes placement of the unit a PITA,
> imho.

Mine is permanently placed on a narrow counter on the far side of the
stove. There's an outlet right there. It's always plugged in and never
moved. I can't imagine having one that you only got out and plugged in
once in a while when you wanted to use it, but then I use mine almost
every day.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jt august wrote:
> In article >, Andy > wrote:
>
>> Most hated small kitchen appliance?
>>
>> Mine would be the portable toaster/convection oven.
>>
>> I swear, every time I use it I practically have to re-read the user manual.
>> May be my fear of push buttons.
>>
>> You?
>>
>> Andy

> I have a Toastmaster large sized TO that I love. Big enough to do
> casserole sized dishes. I've done roast beef adn pork roasts in it
> successfully. But this one is better than the average TO.
>
> My most hated is one I don't have, the countertop pizza cooker. Spin
> the pizza around and only heat it in one vector. No insulation to
> retain heat, and most of the orbit, no heat exposure. What a screwed up
> idea.

Why in the world would anyone want a separate appliance
just to cook pizza. That's what the oven is for! Good grief!
I never heard of this thing before, guess I missed all the
infomercials about it.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hoges in WA wrote:
> "Andy" > wrote in message ...
>> Most hated small kitchen appliance?
>>
>> Mine would be the portable toaster/convection oven.
>>
>> I swear, every time I use it I practically have to re-read the user
>> manual.
>> May be my fear of push buttons.
>>
>> You?
>>
>> Andy
>> --
>> I'm no longer a danger to society.

> Definitely a mandolin. I don't own one and won't have one in the house - I
> just know what would happen to my fingertips if there was one around.
> Hoges

Uh, they have little gadgets to hold whatever you're slicing
and protect your fingers. I love mine and it saves having to
wash the food processor parts and makes nicer slices. Just takes
a little more work, that's all.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 9, 7:31*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Most hated small kitchen appliance?
>
> Mine would be the portable toaster/convection oven.
>
> I swear, every time I use it I practically have to re-read the user manual.
> May be my fear of push buttons.
>
> You?
>
> Andy
> --
> I'm no longer a danger to society.

From years ago . . . Remember the cookie shooter? Cookie dough on the
floor, on the walls, on the ceiling. on the cat . . .
Got rid of that damn thing fast!
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Most hated small kitchen appliance?
>>
>> Mine would be the portable toaster/convection oven.
>>
>> I swear, every time I use it I practically have to re-read the user
>> manual. May be my fear of push buttons.
>>
>> You?
>>
>> Andy

> Depends on what you mean by "hated". Do you
> mean something I have but that's a pain to use or
> something I would never own?
>
> Something I would never own and have used elsewhere and
> thus know enough about it to justify my hatred of it -
> Kitchenaid mixer.
>
> Something I would never own but have never actually
> used - I can just tell I would hate it - bread machine
> and rice steamer.
>
> Something I own and love what it does but hate it because
> it's a pain to clean - food processor and blender.
>
> Kate

Kate,

By "most hated" I meant the one appliance you have but dread using.

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> maxine said...
>
>> On Aug 9, 8:31 pm, Andy > wrote:
>>> Most hated small kitchen appliance?
>>>
>>> Mine would be the portable toaster/convection oven.
>>>
>>> I swear, every time I use it I practically have to re-read the user

> manua
>> l.
>>> May be my fear of push buttons.
>>>
>>> You?

>> portable toaster oven? Never heard of such a thing. We have one that
>> my husband insists needs to sit on the kitchen table so he can toast
>> his bread in the morning and reach in to grab it while he drinks his
>> coffee and eats his eggs. Otherwise, I like all of my appliances.
>> haven't met one that isn't useful at least some of the time!
>>
>> Perhaps if you used it more frequently (are you cooking for one? It's
>> ideal for that) you wouldn't need the manual quite so often.
>>
>> maxine in ri

> maxine in ri,
>
> Perhaps I should've let a picture tell the story?
>
> http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...CL._SS500_.jpg
>
> I love my 2-slice toaster! I'd be toast making toast in that thing.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Ah, well, there's your problem. You should have bought the
cheap one.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-10, Kate Connally > wrote:
> jt august wrote:

>> My most hated is one I don't have, the countertop pizza cooker. Spin
>> the pizza around and only heat it in one vector. No insulation to
>> retain heat, and most of the orbit, no heat exposure. What a screwed up
>> idea.

> Why in the world would anyone want a separate appliance
> just to cook pizza. That's what the oven is for! Good grief!
> I never heard of this thing before, guess I missed all the
> infomercials about it.

I have a friend who has one of those. Surprisingly, it actually works.
Still, it makes no sense. Since you're heating only a small section at a
time, it takes longer and the motor also draws power. Strictly a gimmick
for the gotta-have-one crowd.

nb