Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Specializing in cuisines from other countries/regions

blake murphy wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 21:31:58 -0400, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>> The Julia thread (and a few other recent threads) got me to thinking
>>> about this...
>>> Do you think that one can become an acknowledged "expert" at cooking
>>> authentic cuisine(s) from other countries/regions without actually
>>> living and/or studying a particular cuisine in the applicable
>>> country/region of origin?

>> It would be hard to become a truly accomplished master of another
>> culture's cuisine without living there, if only because the daily
>> ways in which people cook and eat wouldn't always come through in
>> cooking courses, private experimentation or cookbooks. There is also
>> the question of different ingredients that may not be available
>> outside the country under consideration. Still, I think one can
>> learn a lot about different cuisines without living in those
>> cultures. I already knew a lot about Indian food before actually
>> going there on a research grant in 2000.
>>
>>> Would taking a course (in your home country) or being taught 'how
>>> to' by a relative/friend who came from that country/region do the
>>> trick?

>> I think it would do some but not all of the trick. Who's to say that
>> the person teaching is considered the best cook? Even if they're
>> good at specific dishes, that may not mean they're great at
>> everything. So, I think comparison is very useful. Through
>> comparison, regional variants and individual family touches stand
>> out.
>>
>> Orlando

> and who's to say that being a native makes you 'great at everything'?
> does it mean you got rhythm?

Lotsa "natives" in Africa, seems not to prevent many of them from
starving...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" ha scritto nel messaggio

> Lotsa "natives" in Africa, seems not to prevent many of them from>
> starving...

And this would be because they are not good enough at cookery?

> Best
> Greg

If that's your best, you need tyo go back and practice some.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>>> My sister in law's stepdaughter is a bit of a loose cannon, to say the
>>> least. For years she has been talking about going to Greece and
>>> opening the ultimate Greek cooking school. She is not Greek. I don't
>>> know if they would even let her into the country because she is still
>>> living in a half way house after having spent close to a year in jail
>>> for fraud.

>> She could still qualify to live in France, ran into a lot of frauds in
>> France. Mostly trying to sell stuff to tourists.

> LOL I ran into one of those walking down the street in Paris. First he
> said that he thought we were American, but when I told him we were
> Canadian he loved Canadians and had a sister in Montreal. He was in
> Paris for business....fashion business, and wanted to give us a gift.
> He tried to give me a ugly cheap looking fake suede jacket. Except he
> wasn't actually giving it to me. All he needed was some money for gas to
> get back to Milan. I said "Nice try" and he yelled "Son of a bitch" at
> me. Maybe he would have still liked Canadians if I had given him a
> couple hundred dollars for an $20 jacket.

Either this is the new public sport in Italy or I ran into the same man.
Met him in Liechtenstein. Said he came from a fashion fair and had
a leather jacket left that would be too expensive to take through customs.
He'd give it to me for free; he just needed money for gas to go back to
Rome.
The world is a small place ;-)

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> Giusi > wrote:
>
>> "Cindy Fuller" ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>>> I have tried
>>> "blood cube" (exactly what it sounds like) before, but it's not
>>> something I would buy for my version of bun bo Hue (Vietnamese noodle
>>> soup).

>> IT doesn't sound so delish to the western ear the way you put it. Blood
>> cube sounds like a great idea for first aid, though.

> Huyet heo (pig's blood cubes) I've had in several dishes a local
> Vietnamese place (now closed, unfortunately) used to serve were very
> nearly tasteless and had no texture to speak of, either. They seemed
> pointless to me. Maybe they had the flavour cooked out of them, though.
>
> Victor

Did they thus mostly provide coloring?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Kuettner wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:

>>>She could still qualify to live in France, ran into a lot of frauds in
>>>France. Mostly trying to sell stuff to tourists.

>>LOL I ran into one of those walking down the street in Paris. First he
>>said that he thought we were American, but when I told him we were
>>Canadian he loved Canadians and had a sister in Montreal. He was in
>>Paris for business....fashion business, and wanted to give us a gift.
>>He tried to give me a ugly cheap looking fake suede jacket. Except he
>>wasn't actually giving it to me. All he needed was some money for gas to
>>get back to Milan. I said "Nice try" and he yelled "Son of a bitch" at
>>me. Maybe he would have still liked Canadians if I had given him a
>>couple hundred dollars for an $20 jacket.

> Either this is the new public sport in Italy or I ran into the same man.
> Met him in Liechtenstein. Said he came from a fashion fair and had
> a leather jacket left that would be too expensive to take through customs.
> He'd give it to me for free; he just needed money for gas to go back to
> Rome.
> The world is a small place ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Kuettner

I used to work on a street that had a lot of full time professional
panhandlers.

I eventually started telling them when they asked me for 'spare change'
that "there is no such thing" and then proceed to ask them how they came
by the concept of me having money that i don't need?

Contrary to what some of you may suspect im NOT The Queen of England or
Bill Gates, i don't have ANY money i don't need. Spare money! the mind
boggles!

Now im sure both The Queen and Mr. Gates have just such 'spare money'
but they probly don't stroll down Telegraph ave. in Berkeley ca. a lot
and get importuned by the 'panhandlers' they probly have to go to state
dinners and corporate functions to have a few millions extorted out of
them on behalf of 'charity' but then it is money they can spare. And
get a tax break for giving away.

I thought it interesting that, Bill Gates didn't want his children to
inherit mega wealth, they will be well off but not the way he is. The
bulk of his fortune is going to the Gates Foundation which, according to
what i have heard, is not a tax shelter for the family money but a real
foundation supporting research and projects to alleviate human
suffering. Course only time will tell just how altruistic his actions
are, to say nothing of effective.
--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Kuettner" > wrote in message
> Dave Smith wrote:

> Either this is the new public sport in Italy or I ran into the same man.
> Met him in Liechtenstein. Said he came from a fashion fair and had
> a leather jacket left that would be too expensive to take through customs.
> He'd give it to me for free; he just needed money for gas to go back to
> Rome.
> The world is a small place ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Kuettner

Probably the same guy working his way home. If Dave would have given the guy
a few Euros, he'd be home with his family. Oh, the poor guy. Maybe I'll fax
him some money.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
> > Giusi > wrote:

> >> IT doesn't sound so delish to the western ear the way you put it. Blood
> >> cube sounds like a great idea for first aid, though.

> > Huyet heo (pig's blood cubes) I've had in several dishes a local
> > Vietnamese place (now closed, unfortunately) used to serve were very
> > nearly tasteless and had no texture to speak of, either. They seemed
> > pointless to me. Maybe they had the flavour cooked out of them, though.
> >
> > Victor

> Did they thus mostly provide coloring?

I think it provides more protein and iron. It's a way to use all of the
pig, similar to making blood sausage in Europe.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
> >
> > Huyet heo (pig's blood cubes) I've had in several dishes a local
> > Vietnamese place (now closed, unfortunately) used to serve were very
> > nearly tasteless and had no texture to speak of, either. They seemed
> > pointless to me. Maybe they had the flavour cooked out of them, though.

> Did they thus mostly provide coloring?

Not much of it. They were little dark cubes in already colourful with
greenery, etc. soups and those who have no idea what they were would
have probably not even noticed them.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Michael Kuettner" > wrote in message
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>> Either this is the new public sport in Italy or I ran into the same man.
>> Met him in Liechtenstein. Said he came from a fashion fair and had
>> a leather jacket left that would be too expensive to take through customs.
>> He'd give it to me for free; he just needed money for gas to go back to
>> Rome.
>> The world is a small place ;-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Michael Kuettner

> Probably the same guy working his way home. If Dave would have given the guy
> a few Euros, he'd be home with his family. Oh, the poor guy. Maybe I'll fax
> him some money.

Yep. It's all my fault LOL
It was amusing to hear the guy. First he just loved Americans, but then
he loved Canadians. He was so friendly. But then when I caught on to his
scam and said "Nice try" He went postal and screamed at me. I still
chuckle when I think of that guy and his scam.

Europe seems to have lots of people with interesting schemes to get
money from suckers. One time when we were in Paris I cam across a
family in distress. Mom was lying on the ground have convulsions. Dad
and two kills are looking frantic. Parisians are walking around them
and ignoring them. Having had first aid training, I was thinking that I
should go over and offer to help, though there would be a language
problem. Then I realized that things just didn't look right. The kids
were only acting upset. So I sat back and watched for a bit. After a few
minutes they realized their game was working, Mom got up without any
help and they walked away.

Over the years I have watched cats teaching their kittens to catch and
kill mice. This was a Gypsy family teaching the young how to steal.
Preying on Good Samaritans is exceptionally tacky.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> The philosophy he follows is to get the best ingredients
> possible, treat them with respect, and present them in a way which
> highlights their qualities.

That's the mantra every cook is repeating nowadays in Italy, someone lies
and someone is telling the truth, and it's also the typical endline of a
good part of the positive restaurant reviews I read here and there, from
printed paper to TV to internet.
And the same words will be used even if the dishes were all totally
exaggerated, LOL, these "journalists".
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" ha scritto nel messaggio
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
>> The philosophy he follows is to get the best ingredients
>> possible, treat them with respect, and present them in a way which
>> highlights their qualities.

> That's the mantra every cook is repeating nowadays in Italy, someone lies
> > and someone is telling the truth, and it's also the typical endline of a
> > good part of the positive restaurant reviews I read here and there, from

> printed paper to TV to internet.> And the same words will be used even if
> the dishes were all totally exaggerated, LOL, these "journalists".
> --
> Vilco

I was hoping you would weigh in with a definition of exaggerated as provided
by an Italiano puro sangue.
Too bad you are so far away. There is a Milanese Couchsurfing here
Wednesday so we are planning a supper to make Umbria look good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "ViLco" ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>
>>> The philosophy he follows is to get the best ingredients
>>> possible, treat them with respect, and present them in a way which
>>> highlights their qualities.

>> That's the mantra every cook is repeating nowadays in Italy, someone
>> lies > and someone is telling the truth, and it's also the typical
>> endline of a > good part of the positive restaurant reviews I read
>> here and there, from printed paper to TV to internet.> And the same
>> words will be used even if the dishes were all totally exaggerated,
>> LOL, these "journalists". --
>> Vilco

> I was hoping you would weigh in with a definition of exaggerated as
> provided by an Italiano puro sangue.
> Too bad you are so far away. There is a Milanese Couchsurfing here
> Wednesday so we are planning a supper to make Umbria look good.

If I may help ;-P :

Minestra di riso
Pappardelle alla lepre
Anguilla in umido
Pollo alla cacciatora
Frittata ai funghi
Zuccotto

Although Zuccotto is from the Toskana, I think.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Kuettner > wrote:

> Giusi wrote:
> >
> > There is a Milanese Couchsurfing here
> > Wednesday so we are planning a supper to make Umbria look good.

> If I may help ;-P :
>
> Minestra di riso
> Pappardelle alla lepre
> Anguilla in umido
> Pollo alla cacciatora
> Frittata ai funghi
> Zuccotto
>
> Although Zuccotto is from the Toskana, I think.

So are pappardelle sulla lepre, most definitely; they are almost
emblematically Tuscan. Pollo alla cacciatora is very nearly
pan-Italian, but most certainly not particularly Umbrian. It is said
that if an Umbrian peasant is eating a chicken, then either the peasant
or the chicken must be unwell.

I'd suggest the following:

- prosciutti di cinghiale al finocchio
- barbozzo
- budellucci
- ciriole
- impastoiata
- tegamaccio
- carpa in porchetta alla moda umbra
- beccacce alla norcina (in case they are already in season)
- palombacci all'umbra
- cardi alla perugina
- castaldo tartufato

Now that would be a feast! Ah!

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:
> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Victor Sack wrote:

>>> Huyet heo (pig's blood cubes) I've had in several dishes a local
>>> Vietnamese place (now closed, unfortunately) used to serve were very
>>> nearly tasteless and had no texture to speak of, either. They seemed
>>> pointless to me. Maybe they had the flavour cooked out of them, though.
>>>
>>> Victor

>> Did they thus mostly provide coloring?

> I think it provides more protein and iron. It's a way to use all of the
> pig, similar to making blood sausage in Europe.
>
> Cindy

Ah. Thanks.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> Jean B. > wrote:
>
>> Victor Sack wrote:
>>> Huyet heo (pig's blood cubes) I've had in several dishes a local
>>> Vietnamese place (now closed, unfortunately) used to serve were very
>>> nearly tasteless and had no texture to speak of, either. They seemed
>>> pointless to me. Maybe they had the flavour cooked out of them, though.

>> Did they thus mostly provide coloring?

> Not much of it. They were little dark cubes in already colourful with
> greenery, etc. soups and those who have no idea what they were would
> have probably not even noticed them.
>
> Victor

I guess I won't feel too bad about never having had them. I don't
think I've ever seen them in any offerings.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 23:49:26 +0200, Victor Sack wrote:

>> Pollo alla cacciatora

[]
Pollo alla cacciatora is very nearly
> pan-Italian, but most certainly not particularly Umbrian. It is said
> that if an Umbrian peasant is eating a chicken, then either the peasant
> or the chicken must be unwell.

Pollo alla cacciatora is not the peasants chick, but the hunters.
The only chicks hunters eat are phaesants, so alla cacciatora means the
style of preparation.

--
Groet, salut, Wim.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Kuettner" ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi wrote:

>> I was hoping you would weigh in with a definition of exaggerated as>>
>> provided by an Italiano puro sangue.
>> Too bad you are so far away. There is a Milanese Couchsurfing here
>> Wednesday so we are planning a supper to make Umbria look good.

> If I may help ;-P :
>
> Minestra di riso
> Pappardelle alla lepre
> Anguilla in umido
> Pollo alla cacciatora
> Frittata ai funghi
> Zuccotto
>
> Although Zuccotto is from the Toskana, I think.

Esaggerato! LOL Is rather heavy, don't you think? Anguilla and riso are
not common in this part of Umbria at least. I am making summery foods and
hope to eat them outside.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wim van Bemmel wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
>
>> Pollo alla cacciatora is very nearly
>> pan-Italian, but most certainly not particularly Umbrian. It is said
>> that if an Umbrian peasant is eating a chicken, then either the peasant
>> or the chicken must be unwell.

> Pollo alla cacciatora is not the peasants chick, but the hunters.
> The only chicks hunters eat are phaesants, so alla cacciatora means the
> style of preparation.

The hunters in question are very often those same peasants.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Michael Kuettner" ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Giusi wrote:

>>> I was hoping you would weigh in with a definition of exaggerated as>>
>>> provided by an Italiano puro sangue.
>>> Too bad you are so far away. There is a Milanese Couchsurfing here
>>> Wednesday so we are planning a supper to make Umbria look good.

>> If I may help ;-P :
>>
>> Minestra di riso
>> Pappardelle alla lepre
>> Anguilla in umido
>> Pollo alla cacciatora
>> Frittata ai funghi
>> Zuccotto
>>
>> Although Zuccotto is from the Toskana, I think.

> Esaggerato! LOL Is rather heavy, don't you think? Anguilla and riso
> are not common in this part of Umbria at least. I am making summery
> foods and hope to eat them outside.

Oh, I didn't mean you prepare all of them. Those were just some
(allegedly) Umbrian dishes that came to mind.
Victor's suggestions sound good, too.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Kuettner" ha scritto nel messaggio > Oh, I didn't mean you prepare
all of them. Those were just some> (allegedly) Umbrian dishes that came to
mind.
> Victor's suggestions sound good, too.
> Michael Kuettner

Thanks anyway. I don't really have a hard time doing menus. I wasn't
asking Emilia-Romagna Vilco to help with the meal, I would have invited him
to it were he closer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 8, 10:20*am, Cindy Fuller >
wrote:
> In article >,
>
>*I'm not quite as pescophobic as my next door
> neighbor, but I can't bring myself to buy some of the dried/fermented
> fish products that are used in Southeast Asian dishes, even though I've
> undoubtedly eaten said dishes in restaurants many times. *I have tried
> "blood cube" (exactly what it sounds like) before, but it's not
> something I would buy for my version of bun bo Hue (Vietnamese noodle
> soup).

Vietnamese people (and some Asians) eat blood of animals. It is
considered delicacy. I doubt that it's in those cheap falvoring cube
for Bun Ho Hue but, in my opinion, those cubes have lots of artificl
flavor.

I have eaten tried Bun Ho Hue at restaurants in Houston. I like the
flavor but I am aware of the low quality of broth. There was only one
time that I like it. It was a bit more expensive and that restaurant
didn't last long. Americans go for cheap and big amount when it comes
to Asian food and so they probabky don't there much.

I have made something similar to Bun Ho Hue using Ox Tail. I just use
five spice and star anise.

> C.J. Fuller
>
> Delete the obvious to email me

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 9, 11:12*am, "Michael Kuettner" >
wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:

> Either this is the new public sport in Italy or I ran into the same man.
> Met him in Liechtenstein. Said he came from a fashion fair and had
> a leather jacket left that would be too expensive to take through customs..
> He'd give it to me for free; he just needed money for gas to go back to
> Rome.
> The world is a small place ;-)

You guys were at least offered something. I wasn't. And I wasn't even
a tourist but I was 22/23 years old and in my own city.

I was walking to go somewhere (not far form home). I had a bit of cash
in my purse for the activity I was heading for because during those
days, I was doing this and that (means passing through red tapes in
the police state and hence givign tips what actually were bribes) in
my planning to come to US.

The man was in his 50, I think. From the clothes I was wearing, he
could tell that I was well-to-do but he lucked out that I had that
much cash in my wallet for the intened purpose of where I was going at
that time. Usually, I carrried a lot of cash ONLY when going to cloth
shopping though.

With an accent of a tribal group, he told me that he missed the bus
to get back to his state and asked me for money. I knew he was lying
but he must have hypnotized me or something - he saw me from afar and
I was walking kind of leisurely that Sunday afternoon, he had plenty
of time to do that - and I couldn't stop my hand from reaching my
wallet and gave him all money but some loose change. Thinking about
it, I am glad that I didn't have more cash than I did like a few days
earlier when I had to go to the bank and gave compensation to the
government for college education since I was leaving the country. I
was afraid to carry that much cash and so my brother did come with me
at that time.

Influences From Other Cuisines tan Mexican Cooking 0 27-07-2011 05:37 PM
malay cuisines. sham General Cooking 8 07-09-2008 05:54 PM
Indian Cuisines Dipsee Vegan 3 03-11-2006 01:39 PM
Indian Cuisines Dipsee General Cooking 15 23-10-2006 02:22 AM
Bad Pizza ?...Specializing in Bad Food Lawsuits, Warwick Law & Associates Hansi General Cooking 7 03-06-2006 11:38 PM