Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thai Food and Oyster Sauce

Thai food was mentioned in the thread "Anchovies vs. Oyster sauce" and, by
coincidence, last night I had a one of my favorite Thai dishes with oyster
sauce - It was Phat Phak Khana Nam Man Hoi. The name means:

Phat Stir-Fry
Phak Khana Chinese Broccoli, or gailan in Chinese or Asian grocery store
Nam Man Hoi Oyster Sauce

Here's a pictu http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...82501/sizes/l/

The phak khana is stir-fried with garlic, "mu krop", and oyster sauce. When
it is served the phak khana is very well flavored and crunchy.

"Mu krop" is crispy fried pork goodness - It is "Mu sam chan" fried golden
brown and crunchy. "Mu sam chan" literally means:

Mu Pork
Sam Chand Three Layers

It is a chunk of meat from the pork's belly with the three layers of skin,
fat, and meat. Here's a picture of a slab of mu sam chan:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...7603576753446/

Also with the meal, we had Tom Yam Kung:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...82655/sizes/l/

Pla Meuk Krathiam (Garlic Squid):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...22229/sizes/l/

And Pu Thale Nueng (Steamed Sea Crab):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...n/photostream/

The claw on the sea crab is about 4 inches wide and the meat is very
sweet. We pick the meat out and dip it in Nam Chim Si Fut (Dipping Sauce for
Seafood):

19 green and red phrik ki nu sawan (smaller, very hot Thai chiles)
6 large green phrik ki nu
15 large red phrik ki nu
1/2 cup garlic with skin removed
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro root
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon granulated cane sugar
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup boiling water

Divide all chiles with garlic, cilantro root, salt, sugar and line juice.
Mix together until coarse. Pour into serving bowl or mixing bowl. Add boiling
water. Mix thoroughly. The taste should be sour, salty and little sweet.

--
Clay Irving >
You shouldn't think about *how* we're doing this. You should ask yourself,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-07, Clay Irving > wrote:

> Thai food was mentioned in the thread "Anchovies vs. Oyster sauce" and, by
> coincidence, last night I had a one of my favorite Thai dishes with oyster
> sauce - It was Phat Phak Khana Nam Man Hoi. The name means:
>
> Phat Stir-Fry
> Phak Khana Chinese Broccoli, or gailan in Chinese or Asian grocery store
> Nam Man Hoi Oyster Sauce
>
> Here's a pictu http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...82501/sizes/l/
>
> The phak khana is stir-fried with garlic, "mu krop", and oyster sauce. When
> it is served the phak khana is very well flavored and crunchy.
>
> "Mu krop" is crispy fried pork goodness - It is "Mu sam chan" fried golden
> brown and crunchy. "Mu sam chan" literally means:
>
> Mu Pork
> Sam Chan Three Layers
>
> It is a chunk of meat from the pork's belly with the three layers of skin,
> fat, and meat. Here's a picture of a slab of mu sam chan:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...7603576753446/

I should note that the dish is sometimes called "Phat Khana Mu Krop":

1 pound Chinese broccoli, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 to 2/3 pound mu krop (crispy-fried pork), cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 teaspoon phrik Thai (ground white pepper)
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
1/2 cup soup stock
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
sliced chiles, optional

Place a wok on medium heat and put in oil. When it is hot, add the broccoli
and stock and stir-fry until slightly done. Season with oyster sauce, pepper
and chile. Turn up the heat to high, and the pork, stir for a while and serve.

In Thailand it is common to buy mu krop ready-made. To make it yourself:

4 1/2 pounds of pork belly
3 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons ground pepper
1/4 cup water
vegetable oil for deep-frying

Wash the pork and then boil until the skin is tender but still firm. Puncture
the entire skin surface with the tines of a fork, sprinkle the surface of the
pork with salt, pepper and vinegar, rinse with water and then allow to dry.

Place a wok on medium heat, pour in the oil, and when hot, deep-fry the pork
until golden brown. Drain. Cut the pork lengthwise into strips, then crosswise
into bite-size pieces.

--
Clay Irving >
REFERENDUM, n. A law for submission of proposed legislation to a popular
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clay Irving wrote:
> Thai food was mentioned in the thread "Anchovies vs. Oyster sauce" and, by
> coincidence, last night I had a one of my favorite Thai dishes with oyster
> sauce - It was Phat Phak Khana Nam Man Hoi. The name means:

God, Clay, those pictures are so tempting! Did you make the food, or eat
out?

Serene
--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-07, Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> God, Clay, those pictures are so tempting! Did you make the food, or eat
> out?

We were at Tankay Seafood on Walking Street in Pattaya, Thailand:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...83026/sizes/l/

--
Clay Irving >
I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep. That's
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clay Irving wrote:
> On 2009-08-07, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>
>> God, Clay, those pictures are so tempting! Did you make the food, or eat
>> out?

> We were at Tankay Seafood on Walking Street in Pattaya, Thailand:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...83026/sizes/l/

Is that really 190 Baht (~ US$5.60) per pound for lobster? May I stow
away on your next trip to Thailand?

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote in news:7e1ndkF2ef3b9U4
@mid.individual.net:

> Clay Irving wrote:
>> On 2009-08-07, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>>
>>> God, Clay, those pictures are so tempting! Did you make the food, or eat
>>> out?

>> We were at Tankay Seafood on Walking Street in Pattaya, Thailand:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...83026/sizes/l/
>>

> Is that really 190 Baht (~ US$5.60) per pound for lobster? May I stow
> away on your next trip to Thailand?

1 lb would be 453grams (approx)..... that price on the board is for 100g.

I Aussie $$'s it works out to just over $33 per 1/2kg (500g).... which is
bloody expensive!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clay Irving > wrote in
:

> Thai food was mentioned in the thread "Anchovies vs. Oyster sauce" and,
> by coincidence, last night I had a one of my favorite Thai dishes with
> oyster sauce - It was Phat Phak Khana Nam Man Hoi. The name means:
>
> Phat Stir-Fry
> Phak Khana Chinese Broccoli, or gailan in Chinese or Asian grocery
> store Nam Man Hoi Oyster Sauce
>
> Here's a pictu
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...82501/sizes/l/

You have one fine life over there!!

I *love* Thai food!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-07, Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> Is that really 190 Baht (~ US$5.60) per pound for lobster? May I stow
> away on your next trip to Thailand?

It is. Our meal last night was about $35USD.

--
Clay Irving >
I guess we were all guilty, in a way. We all shot him, we all skinned him,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter wrote:

>> Is that really 190 Baht (~ US$5.60) per pound for lobster? May I stow
>> away on your next trip to Thailand?

> 1 lb would be 453grams (approx)..... that price on the board is for 100g.
>
> I Aussie $$'s it works out to just over $33 per 1/2kg (500g).... which is
> bloody expensive!!

Works out to $25.40 (US) per pound. Bugger those cheeky *******s!!!!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clay Irving > wrote in
:

> On 2009-08-07, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>
>> Is that really 190 Baht (~ US$5.60) per pound for lobster? May I stow
>> away on your next trip to Thailand?

> It is. Our meal last night was about $35USD.

Doesn't the sign say 'per 100g'??

100g is only 3.5oz

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:
> Serene Vannoy > wrote in news:7e1ndkF2ef3b9U4
> @mid.individual.net:
>> Is that really 190 Baht (~ US$5.60) per pound for lobster? May I stow
>> away on your next trip to Thailand?
>>

> 1 lb would be 453grams (approx)..... that price on the board is for 100g.

Wow, my brain totally wasn't working there, was it? I bothered doing one
conversion, but not the other. Thanks!

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote in news:7e1sf1F2ef3b9U6
@mid.individual.net:

> PeterL wrote:
>> Serene Vannoy > wrote in news:7e1ndkF2ef3b9U4
>> @mid.individual.net:
>>> Is that really 190 Baht (~ US$5.60) per pound for lobster? May I stow
>>> away on your next trip to Thailand?
>>>

>> 1 lb would be 453grams (approx)..... that price on the board is for 100g.

> Wow, my brain totally wasn't working there, was it? I bothered doing one
> conversion, but not the other. Thanks!
>
> Serene

No sweat. At least you know how much it costs in USD per 100g, which is the
important part :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:
> Clay Irving > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 2009-08-07, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>>
>>> Is that really 190 Baht (~ US$5.60) per pound for lobster? May I stow
>>> away on your next trip to Thailand?

>> It is. Our meal last night was about $35USD.
>>

> Doesn't the sign say 'per 100g'??

No it DOES NOT say that Mr world traveller
And Pattaya is expensive compared to where
the good sea food is .

One Painted Cray last December $4.00 Aus
At Sattahip . $6.00 at Rayong .

Again you guessed and got it wrong

As I recall you said you did not go to Thailand on your hols
because you were AFRAID LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clay Irving wrote:
> Thai food was mentioned in the thread "Anchovies vs. Oyster sauce" and, by
> coincidence, last night I had a one of my favorite Thai dishes with oyster
> sauce - It was Phat Phak Khana Nam Man Hoi. The name means:
>
> Phat Stir-Fry
> Phak Khana Chinese Broccoli, or gailan in Chinese or Asian grocery store
> Nam Man Hoi Oyster Sauce
>
> Here's a pictu http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...82501/sizes/l/
>
> The phak khana is stir-fried with garlic, "mu krop", and oyster sauce. When
> it is served the phak khana is very well flavored and crunchy.
>
> "Mu krop" is crispy fried pork goodness - It is "Mu sam chan" fried golden
> brown and crunchy. "Mu sam chan" literally means:
>
> Mu Pork
> Sam Chand Three Layers
>
> It is a chunk of meat from the pork's belly with the three layers of skin,
> fat, and meat. Here's a picture of a slab of mu sam chan:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...7603576753446/
>
> Also with the meal, we had Tom Yam Kung:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...82655/sizes/l/
>
> Pla Meuk Krathiam (Garlic Squid):
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...22229/sizes/l/
>
> And Pu Thale Nueng (Steamed Sea Crab):
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...n/photostream/
>
> The claw on the sea crab is about 4 inches wide and the meat is very
> sweet. We pick the meat out and dip it in Nam Chim Si Fut (Dipping Sauce for
> Seafood):
>
> 19 green and red phrik ki nu sawan (smaller, very hot Thai chiles)
> 6 large green phrik ki nu
> 15 large red phrik ki nu
> 1/2 cup garlic with skin removed
> 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro root
> 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sea salt
> 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon granulated cane sugar
> 1/2 cup lime juice
> 1/2 cup boiling water
>
> Divide all chiles with garlic, cilantro root, salt, sugar and line juice.
> Mix together until coarse. Pour into serving bowl or mixing bowl. Add boiling
> water. Mix thoroughly. The taste should be sour, salty and little sweet.

Oh yay! I was hoping you'd show up, given the current talk about
Thai food!

I am also reminded to suggest that Om check out your site for
recipes as vs. just searching and possibly finding some awful
things. <---Take note, Om.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-07, Jean B. > wrote:

> Oh yay! I was hoping you'd show up, given the current talk about
> Thai food!
>
> I am also reminded to suggest that Om check out your site for
> recipes as vs. just searching and possibly finding some awful
> things. <---Take note, Om.

Something like the "pig guts" I had for breakfast yesterday? I ordered
Kuaitiao Mu Tom Yam (Rice Noodles with Pork in a spicy Tom Yam broth), but
my wife ordered a soup with "pig innards" - It had big blocks of cooked
blood, liver, intestines, and some parts that I'm not quite sure what they
were. She was kind enough to give these tasty bits to me.

For breakfast today, we went to the market and ate Kuaitio Pet Yang:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirving/3653435224/

It is just incredibly good. The condiments served with it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirving/3797462124/

I added a little nam phrik phao (roast chile paste) and phrik dong
(chiles in vineger). Delicious!

--
Clay Irving >
It's not peace I want, not mere contentment. It's boundless joy and

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 02:48:52 +0000 (UTC), Clay Irving wrote:

> Pla Meuk Krathiam (Garlic Squid):
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...22229/sizes/l/

I've never seen squid cooked with the "skin" still on it. Does it
add anything to the dish?

Great photos.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

You had a site on Thai Food, IIRC. What was the URL again?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Sqwertz wrote:

> You had a site on Thai Food, IIRC. What was the URL again?

This is the site that I have bookmarked for him -- there' more than Thai
there!

(Good stuff, Clay!)

Clay's Kitchen
http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 02:48:52 +0000 (UTC), Clay Irving wrote:
>
> > Pla Meuk Krathiam (Garlic Squid):
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...22229/sizes/l/

> I've never seen squid cooked with the "skin" still on it. Does it
> add anything to the dish?
>
> Great photos.

I've seen Lidia Bastianich do it with the skin on,
for a salad, I believe. She said it adds color,
which it does. I'd never do it that way, except
maybe for the tentacles which can't be completely
peeled anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-08, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 02:48:52 +0000 (UTC), Clay Irving wrote:
>
>> Pla Meuk Krathiam (Garlic Squid):
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...22229/sizes/l/

> I've never seen squid cooked with the "skin" still on it. Does it
> add anything to the dish?

I don't think so, but it was cooked just right and was very tender. I
believe I mentioned in a previous post, what makes it unique is the
squid eggs stir-fried with the dish - Absolutely delicious!

--
Clay Irving >
Great art is a irrational as great music. It is mad with its own

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clay Irving wrote:
> On 2009-08-07, Jean B. > wrote:
>
>> Oh yay! I was hoping you'd show up, given the current talk about
>> Thai food!
>>
>> I am also reminded to suggest that Om check out your site for
>> recipes as vs. just searching and possibly finding some awful
>> things. <---Take note, Om.

> Something like the "pig guts" I had for breakfast yesterday? I ordered
> Kuaitiao Mu Tom Yam (Rice Noodles with Pork in a spicy Tom Yam broth), but
> my wife ordered a soup with "pig innards" - It had big blocks of cooked
> blood, liver, intestines, and some parts that I'm not quite sure what they
> were. She was kind enough to give these tasty bits to me.
>
> For breakfast today, we went to the market and ate Kuaitio Pet Yang:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirving/3653435224/
>
> It is just incredibly good. The condiments served with it:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirving/3797462124/
>
> I added a little nam phrik phao (roast chile paste) and phrik dong
> (chiles in vineger). Delicious!

Per usual when you post, I'm drooling.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Still relevant to this thread since two of the dishes contained oyster sauce,
is dinner last night:

Pla Muek Phat Khai Khem (Squid and Salted Eggs Stir-Fried)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...69733/sizes/l/

Pla Muek Phat Kaphrao (Fried Squid with Chili and Hot Basil)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...77393/sizes/l/

Yam Mu Yang (Spicy Grilled Pork Salad)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...96831/sizes/l/

Roasted Fish - Not sure what the Thai name is...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...07911/sizes/l/

--
Clay Irving >
You know I could rent you out as a decoy for duck hunters?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clay Irving wrote:
> Still relevant to this thread since two of the dishes contained oyster sauce,
> is dinner last night:
>
> Pla Muek Phat Khai Khem (Squid and Salted Eggs Stir-Fried)
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...69733/sizes/l/
>
> Pla Muek Phat Kaphrao (Fried Squid with Chili and Hot Basil)
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...77393/sizes/l/
>
> Yam Mu Yang (Spicy Grilled Pork Salad)
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...96831/sizes/l/
>
> Roasted Fish - Not sure what the Thai name is...
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...07911/sizes/l/

Clay, why your interest in things Thai food ?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-09, Phil..c <invalid@invalid> wrote:

> Clay, why your interest in things Thai food ?

Um, it could be that I *like* Thai food. It could be that I'm currently in
Thailand. Maybe it could be that my wife is Thai, but my love of Thai food
preceded my visits to Thailand or my wife.

Thai food is high on the list of many types of food that I enjoy.

--
Clay Irving >
We have *so* much space!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clay Irving wrote:
> On 2009-08-09, Phil..c <invalid@invalid> wrote:
>
>> Clay, why your interest in things Thai food ?

> Um, it could be that I *like* Thai food. It could be that I'm currently in
> Thailand. Maybe it could be that my wife is Thai, but my love of Thai food
> preceded my visits to Thailand or my wife.
>
> Thai food is high on the list of many types of food that I enjoy.

Thanks Clay , thought as much

Have you yet been down to Bang Saen and Ang Sila ?

If you like sea food when in Chom Buri city

visit OW OOM
or contact me off ng at spamlister at g Mail dot com
and will send mud map ( In Thai and English )
and contact numbers for the owners (friends of mine for many years )

Also in Bang Saen you may wish to visit two mates
one a Mom and another a dab hand in Culinary arts
and has Royal Patronage for his cooking school .

BTW My First taste of Thai was when at Boarding School
Many (as was called in those days ) Siamese Students .
Given how lousy the school food was what we boarders made up
probably saved our sanity/taste buds and lives .

Regards

Lets just say the suffix to my bestowed Thai name is

Na Ayutthaya

Thus certainly aware of what goes on within the Kingdom .

Cheers

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clay Irving wrote:
> On 2009-08-09, Phil..c <invalid@invalid> wrote:
>
>> Clay, why your interest in things Thai food ?

> Um, it could be that I *like* Thai food. It could be that I'm currently in
> Thailand. Maybe it could be that my wife is Thai, but my love of Thai food
> preceded my visits to Thailand or my wife.
>
> Thai food is high on the list of many types of food that I enjoy.

What other cuisines rank as high? I guess I merely need to visit
your site again to refresh my memory.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-09, Jean B. > wrote:
> Clay Irving wrote:
>> On 2009-08-09, Phil..c <invalid@invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Clay, why your interest in things Thai food ?

>> Um, it could be that I *like* Thai food. It could be that I'm currently in
>> Thailand. Maybe it could be that my wife is Thai, but my love of Thai food
>> preceded my visits to Thailand or my wife.
>>
>> Thai food is high on the list of many types of food that I enjoy.
>>

> What other cuisines rank as high? I guess I merely need to visit
> your site again to refresh my memory.

Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, Italian, Vietnamese, French, Korean, Mexican,
and a whole rainbow of American styles like Southern, Cajun, Southwestern,
and the different styles of barbeque (Memphis, Carolinas, Kansas City,
Texas) - I think I just realized I like about everything!

--
Clay Irving >
We have *so* much space!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clay Irving wrote:
> On 2009-08-09, Jean B. > wrote:
>> Clay Irving wrote:

>>> Um, it could be that I *like* Thai food. It could be that I'm currently in
>>> Thailand. Maybe it could be that my wife is Thai, but my love of Thai food
>>> preceded my visits to Thailand or my wife.
>>>
>>> Thai food is high on the list of many types of food that I enjoy.
>>>

>> What other cuisines rank as high? I guess I merely need to visit
>> your site again to refresh my memory.

> Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, Italian, Vietnamese, French, Korean, Mexican,
> and a whole rainbow of American styles like Southern, Cajun, Southwestern,
> and the different styles of barbeque (Memphis, Carolinas, Kansas City,
> Texas) - I think I just realized I like about everything!

Or just about. I do tend to associate you with Asian, and
particularly SE Asian, cuisines.

--
Jean B.

Oyster Sauce & Fish Sauce xxtamxx General Cooking 11 09-09-2011 05:23 PM
Thai Food | Benjarong Thai Food Restaurant - Chennai | A Slice ofThailand on your Plate mamta Asian Cooking 0 26-10-2009 08:37 AM
Good Oyster Sauce Steve Wertz[_1_] Asian Cooking 12 13-04-2007 04:31 AM
Oyster Sauce Chicken Duckie ® Recipes 0 11-06-2005 12:02 AM
oyster sauce + MSG David Downie Asian Cooking 46 24-02-2005 03:13 AM