Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Used Cookbooks

I mentioned in another thread that I had bought a 1956 used Betty
Crocker Cookbook a few years ago. It is a 3 ring binder full of
clippings, so yesterday I went through it and removed the clippings. I
put them in a baggie.

The previous owner was meticulous about making notes. The front and
back covers have notes about things she bought and labels taped to the
book. I know that she acquired the book on Feb. 13, 1957. There was a
sheet of paper with cake recipe. On it she listed every time she made
it from 1961 to 1989. She made it about4 time a year up to about
1976. The last time was June 18, 1989. I am going to go through the
written recipes carefully and probably put them into Mastercook. She
also noted who gave her the recipes and the date. I am also going to
check the newspaper recipes and keep any that she tried and marked as
"good."

She also noted each recipe in the book that she used. Some marked
"good" and I saw one that had a big X through it. One more batch of
recipes to transcribe. I still have Mother's, my MIL's and my Aunt's
to do.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 4, 10:27*am, The Cook > wrote:
> I mentioned in another thread that I had bought a 1956 used Betty
> Crocker Cookbook a few years ago. *It is a 3 ring binder full of
> clippings, so yesterday I went through it and removed the clippings. I
> put them in a baggie.
>
> The previous owner was meticulous about making notes. *The front and
> back covers have notes about things she bought and labels taped to the
> book. I know that she acquired the book on Feb. 13, 1957. *There was a
> sheet of paper with cake recipe. *On it she listed every time she made
> it from 1961 to 1989. *She made it about4 time a year up to about
> 1976. *The last time was June 18, 1989. *I am going to go through the
> written recipes carefully and probably put them into Mastercook. *She
> also noted who gave her the recipes and the date. *I am also going to
> check the newspaper recipes and keep any that she tried and marked as
> "good."
>
> She also noted each recipe in the book that she used. *Some marked
> "good" and I saw one that had a big X through it. *One more batch of
> recipes to transcribe. *I still have Mother's, my MIL's and my Aunt's
> to do.

Good point. I'm surprised you're doing this stranger's (who is as OCD
as anyone I've ever met!) opus before your family's, but she sounds
like a cook to emulate.

Ok. Not OCD. meticulous.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:
> I mentioned in another thread that I had bought a 1956 used Betty
> Crocker Cookbook a few years ago. It is a 3 ring binder full of
> clippings, so yesterday I went through it and removed the clippings. I
> put them in a baggie.
>
> The previous owner was meticulous about making notes. The front and
> back covers have notes about things she bought and labels taped to the
> book. I know that she acquired the book on Feb. 13, 1957. There was a
> sheet of paper with cake recipe. On it she listed every time she made
> it from 1961 to 1989. She made it about4 time a year up to about
> 1976. The last time was June 18, 1989. I am going to go through the
> written recipes carefully and probably put them into Mastercook. She
> also noted who gave her the recipes and the date. I am also going to
> check the newspaper recipes and keep any that she tried and marked as
> "good."
>
> She also noted each recipe in the book that she used. Some marked
> "good" and I saw one that had a big X through it. One more batch of
> recipes to transcribe. I still have Mother's, my MIL's and my Aunt's
> to do.

That's very neat. The previous owner does sound a bit compulsive
though.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 16:20:48 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>The Cook wrote:
>> I mentioned in another thread that I had bought a 1956 used Betty
>> Crocker Cookbook a few years ago. It is a 3 ring binder full of
>> clippings, so yesterday I went through it and removed the clippings. I
>> put them in a baggie.
>>
>> The previous owner was meticulous about making notes. The front and
>> back covers have notes about things she bought and labels taped to the
>> book. I know that she acquired the book on Feb. 13, 1957. There was a
>> sheet of paper with cake recipe. On it she listed every time she made
>> it from 1961 to 1989. She made it about4 time a year up to about
>> 1976. The last time was June 18, 1989. I am going to go through the
>> written recipes carefully and probably put them into Mastercook. She
>> also noted who gave her the recipes and the date. I am also going to
>> check the newspaper recipes and keep any that she tried and marked as
>> "good."
>>
>> She also noted each recipe in the book that she used. Some marked
>> "good" and I saw one that had a big X through it. One more batch of
>> recipes to transcribe. I still have Mother's, my MIL's and my Aunt's
>> to do.

>That's very neat. The previous owner does sound a bit compulsive
>though.

OCD was my first thought.

I have a friend who keeps a diary and she notes the meals. Maybe not
every day but at least when she has company. That part is good since
I can tell her that whatever it was I had on my last visit was great
and I would like it again.
--
Susan N.

New Cookbooks on Their Way gloria.p General Cooking 2 29-03-2010 02:34 AM
Cookbooks aem General Cooking 0 12-12-2007 07:27 PM
NEW COOKBOOKS [email protected] General Cooking 0 05-02-2007 04:01 AM
COOKBOOKS,NEW ONES [email protected] General Cooking 1 03-02-2007 08:19 PM
cookbooks... ~*~ Bunny ~*~ Recipes 3 16-10-2004 03:40 AM